logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gildermershina  
#21 Posted : 23 February 2010 22:10:58(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
TheCDs wrote:
It isn't that I don't care about them, it is about unequals being treated like unequals. Many people posting on this thread (yourself included) have argued that part of the problem is that people who are, for lack of a better way of saying it, not smart enough to vote shouldn't be allowed to vote. Right there you are acknowledging that people are not all equal. If I am smarter or have a unique or extremely valuable skill then I should not receive the same wage as a manual laborer.

The usual counter-argument is to bring up someone who was born into money as an example of someone who has done nothing yet has so much. At some point however, someone had to earn that wealth, and the government has no right to tell you what to do with your wealth. If I want to pass it down to my kid so he never has to work that is my choice.

I certainly think people with higher skills should have higher wages than those with lower skills. However, I do not agree that it should go unchecked. There seems to be a certain tipping point after which you start making more and more money, for doing less and less work. In fact, because of these ridiculous corporate structures, even if you do fuck up a company, cost people their jobs, and basically run them into the ground, you get to resign with an ENORMOUS severance. That's ridiculous.

As for whether doctors are more important than, say, builders... Try conducting spinal surgery in an open field.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#22 Posted : 24 February 2010 01:32:06(UTC)
forkboy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Excuse me while my brain melts at the idea that a healthy workforce that isn't raped with debts from paying medical bills (or alternatively simply doesn't go to a doctor while their teeth rot, their appendix explodes, whatever else) isn't an important part of the infrastructure of a nation.

I can't even argue against that point because it's so fucking STUPID. When the whole basis of your arguement boils down to "I DO NOT LIKE TO PAY TAXES WHY SHOULD I HELP OTHER PEOPLE ESPECIALLY THOSE WORSE OFF THAN ME IT IS PROBABLY THEIR FAULT ANYWAY" then you are a stupid, selfish cunt and frankly I think you should be deprived of oxygen, but not before having your genitalia fed to some rabid hyenas or something similar in front of your eyes.

I mean...fucking nora. The utter lack of empathy for other human beings is utterly astounding. This fuckwittery is why I'm drawn more and more into the idea of Nihilism. The sort of anarchism espoused by Bakunin and his followers, specifically the idea that one must destroy (by means of a violent revolution) the current system in order to topple it. And while I abhor violence I do wonder if it wouldn't just be better for everyone if someone just "accidentally" hit the big red button that means the beginning of nuclear armageddon so that earth can have the slate wiped clean and evolution can begin from scratch.

Yeah, if you can't tell, laissez faire capitalists really fuck me off, I mean genuine anger at the short-sighted selfish thinking primarily. But also: the idea that you should trust your government is idiotic, but the idea that you can trust business is just as dumb, if not even more fuckwitted. Much like any ideology capitalism sounds good on paper. However when you inject humans into the mix you end up with greedy selfish people exploiting resources. Not to mention treating HUMAN BEINGS as merely a resource.

Edited by user 24 February 2010 01:42:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Thorgrim  
#23 Posted : 24 February 2010 04:33:32(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

forkboy wrote:
Excuse me while my brain melts at the idea that a healthy workforce that isn't raped with debts from paying medical bills (or alternatively simply doesn't go to a doctor while their teeth rot, their appendix explodes, whatever else) isn't an important part of the infrastructure of a nation.

I can't even argue against that point because it's so fucking STUPID. When the whole basis of your arguement boils down to "I DO NOT LIKE TO PAY TAXES WHY SHOULD I HELP OTHER PEOPLE ESPECIALLY THOSE WORSE OFF THAN ME IT IS PROBABLY THEIR FAULT ANYWAY" then you are a stupid, selfish cunt and frankly I think you should be deprived of oxygen, but not before having your genitalia fed to some rabid hyenas or something similar in front of your eyes.

I mean...fucking nora. The utter lack of empathy for other human beings is utterly astounding. This fuckwittery is why I'm drawn more and more into the idea of Nihilism. The sort of anarchism espoused by Bakunin and his followers, specifically the idea that one must destroy (by means of a violent revolution) the current system in order to topple it. And while I abhor violence I do wonder if it wouldn't just be better for everyone if someone just "accidentally" hit the big red button that means the beginning of nuclear armageddon so that earth can have the slate wiped clean and evolution can begin from scratch.

