logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline startedin07nowImhere  
#1 Posted : 17 December 2013 08:41:13(UTC)
startedin07nowImhere

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Saw someone had done this for 2012 but nobody has posted one for 2013, really interested to see what music everyone's into and what they enjoyed this year!

I'm expecting this post to fall flat on its arse but oh well, atleast I tried!

These are my top 5, I thought I'd explain why a little bit as well, instead of just doing a post consisting of 5 titles/artists, also put in some tracks that stood out for me (this was harder than I first thought it was going to be when I started writing this!):

5. City & Colour - The Hurry and The Harm

Not quite Dallas Green at his finest I feel, and that's saying something because this is an absolute cracker of an album! Personally I think that Little Hell is better than this release, however I still loved every song on the record. Stand out tracks for me are the title track The Hurry And The Harm, Of Space & Time and The Golden State.

4. Deaf Havana - Old Souls

I hadn't listened to Deaf Havana for years so this was like discovering a new band for me, quickly became one of my favourites after a couple of days, usually what I'm listening to when I'm driving! Stand out tracks would be Night Drives, Speeding Cars and Caro Padre

3. Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal

After the release of There Is A Hell... in 2010 I was honestly expecting to be let down by this album, but after the release of Shadow Moses I had my expectations raised. I don't think anyone was expecting what this album brought to the table though, pretty refreshing to hear a band try something new, a lot of bands in this genre tend to play it safe. Stand out tracks are Can You Feel My Heart, And the Snakes Start To Sing and Crooked Young.

2. letlive. - The Blackest Beautiful

This, for me, is nothing short of a masterpiece. letlive. never dissapoint even though Fake History was going to be very difficult to top, they're one of the best modern bands around in my opinion, I love each and every track on this album but the stand outs for me are 27 Club, Pheromone Cvlt and Virgin Dirt

1. Biffy Clyro - Opposites

The first album of the year that I bought, I have not tired of one song on this album and I've listened to it countless times, even though they're one of the biggest British bands around and I still think they're severely underrated! There's a reason this band are my favourite band! Stand out tracks for me are Skylight, Sounds Like Balloons and Biblical.

Other albums I really enjoyed this year:

Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heat
A Day To Remember - Common Courtesy
The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation
Panic! At The Diso - Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die
Fall Out Boy - Save Rock and Roll
AFI - Burials

So, how about you guys?!

My Artists:

SMASH UP
Hardcore/Rock
Crowns out now

JOSH WILLIAMS
Acoustic/Folk/Indie
On tour now
"Overdue" EP released July 14th 2014
thanks 3 users thanked startedin07nowImhere for this useful post.
Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 18/12/2013(UTC), DistortedAudio on 19/12/2013(UTC), Tman on 07/01/2014(UTC)
Offline Osprey037[Reported Failure]  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2013 14:24:43(UTC)
Osprey037[Reported Failure]

Was thanked: 1780 time(s) in 805 post(s)
Not the top ten "best" albums of 2013, just my top ten favorites of the albums I bought this year.

1. Tallhart - We Are the Same
Props to anyone who knows this band or this album. Its fairly unknown. This album rides the line between being instrumentally minimalist but still being loud as well as the line between being deeply emotional but also a fun as hell sing along. In ten songs it gets to the point. It was the perfect album for any occasion this year.
2. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
I love sad songs. This album is full of them. Not always depressing. Rarely angst-filled or over dramatic. The National masters a mature sadness. Sometimes the sadness on this album is almost uplifting or inspiring. This is the classic type of album that I love. Its emotional, and beautiful and even hard to listen to at times.
3. Paramore - Paramore
Having been a fan of Paramore for several years, but never a huge fan I always liked their albums but never loved them. Their loud teenage punk sound never really appealed to me hugely. Then with three members they made an album that just swept me off of my feet all spring and basically came to define the first half of my year.
4. Eisley - Currents
I'm completely biased towards this band. I've loved them for years. Their album this year was good. Not their best but I love the band so much I just kept listening to it and it turned out to be one of my favorites of the year.
5. The Maine - Forever Halloween
The Maine is another band that could release anything and I'd like it to a certain extent. Forever Halloween is an album though that beyond being by a good band just has a life of its own. The album feels incredibly full and it flows really well. Its also incredibly fun and has songs for any occasion.
6. Kevin Devine & the Goddamn Band - Bubblegum
When singer songwriters try to make noisy rock albums and the singer for your favorite band produces it, good things happen. As was the case with Bubblegum. Solid album all around.
7. Sigur Ros - Kveiker
Sigur Ros usually makes incredibly ambient, almost angelic post-rock. Need an uplifting song for a movie with uninteligable lyrics? Sigur Ros can do that. I've certainly liked all their work but then on this album they just went nuts and the album is loud and sometimes unsettling even. Its great.
8. HRVRD - From the Bird's Cage
Another fairly unknown group, I saw HRVRD live and they were incredible. The songs on this album are good. They come across even better live.
9. CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
This album is damn fun. I'm kind of tentative about its place on my list because I only bought it last month and it hasnt fully sunk in yet. But its fun for sure.
10. Typhoon - White Lighter
Also tentative about this one. But it is really dynamic and powerful and honestly I may decide it deserves a much higher place. Just check it out.

