logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 16 April 2017 13:02:01(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
UserPostedImage

//

UserPostedImage
Artist: Joshua Grimmie
Title: PORCELAINHEART
Genre(s): Acoustic Pop, Pop, Tropical House, Synthpop, Electropop
Format(s): CD, Digital Download, Vinyl, Limited Edition Green Vinyl
Length: 36:48
Writers: J. Estrada, J.Grimmie, S.Hollywood, C.Hudson, L.Keaton.
Producers: Jacob Estrada, Toby Gad, Joshua Grimmie, MakeAScene, LosOscuros, The Wolverines
Recorded: April 2015 - February 2017
Label: Five Pesky Kids
Singles: Prayer (#9), Don't Let It Go To Your Head (#2), Breathe Fire (#2), Ticking On It (#5)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Don't Let It Go To Your Head 3:50
(J.Grimmie)
Porcelain Heart (Feat. Lincoln) 3:21
(J.Grimmie, L.Keaton)
Borrowed Scars 4:10
(J.Grimmie, S.Hollywood)
Play Pretend 3:20
(J.Grimmie)
Prayer 3:27 UserPostedImage
(J.Grimmie, J.Estrada)
Vital Signs 3:19
(J.Grimmie)
Faking On Top Of The World 3:37 UserPostedImage
(J.Grimmie)
Ticking On It 4:05 UserPostedImage
(J.Grimmie, C.Hudson)
Caramel Dreams 4:24 UserPostedImage
(J.Grimmie)
Breathe Fire 3:15 UserPostedImage
(J.Grimmie, C.Hudson)

UserPostedImage

PORCELAINHEART is the long-awaited debut album from American singer-songwriter and activist Joshua Grimmie. It is set to be released in April 2017 by Five Pesky Kids records. It serves as the parent album to his viral hit single "Prayer" which was released back in 2015 and was finally developed, for the most part, in late 2016 following much turmoil for Grimmie behind the scenes. The album was created over a period of two years, with Joshua involved in a legal battle with his original record label, Underdog Entertainment as well as creating and scrapping many incarnations of the record due to numerous different reasons. When the record was finally near completion, Joshua originally decided that he did not want to feature any guest collaborators as he wanted his very first album to be "completely him" as a way of letting fans old and new focus solely on his work and artistry. Grimmie eventually changed his mind, featuring British-Azeri singer-songwriter Lincoln on the title track of the album as he believed that the duet "just worked". Keaton is the only featured artist on the record. Production help comes in the form of The Wolverines, LosOscuros, Toby Gad, MakeAScene and Jacob Estrada. Joshua also produced and co-produced songs himself.

Following many incarnations of his debut album, Joshua started writing and recording with the idea of making a record which documents the most intense, heightened emotions that we experience as humans as well as touching upon the fragility of the hearts and minds of humanity. The title "PORCELAINHEART" stems from how vulnerable the human race can be when it comes to love and relationships. Despite the advances in our technology and no matter how strong and muscular one can train to be, the heart is still an extremely fragile thing. Grimmie made a conscious effort not to include any politically charged offerings on his debut album as he wanted to separate his art from what people already see and expect. He also feared that releasing music with a more socially conscious spin would "dismiss" everything he's spoken about publicly in the past as many would relegate his past statements down to "promo" for his album and career. Grimmie has stated that he does not want people thinking his personal opinions and beliefs are a gimmick in order to shift units.

The original version of the album set for release in summer 2015 was rumoured to be titled "Scared of the Dark" but Joshua has neither confirmed or denied this. He signed to Underdog Entertainment, who would distribute his material exclusively in Canada, in May 2015 off the back of Prayer's success. He began working on the album throughout the summer and during this time, Grimmie also signed with Weekend's label Five Pesky Kids for international distribution of his work. In late 2015, Grimmie allegedly had a completed album with a final tracklisting as well as artwork all set to go but Underdog pulled the plug at the last minute. They stated that they did not wish for the material to be released due to it being "below average" and they withheld release as the majority of the album was created through the use of their time, money, materials and producers. Underdog and Pesky tried to settle the dispute for months before it came to fruition that the former actually wanted Grimmie to release a Canadian exclusive debut with a different version for the rest of the world. Joshua was unaware of this and during this time, he had been recording non-stop in an attempt to please his labels. After discovering that he then had to create two different records, Joshua was disheartened but reluctantly soldiered on through it. The constant travelling, creating, disapproval and lack of support from Underdog took its toll on Joshua. He fell into depression and found the entire experience "mentally exhausting". Teaming up with Five Pesky Kids, who had believed in his talents throughout, they took Underdog to court and engaged in a lengthy battle. Grimmie spent the majority of 2016 in a legal dispute and had a "negative" and "unprofessional" relationship with his label. It is believed that before PORCELAINHEART, Joshua had at least three other records completed.

After winning the court case and being freed from his contract, Joshua continued solely under Pesky and his social media presence saw a huge resurgence. Grimmie was relatively quiet throughout late 2015 and 2016 due to his battles and he feared mentioning anything about his music in case he gave fans "false hope" and "tempted fate". When everything had cleared up, Joshua felt a "new lease of life" and became more active online and his celebrity persona grew once again. He began working with Pesky's in-house producers and songwriters such as MakeAScene, Sara Hollywood and LosOscuros in the third quarter of 2016. With the past interpretations of his debut record, Joshua focused mainly on an acoustic pop sound. He was at first reluctant to work with producers who were more experienced in the indie, dance-pop and rock genres as he feared his material would sound "over-produced" and that many producers could result in a case of "too many cooks" and in turn, he would lose his identity. Grimmie soon found the experience to be a "breath of fresh air" and stated that everyone he worked with "opened his eyes" to new possibilities and ways of approaching songwriting and music in general.

In November 2016, Pesky and Grimmie reached out to artists outside of their own camp. He met up with The Stat Nerds member and acclaimed songwriter Christopher Hudson and the pair created numerous tracks together. Two of them, Ticking On It and Breathe Fire, went on to be included on the final tracklisting of PORCELAINHEART. They also created a track which would later be dissected to become "Really Somebody", a rap-sung collaboration with AJ. It was released in January 2017 and became a top 5 hit across the globe. On working with Hudson, Joshua stated: "He is just a lyrical genius. He can do it all and in the matter of minutes. Whether it's pop, R&B, rock...probably rap too, he can whip it up and then be onto his next hit half an hour later like it's nothing. It amazes me he can form melodies so quickly and they're all of such high quality. It was difficult to work with him at first because we both have pretty strong ideas of what we want and compromising wasn't always the easiest thing to do. He didn't really take too kindly to me wanting to tweak things but we created some magic in the end and I have so much respect for him." Around the same time, different producers were also brought in to work with Grimmie in the form of Toby Gad and The Wolverines. Both producers went on to work on two songs each which made the final cut. Gad helped complete production of Don't Let It Go To Your Head, which Joshua had a rough demo of and it would later go on to be released as his comeback single. The other track that Gad co-produced with Grimmie was Faking On Top Of The World. With The Wolverines tracks on the other hand, Joshua had no input on the production - he wrote the songs and came to them with just a melody. Known mostly for their uptempo dance hits, Joshua made it clear to the duo that he wanted them to apply their pop sensibilities to the songs but do "something different" and more "laid-back". The Wolverines produced the tracks "Ticking On It" and "Porcelain Heart". The latter had gone through many incarnations as he wanted to get the song "just right" as it was the title track and the only collaboration, so he felt like it had a lot to live up to.

Musically, the album combines his love for acoustic pop as well as his newfound appreciation for synthpop and some current radio trends. Joshua wanted to create an album that sounds as "cohesive as possible" and borrowed all the different and best elements from all of the genres he dabbled with, spread them out over the course of the album, in order to achieve this well integrated sound. "I wanted to incorporate this new dark synthpop and electro sound that I love and also stay true to my roots. I would never ditch the acoustic sounds. My guitar is, like, glued to my hand. It's what got me here in the first place. It was a tricky job though, fusing everything together. It could have sounded like a total mess and all over the place. Half of the album would be me strumming on my guitar and the other half would be dark, mystical sounding studio produced stuff. Finding the balance between Jacob Estrada and The Wolverines was hard but I think we got there. There's nothing too heavy on there so no song sounds out of place. It's not like total club bangers and then guitar-lead ballads. PORCELAINHEART has a great balance, I think. We have the more acoustic leaning stuff like Prayer, Vital Signs and Faking[...], the darker synth inspired tracks like Caramel Dreams, Porcelain Heart and Borrowed Scars but we also have songs that bridge the gap, combining all of that like Don't Let It Go To Your Head and Breathe Fire. It's why those are the opening and closing tracks. I think they contain everything the album represents sonically."

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage

• Prayer was released as the first single from the album on May 15th 2015. It served as Joshua's debut single following his departure from Star Factory once the third season was cancelled due to flailing ratings. The single was initially set to be the leading release from a different incarnation of his debut album back in 2015, however, due to a lengthy legal battle with his label, Joshua did not release any new music until 2017. Due to its success and his love for the song, Joshua still included Prayer on PORCELAINHEART. The track was met with critical acclaim and was supported by a high profile performance on Ellen which was lauded. The single reached #9 in the USA and peaked within the top ten of most countries it was released in. Prayer even managed to top the Australian Singles Chart for 2 weeks.

• Don't Let It Go To Your Head was released as the second single from the album on March 29th 2017. It serves as the lead single from the album following a two year break from the industry. The single has been well received by critics with many praising the creativity of Grimmie, combining his acoustic pop sound that catapulted him to fame along with more current "tropical house" sounds, achieving a "perfect balance". The song is yet to place in the charts of his home market of the USA as well as Canada. Despite the critical success, the song has so far had a lukewarm reception in terms of sales across the globe. It has so far peaked at #39 in the UK, #88 in Australia, #92 in Ireland and #159 in France.

Edited by user 02 June 2020 01:47:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 12 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 16/04/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 16/04/2017(UTC), freestylechamp on 16/04/2017(UTC), erich hess on 16/04/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 16/04/2017(UTC), kandii on 16/04/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 17/04/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 19/04/2017(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 20/04/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 23/04/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 24/04/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 07/05/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2017 13:03:10(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

//

UserPostedImage
Title: Don't Let It Go To Your Head
Length: 3:50
Genre(s): Pop, Tropical House
Written By: J.Grimmie
Produced By: Toby Gad, Joshua Grimmie
Label: Five Pesky Kids Records
From The Album: PORCELAINHEART

Don't Let It Go To Your Head is a song by American singer-songwriter Joshua Grimmie. The song serves as a major musical comeback for Grimmie as he had not released solo material for over two years up until this point. He featured as a guest vocalist on AJ's single "Really Somebody" which was released earlier in the year and became a top 5 hit across the globe. This is the second (and lead) single from Joshua's upcoming debut album which is currently titled "PORCELAINHEART". The album was initially set for release in 2015 off the back of his debut single "Prayer" but fail to materialise as Grimmie was later involved in a legal battle with his former record label which prevented him from releasing any new material. Now signed to Five Pesky Kids Records and managed by Bilal Holmes, Joshua is ready to make his mark on the music industry once again. The song was written entirely by Joshua in mid-2016 shortly after his legal battle was resolved. Production comes from Joshua himself as well as Toby Gad who was critical in developing the tropical house inspired instrumental breaks heard in the song, often considered the "heart" of the track.

Lyrically, the song tells the story of a man who is infatuated with another person to the point where it borders on being unhealthy and psychotic. The love interest is playing hard-to-get and trailing him along without realising the extent of his obsession. The main theme of "Don't Let It Go To Your Head" though is denial. He does not want to admit just how hooked he is, fearing that it will give up his power to his love interest. On an even deeper and darker level, he is also refusing to admit just how intense and serious this infatuation is. Grimmie has said that the song is rather "twisted", "comical" and "sadistic" as the way it is worded aided by the breezy tropical house beats and sing-a-long melody make is seem more upbeat and carefree than it actually is, being that the song revolves around someone who is clearly hurt, lonely and somewhat delusional. The bridge of the song is where everything changes, however. Joshua "raps" about finally seeking help and wanting to be free of these thoughts. His fast paced delivery and confession through this segment almost act like a "release" for the song, breaking away from the moodiness of the verses.

"Don't Let It Go To Your Head" has received mainly positive reviews upon its debut. Samantha Benitz of Hollywood Life praised Grimmie's strong vocals and commended his return to form - "Joshua Grimmie has been somewhat of a pop oddity. He has the looks, the drive and the talent to make it but has always missed the mark. Lukewarm debut single, bad vocals on his AJ feature and becoming a Tumblr post personified have not helped him capture the hearts of many. Step up DLIGTYH! With his powerful, growling vocals on top of a shimmery Top 40-ready backing beat, this song has everything it takes to propel him to the top...finally!". Many other reviewers have also been praising Grimmie and the song for its "pop sensibilities". Most of the attention has been focused on the subject matter of the song as well as Joshua's "light rapping" in the bridge. Rap-Up TV called the lyrics "genius" and "unlike the sickly sweet lyrics other pop boys hurl at you" while also praising Grimmie's rapping: "Joshua Grimmie rapping on a track is something nobody asked for but now we're wanting it in spadefuls! Rather than sounding offensive and adopting an entirely new voice to deliver his lines, Joshua sounds authentic and his heavy Jersey accent works well with the track. He's not trying to be something he isn't which is why it takes the song to a whole new level of amazing". Hugh McIntyre of Forbes was more critical of the track, dubbing it as "nice enough" but "bland" and "an odd mixture of acoustic pop and tropical house that seems out of place no matter where you play it".