Yeah, if you can't tell, laissez faire capitalists really fuck me off, I mean genuine anger at the short-sighted selfish thinking primarily. But also: the idea that you should trust your government is idiotic, but the idea that you can trust business is just as dumb, if not even more fuckwitted. Much like any ideology capitalism sounds good on paper. However when you inject humans into the mix you end up with greedy selfish people exploiting resources. Not to mention treating HUMAN BEINGS as merely a resource.

Easy feller... easy... it's only the interwebs.
Offline forkboy  
#24 Posted : 24 February 2010 04:52:06(UTC)
forkboy

Yes, it's a discussion on the internet. But I get this frustrated about this topic in any enviroment, among friends, among strangers, or on the internet. Stupidity is stupidty regardless of where it takes place.
Offline TheCDs  
#25 Posted : 24 February 2010 08:09:50(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
forkboy wrote:

The US has a population of around 300 million. Of those an estimated 46 million are uninsured and there are wide ranging estimates to how many are uninsured by choice (those that can afford health insurance but choose not to pay for it). Assuming that the uninsured by choice doesn't exist that still leaves a healthy, insured population of 254 million, more than enough to more than handle the country's production needs. Private industry has provided more than enough health care to handle the infrastructure needs of America.

You are making a value judgment because you believe everyone deserves health care, just like I am making a value judgment of my own. I didn't say your ideas or views were stupid and I was quite surprised that you said the same of mine as you are usually above that sort of thing. My argument is not about my dislike for paying taxes, in fact I said taxes are necessary so that the government can provide certain goods. My argument is that health care is an industry where government regulation and intervention will only worsen the losses and distortions that are already present. You view equality as the ultimate goal, and all resources should be allocated as such to achieve it. I believe that whichever allocation of resources creates the overall most beneficial and most efficient outcome is the ultimate goal.

Also, I don't necessarily trust business. It is just much easier to predict what a business will do since its motive is to maximize profits. Government motives range from politicians salaries and well being to the well being of the people and everything in between and they all conflict. I prefer to know that I can predict and extremely reasonable and likely outcome when given a set of changing conditions.

Edited by user 24 February 2010 08:12:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Aj  
#26 Posted : 24 February 2010 08:21:37(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
TheCDs wrote:
forkboy wrote:

The US has a population of around 300 million. Of those an estimated 46 million are uninsured and there are wide ranging estimates to how many are uninsured by choice (those that can afford health insurance but choose not to pay for it). Assuming that the uninsured by choice doesn't exist that still leaves a healthy, insured population of 254 million, more than enough to more than handle the country's production needs. Private industry has provided more than enough health care to handle the infrastructure needs of America.

You are making a value judgment because you believe everyone deserves health care, just like I am making a value judgment of my own. I didn't say your ideas or views were stupid and I was quite surprised that you said the same of mine as you are usually above that sort of thing. My argument is not about my dislike for paying taxes, in fact I said taxes are necessary so that the government can provide certain goods. My argument is that health care is an industry where government regulation and intervention will only worsen the losses and distortions that are already present. You view equality as the ultimate goal, and all resources should be allocated as such to achieve it. I believe that whichever allocation of resources creates the overall most beneficial and most efficient outcome is the ultimate goal.

Also, I don't necessarily trust business. It is just much easier to predict what a business will do since its motive is to maximize profits. Government motives range from politicians salaries and well being to the well being of the people and everything in between and they all conflict. I prefer to know that I can predict and extremely reasonable and likely outcome when given a set of changing conditions.

46 million is not a small number, in comparison to 300 million it's not massive but that still leaves nearly 1 in 6 without insurance, which is stupid and the UK is a prime example of how a National Healthcare service can work perfectly well. I mean yeah there's a few scares for 'super bugs' and there is stories of poor treatment, but you always have the option to go Private where you pretty much every time get what you pay for.

And I mean, sorry for butting in with the big boys here because I'm not entirely clued up on the US healthcare system and shit, but surely if you're paying insurance you may as well pay that little bit extra for the benefit of others?
Offline TheCDs  
#27 Posted : 24 February 2010 08:38:33(UTC)
TheCDs

Gildermershina wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
Health care should be privatized because government interference in a market causes more distortions and loss than if they let the market function on its on. Let's assume that there is a government insurance package that will cover minor surgeries. The government will then set a price on that surgery, most likely lower than the price dictated by the market, and then pay only that price to the doctor/hospital/etc. To make up for the lost revenue from the government distorting the market the hospital will began charging more for the same procedure to anyone not on the government insurance plan. It is completely unfair to force the people that are using private insurance or pay their own health care bills to also bear the burden of those on a government run plan.