UserPostedImage
I might give Satan a swirly
thanks 2 users thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
DistortedAudio on 19/12/2013(UTC), startedin07nowImhere on 23/12/2013(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2013 19:54:32(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
1. Arctic Monkeys - AM
Just simply absolutely majestic, and definitely one of my favourite albums of all time, never mind this year. A bit more of a bluesy turn for Arctic Monkeys, but they still managed to retain that lyrical skill that made me love them from their first album. Loved Humbug and Suck it and See, but this trumps both by a long long way. A few low-key tracks and some with a more rocky tone to them make a fantastic mix, and every single song from the first to the last is just absolutely perfect. I could listen to it on repeat forever and give up all other albums.

2. The 1975 - The 1975
I had heard the hype around these chappies for some time, but never really paid them all that much attention until the day this album dropped. Gave it a speculative listen and I was completely blown away. This is a tremendous debut, and on any other year it would have been my runaway favourite, but it was pipped by Arctic Monkeys' pure genius. Poppy, indie, upbeat, sad, sound of the 80s with a twist. Again, fantastic from the first second to the last, even when discounting the huge singles. Wonderful live band as well.

3. Lemuria - The Distance is So Big
I doubt many here will have heard about Lemuria, but they released this album in the summer and it became one of the sounds of my year. The album is indie/punk/lo-fi in all its glory. The lyrics are clever yet simple, and the music is gentle in places and a bit more cutting in others. I would really recommend this album to anyone, and particularly the songs Brilliant Dancer and Chihuly, which are sensational. Sheena's voice is quite unique as well which is really cool. Another band that really do themselves justice live as well.

4. Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal
It's hard to believe this is the same band that were roundly hated by many metal fans for years. I've always been quite a fan of them, but this is without doubt their greatest body of work to date. Different styles experimented with, lyrics are fantastic throughout and it's just generally a great album. Totally a step away from anything they've done before, showing a fantastic maturity, which was unexpected, especially from Oli, who is a famous wanker. Possibly cemented their place as a future festival headliner with an album like this. Hard to even pick a favourite song - probably Antivist, The House of Wolves or Empire.

5. The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation
The last two years have been fantastic for the new age of pop punk, with bands like Four Year Strong, The Story so Far, Real Friends and Man Overboard bringing a new maturity to a genre that was sort of typecast with its dick jokes and skateboarding personas in the past. Then the Wonder Years did this. Their previous work has always been good, but fucking hell, this blows it out of the water. Definitely one of my favourite pop punk albums ever. It's a tragedy to even lump something this good with the likes of Green Day and Blink 182, because it's a different beast entirely. Top tracks include Passing Through a Screen Door.

6. Paramore - Paramore
Always been a fan of Paramore, but unlike a lot of people, I really favoured Brand New Eyes over any of their older stuff. Same thing here. This is just a great pop-rock album with some fantastically big tunes and some sombre moments throughout. The little interludes are great and really make it feel like generally a single body of work as opposed to a collection of tracks. This felt like something Paramore have wanted to do for years and they finally got the chance to. I fell in love with this album for sure.

7. A Day to Remember - Common Courtesy
Pop-punk/metal. There isn't a lot you can really say about ADTR, other than they make some fantastic songs. I wasn't even expecting all that much from this album, but it really is fantastic. Not their best, in my opinion, but still a great return for them and something I can see taking them to the next stage.

8. Funeral for a Friend - Conduit
I just love Funeral For a Friend. This was a return to their earlier heavier sounds, so I loved it. Best band ever. Touche Amore and letlive. probably both did post-hardcore better this year, but fuck 'em, because Funeral for a Friend.

9. The Story So Far - What You Don't See
Basically the same as the Wonder Years. This is a young band with an attitude that have really helped change the pop punk scene with their first two albums. This is packed with bad attitude, strong messages and more catchy tunes than you can shake a stick at. Even if Parker Cannon has become an absolute wang in the past year, this is still a fantastic pop punk album that will be seen as one of those that defines the genre in years to come.