Joshua Says
Quote:
"I wanted to come back with a song that ticked as many boxes for me as possible. I wanted something that was rather different in terms of its lyrical content. I didn't want a typical love song, slow sex jam or a party anthem. I wanted something that was kinda unique in itself. I also needed a song that would bridge the gap between my debut single Prayer and the stuff on the record. My first song was very acoustic pop inspired, rather simple in structure and while I've been away, I've explored more with electronic and kinda...darker, urban sounds. Don't Let It Go To Your Head combines the breezy guitar-heavy sound of my early stuff and the electro, quirky vibes I'm playing around with on the album.

I feel like this song has many layers to it and I love that. Casual listeners may see it as just a tropical bop, some people will pick up on the sadness and desperation within the lyrics, some will find the comical aspect of it...I like that it will sound so different to all the people who hear it. Again, they might be rooting for the guy in the song or they might think he's totally crazy and that he needs to get over himself!"

It's definitely a fun track to play and I can't wait to perform it live. From playing the guitar, getting caught up in the energy of the beat and switching between many different vocal deliveries, it's one that will always keep me on my toes and I doubt I'll ever grow bored of it. I think that the bridge is what I'm most proud of though. People say it's a "rap" but I'm not entirely comfortable with calling it that. It's just me messing around with my voice and doing a kind of talk-singing thing. I'm not trying to be Kidd Amaze or Deneil. I was just having fun in the studio and it came out rather well! Was such a fun process and I hope that people enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed making it.

Who cares if I scribble down your name?
Who cares? Yeah, it's always been the damn same
I try to block out the constant ticking of my brain
You got me wrapped up, twisted in every little way
Daily struggle just trying to breathe and stay sane
But don't worry, it's all good here

So what if my hungry eyes start calling out?
Curled up on the floor, what the hell is that about?
It doesn't mean that you've got me hooked now
Not giving away this pride, that just ain't allowed
I'll just break down when you're not around
So don't worry, it's all good here

I'm the one that is in control right here
Cool, calm, collected, I have no fear
So don't go getting any clever ideas
Let me just make this bright and clear

Don't let it go, go to your head
I fall to pieces but what else is new?
I pour and pour, overflow that golden cup
Dutch courage and I hope for a stroke of luck
It's only all day and night that I think of you
Favorite heartbreak on vinyl spins and I feel the rush
Blare out my lungs 'cause who really gives a....?

[Instrumental break]

Does it matter if I want to fall to your feet,
Worship every inch and cry about how much you mean?
Won't say it out loud but I'll loop it in my dreams
Feels like I'm spending all my time down on my knees
Crawling over broken glass, so willing to bleed
No, don't worry, it's all good here

I'm the one that is in control right here
Cool, calm, collected, I have no fear
So don't go getting any clever ideas
Let me just make this bright and clear

[Instrumental break]

Yeah I said a little prayer this morning
Prayed that I would find the way, find an escape
To a clearer day, I was so afraid
So hung up, so twisted, soul needed saved
Like Satan, please not today
Tired of these days turning to grey
Gotta wash this sick, sick love down the drain
Starting to worry, it's not all good here
Oh
Man, the rain was a constant pouring
Shrouded in your clouds, the sun faded away
Wishing I was in a better place
Wishing I was no longer so damn afraid
Staring in an empty cup looking for a saving grace
In every droplet of poison I still see that face
R-Raise another shot for my pain and slay my fear
And this is something that I hate to share
But now it's time to make things bright and clear
I wanna hop of this ride, I ain't paying this fare
Escape these thoughts of you, clear this polluted air
Out of your toxins before I wind up dead
And yes I hold my hands up but don't let it go to your head

[Instrumental break]

Oh, who really gives a....?

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 12 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 16/04/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 16/04/2017(UTC), freestylechamp on 16/04/2017(UTC), erich hess on 16/04/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 16/04/2017(UTC), kandii on 16/04/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 17/04/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 19/04/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 23/04/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 24/04/2017(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 05/05/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 07/05/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2017 16:46:55(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

//

UserPostedImage

Artist: Joshua Grimmie, Lincoln
Title: Porcelain Heart
Length: 3:21
Genre(s): Pop, Electropop, R&B
Written By: J.Grimmie, L.Keaton
Produced By: The Wolverines

Porcelain Heart is a song written and recorded by American singer-songwriter Joshua Grimmie and British-Azeri singer-songwriter Lincoln. It is the second track coming form Grimmie's debut studio album of the same name, although stylised differently, "PORCELAINHEART". The track follows on from the breezy tropical sounds of the album opener and lead single "Don't Let It Go To Your Head". On April 16th 2017, Porcelain Heart was made available for download as an "instant grat" on iTunes along with Don't Let It Go To Your Head and Prayer when one pre-ordered the album. The song heavily features Lincoln Keaton who gained international fame in 2016 for his multi-platinum and chart-topping hit single Bang The Drum. The record was initially written by Joshua Grimmie in mid-2016 shortly after winning a lengthy legal battle with his former record label, Underdog Entertainment. When Keaton was brought into the project, their was some miscommunication regarding what Grimmie required from him. Lincoln was meant to record the verse which began with the line "Kicking off so quick, there's too much chemistry...", one which Joshua had written already but Keaton was under the impression that he had to write his own section to bring to the project. Upon hearing Lincoln's own verses, Grimmie was tremendously impressed and decided to include them rather than put Keaton's hard work to waste. The song was first premiered during a live performance on April 1st 2017 on the opening night of Grimmie's Unapologetic Tour. The track is second-to-last on the setlist and support act Martin Skye joins Joshua on stage, singing Lincoln's parts.

Production of the song came from none other than The Wolverines, a staple in pop music of the last five years. Grimmie was initially reluctant to work with them as well as others outside of the acoustic pop genre but after some persuasion from his manager, Bilal Holmes, Joshua was more open to work with acts from different musical backgrounds. Porcelain Heart was one of two songs he approached the duo with. He put a lot of emphasis on the fact that the song had to be "perfect" and one of the highlights of the record. Grimmie later revealed that he did not always see eye to eye with The Wolverines over their takes on the song. Multiple versions were recorded but Joshua did not agree with their vision. Eventually, they agreed on a final mix in late 2016 but it was again re-worked and extended to include Keaton's new segment. The track, like Don't Let It Go To Your Head, marks a departure from the original acoustic pop styling of his debut single Prayer. Incorporating elements of R&B and electropop, the song subtly embodies the genre of pop with its simple arrangement and effortlessly charming hook.

Lyrically, the song refers to the reluctance to enter a new relationship due to the damage and turmoil the last one had created. While they no longer think of their past lovers in a romantic way, they are still hung up on the heartache and never want to experience it again. Having your heart broken can take one to a very dark and frightening state of mind, depending on just how invested one was in the relationship in the first place. Porcelain Heart states that they have finally put themselves back together and while they are infatuated and intrigued by a new love interest, Joshua and Lincoln simply cannot commit to them as they fear they will only be hurt again and be sent back to square one. Due to their "porcelain heart" already being damaged once, they are unwilling to let it be handled again in case the next breakage is beyond repair.

Joshua Says
Quote:
"I think that Porcelain Heart, no pun intended, really is the heart of the record. It is the title track for a reason. It really sums up the fragility of the human heart and mind, which is a them I explore throughout the album. It's all about extreme emotions, whether it's about feeling overcome with love to the point where you feel like you're just going to burst with euphoria or whether you're on the brink of a traumatic breakdown. Porcelain Heart, the song, talks about being so burnt out from a previous relationship and truly fucked over that you aren't willing to give a new relationship a chance. You don't want to experience the heartache all over again because it put you in such a dark place, you don't want to revisit it. Obviously, it refers to the heart as being like porcelain that's been smashed and put back together again. It may be able to fit in place but the cracks are still there and it's never as strong as it once was. You don't want people to handle it in case it breaks beyond repair this time. You'd rather be safe and alone than take the risk."

"The song was originally a solo one but I felt like it needed another voice. It wasn't that I felt the song needed a call and respond take to it. I didn't want to be singing about being heartbroken and have the featured artist give their response as to why they did what they did. I feel like that would have taken away from the fragility and sorrowful essence of the track. I wanted another voice to showcase their own heartache too and really focus on how fucked up love can make people. I think that Lincoln was a great fit for the song. His vocals are real smooth in comparison to my sharper tones and we emote so differently, which I think shows different interpretations of heartbreak. I sound more pained and angry in my delivery and Lincoln sounds rather tender and defeated by it all. I'm so glad that I went ahead with the collaboration because I was reluctant to feature anyone on my record at first. He's such a talent and one of the most respectful, well mannered and humble people you will ever meet in this industry."

"I was hooked up with The Wolverines for production of the track. I knew that it had to be done just right as I had a lot riding on it. I went to them with the melody, the lyrics and the idea of making it the title of my album too. I had such a connection with the song. The guys are such professionals and they know their way around a song but I felt like we just weren't getting it at first. It was either too downbeat or too pop. Kudos to them putting up with my nitpicking and constantly churning out different versions of the track. Even when we got the final mix, they had to do it again and extend it because, at the time, it was still a solo track but then Lincoln came in later and added in new verses. The outcome was exactly what I wanted; pulsating, magical, a slow-jam and sonically supports the sombre tones of the lyrics."

Joshua
Lincoln
Both

It's beating out the most beautiful symphony
Chemical-like rushes, it's all a part of our biology
It was reboot to the system, touch like electricity
But I can't let my head float into the clouds
Fear of the fall and flatlining on the way down
Don't do that to me

Kicking off so quick, there's too much chemistry
You're pulling me in and how can I defy gravity?
It's ecstasy for now but I never want you as the enemy
Wish that I could drown out all of the sound
Ignorance is bliss but it's impossible, you're all around
Don't do that to me

I let somebody handle it and they did so much damage
Picked up the pieces, I drew blood through the carnage
Put it back together but it was never the same
Turning cold but I can't risk playing another game

Oh, I wish I could learn to love the way it burns
Ignite it with a human touch, running with open arms
I wanna hand it over and be helped out with a beat or two
But all these steps down your road give me this déjà vu
You have all that I need to give me that jumpstart
But I can't take the risk of breaking this porcelain heart

Don't go and break it
Don't go and break it
Don't go and break it
Please don't break this porcelain...
Don't go and break it
Don't go and break it
Don't go and break it

I just can't sing along in this glorious harmony
Wish you were part of me, intertwined, my anatomy
Overdosing on you but can't overcome the fragility
And I can't repeat it, don't spin me round and round
Cracks already showing, it beats and it pounds
Don't do that to me

Marching to the tune of our song, the sweetest melody
Whistling on the death march, I don't want World War Three
Ain't no fairytale with the happy ending and simplicity
I'm inside the embrace of something so profound
But I can't sit on the pedestal and become the clown
Don't do that to me

I let somebody handle it and they played to their advantage
Picked up the pieces, made do with what I could salvage
Put it back together but it still never numbed the pain
Turning cold but I can't risk letting you in my veins

Oh, I wish I could learn to love the way it burns
Ignite it with a human touch, running with open arms
But all these steps down your road give me this déjà vu

Don't go and break it
Don't go and break it
Don't go and break it
Don't go and break it
Don't go and break it
Don't go and break it

I know it's a long road but I'd rather go it alone
Too much to deal with, I'd rather walk on, walk on

Oh, I wish I could learn to love the way it burns (Yeah, yeah!)
Ignite it with a human touch, running with open arms (With a human touch)
But all these steps down your road give me this déjà vu (I just can't...)

Don't go and break it (No, don't break it!)
Don't go and break it (No, no, oooh!)
Don't go and break it (oh!)
Don't go and break it (No!)
Don't go and break it (I just can't take it!)
Don't go and break it

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 16 April 2017 18:37:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

thanks 11 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 16/04/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 16/04/2017(UTC), kandii on 16/04/2017(UTC), erich hess on 17/04/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 17/04/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 17/04/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 19/04/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 23/04/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 24/04/2017(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 05/05/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 07/05/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#4 Posted : 17 April 2017 09:47:39(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

//

UserPostedImage

Title: Borrowed Scars
Length: 4:10
Genre(s): Pop
Written By: J.Grimmie, S.Hollywood
Produced By: MakeAScene

Borrowed Scars is a song by American singer-songwriter Joshua Grimmie. It is the third track coming from Grimmie's debut studio album, "PORCELAINHEART". The tracks follows on from the dark, pulsating title track which features British-Azeri recording artist Lincoln. Continuing the more sombre tones, Borrowed Scars takes the form of a pop ballad and features instrumentation from drums and organ, with minor vocoder effects of Joshua's voice, which is mainly used in its lower register through the majority of the song. The record was written in October 2016 with Sara Hollywood, an in-house writer at Five Pesky Kids. Hollywood is known for being a key player in writing Weekend's biggest hits. Alongside Dustyn Blue and Bilal Holmes, they are often referred to by fans and critics as "the sacred three". Borrowed Scars was one of the last songs to be completed for the project. Grimmie had written the song but had cast it aside and "forgotten about it" when he was initially creating a tracklist for the album. After revising the final songs, he wanted a more "balanced" selection as he believed the majority of the songs painted him as the "person always hard done by" and wanting to mix things up, Borrowed Scars is a track which showcases him as the one in the wrong and inflicting the pain. The song was first premiered during a live performance on April 1st 2017 on the opening night of Grimmie's Unapologetic Tour. The track is the second on the setlist but has only been performed acoustically by Joshua on his guitar. The official studio version was premiered on April 16th 2017.

Production of the song came from British electronica/indie-pop duo MakeAScene, who are signed exclusively to Five Pesky Kids. Grimmie was initially reluctant to work with them as well as others outside of the acoustic pop genre but after some persuasion from his manager, Bilal Holmes, Joshua was more open to work with acts from different musical backgrounds. Borrowed Scars was one of two songs he approached the duo with, the other being the closing track "Breathe Fire". Known for their "quirky" and "dark" sound, demonstrated on their hit single "Give Me Something" which features Oscar Ward, Grimmie wanted to adopt some of their darker styling yet not delve into anything that sounded "too left-field". In spite of its lyrical theme and gloomy vocal delivery throughout the verses, the chorus belts into an uplifting and euphoric sound, aided by melodic effects from the electronic nature of the music. A dusty drum and single organ chords start the song off, giving it a minimalist vibe and supporting the illusion that this will be a straight-up pop ballad. In actuality, as the song progresses, the listener will hear that the song actually has edgier composition with the use of slight vocoder effects and heavy synth percussion.

Lyrically, the song focuses on Joshua playing the victim and dwelling on past negative experiences that no longer have an impact on him. He does this in order to live out an easy life in which he gets a free pass and a right to put in little effort due to him being the "injured party". The main aspect of the song, however, is the fact that he is in a relationship built on this victim mentality. It's almost co-dependent. It is suggested that Joshua's partner initially fell for him during a low point in his life and their bonds were solidified on the basis of him needing emotional support. Now that he's no longer going through the pain, he fears that he'll lose his lover due to them not being able to recognise him any more and he is also lazy, loving being waited on hand and foot. He does not want to give that up at all. Throughout the song, Joshua states that he knows what he is doing is wrong and that he wishes he could change, but he lacks the willpower and would rather keep things the way they are because he is guaranteed security.

Joshua Says
Quote:
"Things take a turn here on Borrowed Scars. The first two tracks, Don't Let It Go To Your Head and Porcelain Heart, portray a victim in the sense that they have been screwed over so badly in life and they are still very much dealing with it...or at least trying to. This track, however, takes advantage of that victim mentality. They were hurt in the past but they're manipulating things and playing up to it in order to gain sympathy from their lover and others. The song is obviously about a relationship and although it's fictitious as I've never experienced one like that, the basis of lying to get your own way is pretty much true. I had to get real with myself and accept that I played up to negative situations to my advantage. Back in high school, my aunt was real sick...like near-death type sick. I was worried about her and I couldn't concentrate in classes any more. My grades dropped, my attendance was shambolic...it all went downhill. She eventually got better though, not 100%, but she came back from the brink at least. I think, subconsciously, I was dwelling on that too much...even when she got better. It's like I was just purposely thinking of negative things or making them worse in my head as a way of gaining special treatment from my friends and teachers. It was a way of getting one-on-one time...extended deadlines...sympathy company. I sort of took that, put a different spin on it so it would work for a relationship, and formed the basis of the song."

"Management booked me into a writing session with Sara Hollywood, who I think is an underrated pop genius. I came to her with the rough idea of the song and I told her the backing story behind it. It was rather therapeutic. I think that talking about it and writing the song helped me let go of the fact, or at least accept, that I made mistakes and stopped myself from achieving bigger things because of that victim mentality. I've let that go now. Sara was really interested in the new spin and she came up with the idea of his past being rather ambiguous. You don't know if he was physically hurt, like in an accident, or in a past relationship. Lines like "Hold me close in the flashing lights" could be taken literally or metaphorically. There's the flashing lights of police cars and ambulances but it could also be meaning a very chaotic time in his life. I think that many people out there, including celebrities and...world leaders...like to dwell on negative situations to make them look good and others look bad. Once we get hold of a good thing, we don't want to let that go so we will do whatever it takes to keep that power even if what you're doing is wrong on so many levels."

"MakeAScene produced the song and I knew that they were extremely talented but I had no idea that they were this versatile. I was a huge fan of their single "Give Me Something" and I knew that they would kill production on another track that I had but I thought I would be taking a risk handing them "Borrowed Scars". They really dissected the lyrics and they were talking to me, quizzing me about what I envisioned for the track. We were discussing themes and I suggested one of hopelessness. The guy in the song clearly thinks he's the victim and wants to lay there while his superhero cleans his wounds and does all the fighting for him. When they played that first chord of the organ, I knew they were onto something. I could imagine someone walking over a post-apocalyptic wasteland with their lover in their arms...the lover being the douche of a guy. My vocals throughout most of the track show of my lower register and I wanted a track that would compliment that sort of serious and bleak vibe. For the chorus, I wanted it to be taken up a notch and pack more of a punch. The sudden drama in the song is like the wailing and pleading from the "hurt" lover. They're BEGGING them not to let go and it embodies the crave of attention."

You say that you'll ride or die through my everything
What if I told you that you've been inhaling pipe dreams?
Wanna change but I can't get it right
Didn't mean to go this far and I try to keep my heart clean
But it's easier being the victim to keep you beside me
Hold me close in the flashing lights

The hurt boy I was years ago comes out to play at night
I relive his stories so that you'll never leave my side
Open old wounds, press the bruises so you think I'm not alright

I'm just living on, living on my old borrowed scars
Reliving the darkened pages of my pathetic memoirs
I try to do some good but the days always last too long
Would rather hear your lullaby, sing my favorite song
You're just loving on, loving on my old borrowed scars
Fell for a false image, I wish it didn't go this far
I try to make it right but there's no rush like wrong
Don't wanna cut our ties that I've been stringing along

Keep amplifying the aches and dwelling on old pains
If I say that I'm fine, I'll lose it all once again
It's much safer here on my back
I know that you'll hold my hand when I lose another friend
Shakes me for a moment, I close my eyes and count to ten
They say a good thing never lasts

The hurt boy I was years ago comes out to play at night
I relive his stories so that you'll never leave my side
Open old wounds, press the bruises so you think I'm not alright

I'll think up something from nothing to make you stay
Plunge in the dagger because I don't mind the pain
It's messed up but it's real love so I'd do it again
There's a twisted bind that locks in the spark
It tightens and cripples your beautiful heart
I'll lay down that line that keeps pulling you back
Back to kiss these borrowed scars, oh

I'm just living on, living on my...
I'm just living on, living on my...

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 10 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 17/04/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 19/04/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 20/04/2017(UTC), kandii on 21/04/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 23/04/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 24/04/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 05/05/2017(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 05/05/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 07/05/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/05/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 20 April 2017 06:12:08(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

//

UserPostedImage

Title: Play Pretend
Length: 3:20
Genre(s): Electronica, Rock-Pop, Pop
Produced By: LosOscuros

Play Pretend is a song by American singer-songwriter Joshua Grimmie. It is the fourth track coming from Grimmie's debut studio album, "PORCELAINHEART". The tracks follows on from the sombre, pop ballad "Borrowed Scars" in which Joshua used his lower vocal register throughout the majority of it. Play Pretend offers a stark contradiction in terms of both production and vocal delivery. Displaying soaring, husky vocals and a trashing electronica/rock inspired instrumentation, the track has been deemed a "standout" and one of the most "lively" on the record. Joshua wrote the song entirely by himself while at the Pesky offices with production team LosOscuros. Grimmie possesses several notepads filled with ideas for songs as well as rough lyrics and the basis for Play Pretend grew out of it almost on the spot. After presenting some of his lyrics to the team, new concepts and lines continued to develop throughout the conversations and the song was eventually fully-formed. In the space of a day, the lyrics were completed alongside a demo version of the entire track. Play Pretend was one of three songs from the album not to be played by Grimmie during his Unapologetic Tour. It was premiered on April 19th 2017.

Production of the song was handled by LosOscuros, a production team who have long been a staple in Five Pesky Kids Records. They are known for their heavy rock-pop sound and have been instrumental in the production of some of Weekend's biggest and much loved hits. Joshua was scheduled to work with them at a later date but the conception of Play Pretend came about much earlier than anticipated. Grimmie was only socialising with the team at their label's headquarters and had brought the idea of the song up in conversation. Encouraged to push ahead with his idea, Joshua eventually wrote the song and formed the melody right there in the same room. Wasting no time, LosOscuros put him in the booth and started to work away. Filled with bombastic power chords and support from an ethereal organ, Play Pretend immediately demands attention and is a major curveball among an album filled with many subtle, mid-tempo offerings. The walls of layered electric guitars, played by none other than Grimmie himself, really present a "raw" sound and anyone who had doubts about him being a "real musician" after hearing the tropical house infused lead single are put at ease. His vocals are powerful and somewhat hoarse - a rather divisive aspect of his voice.

Lyrically, the song can be seen as rather sarcastic yet truly upsetting all at once. Grimmie has compared it to the opening track, Don't Let It Go To Your Head, on account of its lyrical styling. The song focuses on Grimmie yearning after an ex-lover who has moved on and is happy in their new life. They appear to be engaged, living in a new home with their partner and Joshua is no longer part of their life and he fears that he doesn't even cross their mind in the slightest. What Joshua wants is for them to miss him and "play pretend" so that he doesn't feel like the only one who is "sad" and can't move on. He acknowledges that his ex has moved on and, while he is happy for them, there is still a lot of jealousy and resentment on his part as he fails to move along. The person that he still loves and thinks about each day has truly forgotten about him and the song embodies the sadness and desperation he now feels.

Joshua Says
Quote:
"There are many reasons why I absolutely adore this track. From the insane production to the way I pushed myself vocally right down to the borderline crazy-possessive lyrics...it really packs a punch. I've said it before but this was truly my favorite song on PORCELAINHEART to record. The energy was next-level that day. The lyrics really do stick in your head and it's nothing really to do with how catchy they are or anything in terms of styling but it's just how raw and sad they are. I've called this Don't Let It Go To Your Head's emo sister. They're both about not being able to pick up the pieces after a relationship ends but Don't... sort of balances its darker lyrical content out with a breezy instrumentation whereas this one is just guns blazing, crying out for help and admitting how desperate you are. "I'm not on your mind but please swap his face for mine/Hope it's not too much to ask but can you be my lifeline?" - lines like that really say it all. Putting in words and phrases like "please" and "hope it's not too much to ask..." sort of sugarcoat the severity of the situation and he thinks that being somewhat civil about it will make his lover come back to him when that really isn't going to happen! "Empty space beside me while you roll in your Cali king bed/When he's up in you, I hope that I'm all up in your head" just really pushes it and you can see how jealous this guy is. It's kinda funny how he thinks making statements like this will help his cause but it really is saddening and, at the end of the day, one big cry for help."

"I had been toying around with the idea for this song for quite some time. I had a few buzz words, rough lines and phrases written down in my notepad but couldn't quite get out what I wanted to say so I had left it and revisited whenever I had some sort of inspiration. It wasn't until I was hanging with the guys from LosOscuros that it really came to fruition. I was just hanging with them as I had gotten to know them since signing to Pesky and they are really cool guys. I was just flipping through my notes, talking about random song ideas and they seemed to like the essence of "Play Pretend". That was already the working title and a little phrase I had scribbled down so I expanded on it from there. I had been struggling with it for months but in that moment, and I don't know if it was down to having all eyes on me, I was just formulating the song for them right there on the spot. They praised everything I came up with and I think the encouragement really helped me connect positively to the song and, in turn, it just fell onto the page."

"The guys got me into the booth down the hall and we all started working on the track straight away. I tend to form my own melodies too so we already had that more or less under wraps. It really was just a case of getting a killer instrumentation. I had decided to really push myself vocally with the support of LosOscuros. I felt like I really needed a song that "soared" on the record as PORCELAINHEART is a rather fragile sounding collection of songs...I wanted one of them to be that song that sounded like it shattered that fragile porcelain. To back up that intense vocal delivery, we needed something blustering in terms of production. I was fiddling around on the electric guitar, playing a few riffs and chords and there was one, totally off the cuff while practising, that the guys seemed to love. You hear it play once before the chorus kicks in the second time around. We sort of built up around that stadium rock sound and layered our guitars to form that huge chorus. For the verses we wanted it to sound a tad more subtle. Building up to the chorus allowed it to stand out even more. If the entire song was as thrashing and chaotic, it would lose a lot of its magic. When it came to the verses, we wanted to go with an instrument that sounded calmer than the guitars but equally as devastating so we brought in that eerie organ and dusty drum beats. Coincidentally, Play Pretend follows on from Borrowed Scars, which also features the organ."

I'm guessing that all I had was never enough
Whatever he's supplying makes you feel like a million bucks
And I just crashed at another cheap motel, yeah
Emptied out the mini-bar to help me feel numb
Drunk dialled again, pounded the screen with my thumb
Just thought I'd let you know I'm doing so well...

Bet you don't even wear my shirt you once adored
Probably now an old rag laying on the cutting room floor
You don't mean it but it forces the knife in deeper
When you hear our song, do you crank it up high?
Or is it tumbleweed filler that just drags on by?
Those same beats have now worn out my speakers...

I know you're happy, living those white picket dreams
I really thought we'd make it there first
Guess you've really moved on from our wild-hearted teens
Got a grasp of life and I'm so unrehearsed

I'm not on your mind but please swap his face for mine
Hope it's not too much to ask but can you be my lifeline?
Empty space beside me while you roll in your Cali king bed
When he's up in you, I hope that I'm all up in your head
You're getting by, riding on a high and that's so great
But can you at least play pretend just for my sake?
Whoa, oh
Whoa, oh
Can you at least play pretend just for my sake?

