logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Aj  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2012 04:24:24(UTC)
Aj

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
What are you all? It's a pretty controversial topic so I don't want to start a flame war. (exactly what i want to do)
Offline genocidal king  
#2 Posted : 16 May 2012 04:26:24(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Choice. Without question.
UserPostedImage
Offline DistortedAudio  
#3 Posted : 16 May 2012 04:30:21(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
I don't really care. I've had people complain to me about either side so much that I've just decided that it's in the eye of the beholder.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
thanks 1 user thanked DistortedAudio for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 16/05/2012(UTC)
Offline forkboy  
#4 Posted : 16 May 2012 05:43:03(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post
I don't really care. I've had people complain to me about either side so much that I've just decided that it's in the eye of the beholder.

So that means you are pro choice then? Doesn't mean you'd have an abortion yourself, just means you believe adults should have the right to make their own decisions.

I'm firmly pro-choice.
Offline Rincewind  
#5 Posted : 16 May 2012 05:47:37(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
pro choice as long as it is a choice.....

the real question is, what would you all do if your gf was preggers she wanted an abortion but you really really wanted to have the baby?
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline asdf  
#6 Posted : 16 May 2012 06:07:49(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post

the real question is, what would you all do if your gf was preggers she wanted an abortion but you really really wanted to have the baby?

Legally the government wouldn't give a shit and she wouldn't have to either.

That's my only problem with the whole question, really. I realize that it's the females body and what not, but why should the male have to live his life knowing that his child was killed if that was how he felt about it? It's a very large grey area with no real answer or solution.

I firmly believe that the choice should be there, but I'm against having it done.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline DistortedAudio  
#7 Posted : 16 May 2012 06:15:55(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
@Fork; I put it like this in the shoutbox a while ago. I can see why people are Pro-Choice, and why people are Pro-Life.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline erich hess  
#8 Posted : 16 May 2012 07:51:56(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17910 time(s) in 10405 post(s)
pro choice.i live in the 21st century. if people disagree with abortion? cool. dont have one.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline forkboy  
#9 Posted : 16 May 2012 09:24:59(UTC)
forkboy

I literally can't imagine me being the one who wants to keep the baby
Offline Rincewind  
#10 Posted : 16 May 2012 19:11:25(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post

I literally can't imagine me being the one who wants to keep the baby

same here..... but this issue does arrive.....
what if the boyfriend doesn't want it and the girlfriend does... should he still have to pay child support etc if she has it?

there are so many issues surrounding abortion and a couples decisions, that its a massive grey area, a simple black and white pro/ anti answer never really does the issue justice.
and im just like:
Offline Raphaela  
#11 Posted : 16 May 2012 21:52:24(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Totally, 100% pro-choice. And I can easily say I'd have an abortion if I got pregnant any time in my young life. Children are a lifetime, full-time job.
As far as the father wanting the baby, pretty much the only thing to be done is a lot of talking, but if the girl is determined to have one then I don't see why she shouldn't do it. If the guy doesn't want I do think it's his responsability to support the child, after all it takes two to make a baby.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline deadserious  
#12 Posted : 16 May 2012 22:58:02(UTC)
deadserious

United States

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 314 post(s)
I don't think that the government should have a right to how a woman should control her body. I do however believe life begins at conception, and abortion is murder. BUT, I'm torn at some exceptions like if the woman was raped, or if the child will not live pass delivery or a few days after, extreme cases like those.
Aimery â–² Naomi â–² Giselle â–² ELMNT
Offline genocidal king  
#13 Posted : 16 May 2012 23:06:10(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Originally Posted by: deadserious Go to Quoted Post
I don't think that the government should have a right to how a woman should control her body. I do however believe life begins at conception, and abortion is murder. BUT, I'm torn at some exceptions like if the woman was raped, or if the child will not live pass delivery or a few days after, extreme cases like those.

Do you count your age from that moment then? Life can't begin at conception. It is little more than two yet-to-fuse separate cells at the moment of conception. Life begins much later in my opinion.
UserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#14 Posted : 17 May 2012 00:41:11(UTC)
forkboy

Calling abortion murder just attempts to trivialise actual murder. Abortion is not murder & nor is euthanasia.
Offline asdf  
#15 Posted : 17 May 2012 01:11:37(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Raphaela Go to Quoted Post
Totally, 100% pro-choice. And I can easily say I'd have an abortion if I got pregnant any time in my young life. Children are a lifetime, full-time job.
As far as the father wanting the baby, pretty much the only thing to be done is a lot of talking, but if the girl is determined to have one then I don't see why she shouldn't do it. If the guy doesn't want I do think it's his responsability to support the child, after all it takes two to make a baby.