10. Protest the Hero - Volition
Another I had very low expectations from. When they were having label issues and then crowdfunded this, I was worried it would be awful, but Canada's favourite mathcore mob really made this work. This is probably their best album to date, which is saying something after Kezia and Fortress. Really stellar stuff.
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
DistortedAudio on 19/12/2013(UTC), startedin07nowImhere on 23/12/2013(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 08/01/2014(UTC)
Offline Mckenzie-  
#4 Posted : 18 December 2013 23:52:59(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
1. The 1975 - The 1975
No album comes close to competing with this for me. A 16-track album filled with killer content. The 80's pop vibes are clear here and the vocals are absolutely outstanding. Been following them for over a year now, waiting for this album to drop and it certainly didn't disappoint. Lyrical content is something all moody and angst teenagers/young adults can relate to. Absolutely outstanding, also a strong contender for best live band of the year.

2. FIDLAR - FIDLAR
Well, what can we say here. Doesn't seem like this album came out this year, it's already becoming a classic in the punk genre. Since it's release, so many new punk bands have come to the forefront in an attempt to replicate FIDLAR's reckless music. An album filled with drugs, alcohol, skating and sex. Was a favourite the whole way through the year until September came. Looking forward to more from these guys in 2014.

3. Kurt Vile - Walking On A Pretty Daze
Been lauded as Amazon's Rock Artist of the Year and included in many bloggers' top 10 list, this is a masterpiece. As far as musicianship is concerned, this is number one. Vile manages to create an album using the sheer basics, but challenging himself with every song. The outcome is superb. For any fans of lo-fi rock n roll, this is essential.

4. Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time
Probably the best pop debut of the year. Had been waiting on this album for over a year due to constant delays, but the final product was worth the wait. Much like The 1975, she channel's the 80's so well in this record. Not much more to say about this, any fans of 'good' pop music will enjoy this.

5. Arctic Monkeys - AM
Most anticipated album of the year. Unfortunately for some the hype took over the album, which led to a few disappointed fans. It's a stunning album and a great development from the band. They've shrugged of their British sound slightly, and took a more darker approach to this album. It holds the song of the year 'Do I Wanna Know?' and many more anthems which will be played for years and years. I would even say that they are currently the biggest band in the world.

6. Peace - In Love
Indie rock doesn't get any better than this. This album has been a few years in the making and Peace have created 12 songs which will get your feet tapping and your head bobbling. Described by NME as the 'most romantic indie rock album of the year'. That it certainly is. Tracks like Lovesick channel The Cure so well, it's just a bit of a shock that songs like that didn't get more airplay when released. This album has established Peace of one the lead contenders in indie music.

7. CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
Another album I had been waiting on. Electro-pop at its best right here. Singer Lauren Mayberry may have one of the most seductive voices in recent years, despite hints of her Scottish accent poking through. The three piece have created gem after gem on this record and certainly confirmed they are not one-hit wonders after the critical success of 'The Mother We Share'. Another fantastic pop record.

8. Haim - Days Are Gone
Winners of the BBC sound of 2013 poll, Haim had massive expectations coming into this year. The sisterly trio released three singles, all of which had serious airplay and were critically praised by just about every blogger out there. Their unique rnb with a twist of pop-rock blend meant that there was something for everyone on this record. Only criticism was that it felt like some songs were forced upon them, whether they wanted to record them or not.

9. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
The years most heartbreaking album of the year goes to; The National. Known for their heartfelt lyrics and melancholic songs, The National returned with a brand new album which may have proven to be their best yet. Sometimes criticised for being too 'boring', the band struck back with a 14 track album which will tug on everyones heartstrings.

10. Wavves - Afraid of Heights
This was a strange one. Known for his lo-fi punk ways, Nathan Williams declared that the new album will edge the band away from lo-fi territory. However, the release of this album just showed Williams' diversity and just hot good of a musician he actually is. Lead single 'Demon To Lean On' is one of the best tracks of the year. The album did however have too much 'filler', not enough killer. Luckily for Wavves however, the killer was superb.
retired x
thanks 3 users thanked Mckenzie- for this useful post.
DistortedAudio on 19/12/2013(UTC), GirlSpice on 20/12/2013(UTC), startedin07nowImhere on 23/12/2013(UTC)
Offline DistortedAudio  
#5 Posted : 19 December 2013 01:42:42(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Honorable Mentions: Tim Hecker - Virgins

Best Coast - Fade Away

Earl Sweatshirt - Doris

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork

Albums I'll Probably Add in 2014:

Flatbush Zombies - Better Off Dead

Action Bronson & Party Supplies - Blue Chips II

Los Campesinos - No Blues

10. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

Wildly overrated? Totally. Better than Contra? God no. Enjoyable and catchy? Hell yeah.

9. Arctic Monkeys - AM

Liked the funk-vibe this was going for. Didn't have any filler, but only like 1 or 2 stand-out tracks. Was a bad Arctic Monkeys album which is a good album for everyone else.

8. Priests - Tape Two

Priests is a local DC punk band that won't ever blow up probably. Or they might and I'll be able to stan for them amongst the college hipster crowd, saying "I REMEMBER WHEN THEY RELEASED ALBUMS ON BANDCAMP, NOT FUCKING PITCHFORK ADVANCE LIKE FUCKING POSERS." But yeah, this album has a great, fuck shit-up vibe. Good shit.

7. Whirr - Around

Liked this better than Pipe Dreams, which I loved, but their debut, Distressor, put up such a high bar that I don't know if I they can ever top it. And their sister band put out a fucking game-changer.

6. Childish Gambino - Because the Internet

Heard the first part of like the sixth track, "WORLD STAR", didn't like it, got so much better from there and the album itself is an experimental rollercoaster of different beats and features that are there to fuck with you. Stay golden Ponyboy.

5. Death Grips - GOVERNMENT PLATES

UserPostedImage

iveseenfootage

4. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels

When Kendrick Lamar released that Control verse, a Youtube channel reached out to Killer Mike & El-P (Run the Jewels) about how they felt about it. El-P said:
"Lyrics are important! No shit... Some of us been going for the throat our whole careers. Me and Mike, we listen to that shit, and we laugh, like yes. Other motherfuckers are sitting there sweating."
This album is going for the throat on every track.

3. Danny Brown - OLD

Real sick. Two sides, both representing a half of rap and each pretty killer. No days off with this album.

2. Chance the Rapper - ACID RAP

Heard about him from Stereogum and the internet going crazy over him. Finally DLed his album and I knew it would be my favorite rap album of the year. Only one OK song, the rest would be great songs on other rappers full albums. 10/10 good job.

1. Deafheaven - SUNBATHER

UserPostedImage

Heard it when it came out, and I was ready for anything after being a tad put off by their previous effort 'Roads to Judah'. DREAMHOUSE blew me away immediately. Worst possible album that I could've heard at the beginning of the year because then everything was put up to it's standards. Nothing met it.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
thanks 1 user thanked DistortedAudio for this useful post.
startedin07nowImhere on 23/12/2013(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2013 06:59:41(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
(This isn't in order or anything, just some of my favourites this year)

Natalia Kills - Trouble
Amazing sophomore album from who I think is the most underrated woman in pop, she took on a new sound, adding more guitars into her music and I think it works great for her. She worked on the whole record with Jeff Bhasker who's worked with Lana, fun., Kanye, etc and gives an insight into her troubled earlier years with lyrics that make me incredibly jealous, she's insanely talented.
Favourites: Saturday Night, Daddy's Girl, Trouble, Rabbit Hole

Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time
An album I've waited YEARS for, but it was well worth the wait and is definitely my favourite debut in a long, long time. She took a while to craft her sound, but I think this works so much better for her than the regular pop she was going for before. Amazing, not one song I dislike.
Favourites: Ain't Your Right, I Blame Myself, 24 Hours, Heavy Metal Heart

The National - Trouble Will Find Me
A relaxed, mellow record with some really great, deep lyrics. It's an album you have to take time for to appreciate each and every line in the songs, it's definitely something I have to be in the mood for, but it's always an enjoyable listen whenever it's on.
Favourites: Graceless, Don't Swallow the Cap, Sea of Love

Phoenix - Bankrupt!
I hadn't listened to any of Phoenix's previous albums, so I wasn't too sure with what to expect, but it's a quirky, fun album that's been one of my most played this year. It's the kinda album I can just leave on and enjoy without having to skip a song, consistent all the way through.
Favourites: Entertainment, Bourgeois, The Real Thing, Trying to Be Cool

Britney Spears - Britney Jean
Britney put out yet another strong pop record, what you see is what you get with her, she doesn't try to be anything she isn't and I love her for that. It's far from her best and hasn't really had the longevity with me that her others have had, but it's still one of the best pop albums of the year to my ears.
Favourites: Alien, Til It's Gone, Passenger, Now That I Found You

Lady Gaga - ARTPOP
The same applies to ARTPOP, not her best, but still a very good pop album. There's a few filler songs, but the good ones are very good and stop the album from being weighed down too much. Gaga's not everyone's cup of tea, but I appreciate her for always bringing something different into pop music and taking a risk, plus I think she has an incredible voice.
Favourites: Gypsy, G.U.Y., Sexxx Dreams, Venus

Took a little while to grow on me, but the more I listened, the more I ended up enjoying it as a whole. "Get Lucky" was far from a good representation of the album in my opinion, but it's a strong record overall, and my second favourite from them.
Favourites: Give Life Back to Music, Instant Crush, Doin' It Right

The 1975 - The 1975
I had been anticipating this one for a while after downloading many of their EP's, which were all of high standard. I wasn't expecting to love this album as much as I do, once again, another album without a bad track in my opinion, which is surprising considering the sixteen songs on it. They definitely deserve all of their success, and I'm sure they'll be huge in the future if the quality of their albums continue.
Favourites: Heart Out, Girls, She Way Out, Settle Down