Don't you worry about me, I'm not yet a total wreck
Out here on my grind, trying to catch that overdue break
Want to jump trains but lack the confidence, yeah
Searching around, trying to grasp onto that something new
But no thrills ever seem to come close to you
Can I have a quick fix 'cause I'm at the edge?

I know you're ecstatic and I heard he's such a daydream
He placed that ring and I can't describe how it hurts
Guess you've really moved on and I'm still that wild teen
But I still love you for better or for worse, oh!

Whoa, oh
Whoa, oh

The cold hard truth is you can make it without me
The cold hard truth is I can't do it alone
Yeah, The cold hard truth is you can make it without me
The cold hard truth is I can't do it alone

Whoa, oh
Whoa, oh

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 9 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
JohnnyBBB on 20/04/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 20/04/2017(UTC), kandii on 21/04/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/04/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 23/04/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 24/04/2017(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 05/05/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 07/05/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/05/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#6 Posted : 21 April 2017 03:06:53(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

ooc: Original lyrics, bar minor changes, created by the user mebeme101

UserPostedImage

//

UserPostedImage

Title: Prayer
Length: 3:27
Genre(s): Acoustic Pop, Pop
Written By: J.Grimmie, J.Estrada
Produced By: Jacob Estrada

Prayer is a song by American singer-songwriter Joshua Grimmie. It was released as his debut single on May 18th 2015 following the cancellation of the third season of Star Factory which he appeared in. The song was released independently and became a viral sensation due to its catchy nature as well as being aided by the popularity of Grimmie on the singing competition. Prayer garnered the attention of Underdog Entertainment and later Five Pesky Kids Records after the track went viral and charted within the top ten in multiple countries. Grimmie signed to Underdog in summer 2015, who dealt with distribution exclusively in Canada, and later to Pesky for worldwide distribution. Joshua began working on his debut studio album in mid-2015 but a breakdown in his professional relationship with Underdog Entertainment halted the project for over a year and a lengthy legal battle ensued. The album was believed to have been titled "Scared of the Dark" but Grimmie has neither confirmed or denied this. Various incarnations of his debut album were scrapped over the course of 2015 and 2016. Joshua would not re-emerge until 2017 on his AJ collaboration, Really Somebody. Prayer was included on the final version of PORCELAINHEART despite it being almost two years since its release. Joshua claims that he owes so much to the song and would never shun it. The track was co-written by chart-topping acoustic pop singer Jacob Estrada.

As well as co-writing the song with Grimmie, Jacob Estrada also produced the entire song. Estrada worked closely with Joshua during the early days of his career and it is believed that he produced the majority of his original album. The song was composed in B♭ minor with a tempo of 150 beats per minute and drew multiple comparisons to Jacob Estrada's solo material and Alec Cole while critics likened his voice to the huskiness of Dustyn Blue's. Prayer is one of the most "stripped back" songs on the album in terms of production. It focuses mainly on the light plucking of an acoustic guitar, allowing Joshua's voice and the lyrical content to shine more. As the song progresses and builds up to the chorus, other instruments such as drums and bass guitar come into play as well as hand claps but, despite the varied mixture, the instrumentation remains subtle. With no artificially generated sounds, Prayer is one of the most "raw" and "natural" sounding tracks on PORCELAINHEART, which often dabbles in electronica and synthpop sounds and influences.

The song deals with moving on from a toxic relationship and is definitely one of the most straight-forward tracks on the album. Grimmie is known for putting sarcastic tones and hidden twists in his songs which allow the listeners to interpret the messages throughout in their own ways but Prayer, one of the first songs he had ever written, showcases a more blunt and brutally honest approach in his songwriting. The song tells us that Joshua is used to his partner taking advantage of him and they have broken up many times before, however, it is final this time. He states how he is no longer under their influence and will not be mourning the end of the relationship, finally feeling like a weight has been lifted from his shoulders and that he can finally focus on his own happiness and well-being. The song was released around the time that he and fellow Star Factory contestant Valerie Hue were dating, which stirred up multiple rumors that suggested Hue was the inspiration behind the song. Grimmie denied this repeatedly and stated that he and Estrada were simply "telling a story" through the song.

Joshua Says

Quote:
"I owe so much to this song. It really helped put me on the map and although I've gone through some shit that I wish didn't happen off the back of this song, I'm still glad that I kicked off my career with it way back then. You know, coming off of Star Factory, you're never guaranteed success no matter where you place...let alone being on a season that got cancelled! Just because people like seeing you on TV and vote for you as you sing covers, it doesn't mean they'll be there for your own original music and artistic vision after the show. You don't hear from like 80% of acts from the show any more yet ELMNT, who were the very first to be eliminated in season one, went on to score a #1 EP, so you never know how things are going to turn out. Luckily Prayer took off and presented me with so many opportunities. I was performing on the other side of the world, I was being interviewed on Ellen and GMA, I signed TWO record deals and even topped the charts in Australia all because of the song. I think its lyrical bluntness yet catchy melody help propel the song and its why it resonates with so many people. It sure as hell sticks in your head. The lyrics hit home to many people and like most good pop records, it's punchy and to-the-point. "

"I was approached by Jacob Estrada when he had heard that I wanted to continue with music after the show ended. He was a fan of my performances and covers online. I was stunned when he reached out because...that just doesn't happen! I am a huge fan of his work and it was an honor to be acknowledged by him at all. Word had gotten out, via my big sis, that I was working on an album independently and he wanted to be part of it so we met up and just vibed for a bit. We chilled, talked, got to know each other, messed around with a few chords and I played him some of the stuff I already had. He was impressed by the stories I was telling, especially at my age. I was flattered as hell. It never really clicked that I had a pretty good imagination and knew a lot about life just from observing and learning from my surroundings. I've only dated two people, actually only one at that point in time, yet I was writing all sorts about love and relationships...going into so much detail and delving into multiple layers. Jacob wanted to keep pushing with that and we just created a random scenario about a toxic relationship off the top of my head. I felt more comfortable writing about fictitious things and situations that I had witnessed rather than my own personal relationship because I felt it would be a little...cheesy and a tad creepy. My girlfriend at the time was my girlfriend and not an experiment or muse just so I could write something. To make it seem a little more authentic though, I came up with the idea of mentioning "not needing a prayer" in the song. My family are religious and although I am not as...involved in that...I still hold certain beliefs and morals and definitely respect their faith in God. I used to be rather religious but the reference in the song kinda taps into the idea that I'm no longer a devout believer. It's subtle but it really is a way of me saying "Forget you, forget help from a higher power, I'm doing this all on my own!" and yeah...the song was born. We even titled it Prayer despite that reference only coming up in the middle 8."

"Production was pretty simple. I was armed with my acoustic guitar from a very young age so any covers or original songs always stemmed from the instrument. It was what people knew me for before, during and after Star Factory. I felt like it was necessary to incorporate my love for acoustic sounds into my music, especially back then. Obviously, my sound has developed now, and I'm glad it has because my original first album sounded like the same song over and over again when I listened back to it a while ago! For my debut single, though, I wanted something that represented who I was at the time. I'm all for being unapologetic in who I am as an individual and as an artist. I was told that an acoustic sound wouldn't do that well in the charts but it's what I wanted to do so I went with it. It was hard to pinpoint the exact sound I wanted when pitching ideas to Jacob, who'd go on to bulk up production of the song. We had the chords and melody down but it was pretty bare. I was saying things to him like: "I want drums in here...but not in here and don't overdo it", "Yeah it's acoustic pop but I want it to sound soulful" and "Make it sound big in the chorus but not too big!". He was looking at me with the crazy eyes. I was a 17-year-old kid with all these demands for a musician who had already topped the charts and won awards. Jacob was a good sport though and he really hit the nail on the head with the final version. It was everything I had envisioned."

I thought this was just like before
But unlike those times you've walked out the door
Didn't know how I would survive
But without you here I'm doing just fine

Clear skies no more rain and thunder
The sun is shining everything will be alright
I'm tired I don't want to wonder
So come on

I'm gonna patch up wherever I bleed
Wake up won't be brought to my knees
And I'll go on without your sweet lips
Watch me burn up this shit
I'll be picking up myself
No more begging you to come back

Just when I thought that you had put out my flame
The sparks ignited, I illuminate once again
You're ice cold and that's not what I want
So I'm gonna burn this fire, oh
And you'll be crying on your own

Clear skies no more rain and thunder
The sun is shining everything will be alright
I'm tired I don't want to wonder
So come on

I don't need no prayer cause I can do this on my own
I don't need no prayer I'd rather be alone
I don't need no prayer cause I can do this on my own, I can do this on my own

I'll go on without your sweet lips
I'll go on without your sweet lips

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 03 August 2017 04:27:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

kandii on 21/04/2017(UTC), erich hess on 21/04/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 21/04/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/04/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 21/04/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 23/04/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 24/04/2017(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 05/05/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 07/05/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/05/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#7 Posted : 22 April 2017 03:10:42(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

//

UserPostedImage

Title: Vital Signs
Length: 3:19
Produced By: Joshua Grimmie

Vital Signs is a song by American singer-songwriter Joshua Grimmie. It is the sixth track coming from Grimmie's debut studio album, "PORCELAINHEART". The track follows on from the upbeat acoustic-pop number Prayer, which also served as his debut single back in 2015. Like the previous track, Vital Signs carries on the guitar-heavy pop sound and sits among the segment of the album which focuses mainly on the stringed instrumentation sound. The song harks back to the type of music that made Joshua famous back in 2015 and he claims that it is the song most reminiscent of the sound from his original scrapped album, alongside Prayer and Faking On Top Of The World. The song was written entirely by Joshua in early 2016 while he was in the midst of a legal battle with Underdog Entertainment and it is one of the oldest songs on the album as the majority of it came to fruition in mid-late 2016. The song was first premiered during a live performance on April 1st 2017 on the opening night of Grimmie's Unapologetic Tour. The official studio version was premiered on April 21st 2017 and was made available to download as an instant-grat for those who had pre-ordered the album.

The song was originally produced by Grimmie back in early 2016 and that version initially made it to a rough draft of PORCELAINHEART's tracklist but was eventually scrapped and re-worked in February 2017. Due to where it was positioned in the album, Grimmie felt that the production needed to be "kicked up a notch" and that the original version was too similar to Prayer. Joshua wanted to re-work on the record yet maintain the acoustic sound as that was very important to him, specifically wanting a section of the album to serve as a nod to his original inspirations. Most of the original Vital Signs lyrics were kept intact for the new version, minus a few changes due to a new formula for the melody. The new version of the song stays true to the guitar-laced goodness he brought to the table in the past but this time, he has upped the anti. Bringing in electric guitars, strained vocals and combining the catchy qualities of pop, the current trends of tropical music and the ferociousness of rock, Vital Signs was elevated from a self-confessed "rip-off of Prayer" to being an injection of life in the middle of the record.

Following on from Prayer, which discussed someone escaping a toxic relationship, Joshua flipped it back around on this one. Vital Signs focuses on being well and truly wrapped up in a relationship that really isn't good for his mental health but Grimmie loves it anyway. The first two lines "Call me at midnight to chase away your Monday blues/Answering the phone, I throw the war and concede" suggest that Joshua has tried to break from this cycle and has distanced himself from his lover but as soon as they enter his life again, he has absolutely no willpower at all and lets them rule once again. Vital Signs has many metaphors to drug addiction, car crashes and near-death experiences, highlighting just how powerful and dangerous the love between he and his partner can be. He compares their presence to a "gateway drug" which leads him wanting more and eventually has him hooked, dependent.

Joshua Says:
Quote:
"Vital Signs was one of the longest songs to complete even though it was probably the quickest to write. I absolutely adore this song, even more so now that we're heading into the warmer months as it has a very beach-party vibe in my opinion. I felt like this song, as well as Porcelain Heart and Breathe Fire, was one of the most important to get right. The version you hear on the record is completely different to the original one I had last year. Both were absolutely hellish to complete because I was really putting the pressure on myself and I also wanted to do it alone, no outside help this time. I made a conscious decision to have a song on the record in the same lane as Prayer. I knew I'd be coming back with a new sound but I didn't want my fans to feel completely isolated as they obviously loved Prayer. I think I put too much focus on making it sound like a part two of that song, which is why I hounded myself while creating the original version. When I finally completed it, I sat with the song for months and after playing the album through for a while, it was the one song I grew tired of. It followed on from Prayer and sounded almost identical, like an extended sluggish version. Being placed in the middle of the record, I didn't want the listeners to grow tired so I knew I had to work on it once again and turn it up to 100."

"I wrote the song way back in early 2016 while I was still going through my battle with Underdog Entertainment. I was constantly writing and recording even though I was unsure if I would ever be able to release music officially again. This one is the second oldest on PORCELAINHEART and after all the hassle it gave me, I'd be damned to just forget about it! When I was writing, I was in probably the most frustrating period of my life. My relationship with my girlfriend at the time was flailing, I was right in the middle of a court battle and I had no idea if I would get out of a very negative situation. I didn't want the bad vibes to have an impact on my music. I didn't want to be like "fuck the world!" all over my songs so I took a lot of negative words like "war", "toxic", "wounded", "contaminate" and delivered them with a lot of venom yet apply them to an upbeat song. My vocal delivery is real harsh and the song clearly describes a bad situation but the overall feel and outcome is a happy-sounding pop melody. I took the bad and made it into something good. It really was a way of me ranting without seeming like a victim and it also stopped me from cussing multiple people out in my life at the time!"