I do not understand this argument at all. Under a government run system, the government is not out to make profit, therefore it can give MORE to the hospital than the private company would. Especially if it means more people have healthcare and are thus having procedures done that they could not otherwise afford. That seems like an increased number of patients therefore an increased profit. You're looking at from the point of view of it already being a market, and therefore trying to not upset that market - which is exactly the reason I dislike capitalism. Why should the market stay the same? The reason for healthcare reform is that the market has been deemed broken. People are denied healthcare because they are sick. Apparently that's okay for some folks because they already have insurance, so now they can cover their ears and close their eyes and not speak out because of some childish fear that their insurance might be taken away from them. Don't want to piss off the people who might save your life one day.

The government wouldn't be trying to compete with private companies, but would instead be providing basic healthcare to those who do not have health insurance. It wouldn't exist to undercut companies for reasons of profit, but for reasons of affordability, and they'd actually be able to regulate prices so that there is no loss of revenue for the hospital - UNLIKE one insurer undercutting another insurer. Seems to me that for the consumer, private companies would improve their coverage in order to provide a more comprehensive service and so they would still have a place. We have the NHS here, but we also have private healthcare like BUPA. Sure, millions of people will leave their insurance plans in favour of a government option if it turns out to be preferable, but so what? What's so fantastic about health insurance companies?

In fact, this whole thing seems to hinge on this anti-tax mindset that somehow giving more money to private companies for something is preferable to giving less money directly to the government. What's the difference? The government is in a position to provide basic services without seeking profit, would provide as many, if not more jobs, and would eliminate the burden on many people who can't get insurance because of pre-existing conditions. But instead, gotta protect "the market".

Government is not out to make a profit, that is correct. However, if government does have limited tax revenue and so its goal is to do the most amount of good with the finite amount of tax revenue it receives. If government is perfectly competitive with private industry but funded through tax dollars there is no incentive to stay on a private insurance plan since you are already taxed for the government option. People move from private insurance to public insurance and as a result the public insurance bill raises. There are two ways for the government to solve the problem of an increase in the bill. They can either raise taxes which the public will not like or they can negotiate (read: regulate) the price down to provide the same benefits for less money.

If you raise taxes you have to deal with various negative income and substitution effects that consumers will experience as well as the inherent losses form taxation. If the government just decreases the price paid to the hospitals it will cause the hospitals to choose to cut back services (standard supply and demand). Of course the government needs the hospital to operate at a certain level of production so to entice it to produce more it will have to subsidize the medical industry. This causes another increase in government spending and the cycle continues.

Private industry may not be perfect, but it operates more efficiently than government would.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline forkboy  
#28 Posted : 24 February 2010 08:43:21(UTC)
forkboy

TheCDs wrote:

And private education could clearly provide the same. It just so happens that certain things are too important for profit to be involved in. Like educating the next generation to be free-thinkers with the ability to analyse the world around them, or like ensuring people are alive, fit and healthy. Yeah, the American health care system is great man. I mean the masses of debt that people are left with, even those WITH insurance, it's fucking flawless. Fuck man, I thought I was a cynical cunt.

Groan.

OK, I'll give you a personal example. I suffer from depression. For the past two months I have been prescribed Citalopram, an anti-depressant, at 20mg a day, every day. A 4 week (28 day) pack costs me £4, flat-rate, as do all NHS prescriptions (although by 2012 prescription charges will be completely done away with in Scotland). Having done some research, that same medicine which has cost me £8 so far (it doesn't even have an immediate effect, taking between 1 & 3 months to make a noticeable difference). I've spent £8 on it. If I was an American the same medicine at the same quantities would have cost me over £200 a month, that's £400 in total. Now I plead ignorance to the differences between health insurance in the UK & US (there is a private option in the UK if you so wish to use it of course) but to get things like medication covered I'd be looking at monthly payments to the insurance company of £20. Not to mention that I don't get certain services scrimped on because it's too costly for my insurance bracket. I pay my National Insurance every month and thus I am able to go the GP when I need a check-up, get in an ambulance in the case of an emergency or whatever it is and just worry about getting better rather than worrying about how to pay the bill.