Charli XCX - True Romance
Known as the girl featured on that Icona Pop song, Charli XCX's own music is a lot different to that and takes a slightly darker twist, fusing in various different genres and putting a pop spin on it. Something a little different from your average pop record.
Favourites: Black Roses, Take My Hand, So Far Away, Lock You Up

Sleigh Bells - Bitter Rivals
Sadly, I think each Sleigh Bells record has been slightly worse than the one before, but there's enough here to keep me interested. Treats will be hard to top, but this is still an album I enjoy and makes me wonder where they'll go next, hopefully it'll be a step in the right direction.
Favourites: Young Legends, Sing Like a Wire, You Don't Get Me Twice

Childish Gambino - Because the Internet
Camp was a really surprising listen for me, because I don't listen to hip hop much at all, but he's one of the few in the genre that I take the time to listen to. To me, his sophomore is even better and while the album doesn't go without its flaws and few low points, there's some really catchy stuff on here that keeps bringing me back to it.
Favourites: Sweatpants, 3005, Telegraph Ave, Shadows, Earth: The Oldest Computer

CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
I had been looking forward to this album after hearing "The Mother We Share" and "Gun" in particular. Really strong synthpop with great beats and lyrics, plus the main vocalist Lauren's voice is really unique and never lets the music take the main focus which I think happens a lot in the genre.
Favourites: Gun, Science / Visions, You Caught the Light, Strong Hand

HAIM - Days Are Gone
Incredible debut, it was one that struck me instantly, except the more I played it, the higher my rating went for it. It's largely just easy listening, upbeat, feel good music with an old school feel to it, I definitely feel there's been a gap in the market for a band like them and they came at a perfect time.
Favourites: Forever, Falling, Honey & I, Running If You Call My Name

Arctic Monkeys - AM
I've never listened to a great deal of Arctic Monkeys before, but this album really creeped up on me in the end and ended up becoming a favourite of this year. I heard "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?" and was interested enough to give the album a listen, and I was surprised with how much I liked it. Very good.
Favourites: Do I Wanna Know?, R U Mine?, Knee Socks, Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
It's no FutureSex/LoveSounds, but once you put part one and part two together of The 20/20 Experience, there's a number of standouts. I think if he just picked the highlights of the two and trimmed the songs down to make them less of a mission to listen to, he'd have a higher quality album.
Favourites: Not a Bad Thing, Strawberry Bubblegum, Let the Groove In, Drink You Away
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 4 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 20/12/2013(UTC), startedin07nowImhere on 23/12/2013(UTC), kandii on 29/12/2013(UTC), DistortedAudio on 02/01/2014(UTC)
Offline Mt. Epic  
#7 Posted : 29 December 2013 20:39:38(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)

I've waited too long for a new Daft Punk album. The Tron soundtrack they made was okay, but it wasn't a typical studio album. It's about time they released an LP, and it's arguably the best one they made to date.

Danny Brown - No Poison No Paradise

It's a nice rap album. Danny Brown is one of those rappers that keeps getting better and better, both musically and production-wise, despite getting virtually zero mainstream exposure. He reminds me a lot of 2 Chainz, only with better instrumentals.

Pretty Lights - A Color Map of the Sun

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Pretty Light's studio recordings. He is A LOT BETTER live, especially while high. However, I managed to be surprised by this LP. It was very enjoyable, even without drugs.

Flux Pavilion - Blow the Roof

I don't think Flux Pavilion is the best dubstep artist out there. With that said, he still impressed me with another great album.

Lil Wayne - I Am Not a Human Being II

Lil Wayne always puts a smile on my face. His lyrics are never serious, even if they are meant to be. With an awesome bass and beat, the humorous lyrics blend in to make some awesome loud car hits like "Rich as Fuck" and "Love Me" that, if played to members of an older generation, they will keep wondering if the Watergate Scandal by Nixon really ruined the youth of the future.

A$AP Rocky - Long. Live. A$AP.

Now everybody knows his hit "Fuckin' Problems", which seems like a pretty typical rap song with some impressive rap skills. However, if you dig deeper into the record, it's actually one of the most genius lyrical rap albums made in a while.

Slaughterhouse - Welcome to: Our House

This album came out in late 2012, but I only found out about it in 2013. It's honestly one of the most addicting rap albums I've ever heard. My friend said that he has played the song "My Life" on his phone and laptop nearly a combined 10,000 (the song is 4:25). I'm not surprised, because there was a period when both of us played that song non-stop over the summer and before classes ended last school year.
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
thanks 2 users thanked Mt. Epic for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 30/12/2013(UTC), DistortedAudio on 02/01/2014(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#8 Posted : 30 December 2013 08:51:24(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Favorite Albums of 2013

1. John Mayer - Paradise Valley

Any year John Mayer releases an album, it's going to be my album of the year. There is no other artist that I can invest and connect with their music more than Mayer. Paradise Valley is not my favorite record by John Mayer, still falls short of Continuum and Born and Raised. Sonically it feels like the natural, orgaic follow-up to Born and Raised. It's a warm sounding record, extremely intimate. Mayer's songwriting continues to grow, through simplicity. In no moment on this record is there a feel of the music or the lyrics being false to the artist. The guitar work and general musicianship on Paradise Valley is top-notch.