"Like I said, production was not easy. The new version of the song took slightly less time because I had a fresher idea but I still wanted to make sure I got it right as I had a lot sitting on it. It needed to inject a new lease of life into the album. Porcelain Heart, Borrowed Scars and Play Pretend are rather sad in tone and the next track, Prayer, was rather laid back in its production so I wanted to give things a good kick up the ass. I knew I had to bring the guitars into play again so that was sorted but I was still looking for something to take the track that bit further. By that time, we had decided that Don't Let It Go To Your Head was going to be the lead single. That song combines acoustic-pop with tropical house and I thought "let's play with that!" when it came to re-working vital signs. I focused on making it sound sun-kissed and breezy but I didn't want to copy DLIGTYH so rather than rely on studio production, I used multiple layered guitars to create a more raw sounding beat break. It is a strong contender for the third single as it combines the acoustic sounds of Prayer and the tropical vibes of Don't Let It Go To Your Head, like an amalgamation of the things I've been experimenting with. It's definitely one of my favorites to perform. I played it on the Unapologetic Tour and it really does rage the energy in the room."

Call me at midnight to chase away your Monday blues
Answering the phone, I throw the war and concede
And if I ever had to choose between oxygen and you
Just know that it would lock down into a dead heat

Hit me up with that sweetest little gateway drug
Flavors and highs that are too euphoric to resist
Gimme something edible, one alone is never enough
The doctor's judging, saying "Boy, you cant be fixed"

I'd testify, I'd confess
I'd bathe in the waters for that cleanse
Eternally cursed or forever blessed?
No idea but you lift me higher than the rest

Oh, the kissing leads to touching leads to
Loving leads to thunder leaves me
Feeling like I've gone another ten rounds
Yeah, the kissing leads to touching leads to
Loving leads to rumbles leaves me
Laying out here cold and wounded on the battleground
Trace your fingertips all around the battle lines
Contaminate my IV, fluctuating my vital signs

[Guitar break]

Fluctuating my vital signs
Fluctuating my vital...

[Guitar break]

I know this road very well, forget about headlights
Full of collisions but you got that healing touch
Shattered on the sidewalk, beam me up to the skies
Don't care if you're toxic, I've already succumbed

I'd testify, I'd confess
I'd bathe in the waters for that cleanse
Eternally cursed or forever blessed?
No idea but you lift me higher than the rest

[Guitar break]

Fluctuating my vital...

[Guitar break]

You got me caught up, tangled in the wreck and the mess
I'm trying to find my sanity through the rain and the mist
Just a little penny, rolling round and the round the edge
Looping around your track, you're threatening to push me in
And I love it, oh, whoa oh
Yeah, I love this

[Guitar break]

Fluctuating my vital...

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 03 August 2017 04:28:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

JohnnyBBB on 22/04/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 22/04/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 23/04/2017(UTC), kandii on 24/04/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 24/04/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 04/05/2017(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 05/05/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 06/05/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 07/05/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/05/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#8 Posted : 04 May 2017 09:53:53(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

//

UserPostedImage

Title: Faking On Top Of The World
Length: 3:37
Produced By: Toby Gad

Faking On Top Of The World is a song by American singer-songwriter Joshua Grimmie. It is the seventh track coming from Grimmie's debut studio album, "PORCELAINHEART". The track follows on from the highly upbeat rock/acoustic-pop crossover Vital Signs. Like the previous track, Faking On Top Of The World carries on the guitar-heavy pop sound and sits among the segment of the album which focuses mainly on the stringed instrumentation sound. The song harks back to the type of music that made Joshua famous back in 2015 and he claims that it is the song most reminiscent of the sound from his original scrapped album, alongside Prayer and Vital Signs. The song was written entirely by Joshua in mid-2016 shortly after being freed from his record label. Grimmie aimed to create an "extremely positive" song, feeling that his album up until that point had lacked such a carefree, blissful number. The song was first premiered during a live performance on April 1st 2017 on the opening night of Grimmie's Unapologetic Tour. The official studio version was premiered on May 3rd 2017 and was made available to download as an instant-grat for those who had pre-ordered the album.

The rough demo of the song was arranged, produced and recorded by Joshua in the bedroom of his family home. He knew that he wanted "light" stringed instruments to be the basis of the song and being a skilled player, it was easy for him to pick up his guitar and head to work. After forming the initial melody and string arrangement, Joshua felt that the song needed the attention of a professional pop producer to "work their magic" on it, as he believed they could elevate the euphoric and sing-a-long vibe that he was aiming for but was failing to achieve with the simple bare bones of it. His record label sent the song over to acclaimed producer Toby Gad alongside samples of many other songs from Joshua. Liking what he heard, Gad worked on the song and also arranged to meet with Joshua at a later date, resulting in them creating Don't Let It Go To Your Head - a major comeback for Grimmie. The final version was morphed into a pop song, with a tempo of 138 beats per minute. The uplifting track still has guitar strumming acoustic-pop at its heart but also combined elements of folk and electronic music.

The track tells two stories according to Joshua, with one of them being more at the forefront and easier to initially pick up on during the first listen than the other. Taken at face value, the song can be seen to be about Joshua trying to cheer up a friend who has gone through a very dramatic and devastating break-up. They are extremely reluctant to put themselves first, forget about the heartache for one night and just enjoy themselves. Constantly dwelling on the negative situations, Joshua realises that this is not good for any party involved and he attempts to encourage his friend to let their hair down and join him on a night out. The line "One million x's and o's are lighting up the dark/Don't go turning them into little question marks" is an example of how this friend is constantly reluctant to see the fresh, new opportunities and always doubts and questions everything after being hurt so terribly. Joshua believes in the theory of "fake it until you make it" (hence the title of the song) and tries to convince this person to at least pretend to be happy and if they keep it up long enough, the smile will eventually morph into a real one. Even if they break down again tomorrow, they should at least try to dedicate one night to themselves. Joshua also admits that he too is faking his happiness - "Living off my own batch, don't you know I'm bluffing through life too?". The other take on the song is that Joshua is singing to a past version of himself. While engaging in a battle with Underdog Entertainment, Joshua contemplated leaving the industry altogether and could not see a positive outcome for himself. He later admitted that his own pessimistic views only exacerbated that difficult period of his life and that this song is his present self talking to "younger Joshua", telling him that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and holding onto negative regarding the label will not do him any good.

Joshua Says
Quote:
"This was one of the songs I knew that I not only NEEDED to create but I also HAD to put on the album. It is by far the most positive track on the record and probably out of all the songs I've ever made too. I'm a sucker for telling tales of tragedy in my music. I love exploring dark themes, fighting back, real intense emotions and I just wanted to stray from that a little. I feel like "Faking..." still has that undertone of sadness but overall, the feel of it is much more anthem-like. It's a total top down, chanting, sing-a-long, summer vibes song about letting go of all the negative shit that drags you down in life and just having a good time. I'm not one for writing party and drinking songs. I suck at them and that's not who I am as an artist, so this is kinda like my take on one of those. I feel like a lot of my songs can help channel anger in regards to rocky relationships and also open up some minds when it comes to tackling situations and reading people. This one on the other hand is a total escape. It's carefree and if someone is having a really shit day, I hope that they can put this on and for those three and a half minutes, their worries are no longer weighing them down."

"I wrote the song while I was at my parents' house, my family home. Like most of my earlier stuff, it was written and partially recorded in my bedroom with my computer and guitars. It already has a special air surrounding it purely because of how and where it was created. After signing deals, I was away from home a lot of the time whether it was for meetings, business ventures, promoting Prayer overseas, so I was constantly on the move and most songs I had created were born wherever I happened to set up shop that night. It was nice to get back to basics and return to where it all started; my bedroom. As I was in my own room, playing on my first guitar and sat at the computer that got my name out there in the first place, I felt like I had to get real personal with the lyrics. I like to tell stories and make my stuff a little more complex than your standard radio pop hit so I began to mess around with a few ideas that I had had. When you think of carefree, hands in the air, sing-a-long anthems, most people think of parties, friends and good times in general so I stuck with that and started to morph it into something with a little more depth. On the surface, the song is what I want the listeners to hear and take away from it. It's about joining me, knowing that you have a friend to hold your hand and forgetting about all the shit that's getting you down. The underbelly of the song that is personally for me, however, is totally different. I'm talking to a past version of myself, telling the dude that things will get better and all the negative thoughts are only doing him more damage. Rather than it being about a partner and failed romantic relationship, it's about my old label and the failed professional relationship. I was done with the industry, wanted to curl up and just give up and I wasted a good chunk of my time being filled with hate."

"I arranged and recorded a rough demo in my room on my guitars. I sent a few memos and variations of the song to Pesky, telling them that I would like for someone else to work with me on this to help expand on the track and take it places that really capture the essence of the song and captivate the listener. I wanted them to be swept away and feel like they had the wind rushing through their hair while listening. With just the acoustic guitars, I felt like it wasn't hitting that spot. It was cheery but not euphoric. Bilal got into contact with Toby Gad and I was unsure of how it would sound at first. I felt like the requirements of electronic pop meets folk were a little far-fetched and even though I could hear it in my head, I wasn't sure if anyone else would be able to nail it and understand what it was that I longed for. Fortunately, Toby executed it perfectly. It really is one big burst of energy and the way he put a lot of emphasis on the "hey!"s, which were originally just a random ad-lib, truly helped to give it this soaring, anthem feel to it. I have no idea how he managed to do it, but I feel like this song could work in the clubs just as easily as it could on adult contemporary radio...minus the swears!

Sunglasses at night, wearing them to hide the bloodshot sadness
Plans gone awry, so red eyed, ain't you tired of them asking why?
Time to get out of your head, wrap up in a new kind of madness
The ones you trusted were so sly and our leaders don't even qualify
It's time to pretend, paint a brighter picture upon a blank canvas

I know it's such a beautiful view but come down from the ledge
Tired of living at breaking point? Take my hand and try something new
If it's still too heavy, I got a spell to help take off the edge
Living off my own batch, don't you know I'm bluffing through life too?
Blissful ignorance is the way forward, are you taking the pledge?

You got hurt, you got hurt, you're not the first
I'm here for the rock and the roll, best and worst
Life's a twisted game, everybody has their turn
Run with the pain and let that motherfucker burn

Oh, hey, hey!
Now we're faking on top of the world, nothing is gonna bring us down
Headphones on, don't say it now, turn it up and distort the sound
You can break down tomorrow but I got you for right now
We can cover it up if you're brokenhearted, rip it out or we'll restart it
Faking on top of the world, lying through our teeth 'til the comedown
We're gonna be, be, be, be
Faking on top of the world

Time is slipping through our fingers, no room for hesitation
I'll show you that there's so much more to life than this
You're already under the spotlight, so don't care 'bout reputation
You wanna feel brand new, so trust me and you might just get that wish
Drop the top and let some new light shine on this situation

You got hurt, you got hurt, you're not the first
I'm here for the rock and the roll, best and worst
Life's a twisted game, everybody has their turn
Run with the pain and let that motherfucker burn

Oh, hey, hey!

One million x's and o's are lighting up the dark
Don't go turning them into little question marks
You survived the worst, no need to fear the sharks
More beauty in the sea, won't have to look far

Oh, hey, hey!

Oh, hey, hey!

One million x's and o's are lighting up the dark
Don't go turning them into little question marks

Can Be Compared To:

UserPostedImage

thanks 8 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 04/05/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 04/05/2017(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 05/05/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 06/05/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 07/05/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/05/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 21/05/2017(UTC), kandii on 04/06/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#9 Posted : 05 May 2017 12:34:01(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

//

UserPostedImage

Title: Ticking On It
Length: 4:05
Genre(s): Synthpop, Pop, Electronic Pop
Written By: J.Grimmie, C.Hudson
Produced By: The Wolverines

Ticking On It is a song by American singer-songwriter Joshua Grimmie. It is the eight track coming from Grimmie's long-awaited debut studio album, "PORCELAINHEART". The track follows on from the breezy, uplifting guitar-driven anthem "Faking On Top Of The World". Returning to the more sombre tones heard previously on the album on such tracks like "Porcelain Heart" and "Borrowed Scars", the mid-tempo song dabbles with smooth, minimalist, nocturnal sounds within the urban realm while combining the catchy hooks and earworm production skitters associated with electronic music and synthpop. Despite having rather violent and aggressive sounding lyrics, Ticking On It, is delivered in a soft, tender manner. Joshua shows off yet another side of his voice, further proving naysayers wrong about his versatility. His rough, gritty and deep vocals are nowhere to be heard as they've been swapped for a lulling, breathy and fluttery falsetto. The record was written in mid-2016 with Christopher Hudson, famed for being 1/4 of The Stat Nerds and also a critically acclaimed songwriter. Feeling some pressure from his label to create a "big pop moment" that would fit in easily on streaming playlists, Grimmie knew that Hudson was the right person to turn to. Wanting to remain true to his roots as an artist, the pair worked hard and compromised to create the perfect concoction of Joshua's personality and serviceable pop music. The song was one of three not to be performed at Grimmie's Unapologetic Tour which began on April 1st 2017. Believing that this would either be a future single or fan favourite, he decided against an early premiere to avoid the possibility of fans growing tired quickly. It was released alongside the album on May 4th 2017.

Production of the song came from none other than The Wolverines, a staple in pop music of the last five years. Grimmie was initially reluctant to work with them as well as others outside of the acoustic pop genre but after some persuasion from his manager, Bilal Holmes, Joshua was more open to work with acts from different musical backgrounds. Ticking On It was one of two songs he approached the duo with. When he discovered that he was going to be having a session with the producers, Grimmie knew that "Ticking On It" was one of the songs that he wanted them to look at. Chasing that pop sound, there was nobody more qualified for the job than The Wolverines. With a melody already somewhat formed with thanks to Christopher Hudson, the duo worked on it simultaneously alongside Porcelain Heart, the other track Grimmie had brought to them. Using the other track for a rough outline and inspiration, alongside encouragement from Joshua, The Wolverines started to shape a silky modern R&B inspired track, gently drizzled with the essence of addictive electronic music. Aided with light, almost faux dubstep beats and slightly distorted, breathy vocals, Ticking On It manages to capture the feel of a melodic, space-like and psychedelic track.

Lyrically, the song tells the story of a couple who are seemingly no good for one another both mentally and physically but they enjoy the pain and all the excitement that the volatile relationship brings their way. Rather than being a one-sided story and sounding more lighthearted about the situation like the track "Vital Signs", the song documents a more tragic and sinister tale. The aforementioned album track could be written as one big metaphor for his partner's overpowering, addictive and abrasive love but "Ticking On It" is far more explicit in its lyrical approach. The relationship clearly involves emotional manipulation and physical altercations - "...still picking the broken glass from my skin". The couple constantly tease and taunt one another throughout the course of the song and it's evident that they break-up just to enjoy the make-up. It is a tiring game but neither one of them wish to quit as it is addictive and they have never felt so alive - "Why do we keep living and riding on a time bomb?/There could be something better for us all along/But when it feels this good, how can it be so wrong?". A theme throughout the song, mainly the chorus, is time. Joshua uses many time related words in order to show how long it's been going on and just how constant it is, hence the title of the song. Ticking On It is probably one of the most explicit songs on the album, dropping cuss words and referring to sexual activity: "You fuck with my mind and I'm the bastard who broke you in" - as well as some double entendre: "Making me feel like I'm no good with the way that you spit/And when my tongue's on rapid fire, you never want me to quit"

Joshua Says
Quote:
"Ticking On It is a song that I've been desperate for everyone to hear for the longest time. Like I've said before, I'm a real storyteller and this one was based on a couple who attended my school. They were in the same year as me, actually. So no, this song isn't based on a personal situation, just one I observed...and read about on Facebook all the time. They have been in "love" since like middle school and they were just infamous. They were the first real, official couple the year had and I have no idea how they lasted so long because all they ever did was fight. Publicly. They are still together now, I'm sure. There would always be drama and everyone in our year would be divided into her team and his team. I'm not going to name them. It was like a free soap opera. I know a lot of people will immediately think that the guy was the asshole but, in all honesty, those two were just as bad as one another. I kept looking at them and wondering what the hell was keeping them together. When they were happy, it was the sweetest picture ever but when they were at war...man, it was lethal. I didn't think that the constant fighting, stressing and crying was worth it. Like, call it a damn day and go enjoy life. This song was a way of me getting into their mindset and trying to understand what it was that kept them together."

"I co-wrote the song with Christopher Hudson, who I had been put into contact with via my management. They had told me a few weeks prior that they wanted me to come up with something that sounds a little more serviceable to pop stations and all these streaming platforms. I'm always up for a challenge but I'm never going to just abandon who I am as an artist and cash-in on a total generic bop. I felt that, having a session booked with Christopher, he'd be the right person to help me come up with what was required and it also be of substance. He's a terrific artist himself and the songs he has written for others have been just as in-depth as they are catchy. It's never anything faceless with him. I told him the story that I had in mind for the song and he was hooked but he said it's a little too heavy for something really pop. In order for it to be more palatable and catchy, he said that we needed a recurring theme. Something that repeats or coincides that sticks in the mind. We continued discussing the couple I was writing about and I said to him something along the lines of "All eyes would be on them every lunchtime, like clockwork." and his eyes lit up. Clockwork. That is our basis. We started to throw time related words around and decided to emphasise on just how long this disastrous relationship has been going on and the repetitiveness of it all. The rhyming, the playful nature of all the metaphors as well as that catchy little "tick-tick-tick-tick" really helped sway the song from disturbing, downbeat territory into something far more enjoyable and easier to swallow."

"Working with The Wolverines was a wonderful experience. We didn't always see eye to eye but I have a lot of respect for them. I knew that they were the guys for the job. Christopher and I had created such a wonderful melody and we needed professional, the best of the best, to do it justice. These guys have the Midas touch when it comes to pop songs. They started to work on Porcelain Heart first and once they got going with that, it really inspired the beginnings of Ticking On It. I had a really strong melody but no instrumentation and I found it hard to conjure up possibilities in my head, so when they presented me with this almost outer space sounding, slinky, slick, nocturnal feeling track I was taken aback as I would have never thought of that. They got me to re-record the song and was told to make my vocals more relaxed and breathy to coincide with the silky instrumentation. It's a side of my voice that I hadn't really used before but I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. It definitely fits in with the album but it stands out in a major way. I think that is the beauty behind it and what makes the song one of the key parts of PORCELAINHEART. Lyrically, I felt like I couldn't hold back when talking about a subject as intense as this. I feel like the positioning of the song is just perfect, sitting at track number 8 for many reason. It follows on after the closing of the heavily stringed middle section of the album and as it's a rather smooth-sounding song, it makes for a great transition back into the more electronic influenced stuff again. Very easy on the ears. Also, it slowly starts a trend of more brutal and Rated R lyrics which is spread across the final three tracks. Track 9 is rather sexually suggestive and the closing song is just fucking raw and personal as can be, so I think that Ticking On It is a nice stepping stone towards those."

Tick, tick, tick, tick
Tick, tick, tick

It's getting harder to breathe, you're tainting the oxygen
Easier to leave but there's no high like letting you win
I'm no saint either, still picking the broken glass from my skin
Gripping onto the reaper, tempting fate down in the deep end
You help me drift in a trance as we bathe away in our sins
You fuck with my mind and I'm the bastard who broke you in

There's really no point running from a speeding bullet
Leave you succumbed and begging, that's the way that we do it
Making me feel like I'm no good with the way that you spit
And when my tongue's on rapid fire, you never want me to quit
Living a game of cat and mouse, always trying to outwit
Keep me on my toes, making nights that I won't ever forget

I am tired, I am growing weaker with every waking moment
I am battered, used to be ten now it's twenty I'm smoking
But I feel more alive with every breath that is stolen
I'm going down in the ring against my favorite opponent

Close my eyes and count to ten, the roses all fade to black
Stroke of midnight, our fairytale slips through the cracks
Say another Mississippi and you bring it all right back
Tip the hourglass and start the countdown to the next attack
This tale's as old as time, loops around from dusk 'til dawn
And I just keep tick-tick-tick-tick ticking on

We can be picture perfect, straight out of a movie scene
And within the space of seconds we hurl into this tragedy
It's a waiting game, who'll be first to burst at the seams?
You keep on building me up as I overdose on your caffeine
We aren't scared of the sirens, it's the same old routine
Means we're having much more fun when the two of us scream

I am tired, I am growing weaker with every waking moment
I am battered, used to be ten now it's twenty I'm smoking
But I feel more alive with every breath that is stolen
I'm going down in the ring against my favorite opponent

I'm madly loving every moment, praying we could stop the clocks
You're waiting for a sparkling apology hidden in that velvet box
Raise me up like a king then hit me over like building blocks
Have you all on edge then butter it up with the sweetest talk
Why do we keep living and riding on a time bomb?
There could be something better for us all along
But when it feels this good, how can it be so wrong?
We just keep tick-tick-tick-tick ticking on

Tick, tick, tick, tick
Tick, tick, tick

Can Be Compared To:

UserPostedImage

JohnnyBBB on 05/05/2017(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 05/05/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 06/05/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 06/05/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 06/05/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 07/05/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/05/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 21/05/2017(UTC), kandii on 04/06/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#10 Posted : 05 May 2017 14:20:16(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

//

UserPostedImage

Title: Caramel Dreams
Length: 4:24
Genre(s): Electronic Pop, Pop, Synthpop
Produced By: LosOscuros

Caramel Dreams is a song by American singer-songwriter Joshua Grimmie. It is the ninth track coming from Grimmie's long-awaited debut studio album "PORCELAINHEART". The track follows on from the Christopher Hudson co-penned big pop number "Ticking On It", which seen the album return to its electronic and urban influences after a run of guitar-driven tracks in the centre of the album. Caramel Dreams is arguably the most electronic and synthpop song on the record, straying far from the sounds heard on the likes of Vital Signs and Prayer. The track is restrained with it's sparse beats, sounding somewhat like an underwater bassline and is only aided by light piano chords and a gloomy violin. Joshua's vocals hang almost alone against the dark, bare beat and shine with a slight echo and distortion on them. Caramel Dreams was the very last song to be created and included on the album. A track list for PORCELAINHEART was created and handed in to the label, however, Pesky felt that some of the tracks needed to be omitted as they were not up to standards. This meant that Joshua had to record new material in an attempt to impress his team and try out something new. The track was not formed and finalised until the first week of March 2017. The song was one of three not to be performed at Grimmie's Unapologetic Tour which began on April 1st 2017. It was omitted from the set list as it was the last track to be finished for the album and Grimmie was still in the process of tweaking the mixes while the tour began. Also, due to its sexual nature, Joshua was still not confident enough to perform such a track in a rather intimate setting. It was released alongside the album on May 4th 2017.

Production of the song came from in-house Pesky production team LosOscuros. Joshua was initially set to work with The Wolverines yet again, hoping to create another track along the lines of Porcelain Heart and Ticking On It, which seemed to be firm favourites back at his record label. Unfortunately, they did not work together again due to a conflict in their schedules. He eventually turned to LosOscuros after some hesitation. Being friends with the production team, Grimmie was "embarrassed" about letting them in on such a revealing and sexual track as he is usually very private in regards to topics like that. Having worked with them on Play Pretend before, Joshua knew that they had it in them to create a rather gritty sounding track but what he required was far from what they had achieved on the other song, which was heavily rock influenced. Going along with theme of caramel, "sticky dreams" and savouring every sweet moment within that fantasy, they began working on a deliciously dark and pulsating beat which slowly spreads itself out as the track builds up and gently oozes influences of different genres, from electronica to pop to hip-hop. The entire song juxtaposes Grimmie's sexual desires, invitations and supple vocals with an industrial soundscape of ominous, sinuous bass and a crackling hip-hop loop.

The song is by far the most sexually explicit that Joshua has ever written, recorded and released. While it may not be the most NSFW song that one will hear in their life, it certainly stands out among the rest of the album in regards to its graphic nature. Caramel Dreams describes how Joshua fantasises over a potential love interest who is sadly in a committed relationship and is not willing to end it just to be with him, despite there being an obvious attraction and connection between the two. Rather than getting in the way of a serious relationship and hurting someone who is undeserving, Joshua saves all of his wild fantasies for his dreams. The idea of the song is loosely based on his boyfriend Johnny Carter, although the story has been manipulated so that it is not so personal. The opening line "There are a million dreams of you playing out tonight" highlights the fact that this is about someone who is well known and longed for by many. The song plays on many metaphors and innuendos regarding confectionery, sex, eating and oral stimulation. "Saccharine sweats as you start to push a little deeper" is a line which clearly suggests that he is fantasising about penetrative sex, without being direct about it. Many of these double entendres fill the song and the only time where sexual intercourse is explicitly implied is in the bridge of the song - "I wish you'd make love to me, fuck with me". While it is genuinely assumed that the song is all about a general sexual fantasy, many listeners believe that it is far more specific and that Grimmie is referring to being ejaculated on. "Feels like I'm bathing in the land of your milk and honey", "A wave of sugar has never tasted quite as sweet/Wash all over me as I get lost in these caramel dreams". "...making it all whipped and creamy" and "Magnificent fountain of flavors..." are all lines within the song that back this theory up.

Joshua Says
Quote:
"Caramel Dreams, damn, what can I say? This really got a few people hot under the collar when I first played it to them and even I couldn't believe that I was saying half of the stuff on that song. It's not even like it's the most sexually explicit song out there. Far from it. I'm no CupcakKe or Janet Jackson, that's for sure. I just felt that if my album was going to explore really heightened human emotions, experiences and feelings that we try to hide behind closed doors like self-hate, fear of being alone, pain, confusion, then I need to talk about lust and sex. It's human nature, really. I can't sing about our wants and needs and not talk about between the sheets. That kinda rhymes. Anyway, I don't wish to overshare, but it's probably known to most of my fans that I've only had sexual relations with one person and that just so happens to be the guy I'm still with right now, Johnny. I'm talking about the REAL thing, not random experimenting. The thing is, it was hard for me to write a song about lusting over someone when I'm not experiencing that. I'm very much in love and in a secure relationship. I started out writing the song like I was talking about someone I found insanely attractive and wanted a one night stand with but it came across as rather belittling, objectifying and I'm not about that...unlike some. I scrapped it as it was too forced and just not me at all. What I did was take a personal situation and twist it around. Johnny and I were friends for a good while before we started dated. I found him to be the most attractive man to walk the Earth but I was pretty sure that he only saw me as a friend while he went off and dated others. For a while I felt like we would never be a possibility and that inspired the idea of what would go on to become Caramel Dreams. I focused on distance and playing out a fantasy in my mind, knowing that it's all going to be over when I wake up. Rather than being straight-up smutty with it, I wanted it to sound somewhat magical, a lot of innuendo and it's all about thoughts and wishes rather than total fucking in a club or whatever is seen as erotic nowadays."