Absolutely, but what if it's the other way around?
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline Gildermershina  
#16 Posted : 17 May 2012 04:25:48(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Me, I'm anti-life. In all seriousness though, the fact they call it "pro-life" is pretty offensive really. I think abortion is a hard thing for anyone to go through, it shouldn't be easy, but it's a woman's right to choose. I don't think life begins at conception, I also don't think a fetus has human rights either.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#17 Posted : 17 May 2012 05:05:18(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Personally, I think that if anyone is silly enough to get someone pregnant in the first place accidentally, then there probably not capable of caring for that child in the first place. With the amount of contraceptives out right now the laziness that results in unwanted children, it would be hard for me to say that abortion is totally wrong. So, for that reason I agree with abortion - to an extent - simply because ending the 'life' before it has time to think and feel for itself would be saving it from a lifetime of an unhappy child. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, or even most, many people probably have unwanted children that they have brought up brilliantly, I just think abortion should be there as an option for those who can't.

I do think there should be a time at which the option should be removed. I'm not quite sure what time the brain develops into a functioning thing that can think and feel, but I'd say a short while before then should be the limit. If the child is discovered to have issues that are terrible then I'd say abortion should be available later on, but only if doctors agree that the child will have a totally unhappy life. Relatively 'small' issues like downs syndrome shouldn't be aborted though, I'm talking extreme pain and lack of quality of life. That said I would agree with abortion if the mothers life's in danger.
Offline Rincewind  
#18 Posted : 18 May 2012 01:15:17(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

so in a hypothetical situation.... i get you preggers (wink wink nod nod) you decide you want to carry through with it and birth a child, i on the other hand emphatically do not want the child, do not like children and am 100% against this... obviously we break up over this, you go ahead and have the child. in your opinion even though i was 100% against it from the start and made very very clear it was not what i wanted at all, i have to be responsible and support the child financially?

now i disagree with this... if there is a split of opinion about having the child... Ie the female wants to keep it the male does not.. i do not think it is then fair for the female to expect and demand financial aid from the male.. He made clear his opinion on the issue and therefore in my opinion at least has the right to decide himself if he wants to contribute towards it or not... otherwise he is being held hostage by his partner.

now if he did want the baby at the time and then split up afterwards, then i agree he has a duty to help support the child.
and im just like:
thanks 1 user thanked Rincewind for this useful post.
erich hess on 18/05/2012(UTC)
Offline Gildermershina  
#19 Posted : 18 May 2012 04:42:25(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)

so in a hypothetical situation.... i get you preggers (wink wink nod nod) you decide you want to carry through with it and birth a child, i on the other hand emphatically do not want the child, do not like children and am 100% against this... obviously we break up over this, you go ahead and have the child. in your opinion even though i was 100% against it from the start and made very very clear it was not what i wanted at all, i have to be responsible and support the child financially?

now i disagree with this... if there is a split of opinion about having the child... Ie the female wants to keep it the male does not.. i do not think it is then fair for the female to expect and demand financial aid from the male.. He made clear his opinion on the issue and therefore in my opinion at least has the right to decide himself if he wants to contribute towards it or not... otherwise he is being held hostage by his partner.

now if he did want the baby at the time and then split up afterwards, then i agree he has a duty to help support the child.

Depends how the pregnancy happened. If it's because you were a dick and didn't wear a condom, and were just lazy and inconsiderate in general, then I think it is your responsibility. If it happened by accident despite any precautions taken, then maybe you have a leg to stand on, but generally, I tend to think it's the man's responsibility to provide some support because I don't think it's a man's right to demand a woman gets an abortion. Also, a man can walk away, the woman has to live through the pregnancy (which as I've discovered recently is really even more unpleasant than I had realised). I think really the man has it fucking easy.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Rincewind  
#20 Posted : 18 May 2012 06:55:28(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Originally Posted by: Gildermershina Go to Quoted Post

Depends how the pregnancy happened. If it's because you were a dick and didn't wear a condom, and were just lazy and inconsiderate in general, then I think it is your responsibility. If it happened by accident despite any precautions taken, then maybe you have a leg to stand on, but generally, I tend to think it's the man's responsibility to provide some support because I don't think it's a man's right to demand a woman gets an abortion. Also, a man can walk away, the woman has to live through the pregnancy (which as I've discovered recently is really even more unpleasant than I had realised). I think really the man has it fucking easy.

Contraception is both the mans and the womans responsibility for starters, not just the mans (its a two way street)..
I agree utterly that the man can not demand that the woman has an abortion, its her body, her choice. That does not mean however that if she decides to have the baby the man is automatically up shit creek no matter what his personal views are.. The man can walk away, but the state demands a financial responsibility from him in most countries.. Now my question is, is that fair if the man made clear from the very very start that having a child was the last thing he wanted and if a child was to occur he wanted nothing to do with it. The woman knows this, has the baby.. Is she then entitled to demand upkeep from the man?
and im just like: