logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rincewind  
#21 Posted : 26 November 2010 03:23:58(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
yeah....damn that 100 years war..... and the war of the roses.... and the napoleonic wars.... and the prussian french war...... and the first world war.... and the second world war....

i will give you the crimea though....
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline asdf  
#22 Posted : 26 November 2010 04:34:47(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
The fact is that while people have taken religion to extremes, and some have caused war over it, it is not the only reason for war. Humans will always find something to kill each other for.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline Gildermershina  
#23 Posted : 26 November 2010 09:53:40(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
asdf wrote:
The fact is that while people have taken religion to extremes, and some have caused war over it, it is not the only reason for war. Humans will always find something to kill each other for.

And what greater reason than faith that your God will support you and help you win? Even though the enemy's God will apparently promise them the very same.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#24 Posted : 28 November 2010 20:25:39(UTC)
Aj

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
asdf wrote:

I think the point is that religion is faith, there is absolutely no scientific evidence for the majority of religious ideas. I mean yeah you might say "oh but they found a rock with Jesus's name inscribed in it!" or some other bullshit, but I mean generally faith is what it's about. This leads people to think without reason, and use it to justify their actions by bending the rules. But I still think if religion wasn't around humans would definitely find some other way to fight, completely agree, but I think there would be a lot less of it anyway. Still though, you could say the same for if people were all the same colour and race. Yeah, kill everyone and leave you with one race of people all united under one common cause and you'd have a lot less wars, but who was that guy who tried to do that? Oh yeah, Hitler. And nobody would dare admit to that being a good idea. So it's where you want to stop? Less religion would mean less culture, architecture, music, artwork, shit basically everything that makes different cultures different is based on religion. But then there would be less persecution of people different to you and there'd be less conflict. So it's whether or not the fact we as humans have all these amazing cultures outweighs the possibility (it's only a possibility), that there'd be less wars? I mean I don't even think there'd be less wars, humans will always fight, always have and always will, that's why we succeed. We don't have anything above us, we're at the top, so it only makes sense for us to fight each other to reach the top of the top? It's human nature. I personally think I'm above most humans, cos I don't believe in any underhand activities or conflict at all, but then a banker or a lawyer or a CEO will call me lazy.

So my problem with religion is when that creepy old guy in the white dress starts telling the world not to use condoms...
Offline asdf  
#25 Posted : 28 November 2010 20:49:54(UTC)
asdf

Man

The pope and the catholic religion is nothing but the biggest disgrace to any christian who ever lived and is an absolute piece of bull.

Offline forkboy  
#26 Posted : 28 November 2010 22:52:22(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Why not the same invective against the Eastern Orthodox church, which is even more traditionalist?
Offline asdf  
#27 Posted : 28 November 2010 23:17:59(UTC)
asdf

Man

forkboy wrote:
Why not the same invective against the Eastern Orthodox church, which is even more traditionalist?

I dont know about that, I was talking about the fact that the Roman Catholics gave permission to have Jesus crucified, they have the followers worship the pope though the bible says worship no one but God and Christ and a million other contradictory things.

Offline genocidal king  
#28 Posted : 28 November 2010 23:57:03(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
asdf wrote:
The pope and the catholic religion is nothing but the biggest disgrace to any christian who ever lived and is an absolute piece of bull.

Sometimes you have something useful to say on here, but whenever you mention religion, you become a narrow-minded little shite tbh.

I am 100% atheist. I do not believe in any of it at all. But I do respect the rights of others to follow whatever religion they want to, particularly if it brings them comfort in their life. How ironic, that you , as a religious man yourself, cannot afford people the same respect.

As I say, I am not religious, but my mum is a dedicated Catholic, and for you to call Catholics as a whole "a disgrace" is out of order. Sure, i do not believe in their stance on contraception, sex before marriage, evolution or any of that stuff, and yes, their antiquated system with the solitary "elected" leader is flawed to say the lease, but to describe all Catholics as a disgrace is out of order mate!
Many Catholics, half of my family included, and in fact, many of my friends, follow the religion for comfort and happiness in their life.

In future, take a step back from your own religion, take a think to yourself, and try to accept others.
UserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#29 Posted : 29 November 2010 00:06:07(UTC)
forkboy

The Catholic Church is certainly a despicable organisation, but notice how I differentiate between the Church and it's followers.

Sure, Catholicism has some dumb ideas, and a lot of those dumb ideas that are opposite to what the scriptures say were continued by the protestants after the reformation. Funny shit.

Also, how could Catholics give permission for Jesus to be crucified when the church didn't really come into being until the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine? Who died in 337.
Offline asdf  
#30 Posted : 29 November 2010 01:11:03(UTC)
asdf

Man

genocidal king wrote:
asdf wrote:

Sometimes you have something useful to say on here, but whenever you mention religion, you become a narrow-minded little shite tbh.

I am 100% atheist. I do not believe in any of it at all. But I do respect the rights of others to follow whatever religion they want to, particularly if it brings them comfort in their life. How ironic, that you , as a religious man yourself, cannot afford people the same respect.

As I say, I am not religious, but my mum is a dedicated Catholic, and for you to call Catholics as a whole "a disgrace" is out of order. Sure, i do not believe in their stance on contraception, sex before marriage, evolution or any of that stuff, and yes, their antiquated system with the solitary "elected" leader is flawed to say the lease, but to describe all Catholics as a disgrace is out of order mate!
Many Catholics, half of my family included, and in fact, many of my friends, follow the religion for comfort and happiness in their life.

In future, take a step back from your own religion, take a think to yourself, and try to accept others.

Err, I was talking about the church and its leaders not your mom and dad and any other followers. As for the importance of my posts on here, I dont believe any of them seem to matter to anyone so I will continue to say what I think weather I am right or wrong in your opinion.

I indeed agree with you that people should be allowed to believe or not believe what ever they want too, that is why I was talking about the Catholic religion and its leaders not the people who believe it.

Sometimes I read your posts and see nothing but a shite filled lump of nothing tbh.

Offline Rincewind  
#31 Posted : 29 November 2010 01:44:13(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
any one else catch the blair V hitchins debate on religion?
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#32 Posted : 29 November 2010 02:08:40(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
I'm just going be a civil human being, be the best I can be. Love as much as I can and make the best out of my life.

But whether or not if the world would actually be better without it. That's unthinkable for me.
Offline forkboy  
#33 Posted : 29 November 2010 04:06:19(UTC)
forkboy

Rincewind wrote:
any one else catch the blair V hitchins debate on religion?

Nope, but I did read about it. It does seem little surprise that Hitchens came across better simply because the only "debating" experience Blair has in the last 20 or 30 years is shouting across the dispatch box at PMQs, which is more like Primary School than actual debating. Where as the great Hitchens has been doing this for a long time.