"I wrote the song myself as there was no way that I was letting anyone else get involved with a topic like this. I'm totally more open now but at the time I was rather shy. I know it's hard to think of me lost for words but being inexperienced at the time, the very mention of sex used to make me run for the hills. I knew that I had to push myself out of the comfort zone and enter new territory. If I wanted to be an open and honest artist, I couldn't leave a subject off the table. I think that being told to include something new on the album really gave me that push to dive into the deep end and really hit everyone at the label with something unexpected. Me being me though, I couldn't just let it be a total sexy song. For the most part, it is very alluring and seductive in its lyrics but it really is about me yearning after someone who is already taken...and that won't keep you on the nice list. In the song I talk about how I'm so much better than the person that they are with and that it's upsetting that they know this but won't do anything about it as they're committed. I make the best of it and enjoy their presence but don't do anything in the flesh, saving all my wild fantasies for my dreams. I didn't want it to be a cheaters anthem or anything like that so I made sure to give the story a little twist."

"I was actually due to work with The Wolverines again after I had worked on the acoustic demo. I loved the pulsating vibe that they gave to Ticking On It and Porcelain Heart and I wanted it to be replicated on this one too. Unfortunately, there was a clash in schedules and it didn't come to fruition. I was going back and forth over who should produce the song and I kept thinking about LosOscuros. They are good friends of mine, being in-house producers at the label and we had a great time working on Play Pretend. I was just a little self conscious about approaching them with such a sexual song as they are friends of mine. I don't know, I thought it would be weird walking into the studio and being like, "Hey guys, you mind working on this track where I sing about having a really erotic dream and getting carried away while I lay in bed?". Odd. Eventually I plucked up the courage and they were real cool about it. In fact, they praised my confidence and decision to go ahead with something considered so bold for someone like me. I told them that I wanted this one to fit in alongside The Wolverines' tracks. Being a rather sensual song, I wanted it to be slow, moody, mysterious and like it was recorded in the dark. Referring to things like caramel and honey...real sticky, thick substances, I felt like the song needed a rather sparse beat, almost sonically desolate in parts to represent the feel of extremely slow, oozing caramel. Really taking its time to work up and you just appreciate the beauty of it as it drips along. Adding in the deep, cutting violins and emphasising the reverb on my vocals also gave the song this real chilliness, which I think perfectly embodies the image of someone laying alone in bed at night, thinking of someone else across the city who they will never be with. All in all, I feel like the guys really outdone themselves. It's nothing like they've ever produced before and it's certainly nothing like I've ever written before. For a first stab at something like this, I think we did pretty well!"

There are a million dreams of you playing out tonight
Somehow I feel like you only belong deep inside mine
Can't get you off my mind, imprinting kisses on my body
If I call out too much at night, I'll pretend to be sorry
Wrapped up in black satin sheets, caught in a feeling
Forgetting all about reality, dreaming is believing

I can only get you alone when it's all in my head
You're across the city, laying in someone else's bed
They're your world champion and I can never compete
I play out fantasies where I fall down to your feet
So burnt out but I'm always drawn in by your flame
It's pretty fucked up...but I know you feel the same

Hand on the back of my neck, the other resting on my knee
We move closer everyday but only connect as we sleep
Not the one that you want but I have all you that need

Waking up in another hot and sticky midnight fever
Saccharine sweats as you start to push a little deeper
Feels like I'm bathing in the land of your milk and honey
Skin kissed by your rays, making my days forever sunny
A wave of sugar has never tasted quite as sweet
Wash all over me as I get lost in these caramel dreams
Where they stick to your heart, that's where I wanna be

Seems like we can only work out in a different universe
Not sure if your presence is now a blessing or a curse
When I close my eyes, it's the only time you really see me
And it's a new form of Heaven, making it all whipped and creamy
Wishing it was true as we seem to really be quite something
Magnificent fountain of flavors that always keep me coming

Hand on the back of my neck, the other pulling at my jeans
We grow wilder everyday but only explode as we sleep
They might be who you want but I can give you what you need

Know that I could be your ride or die
Here for the fight, forget about flight
I wish you'd make love to me, fuck with me
Yeah they're sweet but I go down a real treat
Oh, that's where I wanna be

Can Be Compared To:

UserPostedImage

JohnnyBBB on 05/05/2017(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 05/05/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 06/05/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 06/05/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 06/05/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 07/05/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/05/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 21/05/2017(UTC), kandii on 04/06/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#11 Posted : 06 May 2017 04:29:17(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

//

UserPostedImage

Title: Breathe Fire
Length: 3:15
Genre(s): Electronic, Pop, Acoustic Pop
Written By: J.Grimmie, C.Hudson
Produced By: Joshua Grimmie, MakeAScene

Breathe Fire is a song by American singer-songwriter Joshua Grimmie. It is the tenth and final track coming from Grimmie's long-awaited debut studio album "PORCELAINHEART". The track follows on from the seductive LosOscuros produced "Caramel Dreams", which showcased a far more sexual side to Joshua and his music, also delving further into his experimentation with electronic music. "Breathe Fire" takes on the form of a mid-tempo pop ballad and incorporates multiple genres and singing styles, making it a rather unique and standout song in itself. Dipping in and out of the realms of R&B, electronica and acoustic pop, the closing track is rather hard to define and pinpoint, seen more as an amalgamation of all the best parts heard on the record beforehand. The vocal performance on Breathe Fire has also been highlighted as a standout among his discography as it showcases his versatility in many ways. From soft, caressing whisper-like coos in the verses to husky, chain smoker growls in the chorus and then rounded off by light near-rapping in the showstopping bridge, the song is constantly switching. The intensely personal song was mainly thrown onto paper by Grimmie, airing his scattered thoughts as he was enduring a very difficult period in his life. He knew that he wished to write a song, channelling his frustration and unresolved issues but couldn't quite find the perfect formula for the words he wished to say. Joshua contacted Christopher Hudson, who he had worked with on "Ticking On It" just a few months prior, and the pair completed the song. It was written and recorded in late January 2017, making it one of the last songs for the project. The song was first premiered during a live acoustic performance on April 1st 2017 on the opening night of Grimmie's Unapologetic Tour. The official studio version was premiered on May 5th 2017 along with the album.

The song's production was handled by acclaimed duo MakeAScene, who are exclusively signed to Five Pesky Kids Records. They had previously worked with Grimmie a few months prior to this second meeting, where they produced the song Borrowed Scars which went on to make the final cut of the album. With a lot riding on this track, being the most personal and the closer of the record, Joshua knew that MakeAScene would be right for the job. Experienced in quirky, left-field indie pop and wacky requests and collaborations, the duo seemed more than qualified to tackle Breathe Fire, which Joshua had wild ideas for. While the final outcome of the song itself sounds rather placid, the planning and engineering behind it was rather complex due to all the sounds he wished to incorporate and how intricate everything had to be. With very raw lyrical content, Joshua did not want his vocals to be drowned out as his words and different deliveries would be the heart and soul of the song. He required production that was somehow subtle yet multi-layered and interesting, straying far from the typical downbeat production heard on your standard closing ballad. Drawing inspiration from the album opener "Don't Let It Go To Your Head" which combined dreamy strings as well as adrenaline rushing computer generated beats, Joshua wanted to replicate those mixture of sounds while focusing on a more sombre tone this time around. He believed that the opening and closing tracks should contain a common theme. All of Joshua's rough demos are performed on his acoustic guitar and, without realising it, he had already created the chords that would go on to be used in the final edit despite thinking of them are rather bare. The final version of "Breathe Fire" contains a soothing plucking of an acoustic guitar which is woven throughout the track, a staple in Grimmie's music and somewhat the bed and groundwork which allows the rest of the song's elements to grow and flutter over. Combined with electrically glitching, layered vocal ticks and edits alongside a repetitive, ear-worm drum roll and faint calls of police sirens drowning in the background, "Breathe Fire" is a magnificent brew of quirky production that acts as the perfect partner to the distressing lyricism.

Lyrically, Breathe Fire is by far Joshua's most personal song to date. He usually tells the stories he's witnessed but not necessarily experienced or been part of himself, making this closing track extremely special and close to his heart. Joshua opens up to his fans and any listener in regards to how he sees and feels about himself for the first time. Grimmie is known for being an extremely divisive and polarising figure within the industry, due to his political activism, blunt opinions and his generally forthright nature. In this song, we see that it is not just fans and music critics who grow tired of his ways, but it also has an impact on those he loves and even himself. It further proves that Grimmie's frank and plain-spoken approach is not a gimmick or ploy to appeal to certain demographics. He confesses that he hates the way his mind works and that he wishes his natural instincts were different. Joshua's intentions are always good but his actions may not translate that and be received the way that he intended due to his rather abrasive nature. The opening lines "Try to look through new eyes but I guess my judgement's still clouded /'Cause whatever my response is, the crowd are always left astounded" tell us that no matter how Joshua approaches a situation, he always receives an overwhelmingly negative response and that it is a regular occurrence for him. "Breathe Fire" also sees Joshua document the impact his actions have on his partner, yet they are so quick and willing to overlook it. They love him for his flaws and all but he cannot understand why as he fails to even love himself. "When you hear the thunder, you know that I'm out on the horizon/It doesn't scare you, so used to being struck with my lightning" is an example of how dedicated and immersed in the situation his partner is. A heavy theme throughout sees Joshua compare himself to a fire breathing dragon, hence the title. No matter how nice, quiet and reserved he is, he naturally "breathes fire" and hurts people regardless. This is a metaphor for his ability to offend and upset people unintentionally and that he sees himself as naturally destructive; "But just when things have been such bliss for a while/The dragon awakes and I go ahead and breathe fire". The partially rapped bridge in the song serves as a conversation with "the man in the mirror" as Joshua calls himself out for his behaviour and attitude but it begins to delve a little deeper as it progresses. He starts to piece together the reasons behind his outlook on life and it somewhat suggests that being raised in a religious household that did not provide sufficient answers is one of the reasons why he's constantly questioning the world and so quick to defend those who are lambasted by segments of extreme religions - "This child of God is raising hell and it's out of frustration/Realized it was the cross around my neck cutting the circulation". It seems that by the end of this section, Grimmie is starting to come to terms with who he is and that it will be impossible for him to change not only his entire personality, but his morals and beliefs will forever remain intact too. It's not an easy road but he'd rather stay true to himself than fake it to please others. He signs off the bridge with the line "Write the words upon my grave so that they're never forgotten", meaning that even in death, his messages will still live on.

Joshua Says:
Quote:
"This song is the most important one that I have ever penned. I'm used to documenting the lives of others and putting my own spin on personal stories but I rarely go real deep and raw in regards to writing about my life. I think a huge part of that is solely down to my young age. I'm 19 and although I've experience a lot of emotions over the years and been in some shitty situations, I don't feel like I've lived enough to really talk about "life changing" or "heart shattering" experiences but there is one subject that haunts me and really impacts my life. I know I come across as a strong person but for the longest time...I've...hated myself. I still struggle with that today and I'm getting better but it still crops up from time to time. I was raised to be a good, loving person. Told to stand up for what is right and to help out others in need. I try my best to do that and be a voice for the unheard. For some reason, however, I'm always attacked no matter what I do. I'm either doing too much, too little or I'm just not good enough. I know that it's all down to how I present myself. I am fiery,
passionate, intense and probably over zealous at times. I just care a lot and want to do good in this fucked up world but when it's thrown back in your face and you're constantly told to shut up every single day, it takes its toll on you. I rarely let the comments from assholes on the internet get to me but sometimes I'm just caught in a moment and I see just one tweet, it doesn't have to be anything that shocking, but it sets me back and I go to an extreme. I either go into hiding for a bit and hate myself or lash out and make things worse. You know,
when people give you advice on how to get by in situations in life, one of the most common things that they say is "just be yourself". That is exactly what I'm doing and it doesn't go down well. It's not just within the industry, but among my family and associates too. I like to think that I have a good heart and good intentions but I just..get shot down. When being yourself is not enough, what the fuck do you do from there?"

"I haven't told many people this but around Christmastime last year, just 5 months ago, I...I..attempted to...to take my own life, basically. It was nothing to do with Twitter trolls but it was the realization that I can't change who I am. I can't swap my brain. I can't fake the rest of this lifetime. I'm stuck and I want out. I had some counselling after that and it kicked off a very slow process of acceptance. That's why this song was so important for me to write. It could seem like it's all self pity but it's really one big release for me and documenting a very dark yet enlightening period of my life. I have to get it off my chest and out there in order to fully move on from it. It's the most insightful song I've ever written and the reason it sits at the end of the album is because the next album will document where things went from there and how my life is right now. This only happened a few months ago and it's a chapter that came to an end but is pivotal in the creation of the next one."