Also, if you think that the fact that over 15% of the American population cannot afford health care is OK then you are a cold hearted bastard. Never mind that the number of uninsured is increasing every year. You are the wealthiest nation in the world. If little Britain (fuck man, little Cuba!) can afford decent state health care (hardly perfect, but at least everyone can get treatment) then so can America.
Offline forkboy  
#29 Posted : 24 February 2010 08:44:40(UTC)
forkboy

TheCDs wrote:
Private industry may not be perfect, but it operates more efficiently than government would.

There are significantly more important things in the world than abstract ideas like "efficiency". Like folk dying.
Offline Gildermershina  
#30 Posted : 24 February 2010 09:10:31(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

TheCDs wrote:

If I may be facetious and Teaparty-esque for a moment here, isn't efficiency something that HITLER and STALIN were into?
Offline Gildermershina  
#31 Posted : 24 February 2010 09:19:06(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Also, why not take the tax out of health insurance costs. I mean sure, they'd be up in arms about it, but I rather like the idea of biting down on the unchecked greed of the higher-ups of big industries. I mean, if such a sensible but almost entirely unachievable system were in place, and you work it out proportionately, it's a tiny tax on some very very very rich people to SAVE LIVES. I know it's almost unheard of to actually cut salaries in this day and age, but they deserve a lot worse than a paycut.
Offline TheCDs  
#32 Posted : 24 February 2010 09:30:49(UTC)
TheCDs

Gildermershina wrote:
Also, why not take the tax out of health insurance costs. I mean sure, they'd be up in arms about it, but I rather like the idea of biting down on the unchecked greed of the higher-ups of big industries. I mean, if such a sensible but almost entirely unachievable system were in place, and you work it out proportionately, it's a tiny tax on some very very very rich people to SAVE LIVES. I know it's almost unheard of to actually cut salaries in this day and age, but they deserve a lot worse than a paycut.

Although they have the money to lobby their way out of it. The real problem I have with extremely high tax rates on the top tiers of incomes is whether the government actually has the right to tell you what to do with your money. In my view, the government doesn't have the right to tell me that I need to spend money to help someone else out.

A better benefit structure for charitable donation would be something I could support. For instance a system where there is a fund that allows earners in every income bracket to donate some of their money into this fund, up to a limit proportional to their income. This fund would give you some bonus, instead of a straight deduction, it reduces your tax liability by some percent. This makes it more likely that people will donate and then you have a taxless creation of health care funds. The only caveat is that the amount each person can donate must still keep income tax revenue high enough to cover its programs and debts.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Gildermershina  
#33 Posted : 24 February 2010 10:09:24(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

TheCDs wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

Although they have the money to lobby their way out of it. The real problem I have with extremely high tax rates on the top tiers of incomes is whether the government actually has the right to tell you what to do with your money. In my view, the government doesn't have the right to tell me that I need to spend money to help someone else out.

I don't understand how it's such an abhorrent idea for the government to use taxes to fund, say healthcare, and yet education is fine, and defence is fine. The US military is now mostly used in pre-emptive strikes against "potential" threats, and I for one do not support such action without clear reason. A US citizen who doesn't agree with the government's military decisions can't choose not to allow their taxes to fund that. How come that issue doesn't raise eyebrows and yet the thought of being "forced to spend money" on a universal healthcare system to allow at least basic healthcare coverage for all US citizens is almost unfathomable? And this idea that it's being forced to help other people... As opposed to what, being forced to help some bunch of super-rich assholes sitting in a board room pay for diamond watches and cars for their mistresses? Sure you can choose not to get insurance, but either way, your medical costs are not necessarily going where you would want them to. In fact, let's be quite honest, it doesn't matter what you buy, chances are, somewhere along the chain, you're paying for something you don't know about, that does not benefit you, and likely you disagree with.

UserPostedImage

So this idea that the government, through taxes, is funding something that benefits the population at large, in a way that visible and self-evident seems to me like a no-brainer. Whereas buying a your food from any supermarket chain, something that you do absolutely need, in doing so you are paying for all manner of things that they won't ever tell you about. Why is that fine? I do not understand this at all.

