logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mckenzie-  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2012 04:20:50(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
I was on facebook earlier and stumbled across this news story posted by the infamous 'Lad Bible'. The story was that 1 guy had tweeted that he had been driving drunk typing YOLO before crashing and killing himself plus the other 4 in the car. I was scrolling down the comments and was dismayed to see no sympathy for him or any of the others that died. Some comments red "serves the dickhead right, im glad hes dead", "One less scumbag on the street... Bye, bye......" and "That's the best news ive had all day". Most of the comments went the same way.

I know it is no excuse to drink drive but is that really necessary? Do people deserve to die? Obviously it could have been worse had he hit another car or killed innocent people, but I still find the comments sick and tasteless.

Here's the story. http://www.theladbible.c...ladness-gallery?image=14

Edited by moderator 12 September 2012 02:27:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

retired x
Offline _Python_  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2012 04:51:22(UTC)
_Python_

Man
United States

Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 73 post(s)
No. I hate the saying "That's life". My cousin just lost his uncle a year ago to a drug overdose, and two years before that he lost his grandmal and his other uncle in a six-month-span. Two months ago he just lost his mother to another overdose. People were talking about it, saying remarks like "That's why you don't do drugs." That's bullshit if you ask me, people treat addicts like that's what they want to be. Sure, some may act like that, but drug abuse is a deadly thing and it's sad to be looked at like that.
UserPostedImage
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2012 05:00:19(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
The politically correct answer is 'No' but then that goes into one's beliefs and morals, etc, etc. It would be like writing an essay. Did he deserve to die? Honestly? He was endangering himself and everyone else in that car and on the street. Drinking and driving is just being reckless and selfish because you're not just gonna hurt yourself, you're gonna hurt innocent people. I'm not saying I would sit there and make those comments because that's just poor judgement and very tasteless since I'm sure he had a family of his own, but I think he caused his own death which could have been prevented. I don't necessarily think he "deserved" to die, he just doesn't deserve anyone defending him because he ultimately made an idiotic choice. I hate that saying anyway because it's being used as an excuse to act like idiots since 'You only live once.'
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

Offline genocidal king  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2012 05:05:58(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
I always thought of YOLO as being a good reason to look after your only chance. Not an excuse for acting like a total tosser.

All the same, in this case, no one deserved to die. Murderers, rapists, pedophiles on the other hand, possibly do deserve to die. It all depends on what side of the fence you're on I suppose.
UserPostedImage
Offline Gildermershina  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2012 08:25:15(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I don't really think anyone deserves to die. What a shame that everyone does.

Seriously though, if you do something stupid, knowing the risks, and die doing it, then I have no sympathy. If you endanger the lives of others at the same time, I also have no sympathy, and actually I feel pretty angry about it. Don't do dumb things in a car on a busy road with passengers. If you die because of that, then actually, you know what, you deserve it. You deserve it because you may well have survived while others died, because of your stupidity.

Maybe this is just semantics, but I don't think anyone deserves to die, but I think some people deserve to have died. I don't think anyone deserves death as a punishment. But hey, occasionally, just very occasionally, something happens and it makes me pause, and I think "you deserve/deserved to die." But that's very rare, and even in those circumstances I know it's misguided to think that vengeance and justice are the same thing.

I'm not a fan of the idea that murderers, rapists and paedophiles automatically deserve death. Rape, for example, is a very complex issue, and I'm not going to go around saying "well, it wasn't a legitimate rape", but there is a difference between a man who rapes his wife and a man who rapes a stranger. Not that it's for me to decide one is a lesser crime than another, but it's clear that you can't claim rape comes from a singular impulse and the only way to destroy that impulse is the death penalty. Likewise, murder. Someone who murders a stranger for fun, vs. someone who murders a man that slept with his wife, let's say, these are very different things.

If there is any place for the death penalty, in my mind it would have to be a situation where the continued existence of that person is a serious and quantifiable danger, and that is very rarely the case. Aside from highly extreme ideological leaders who incite violence, I can't really think of many I would put in that category, and even then it's usually like cutting the head of the hydra.

Osama Bin Laden probably deserved to die because it would be impossible to incarcerate him in a way that would prevent his influence on others. I am glad he is dead. But I wasn't jumping and screaming in joy because he died, I got to satisfaction from his actual death. It kind of creeps me out that people had that reaction when it happened - indeed, Jon Stewart's coverage of it on the Daily Show I found pretty unsettling.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Gildermershina for this useful post.
DistortedAudio on 10/09/2012(UTC)
Offline Aj  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2012 22:03:04(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gildermershina Go to Quoted Post
I don't really think anyone deserves to die. What a shame that everyone does.