"I brainstormed ideas onto a piece of paper, aggressively scribbling words and thoughts down onto the page with no real structure. It was just like one big vent and a total brain dump before I forgot what I wanted to say. I knew that I had to write about this significant period of my life in order to fully overcome it and REALLY allow my fans to connect with me not only as an artist but as a human being. I just didn't know how to formulate it. I had the ideas and multiple phrases and lines, but I couldn't cut it down and turn it into a song with a melody. It was just like a huge rant and a highly emotional teenage diary entry. I took the song to Christopher Hudson, feeling like he was the only artist I could go to in confidence and also feel like he wouldn't try to manipulate my work and take away the real essence of it. He has a talent for making multilayered, in-depth music that is still so melodically beautiful and catchy. He really puts the artists' lives and personality into the work. I had only met with Christopher a handful of times before going to him with these words. I felt comfortable with him, though. He too is a rather intense guy and I feel like he also related to a lot of the lyrics. He really invested his time and made sure that we crafted these lyrics as finely as possible. Christopher knew how much it meant to me and he could really see me struggling, so he called off the rest of his work for the day and we just had one big session. We hung out at his place, talked about everything and anything, had some food, just chilled and that helped ease the pressure. He was getting me to open up throughout the day and I had no clue that he was analyzing me the entire time, trying to really capture my essence, the way I articulate and present myself so he could translate it into the song. We'd take long breaks in between the writing so not to lose our heads. It was so refreshing and like free therapy. Just writing it down, sharing it with him and hearing him sing it back felt like a weight was lifted. I was finally telling my story."

"As this was a very heavy song in regards to its lyrics, I wanted production that would compliment it but not overpower. The multiple singing styles on the track alone already make it a real oddity among pop songs and to add "quirky" production could've been overkill but I knew that what I was aiming for would work...but it'd have to be done just right. If it was too left-field, I feared that the zany sounds would become overwrought and overshadow the entire meaning of the song and if it were too glum, it would wash out the lyrics and make it seem more dreary and soggy. I didn't want to end the album on a typical ballad. I brought in MakeAScene once again because they are experts in this unconventional music landscape. By that time, they had released their debut single "Give Me Something" with Oscar and I was really inspired by that one. It's totally frantic and peculiar but not overdone, letting the vocal track breathe and do its own thing. That is what I wanted for Breathe Fire. I had already handed them a basic demo with the guitar and the rough melody that Christopher and I had formed. I was shocked to hear them say that they loved the arrangements on the guitar. That was just whipped up on the spot so I'd have at least something backing the vocals and it was not that inventive. They told me it was perfect to build on. I wanted acoustic guitars in there anyway as I wished for the song to contain almost all of the sounds heard on the album. "Don't Let It Go To Your Head", the first track perfectly combines the strings, the electronic beats and the light urban flavor, so I wanted "Breathe Fire" to do the same and have both songs act like bookends, with the more concentrated songs sandwiched in between. We re-recorded the strings in the studio and I thought it would be a good idea to have like a deliberate screech on the chords, coinciding with the idea of not being perfect and how you're expected to sound. We kept on building with the guitar and then they brought in a rather tinny drum roll which adds more of a meatier beat but doesn't overpower at all. It was like a tripping and trickling sound, sort of reminding me of water on tip roofs and I think it sat along beautifully with the mental images of a rebirth underwater, which I talk about in the bridge of the song. It was still lacking something that made it that little bit quirkier, though. We had the strings, we had the sparse beat but we lacked that electronic tinge which was present throughout a lot of the record. It was sounding great but lacked a uniqueness. That's when I was told to go into the booth and record random ad-libs. It was awkward as hell standing in there, not knowing what I was doing, singing into a microphone with no music while two people watched. I was in there for like an hour just doing all different kinds of "hey!"s, "oh!"s, "yeah!"s and "ay!"s. I trusted that they knew what they were doing though. What they did was take my vocals, autotune them, chop them up, distort them and just layer them over one another. It created this weird yet magical glitching, malfunctioning sound and because of the melody I was singing it, the edits fit perfectly. We attached them to the front of the song, giving it an extended opening as well as at the end and blending it into the mix throughout the entire track. The final addition was suggested by me. A police siren. Why not? I thought that it was really represent the idea of an emergency and hopelessness. When I listen to the track, I get the mental image of a guy out in the wilderness on his own just running away from everything and trying to find a lake to wash himself clean in. He is alone, thinks he has nobody but help is there. He just doesn't want to acknowledge it...a bit like I did. The muffled sirens show that help is on its way but it may be too far out to help before it's too late."

Oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, eh, oh
Oh, oh, ay, oh, oh, eh oh
Oh, oh, ay, oh, oh, eh oh

Try to look through new eyes but I guess my judgement's still clouded
'Cause whatever my response is, the crowd are always left astounded
If there's something on this overworked mind, I should throw the key
But the deadly bark and the bite are forever begging to be set free
You try your best to soothe when this heart is beating irregular
Bang, bang, I lose my head once again, always going for the jugular

I turn on my heels, back into the woods, I keep on running wild
Fleeing from it all but my terrors still loom way up in the sky
Why do you even bother to seek me out and help calm all my storms?
Don't let me in again, this wolf only leaves everything torn
When you hear the thunder, you know that I'm out on the horizon
It doesn't scare you, so used to being struck with my lightning

You tell me that it's all okay, that tomorrow is another day
Acting as if those wounds don't even sting
Tired eyes as it's been so long, knuckles white from holding on
I try to suppress the blaze that roars within

I'm so fucking hard to love but I swear, I'm getting better
Learning to put down the gloves, turn down the pressure
It always pains me to know that I go and hurt you so
Tame this volcano with your waves, so blue and bold
Close the door, stitch my lips, don't wanna make a sound
Medicate these thoughts, I'll try to turn it back around
But just when things have been such bliss for a while
The dragon awakes and I go ahead and breathe fire
I breathe fi-i-ire, I breathe fire

A rainbow shines new light but as I reach out, it suddenly fades
My touch must be tainted, much better off all bound and chained
When I step to the microphone, they're already sounding the horns
When I pick your favorite roses, I go and get blood over the thorns
Constantly at war, why do you want to make peace time and time again?
Always fearing you'll drop the bomb of "I think we should just be friends"

You tell me that it's all okay, that tomorrow is another day
Acting as if those wounds don't even sting
Tired eyes as it's been so long, knuckles white from holding on
I try to suppress the blaze that roars within

I must take a deep breath and think before I speak
All the chambers of my heart have conflicting rapid beats
Is it venom or passion that's running through these veins?
Whatever the substance, it's driving everyone fucking insane
With a simple little breath, I create another predicament
Pounce on the next victim and start snapping ligaments
All that I want to do is help the world with my visions
I fall at the last hurdle, hit the wrong button, call that Clinton
Head under water, try to put out these fiery lungs
The colder the shoulder helps this mind to finally numb
Rebirth in the rivers, I was in search of something spiritual
But now I'm kicking out and choking on the umbilical
This child of God is raising hell and it's out of frustration
Realized it was the cross around my neck cutting the circulation
Faith just can't help this and no army is ever gonna stop it
Will never fly like a peaceful dove, born to soar like a rocket
I try my hardest but you can never please everyone who's watching
Write the words upon my grave so that they're never forgotten

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 8 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 06/05/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 06/05/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 06/05/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 06/05/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 07/05/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/05/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 21/05/2017(UTC), kandii on 04/06/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#12 Posted : 06 May 2017 12:38:52(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

//

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 7 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 06/05/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 06/05/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 06/05/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 06/05/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 07/05/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/05/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 21/05/2017(UTC)
Offline JohnnyBBB  
#13 Posted : 06 May 2017 18:53:48(UTC)
JohnnyBBB

Groups: Registered
Man
Greece

Was thanked: 1727 time(s) in 443 post(s)
Johnny Carter: WOW! Just wow! I know that it was a long journey and tha you went through a lot but in my opinion it was for the better! I mean, baby, look what at what you released! A masterpiece! You know I'll always support, love and be honest with you! And this album right here is phenomenal! I love that you opened up and shared a big part of you and your experiences! This album has a song for every mood and every situation! The production and lyrics area amazing! No filers here baby, a cohesive body of work! I loved the positive message on "Faking On Top Of The World", it's a song that will help a lot of people get through a hard time! About "Caramel Dreams"..., well baby I love it! I love this sound of you and can't wait to get home haha.. Now my favorites from the album are "Vital Signs", "Porcelain Heart" and "Breathe Fire". The last one is the most perfect song! Because you are you! You express yourself and the Joshua I know and love!
thanks 2 users thanked JohnnyBBB for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 07/05/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 08/05/2017(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#14 Posted : 07 May 2017 17:35:31(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
Elle-Rose Whiteley: Oh my god, this album is just so darn beautiful Joshua. There's meaning in every single track and it's one of those rare albums that you can listen to from start to finish and not want to skip any of the tracks. My two favourite songs are "Borrowed Scars", it's heartbreaking but I found it very relatable. And my other favourite track is "Vital Signs", I just thought it was very beautiful lyrically and I know I will be listening to that one in particular for years to come. Again, such a beautiful album, so many emotive themes and you say what you want to say so darn well. Great job!

OOC: Yeah, this was just brilliant. The detail put into the songs are insane but also the effort put into it with the graphic, the booklets, the artwork. Everything just seems so perfected and glossy, looks incredibly real and as you have for the longest time now. You just raised the bar again. Great work!
thanks 2 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 08/05/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 08/05/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#15 Posted : 21 May 2017 06:05:41(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: JohnnyBBB Go to Quoted Post
Johnny Carter: WOW! Just wow! I know that it was a long journey and tha you went through a lot but in my opinion it was for the better! I mean, baby, look what at what you released! A masterpiece! You know I'll always support, love and be honest with you! And this album right here is phenomenal! I love that you opened up and shared a big part of you and your experiences! This album has a song for every mood and every situation! The production and lyrics area amazing! No filers here baby, a cohesive body of work! I loved the positive message on "Faking On Top Of The World", it's a song that will help a lot of people get through a hard time! About "Caramel Dreams"..., well baby I love it! I love this sound of you and can't wait to get home haha.. Now my favorites from the album are "Vital Signs", "Porcelain Heart" and "Breathe Fire". The last one is the most perfect song! Because you are you! You express yourself and the Joshua I know and love!

Joshua: Thank you, baby boy! You know better than almost anyone just how much this record means to me. From trying to get it completed, to fussing over the songs I had, to finally releasing it out into the world after such a long time in limbo, you've been there with me. You've supported me when I needed it. You've encouraged me when I need it. You've also brought me back down to Earth when I got too caught up in things. This album, I don't think, would have been the record it is today had you not played your part. Thank you for your kind words. To hear such praise after the lengthy and sometimes testing process of creating PORCELAINHEART is heartwarming. Your favorite tracks are my favorite ones too! Maybe throw Ticking On It into the equation as well haha. Much love xx

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Elle-Rose Whiteley: Oh my god, this album is just so darn beautiful Joshua. There's meaning in every single track and it's one of those rare albums that you can listen to from start to finish and not want to skip any of the tracks. My two favourite songs are "Borrowed Scars", it's heartbreaking but I found it very relatable. And my other favourite track is "Vital Signs", I just thought it was very beautiful lyrically and I know I will be listening to that one in particular for years to come. Again, such a beautiful album, so many emotive themes and you say what you want to say so darn well. Great job!

OOC: Yeah, this was just brilliant. The detail put into the songs are insane but also the effort put into it with the graphic, the booklets, the artwork. Everything just seems so perfected and glossy, looks incredibly real and as you have for the longest time now. You just raised the bar again. Great work!

Joshua: Well, thank you very much Elle-Rose. The whole theme of the album was "intense and heightened emotions". From the fear of desertion to internal hatred to an explosion of love and desire, I wanted to touch on it all and show off the fragility of the human heart and mind. I'm glad that you found them rather emotive and related to some of them. I wanted a record that was totally "human" and tapped into our emotions. Lyrics are incredibly important to me. Everyone knows I have a lot to say, haha. I'm glad that you enjoy my words! Thank you for supporting the album.

OOC: First of all, I just want to thank you for checking out the album from start to finish. I know it was only ten tracks but I went a little overboard with the descriptions and all the packaging. Was a lot to wade through lol. Thank you so much for the lovely compliments. I really wanted to put a lot into this as not only do I love Joshua and think the character deserves a chance to shine after being quiet for ages, but it's also the first record I've released in like two years. Didn't want to half-ass anything haha. Again, thank you very much! :)

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
JohnnyBBB on 21/05/2017(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#16 Posted : 24 May 2017 12:15:11(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: Such a good job on this!! I love what you've done with Joshua, you really took the character and gave him a much needed revamp and realistic back-story. Aside from that, the effort put here on this album thread is excellent, the descriptions, background and lyrics all go hand and hand and is perfectly executed. Every song tells a story and I think that's what makes this work really stand out. Adding things like the booklet and stuff like that makes it more of a realistic read and continues to show all the effort you put into everything you do. Nice work! My favorite song is Caramel Dreams, but everything is really well done :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 25/05/2017(UTC)
Offline Atonic Records  
#17 Posted : 28 May 2017 14:00:40(UTC)
Atonic Records

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2278 time(s) in 613 post(s)
Medina: I admit, I didn't buy the album, I streamed it. Now that I got that off my chest, this is one of the best pop albums I heard so far this year. The singles, the tracks, everything has been perfect and you delivered it like never before. At first, I believed you were just another teen pop star that was big for a while and then would eventually die out. Now that I heard your album, I know for sure you're going to be around for a long time bud. I'm really proud of you, hopefully, we get to see more of you. I'm really liking this sound of yours, keep it up, love.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Atonic Records for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 29/05/2017(UTC)