2. The National - Trouble Will Find Me

It wasn't until this year upon hearing Trouble Will Find Me, did I really understand this whole The National thing. I heard in the past most of their work, yet nothing really made me love one of their albums. Trouble Will Find Me changed my prespective of them. On first listen I loved the record. Matt Berninger is one of the best songwriters of the 21st century and his baritone voice just fits perfectly with these melancholy, yearning songs. I took in their back catologue and enjoyed every album, but this stands as their best album yet for me.

3. HAIM - Days Are Gone

HAIM is one of those rare cases where mainstream and snotty hipster bloggers both agree on. The Haim sisters created the most infectious, catchy album of the year. I'm glad I waited for the entire album to listen to them because it made every single they released before the full-length, fresh and new to me. The way they craft these very 1980s hooks and melodies into modern sounding songs is nothing short of wonderful. The inspiration from of the golden age of pop music is clear and I love it. Also, they are likely the most likeable band in the world right now.

4. Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer Different Park

I first heard of Kacey Musgraves in the spring of 2012, when she was set to open for John Mayer for that tour got cancelled. I took a listen to her first single "Merry Go Round" around that time as well and it took me aback by how witty it was and the realstic country outlook it showed. Despite only hearing a single song, I was looking forward to her debut and it did not let me down. Musgraves created an album that's not aiming to be a hit or a traditional country album. Her lyrics very much invoke a new age of country music, past the beer drinking and heartbreak sterotypical country lyrics. She has a gorgeous voice that suits what is being aimed for on this album. She shouldn't be compared to Taylor Swift. Musgraves has the clear talent to write past the subject of love and doesn't carry pop factor Swift does. Those Best New Artist and Best Country Album nods she has at the upcoming Grammy Awards are well deserved here.

5. Jason Isbell - Southeastern

Southeastern is one of the darker albums of the year. It has some haunting lyrics and a gritty voice behind them. "Elephant" is simply put one of the best songs ever written. It's the type of album where you need to listen to it from top to bottom to really understand it. It's dark, it's moody, it's beautiful. The lyrical content varies from love, cancer, death, sexual abuse, suicide, alcoholism.

6. The 1975 - The 1975

I was not a fan of their EPs. I felt that "Sex" and "Chocolate" were the best they could do from those first few EPs. There was nothing else that caught my ear, so my hopes weren't very high going into their self-titled full-length. Safe to say, my opinion of them has changed and they've become one of my favorite bands. The 80's, early 90's pop instrumentation is great. It's not without its flaws, "M.O.N.E.Y." and "Talk!" just sound like filler material. But the rest of the album makes up for those two missteps to create a catchy, yet insightful record.

7. Drake - Nothing Was the Same

"This is nothin' for the radio, but they'll still play it though / 'Cause it's that new Drizzy Drake, that's just the way it go." I have a lot of respect for an artist who can get better with each album. Drake has done that and his third studio album is probably the only hip-hop record that I could get into from top to bottom in a long time. Not since Gambino's Camp and Drake's last record, Take Care. It's mainstream rap and singing. There's no denying that. But by no means does that mean it's not a well crafted record.

Note: Except that Big Sean verse on All Me is fucking abysmal.

8. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

I was not a fan of Vampire Weekend until this album. I cannot get into their old material still. MVOTC captures perfect imagery in every track. It's a gorgeous record taken from a whole. They remove the shtick that made me dislike them on S/T and Contra.

9. Frightened RabbitPedestrian Verse

A straightforward record with no bumps in the road. It was one of those albums where I just put it on without any pre-knowledge on the band or their discography prior to this record. It made for an album that only gets better after repeated listens.

10. Dessa - Parts of Speech

Dessa is a singer/rapper from Minnesota, who should really be more known than she is. There's no one else better at what she does. She has a lovely voice when she sings and the wordplay to be the best female rapper around, despite not dropping rap verses in every song.

11. The Civil Wars - The Civil Wars

The Civil Wars will probably nerver create another album, nor was this album created in traditional terms, but it's personal and sharp-tonuged with the conflicts between the duo. Despite the internal problems, Joy Williams and John Paul White compliement each other perfectly.

