logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline snap_itshannah  
#1 Posted : 10 July 2015 02:47:44(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6355 time(s) in 2888 post(s)
UserPostedImage
TITLE: Things Only People Who've Broken Something Pretty Will Understand
ARTIST: Sam Thatcher
WRITERS: Sam Thatcher
LENGTH: 2:28
GENRE: Folk, folk rock
PRODUCER: Sam Thatcher
RELEASED: July 9th, 2015
LABEL: Just Record Records
From the Album: ... Human Disaster (Released: April 5th, 2015)

"Things Only People Who've Broken Something Pretty Will Understand" is one of the few true love songs on the album. It is obvious in the way that Sam's voice sounds as he sings that he is absolutely crazy about the girl that he's singing about, despite anything else in the world. It's also a true folk song, with very few other instruments being featured besides just Sam's voice and his acoustic guitar. As the penultimate song, "Thing Only People..." is the album leading up to it's closing number, trying to give the listeners a happy feeling as the album comes to an end. It's rumored that this track is written about Sam Thatcher's girlfriend, indie singer Evalyn Dixon.

There's a short acoustic intro to the song - although the guitar being played is soft and slow, there's an upbeatness to it that's hard to deny. Sam's voice, also slow and soft, sounds genuinely happy as he sings. He sings directly to the woman he's talking about in the song as he tells her that her body is doing things to the barometer that thunderstorms can only dream about. He compares her throughout the song to a lot of different types of weather, but in this moment, what she's doing with her body is so amazing that it can only be compared to a thunderstorm, and he's the barometer. The way that she's looks and acts when they're together makes his entire bedroom wet - so wet, he mentions, that the rain is jealous of the way that she can warp the books in his room. Her tells her that he would watch water trickle down any part of her. The title of the song should be remembered, as what he means by this is that people who have broken something pretty realize that there was something beautiful in the world, and then they took it out of it - so they start to recognize beautiful in other things to try to make up for the thing that they have destroyed. Sam recognizes the beautiful in thunderstorms and sleet and tornadoes, and he compares his girlfriend to these things, finding situations which would be considered normal (rain trickling off their body during a storm, for instance) as some of the most beautiful things on earth.

In the chorus, his voice picks up a bit - but not too much, as the whole song tends to stay on one level the entire time - as he tells her that sleet is collecting around her lips as the tropical storms range in the rainforest that's in her head. It's a beautiful image of a woman who has a combination of snow and rain collecting around her lips (giving a possible metaphorical meaning that the words that she says are equal parts beautiful as they are deep, as rain is normally used to signify a rebirth of some kind in literature, and snow is usually used in literature to show something beautiful and pure covering the ugliness of the world - covering it's sharp edges and corners. In this way, Sam is saying that the woman he is singing about makes him forget about all the evil in the world, and has given him almost a "new him.") The rainforest in her head - wild and mysterious - has tropical storms raging inside of it, showing that while the words she's saying are beautiful and pure and deep, inside, she's very mysterious and maybe a little dark. But Sam loves her for this anyway, almost worshiping that part of her.

He focuses more on this dark, mysterious part of her in the second verse as he sings that there are nimbus clouds gathering in the hidden spaces between their held hands - the nimbus cloud is the one that produces the precipitation, comparing her once again to a storm, saying that although they may not realize it yet, they're creating something beautiful together just by being together. He finishes the second verse by telling her that he has a theory that the idea of tornadoes are much more dangerous than the real thing. This is him more explaining to the audience that the girl he is singing about in the song might be considered weird or wild or crazy and destructive - but those are all just stories and rumors. To other people, she is a tornado (unpredictable, crazy, dangerous) but the idea of thinking that she's a tornado is more dangerous than what she really is. To others, she the tornado, but to him, she's the beautiful tropical storm. The chorus repeats, and the acoustic guitar fades out, leaving the listener with a happy feeling of knowing that intellectual women who have possibly been spoken poorly of in the past can still be loved.

Your body is doing things
To the barometer that
Thunderstorms can only dream about
The rain outside is jealous of the way
You make the bedroom damp
Warping all my George Saunders books
I would watch water trickle down
Any part of you

Sleet and more sleet
Collects around your lips
Tropical storms in the
Rainforest of your head

Nimbus clouds gathering
In the hidden spaces between our held hands
See, I've got this theory that
The idea of a tornado
Is more dangerous than the real thing

Sleet and more sleet
Collects around your lips
Tropical storms in the
Rainforest of your head
thanks 12 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
erich hess on 10/07/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 10/07/2015(UTC), BrownSugar on 10/07/2015(UTC), freestylechamp on 10/07/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 10/07/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 10/07/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 10/07/2015(UTC), PANIC! on 10/07/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 11/07/2015(UTC), kandii on 12/07/2015(UTC), Atonic Records on 12/07/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 13/07/2015(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2015 00:39:59(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
OOC: Wait has anybody told you that your lyrics are still perfect and deeper than blood and the long titles are like little life lessons in eight words? I loved how you just gave the full "indie" experience with every element of Human Disaster because it was such a brilliant album and for once one of our characters on here are just simply artists. I am in love with this and get to feel smart for actually getting the lyrics LOL Keep doing what you do Hannah.

Edited by user 12 July 2015 00:42:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline snap_itshannah  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2015 02:29:36(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: kandii Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Wait has anybody told you that your lyrics are still perfect and deeper than blood and the long titles are like little life lessons in eight words? I loved how you just gave the full "indie" experience with every element of Human Disaster because it was such a brilliant album and for once one of our characters on here are just simply artists. I am in love with this and get to feel smart for actually getting the lyrics LOL Keep doing what you do Hannah.

OOC: Awww!! Thank you so much, Semeria! I was really hoping that Sam's album seemed realistically indie, so that means a lot. (: Thank you so much again! You're so sweet.
Offline Famouss7x7  
#4 Posted : 12 July 2015 08:23:14(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
James Urie: Thank god for you, Sam! I love an artist who will do whatever they please musically and doesn't overly try to please the masses of Top 40 radio. You've created your own lane musically and it has come complete with strong lyrics and message and unique song titles! This was definitely a favorite from your album so I am glad to see this was chosen as a single. Best of luck to you, man. I see you going very far.

Edited by user 12 July 2015 08:30:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

Offline Welat65  
#5 Posted : 12 July 2015 21:52:03(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
EzraOfficial: This song is so beautiful. I can't really explain how I felt but I felt something strong and a song which makes me feel this way - is a really great song. I just love everything about it.
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
Offline genocidal king  
#6 Posted : 12 July 2015 22:02:00(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Katie: Folk music <3 you've got to love the simplicity and the way you can tell such a powerful story with such a little in terms of instruments and production. That's a real skill. I love it. You're a true star, so understated :)
UserPostedImage
Offline snap_itshannah  
#7 Posted : 14 July 2015 03:15:46(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
James Urie: Thank god for you, Sam! I love an artist who will do whatever they please musically and doesn't overly try to please the masses of Top 40 radio. You've created your own lane musically and it has come complete with strong lyrics and message and unique song titles! This was definitely a favorite from your album so I am glad to see this was chosen as a single. Best of luck to you, man. I see you going very far.

Sam: Aw, man, thanks so much. I'm just tryin' to stay my own person, you know what I mean? Just being Sam, ha. Thanks a lot again, man. That means a lot.
Offline snap_itshannah  
#8 Posted : 14 July 2015 03:18:36(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
EzraOfficial: This song is so beautiful. I can't really explain how I felt but I felt something strong and a song which makes me feel this way - is a really great song. I just love everything about it.

Sam: Thank you, sweetheart. That's real nice of you to say. Hope I keep you listenin' for a while. Thanks again.
Offline snap_itshannah  
#9 Posted : 14 July 2015 03:24:17(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Katie: Folk music <3 you've got to love the simplicity and the way you can tell such a powerful story with such a little in terms of instruments and production. That's a real skill. I love it. You're a true star, so understated :)

Sam: Oh, definitely, sweetheart - folk music is the best. I feel the best connection to what I'm singin' when it's just me and my guitar. It makes me real happy to hear that you can feel the story I'm tryin' to tell as well. Thank you muchly, Katie. You're a real darlin'.
thanks 1 user thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
genocidal king on 14/07/2015(UTC)