Seriously though, if you do something stupid, knowing the risks, and die doing it, then I have no sympathy. If you endanger the lives of others at the same time, I also have no sympathy, and actually I feel pretty angry about it. Don't do dumb things in a car on a busy road with passengers. If you die because of that, then actually, you know what, you deserve it. You deserve it because you may well have survived while others died, because of your stupidity.

Maybe this is just semantics, but I don't think anyone deserves to die, but I think some people deserve to have died. I don't think anyone deserves death as a punishment. But hey, occasionally, just very occasionally, something happens and it makes me pause, and I think "you deserve/deserved to die." But that's very rare, and even in those circumstances I know it's misguided to think that vengeance and justice are the same thing.

I'm not a fan of the idea that murderers, rapists and paedophiles automatically deserve death. Rape, for example, is a very complex issue, and I'm not going to go around saying "well, it wasn't a legitimate rape", but there is a difference between a man who rapes his wife and a man who rapes a stranger. Not that it's for me to decide one is a lesser crime than another, but it's clear that you can't claim rape comes from a singular impulse and the only way to destroy that impulse is the death penalty. Likewise, murder. Someone who murders a stranger for fun, vs. someone who murders a man that slept with his wife, let's say, these are very different things.

If there is any place for the death penalty, in my mind it would have to be a situation where the continued existence of that person is a serious and quantifiable danger, and that is very rarely the case. Aside from highly extreme ideological leaders who incite violence, I can't really think of many I would put in that category, and even then it's usually like cutting the head of the hydra.

Osama Bin Laden probably deserved to die because it would be impossible to incarcerate him in a way that would prevent his influence on others. I am glad he is dead. But I wasn't jumping and screaming in joy because he died, I got to satisfaction from his actual death. It kind of creeps me out that people had that reaction when it happened - indeed, Jon Stewart's coverage of it on the Daily Show I found pretty unsettling.

Are you talking about this?

I'd pretty much agree with you there, I think drunk driving is just stupid and ultimately ends up hurting everyone else as opposed to the driver because they usually die pretty quickly. Unless you have to have like your legs amputated or something, even still it is a stupid thing to do. So I guess he probably did "deserve" to die, but the family doesn't deserve to have to read the comments because at the end of the day they are the people who will be hurt by it.

I always remember that Christian woman in circumstances like this when she forgave the person who murdered her son without him even apologising or being remorseful, and I think that pretty much sums it up for me. If you forgive you can move on, always chasing vengeance is only going to prolong the pain for people. I think any Law system worth it's salt should deal with murderers effectively without resorting to the death penalty. I.e this guy in Europe (can't think where) who supposedly was forced into kissing an 8 year old by the little girl get's let off on bail and only has to do something like 10 weeks in jail, gets put on the sex offenders list and that's it. Find that ridiculous, but find it equally as ridiculous as someone who suggests we should kill him for it.

Edited by user 09 September 2012 22:03:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Gildermershina  
#7 Posted : 10 September 2012 02:00:30(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Aj Go to Quoted Post

Yes, I mean that. It went on for at least a week, where he'd say something rational and sensible and then be like "Shot bin laden in the face yo!" and the audience would go nuts... And not in an ironic way. Regardless of who it is, they're cheering a guy being brutally shot. I find that pretty difficult to understand.

I never heard about your 8 year old kissing punishment thing, sounds pretty ridiculous, but it also sounds like something made-up.
Offline Aj  
#8 Posted : 10 September 2012 02:44:06(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)

Yes, I mean that. It went on for at least a week, where he'd say something rational and sensible and then be like "Shot bin laden in the face yo!" and the audience would go nuts... And not in an ironic way. Regardless of who it is, they're cheering a guy being brutally shot. I find that pretty difficult to understand.

I never heard about your 8 year old kissing punishment thing, sounds pretty ridiculous, but it also sounds like something made-up.

Click here for the link to the story, I understand that it's the Daily Mail but still, there isn't an awful lot that you could spin here.

Effectively he said that she was being flirtatious and sexual. Quote from the man himself: 'I knew it was wrong, but somehow our mouths became open. I could not push her off.'
Offline Gildermershina  
#9 Posted : 10 September 2012 03:13:21(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Click here for the link to the story, I understand that it's the Daily Mail but still, there isn't an awful lot that you could spin here.

Effectively he said that she was being flirtatious and sexual. Quote from the man himself: 'I knew it was wrong, but somehow our mouths became open. I could not push her off.'