12. Sara Bareilles - The Blessed Unrest

The Blessed Unrest is the best album released this year by a female pop artist. Past the catchiness that is "Brave," the record is filled with pop gems that keep that radio airplay factor, without sacrificing musicianship. Bareilles is incredibly talented and this album is her best offering yet.

13. Daughter - If You Leave

Hauting, beautiful, sad, atmospheric, poetic. Even the songs that were re-recorded to be included in their debut sound full and lush. I can put this record on and not skip a song because they blend in so well in the context of a full-length.

14. Fall Out Boy - Save Rock and Roll

I was a huge fan of Fall Out Boy before their hiatus. My music taste back then was down a different lane. Yet I can still enjoy Save Rock and Roll greatly. Fall Out Boy are likely the only band to come from that pop-punk resurgence in the mid-200s that still hold the ability to craft solid albums. Patrick Stump's voice has never been stronger than it is on this record and Pete Wentz's lyricism remains unique and untouched.

15. Katy Perry - PRISM

What can I say? I like Katy Perry. From the whole mainstream pop female artist machine with Beyonce, Gaga, Rihanna, Spears, etc. Perry is my favorite among those. Particularly because her voice can fit into so many different styles that can go beyond pop music. Which she hasn't done yet. Prism is still very much a pop record and one of the most enjoyable pop records at that.

16. Dawes - Stories Don't End

Dawes capture that 1970s, Southern California folk rock sound to a tee. Taylor Goldsmith, the frontman and songwriter, creates some of the best stories within these songs that you won't find anywhere else.

17. Volcano ChoirRepave

It's tough to dislike a project that Justin Vernon is involved in. Repave is as good as it gets for projects not under the Bon Iver moniker.

18. Gabrielle Aplin - English Rain

If I had heard this album earlier in the year, it might have just cracked into my top 10 of the year. Aplin has a beautiful voice and English Rain is a lovely, calm debut from a singer-songwriter who I'm sure we will be hearing more from in the years to come.

19. Phosphorescent - Muchacho

While Muchacho is not filled with tracks that sound like "Song for Zula" one of the top songs released this year. It's Phosphorescent's strongest all-around record.

20. The Weeknd - Kiss Land

I know most Weeknd fans shit on this album compared to his first three mixtapes. It's not as good as House of Ballons or Echoes of Silence. It's what you expect from Abel Tesfaye and you either dig it or you don't. I for one, enjoyed this album very much.

Honorable Mentions

Local Natives - Hummingbird
Ashley Monroe - Like a Rose
Jimmy Eat World - Damage
Night Beds - Country Sleep
Beyoncé - Beyoncé

Disappointments

Childish Gambino - Because the Internet

I understand what he was going for. It's just not my taste.

Paramore - Paramore

I use to love this band when I was younger. In 2009, Brand New Eyes was one of my favorite albums released that year. Since then, my music taste has evolved. There are some fun, wistful songs to be found, yet it falls very short for me as an entire album.

Kanye West - Yeezus

Yep.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience

I liked exactly one song on each part of the entire 20/20 experience.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
DistortedAudio on 02/01/2014(UTC)
Offline Laurelles1  
#9 Posted : 02 January 2014 09:46:53(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
10. The National – Trouble Will Find Me
The National are probably the most consistent band in indie rock today. Their streak of great albums has now reached an incredible 5. Not much has changed; if you never liked the band before, there won't be anything here which will change your mind, but it's extremely difficult not to find yourself tapping your foot along to at least one of the incredibly catchy melodies on this album.

Choice cut: Graceless

9. Oneohtrix Point Never – R+7
This album has an incredibly unique sound that I find difficult to describe. It's possibly the most accessible post-music avant-garde noise vaporpop music that you will find outside of James Ferraro anyway. It is an album which takes you on one of those cliched journeys, but a journey more reminiscent of being sucked into a computer game like in Adventure Time as opposed to some generic road trip. Very good.

Choice cut: Still Life

8. Julia Holter – Loud City Song
I enjoyed Ekstasis, which was Holter's last album but it always felt like the songs melded into eachother after a certain point and it wasn't something that I particularly listen to anymore. Loud City Song is a fantastic album though, one in which every track has its own identity and own little moments of euphoria. Musically, imagine a mixture of Broadway in the 50s and the internet.

Choice cut: Maxim's I

7. Grouper – The Man Who Died at Sea
The Man Who Died at Sea was an immediate favourite. Every element of it just worked for me. It creeped me out at times but I always wanted to delve further into the rabbit hole of angelic hushed vocals (angelic in the sense that they sound otherworldly, not because the singer is necessarily a virtuoso or whatever) and beautiful guitar melodies. It sounds like what I'd imagine a mixture of Vespertine-era Bjork and Sung Tongs-era Animal Collective to be like. And those are my two favourite things. Ever.