If the government doesn't have the right to tax you in order to pay for VITAL services, then exactly what rights does it, or should it have? I mean, it seems like a ridiculously elaborate and expensive pantomime if all they're allowed to do is send troops to countries most citizens can't point to on a map. Why even have a government if not to ensure a basic quality of life for its country's citizens. Or does healthcare not qualify? If you have no insurance, get hit by a car, can't afford the spinal surgery that will heal you, then tough luck, you're in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. But hey, at least Joe McPlumber doesn't have to pay a small proportion of his wages to help you and millions of other people out, if he decides he'd rather save up those extra pennies and buy a shotgun to defend his land from revolting negro slaves.
Offline TheCDs  
#34 Posted : 24 February 2010 11:08:56(UTC)
TheCDs

Gildermershina wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

I don't understand how it's such an abhorrent idea for the government to use taxes to fund, say healthcare, and yet education is fine, and defence is fine. The US military is now mostly used in pre-emptive strikes against "potential" threats, and I for one do not support such action without clear reason. A US citizen who doesn't agree with the government's military decisions can't choose not to allow their taxes to fund that. How come that issue doesn't raise eyebrows and yet the thought of being "forced to spend money" on a universal healthcare system to allow at least basic healthcare coverage for all US citizens is almost unfathomable? And this idea that it's being forced to help other people... As opposed to what, being forced to help some bunch of super-rich assholes sitting in a board room pay for diamond watches and cars for their mistresses? Sure you can choose not to get insurance, but either way, your medical costs are not necessarily going where you would want them to. In fact, let's be quite honest, it doesn't matter what you buy, chances are, somewhere along the chain, you're paying for something you don't know about, that does not benefit you, and likely you disagree with.

So this idea that the government, through taxes, is funding something that benefits the population at large, in a way that visible and self-evident seems to me like a no-brainer. Whereas buying a your food from any supermarket chain, something that you do absolutely need, in doing so you are paying for all manner of things that they won't ever tell you about. Why is that fine? I do not understand this at all.

If the government doesn't have the right to tax you in order to pay for VITAL services, then exactly what rights does it, or should it have? I mean, it seems like a ridiculously elaborate and expensive pantomime if all they're allowed to do is send troops to countries most citizens can't point to on a map. Why even have a government if not to ensure a basic quality of life for its country's citizens. Or does healthcare not qualify? If you have no insurance, get hit by a car, can't afford the spinal surgery that will heal you, then tough luck, you're in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. But hey, at least Joe McPlumber doesn't have to pay a small proportion of his wages to help you and millions of other people out, if he decides he'd rather save up those extra pennies and buy a shotgun to defend his land from revolting negro slaves.

I can choose where to spend my money. If I don't like the practices of a business I choose not to spend there. While I don't agree with the military strategy of the US I still consider defense and military spending a role of the government and not private industry. I never said the government doesn't have the right to tax you. This entire time I was advocating a government tax policy to pay for vital services. I just don't think health care is a service the government should provide.

Simply put, if you took the people who don't have health care and then gave them a ton of money so they could live a comfortable life with health insurance and then asked them to give up some of their income to insure others I would argue they would probably say "Why should I pay for their insurance, the government isn't paying for mine?"

Besides how do you make government health care fair. I mean lets say there are 350 people in Hypotheticaland. A lower class who cannot afford health insurance of 100 people, a large middle class of 200 who probably could pay for private insurance and still live a middle class lifestyle, and then 50 people who make up the wealthy upper class. Also assume society has decided that everyone deserves at least $45 in health benefits.

Further suppose each class pays a different amount towards national health care based on income level, the lowest class pays $10 per person, the middle $30, and the upper $50 (with a progressive tax system). The entire lower class will enroll in the government option as well as half the middle class. The total amount available is $9500 to spend on government health care or $47.50 per person. Now lets assume that seeing this the rest of the middle class and the upper class decides they want to get in on this since they are already paying for it. We now have $9500 split among 350 people or $27.14 per person.

For the government to get everyone their required $45 in benefits taxes must be raised. Now I don't think it is fair to force the upper-middle and upper class to shoulder all the burden of paying for the lower class's health care. Therefore all taxes would have to be raised so each income level is taking on a burden proportionate to their income. Eventually as taxes get raised the lower class will hit a point where it is cheaper to take the risk of not having insurance.

There is also a benefit to having insurance and a cost to being taxed. As a person is taxed more and more (in this case the low income person's taxes were raised because of more people joining the government option) the benefit to insurance becomes less than the cost of the taxation. That means that there is a level of taxation that causes people to be worse off by government insurance than if they had the money in their pocket.

For the government to defend against this price spiral the government has to make sure the benefits of the government insurance are less than that of private insurance so that those people with the money to afford private insurance have an incentive to choose it. The other option is to set some sort of income, wealth, or expenditure cap on those who can participate in the government option. Either way the same problem arises, why should I pay for something that provides a very small benefit to me or that I am barred from using myself.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline forkboy  
#35 Posted : 24 February 2010 18:54:46(UTC)
forkboy

There's this idea called "progressive taxation". The richer you are, the more you pay. And why? Because you can afford to pay more. It's bloody simplistic. America is the only country in the entire western world that doesn't get it.
Offline TheCDs  
#36 Posted : 24 February 2010 20:19:30(UTC)
TheCDs

forkboy wrote:
There's this idea called "progressive taxation". The richer you are, the more you pay. And why? Because you can afford to pay more. It's bloody simplistic. America is the only country in the entire western world that doesn't get it.

I know I mentioned it. Also, America does run a progressive tax system its just not as progressive as others.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Gildermershina  
#37 Posted : 24 February 2010 20:49:50(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

TheCDs wrote:
I can choose where to spend my money. If I don't like the practices of a business I choose not to spend there.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that you don't know the practices of most businesses. Do you check beforehand the corporate structure of every company you ever buy any product from? No, of course not. It's impossible. If you go into a chain convenience store, and purchase Kelloggs Pop Tarts, some Skittles, and a bag of oranges grown in Israel. All you're doing is buying food right? Or maybe you're partially funding Israel's continued oppression of the Palestinians? Maybe you're funding a secret smart-missile weapon which will one day be used to accidentally blow up a school full of children that US Intelligence was certain was a weapons store. Plus the chain store is taking a cut, and maybe that's going to some investor buying a floating golf course in Dubai. How can you possibly avoid this? You would only be able to buy a very limited range of local produce from local merchants. And even then, those merchants might be in the KKK for all you know.

My point is, it's almost impossible to know exactly where your money is going when you spend it.

That aside, I don't see why this tax would only comes from citizens. And why should people pay for things they see no benefit from? Well the majority of people on health insurance are paying more than they need to pay. If you never get sick, then you see no benefit from the insurance, and you are simply paying for other people's healthcare. Indeed, most people don't need anything near the amount of insurance they pay, which is what the insurers bank on. so you're still paying for something you don't necessarily get a direct benefit from, but others do. So again, what exactly is the difference there?
Offline forkboy  
#38 Posted : 24 February 2010 21:05:16(UTC)
forkboy

TheCDs wrote:
forkboy wrote:

I know I mentioned it. Also, America does run a progressive tax system its just not as progressive as others.

I just want to get the Godwin out of the way by doing it in a slightly tongue-in-cheek manner.

AMERICA'S TAX SYSTEM IS ABOUT AS PROGRESSIVE AS HITLER!

As for why you should pay tax so someone ELSE can get health care? Simple human decency. We are not mere animals, we are self-concious, we are able to analyse the world around us and thus we are able to stop and break out past the base animal instincts of self-interest and greed.
Offline TheCDs  
#39 Posted : 25 February 2010 07:29:43(UTC)
TheCDs

Gildermershina wrote:
That aside, I don't see why this tax would only comes from citizens. And why should people pay for things they see no benefit from? Well the majority of people on health insurance are paying more than they need to pay. If you never get sick, then you see no benefit from the insurance, and you are simply paying for other people's healthcare. Indeed, most people don't need anything near the amount of insurance they pay, which is what the insurers bank on. so you're still paying for something you don't necessarily get a direct benefit from, but others do. So again, what exactly is the difference there?

Having health insurance and never needing it provides more benefits to me than paying into a government run health insurance program and then being told I'm not eligible because my income is too high. I derive more utility from the "peace of mind" I get by at least having the coverage than I do from paying into a program that I am not eligible for.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline forkboy  
#40 Posted : 25 February 2010 09:15:31(UTC)
forkboy

That's why I support universal health care. You know, so that everyone is eligible for it.

Also, stop being quite so selfish.