I completely misunderstood what you said then. But yeah, that guy seems pretty horrible. However, being the Daily Mail, this could well have been a story about a guy who tried to save a cat from a tree, and the editor would still come in and shout "MAKE IT ABOUT HOW PAEDOPHILES ARE BEING TREATED LIKE ROYALTY IN THIS COUNTRY! PRINT THAT PICTURE OF HIM WITH THE CRAZY EYES!"

Basically, what I'm saying is there's almost certainly more to the story than what the Mail reported.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#10 Posted : 10 September 2012 04:35:14(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
I pretty much agree with what Gild said about people deserving to /have/ died, but @Daily Show comments, I find that people tend to forget that Jon Stewart is a comedian. Sure people are cheering for him when he said those comments but it's like Nazi jokes (Anne Frankly, I'm getting a bit sick of them) or Rape Jokes or Dead Baby humor and when people take those types of jokes has slights or seriously, you're kinda becoming the butt of said jokes. Comedians make a living off of having a shitty life and making fun of how shitty that life is, and Jon Stewart's satire is no different.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#11 Posted : 10 September 2012 06:03:30(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post
I pretty much agree with what Gild said about people deserving to /have/ died, but @Daily Show comments, I find that people tend to forget that Jon Stewart is a comedian. Sure people are cheering for him when he said those comments but it's like Nazi jokes (Anne Frankly, I'm getting a bit sick of them) or Rape Jokes or Dead Baby humor and when people take those types of jokes has slights or seriously, you're kinda becoming the butt of said jokes. Comedians make a living off of having a shitty life and making fun of how shitty that life is, and Jon Stewart's satire is no different.

I don't forget that Jon Stewart is a comedian, I just think it's not a comedian's place to goad an audience into cheering about shooting someone in the face. That's not comedy. People are not laughing at the comedy of it, they're screaming in joy at a guy being shot to death, and his body being dumped in the ocean.

The only way it would be similar to Nazi jokes would be if the Nazi jokes were "boy, Nazis suck, but it's a good thing our troops went over and SHOT A BUNCH OF THEM IN THE FACE, LEAVING BEHIND MUTILATED CORPSES, AM I RIGHT?" And the audience cheer because of how much they hate Nazis. No, good Nazi jokes have nothing to do with vengeance or latent hatred of Nazis. As for rape jokes and dead baby humour, well, it sure is hilarious fucking a bunch of dead babies in the ass hahaha, but seriously... That's just about the cheapest comedy of all, because it's pretty easy to say something most people would find shocking and not mean it. Not even sure how that's even relevant, nothing Jon Stewart is saying here is for shock value, it's just pandering to the collective American desire for vengeance.

Comedians do not all make a living off having a shitty life and making fun of it. Louis C.K. does. David Cross doesn't. Comedy is much more diverse than that and Jon Stewart's specific shtick has nothing to do with that. His comedy is largely laughing at the absurdity of American politics and popular culture, and very rarely has anything to do with his own life. Besides, I'm having a hard time working out how the bloody killing of Bin Laden would enter into any comedian's own "shitty life".

Edited by user 10 September 2012 06:05:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline DistortedAudio  
#12 Posted : 10 September 2012 06:38:01(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)

I don't forget that Jon Stewart is a comedian, I just think it's not a comedian's place to goad an audience into cheering about shooting someone in the face. That's not comedy. People are not laughing at the comedy of it, they're screaming in joy at a guy being shot to death, and his body being dumped in the ocean.

The only way it would be similar to Nazi jokes would be if the Nazi jokes were "boy, Nazis suck, but it's a good thing our troops went over and SHOT A BUNCH OF THEM IN THE FACE, LEAVING BEHIND MUTILATED CORPSES, AM I RIGHT?" And the audience cheer because of how much they hate Nazis. No, good Nazi jokes have nothing to do with vengeance or latent hatred of Nazis. As for rape jokes and dead baby humour, well, it sure is hilarious fucking a bunch of dead babies in the ass hahaha, but seriously... That's just about the cheapest comedy of all, because it's pretty easy to say something most people would find shocking and not mean it. Not even sure how that's even relevant, nothing Jon Stewart is saying here is for shock value, it's just pandering to the collective American desire for vengeance.

Comedians do not all make a living off having a shitty life and making fun of it. Louis C.K. does. David Cross doesn't. Comedy is much more diverse than that and Jon Stewart's specific shtick has nothing to do with that. His comedy is largely laughing at the absurdity of American politics and popular culture, and very rarely has anything to do with his own life. Besides, I'm having a hard time working out how the bloody killing of Bin Laden would enter into any comedian's own "shitty life".