Choice cut: Cloud in Places

6. Danny Brown - Old
Old expands on Danny Brown's previous work like very few hip hop albums I had ever heard. It's not as funny as XXX, nor necessarily as witty, but the actual beats are far more entertaining to me here and Danny Brown has managed to combine typical songs about popping molly and the likes with beautiful introspective documents of the street. It's these new, psychedelic tinged introspective tracks that see DB at his best.

Choice cut: Float On

5. John Grant – Pale Green Ghosts
This album shouldn't work as well as it does. It doesn't offer anything new, or even that current, to the table musically with electronic-infused alternative rock with the occasional campy dance track. Even Grant's voice seems a bit overwrought and dramatic. However, the tragicomedy of the lyrics, the most powerful possibly of the entire decade so far, manage to make this album very special and one that warrants some sort of cult following. It's a dazzling story of breakups, anger, as well as Grant coming out in a hostile religious environment and the sad inevitability of oncoming death due to a very real struggle with HIV. Tracks like Glacier should have you bawling your eyes out.

Choice cut: GMF

4. Fuck Buttons – Slow Focus
From the instant I heard the absolutely epic rhythm of The Red Wing, I knew Slow Focus would make this list. More so than any other band or artist this year, they have evolved into something truly stunning and hopefully will continue on this path they are going, with massive epic mounds of noisetronica. It's an odd follow up to soundtracking the 2012 Olympics, but it's fantastic. It's definitely not something for the faint hearted, anyway.

Choice cut: The Red Wing

3. Kanye West - Yeezus
I won't be able to say anything significant on this that hasn't been said already. Listen to it. You may hate it, but you need to listen to it.

Choice cut: Guilt Trip

2. Matthew E White - Big Inner
Not only has this album produced one of my favourite songs of all time in Gone Away, but it is unarguably my favourite debut album of the year. Every element of it works, every song has a fantastic build up, brilliant melody and stunning climax, and White's voice is as smooth as silk and just... works. Really, really well. Maybe this album isn't as good as I think it is, but at the moment I am in love with it, utterly and completely. Technically it was released in 2012, but it was released in 2013 here and I really wanna show it off, so fuck it.

Choice cut: Gone Away (PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS, IT IS MY TRACK OF THE YEAR IT IS FUCKING INCREDIBLE)

1. Dean Blunt – The Redeemer
UserPostedImage
No other album in 2013, or possibly even this decade so far, has managed to grip the paranoia and fear of a modern breakup like The Redeemer. It is a truly mental, relentless ride through Dean Blunt's mind, with plenty of motifs, creepy instrumentals, demonic background noises, and sickly beautiful choirs chanting atop pounding percussion and Dean Blunt's own deep, monotonous baritone which sounds more like him crying than any type of comprehensible singing. The Redeemer is my number one album not only because I enjoyed it the most, but it encapsulates what I believe 2013 to sound like.

Choice cut: The Pedigree

Honourable mentions:
Deafheaven - Sunbather
Death Grips - Government Plates
James Blake - Overgrown
Cakes da Killa - The Eulogy
The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Laurelles1 for this useful post.
Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 02/01/2014(UTC)
Offline Tman  
#10 Posted : 07 January 2014 23:08:13(UTC)
Tman

Man
United States

Was thanked: 117 time(s) in 82 post(s)
5. Stone Sour - House of Gold and Bones Pt.2

Just altogether a great album from Stone Sour. Pt.1 brought amazing guitar rifts and vocals, and Pt.2 goes right along with it.

4. Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt

The band sounds better than ever with the new album Lightning Bolt. Pearl Jam shows with this album that they are still in the game.

3. Black Sabbath - 13

A great album from the forefathers of metal. Just like Pearl Jam, Black Sabbath shows that the old still got the edge on the new.

2. Five Finger Death Punch - The Wrongside of Heaven and the Righteous Side of Hell Vol.2

A great album here that brought some great music. I was amazed by the vocals on this one.

1. Five Finger Death Punch - The Wrongside of Heaven and the Righteous Side of Hell Vol.1

No other album even comes close to the big part 1. Released in July, it has amazing vocals and instruments and the appearance of Rob Halford from Judas Priest only adds to the amazingness. A must have for any metalhead.
Active People:

James 'Deadeye' Baulschoff
Raymond Lyzakyan
Lucas Kyargo
Zeke Azako
Matthew Ray Vaughn

Inactive People:

John Baulschoff
John Buck
Sam Bell
Christina Baulschoff
Geoff Rodriguez

thanks 1 user thanked Tman for this useful post.
Realms Of Darkness on 08/01/2014(UTC)
Offline RedHotLizard  
#11 Posted : 01 February 2015 11:32:58(UTC)
RedHotLizard

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Mine would be:

1. Stratovarius- Nemesis

2. Children of Bodom- Halo of Blood

3. Fates Warning- Darkness in a Different Light