logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 09 October 2018 06:09:26(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19116 time(s) in 7587 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Artist(s): Victoria Black, Kidd Amaze
Title: Religion
Genre(s): Dancehall, Pop, Synthpop
Length: 3:48
Writers: Victoria Black, Christopher Hudson, TJ Cousins
Producer: Deneil
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: TBC

Religion is a song by British singer, songwriter and actress Victoria Black featuring a guest verse from American rapper Kidd Amaze. The song was released worldwide on October 8th 2018 and serves as the lead single from Black's upcoming third studio album as well as her first release since 2014. While the song could technically be classed as a pop record, there are light undertones of dancehall, dance and electronica, giving the song a "darker" overall tone. "Religion", as suggested by the title, heavily uses liturgical words which Black twists into sexual metaphors while Kidd's verse compares religious beliefs and following to the mindless fan culture in today's society. The song was written by Victoria Black and acclaimed songwriter Christopher Hudson before being presented to Amaze at a later date. Production was handled by Deneil, a long-time collaborator of Black's who also executive produced her sophomore album, Beautiful Mess.

Black originally started work on her third album back in 2015, hot off the heals of the success of her Beautiful Mess record which was heralded as a triumphant return to music. Victoria had been locked in a legal battle for 3 years with her original record label and was unable to release a full body of work until the eventual lawsuit win and move to Five Pesky Kids. Black intended on making up for lost time and vowed never to take such a lengthy break from music again, however, she fell pregnant in early 2016 and all plans for album three were put on hold. Victoria and her boyfriend, fellow musician Kato, welcomed their twins Willow Rose and Blue Comyns on October 20th 2016. It was not until early 2018 that Victoria decided to return to the studio, scrapping previous recordings and starting fresh. After the success of the Beautiful Mess album which was filled with "big vocal moments", Black set out to record a follow up in the same vain and wanted to focus mainly on ballads. After the birth of her twins, Victoria decided to work on a more "upbeat", "fun" and "positive" project, citing her "new lease of life" as her inspiration.

"Religion" was written and recorded in March 2018 following several sessions with Christopher Hudson as well as meetings with close friend Deneil. Black didn't want to stray too far from her "dark" and "edgy" styling while also injecting something "new" and "different" into her work. She has described this track as "unapologetic fun", gearing towards a more contemporary style of pop music than what was heard on her last album. Many critics have referred to it as the "deserved follow-up to Disco Chick", a highly successful single from her 2011 debut album. The song has many liturgical references used as metaphors for sex, temptation and seduction. In the song, Black suggests that she and her partner worship each other's bodies like it's their religion - far more sexually charged than her past releases. Critics have compared the lyrical content to that of the work of Madonna due to the Christian symbolism mixed with erotica.

"I feel like Religion was the perfect track to return with. It not only returns to the more pop sounds I started out with back as a member of Brown Sugar and my early work but it reunites myself, Christopher Hudson and Deneil. We've created many tracks before but on this new album they didn't have as much input. I worked with a lot of new and different writers and producers so this song was a nice way to bridge the gap between the past and the present. When I started this project earlier this year, I knew I wanted to be unapologetic with the fact that I'm a pop artist and I can still be authentic and heavily involved in my art. Just because something is catchy doesn't mean it's less artistic. I think with my last album, as much as I love it, it was mainly about me belting notes and being all "Hey, look! I can SING!! Listen to me BELT!" to my naysayers and old label. For this album I just wanted to have fun, be more relaxed and genuine."

The "grown up" lyrics and the decision to collaborate with Kidd Amaze has drawn a mainly positive response thus far. Kirsten McCormack from Daily Mail praised the crossing over of the artists; "Victoria is now ready to play serious pop star after several setbacks. With Kidd in tow, also making a return to music, the pair are ready to shake things up and show them how it's done". Lewis Corner from Digital Spy also picked up on the change of direction and commented that people would be "shocked," but then added that "when it results in pop music perfection like this, we hope she continues to take more risks." The Guardian's Michael Cragg called "Religion" a return to the more "subdued" templates of her earlier work and similar to that of Kato's, stating that it lacked the "bite" and "skin tingling" fervour of songs like "Bulletproof" and "Shut Your Pretty Little Mouth" but praised the song's production calling it "a vaguely dancehall beat buffeted by luscious vocals and sexual lyrics throughout." Like other reviews, Cragg also praised Amaze stating that he "manages to stamp his own personality on the song" despite appearing near the end of the song and that perhaps it was Black's best chance at "regaining her footing in the streaming age".

"Having Kidd on the track is such a blessing. I've been a huge fan of his since his debut and I've always admired his style. He really is one of the modern day greats. I've never been a fan of just throwing a rapper onto a track for clout and sales. Some collaborations just sound so odd and forced but after finishing "Religion", I just knew there had to be another voice on there to really complete it and bring it to the next level. Kidd was my first choice. Hands down. We sent it out to him and within a day he came back with his verse. It remains untouched and unedited. He totally nailed it on the first go. Just another reason why he's one of the best. It's something totally new for the both of us and I hope the fans love it as much as we do."

Religion

Ay, ay, ay, ay, ay, ay, yeah

The way I do it will give you something to believe in
Baby, I promise that I will always deliver
Something to hold onto, it's more than just a feeling
I'll wash all over you in my holy rivers
This touch is more than loving, it can be healing
It's tried and tested, it's in the scripture

I give you body, blow your mind
Bow down baby, taste the wine
Let me show you what it's like, like, yeah
Confess your sins, I'll show you mine
Let me in and I'll show you paradise
Lay down here, bask in the light, light, yeah

Whoa, oh, oh
There's an orchestra of angels playing for you tonight
Hear the chords, bathe in the most blissful lullaby
Take my hand, I'll show you a whole new meaning to life
Whoa, oh, oh
Faith brings doubts but babe, this is sweeter than fiction
When knees touch holy ground, there's no need for convincing
I know tonight, you'll worship and make me your religion
Whoa, oh, oh, make me your religion
Whoa, oh, oh, make you my religion
Whoa, oh, oh, turn our bodies into a religion

I hope they pray for the wicked

It's like walking on air, we are only getting higher
Oh yeah, hold on tight while I say a little prayer
The most exalted one, I will make you my Messiah
Open up the heavens, I know you can take me there
Don't wanna fall to the fires with our burning desires
But the fruit is tempting, bite down if you dare

I give you body, blow your mind
Bow down baby, taste the wine
Let me show you what it's like, like, yeah
Confess your sins, I'll show you mine
Let me in and I'll show you paradise
Lay down here, bask in the light, light, yeah

Whoa, oh, oh
Whoa, oh, oh

Do you have any more questions?
Do you wanna make a confession? (Yeah?)
Free your mind as you move in my direction
Let it bare as we prepare for the ascension (It's coming)

Is God to nonbelievers still a deity?
Is it my fault, I bring this certain misery?
Typically, faith has this type of mystery
History shows love and faith has its trickery
So flippantly I tell that chicks are into me
So as they mention me, they can feel something mystical
Without even touch, they sense something physical
Like it's conditional, followers on biblical
Listen, man this pivotal
Fandom brings sheep, strip the wool from the wolf skin
Turn girls into women, then tell them to bring a twin
This cult behavior have everyone sip the Kool-Aid
She in it for salvation she sees that we getting paid
She's in the altar where she sees sins flow
She's near the pulpit where deities glow
So can you blame me for bringing miracles
Judas, relax stop being so difficult
You going to get yours just stand in the lobby
I got to watch out cause I'm with somebody

Whoa, oh, oh
Whoa, oh, oh

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 8 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 09/10/2018(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 09/10/2018(UTC), FiveT on 09/10/2018(UTC), erich hess on 09/10/2018(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 09/10/2018(UTC), C4AJoh on 15/10/2018(UTC), 2001clay on 25/05/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 31/07/2020(UTC)
Offline FiveT  
#2 Posted : 09 October 2018 06:39:39(UTC)
FiveT

Groups: Registered
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 3231 time(s) in 1294 post(s)
Tanya: I love, love, love this! Yes, belting out in every song and just being all Mariah Carey can be boring at one point, I know.

Den: I knew I liked this song, religion is an hard theme to touch but hey I don't think you offended anyone. I am religious myself and this is just fun!

Laurence: Such a nice beat and theme. Rap on point. Great job.

MY ACTIVE ACTS
Titans (Laurence, Jo, Martina, Den, Tanya)
Kegan Dawson - Actor, presenter, radio speaker, model, showman
Cj Frankson - Youtuber, Actor, model, showman
Rashai Mari - Model, Dj
Igor Stanovski - Russian tycoon, businessman
Claire Becker - Writer, vocal coach, presenter, radio speaker
Augusto Lincoln - Enterpreneur, model, manager
Lukas Paradiso - Model, Actor

The Jollies
Zafari Mari 👩🏾‍🦲, Rose Hemsworth 👩🏻‍🦰, David Hernandez 👱🏻, Natasha Stanovski 👧🏻, Fabriano Galore 👨🏻

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Creating Sims content here on my YouTube channel! -----> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Tq0J8bDFMidZWlrFK0gtQ
thanks 1 user thanked FiveT for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 09/10/2018(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 09 October 2018 08:32:26(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17915 time(s) in 10409 post(s)
Karoliena: Christianity has all sorts of erotica in,with the right eyes. if you've never crucified your lover...have you ever really had sex with them? there is something about putting your jawbone on their ass. i dont now,i never really paid much attention. the few times ive been in church all i could thing of was jesus had great abs.

Erica:kato,huh? well.. that tells me this woman is always about one mimosa away from kissing a girl. that being said...this was kinda hot. but i kinda want victoria and kidd to become a thing now. there was chemistry there,right?

Nina:is is still homewrecking if you arent the one physically wrecking the home,love?
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 2 users thanked erich hess for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 09/10/2018(UTC), freestylechamp on 09/10/2018(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#4 Posted : 09 October 2018 09:55:30(UTC)
freestylechamp

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Chris: so what would be a good time to bring up that I was raised Catholic, the freaky Christian's.

Jake: how are Catholics the freaky one

Chris; well you don't see Baptist Halloween costume do you. Man maybe Victoria was raised Catholic too.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 09/10/2018(UTC)