The shitty life part wasn't going for every comedian since it is a diverse art-form, but comedy does goad people into laughing, hell what comedian doesn't want people to laugh at their jokes.

Also the part about Nazi Jokes confuses me a bit, since most Nazi jokes tap into our latent hatred of the Nazis in some way, shape or form.

Cheapest Form of Comedy? Maybe. But cheapness =/= quality, and I find that's a mistake most people tend to be making. Just because you go for a cheap joke at someone else's expense, doesn't make the laughter that comes from it stained with inadequacy, it just means you went for the cheap joke.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#13 Posted : 10 September 2012 07:47:37(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

The shitty life part wasn't going for every comedian since it is a diverse art-form, but comedy does goad people into laughing, hell what comedian doesn't want people to laugh at their jokes.

Also the part about Nazi Jokes confuses me a bit, since most Nazi jokes tap into our latent hatred of the Nazis in some way, shape or form.

Cheapest Form of Comedy? Maybe. But cheapness =/= quality, and I find that's a mistake most people tend to be making. Just because you go for a cheap joke at someone else's expense, doesn't make the laughter that comes from it stained with inadequacy, it just means you went for the cheap joke.

I'm not talking about not goading people to laugh, I'm talking about not goading them to cheer in celebration of the killing of an actual human being. Two entirely different reactions.

Well okay, maybe they do tap into the latent hatred of Nazis in the sense that the Nazis are almost always the butt of the joke, but at the same time, Nazi jokes are jokes, they're not just pointing out that a Nazi is dead and then getting everyone to cheer about it. Take any Nazi joke and replace the word "Nazi" with "nigger". It's the same joke, but it's not okay to laugh at niggers. It's pretty easy to laugh at Nazis.

I've got no problem with cheap jokes necessarily, they serve a purpose in a larger context, but I'm sick to death of the internet's obsession with trying to come up with the most offensive thing possible in every single situation. It's an intellectual race to the bottom. It's a desensitisation thing, where people are no longer satisfied with a joke about raping a dead baby, that's too tame, now you have to be raping a dead baby in the eye socket after you've flayed all its skin off. It's not even comedy at that point, it's little more than a pissing contest than an attempt to craft actual humour.

Edited by user 10 September 2012 07:48:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline forkboy  
#14 Posted : 12 September 2012 00:39:19(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mckenzie- Go to Quoted Post
I was on facebook earlier and stumbled across this news story posted by the infamous 'Lad Bible'. The story was that 1 guy had tweeted that he had been driving drunk typing YOLO before crashing and killing himself plus the other 4 in the car. I was scrolling down the comments and was dismayed to see no sympathy for him or any of the others that died. Some comments red "serves the dickhead right, im glad hes dead", "One less scumbag on the street... Bye, bye......" and "That's the best news ive had all day". Most of the comments went the same way.

I know it is no excuse to drink drive but is that really necessary? Do people deserve to die? Obviously it could have been worse had he hit another car or killed innocent people, but I still find the comments sick and tasteless.

Here's the story. http://www.theladbible.c...ladness-gallery?image=14

Some people deserve to die. And I feel no sympathy for those people. Like drink drivers (for a recent celebrity example I think of Ryan Dunn, I heard he died & thought "I enjoyed him on Jackass. That time he tried to cycle the kiddie bike over the sewage ditch was funny. And he put that toy car up his bum!" But that was tempered with a thought that drink driving is a reprehensible thing to do). Take a fucking taxi. You don't just risk your own life, or that of any passengers, you risk the lives of pedestrians & other drivers out there who are completely innocent. That is showing a callous disregard for human life. And I think people who do that deserve to die.

But thinking someone "deserves" to die is one thing. Especially as there is no cosmic balance, no ultimate justice to balance out the good & the bad in this universe. It's not glorifying in someones death. It's not gloating about it & thinking "I'm glad he's dead". It's a simple gut-reaction to an unpleasant action. I felt no sadness when Osama Bin Laden was killed because he was a reprehensible monster responsible directly or indirectly for the death of many thousands in New York, Washington, Nairobi, Dar es Salaam, Afghanistan, Iraq, Madrid, London, Bali, Philippines, Nigeria, Sudan, Somalia, Mali & umpteen other places. But I simultaneously felt no joy or relief either. A shitty human being had been executed. It's not a moment of celebration. I may think he deserved death, & the world would be a slightly better place without him but murdering another human being is shitty, regardless if the dude you kill is also shitty.

Glorifying in the senseless waste of humanity, be it for mass murderers or drunk drivers is nasty & showing a callous disregard for human life.

Edited by user 12 September 2012 00:40:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified