logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline tT7lV9kR0r  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2013 11:54:18(UTC)
tT7lV9kR0r

Groups: Registered

<br>Agoraphobic's plea to civic chiefs</br><br>Community figures are now urging the council to rethink its decision.Sandra said her agoraphobia began in about 1985, when she had to deal with a number of deaths among her family and friends, including her father, and was mugged by two men in broad daylight.She said her condition got progressively worse, causing her to suffer panic attacks, migraines and severe chest pains.It culminated in a massive panic attack when she was on the way to a job interview and she decided to move in with her mother at her council house in Alder Road in 1991.Since moving into the house the 61yearold has developed posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome (PRES), a condition which leads to further seizures, headaches and confusion.Although she made attempts to walk to a nearby shop with her mum when she first moved in, her fear of being in the open became so severe that between 1992 and last year the only time she left her home was when she suffered a seizure and was taken to Southampton General Hospital for treatment. beats by dre. pill bluetooth speaker celine bags <a href="http://www.lenouvelliste.com/phpcode/login2.php">unique shower curtains</a> Her agoraphobia is so crippling that she has lost several teeth through not going to the dentist, and has dealt with medical problems such as kidney stones and an abcess herself to avoid going outside for treatment.Her son, Ian, said: "If mum thinks about going out it gives her these feelings of anxiety and if she tries to go out then she gets a fullon panic attack."Three months after her mother's death Sandra received the first of several letters from the council saying that she would not be allowed to remain in the house as she was not the tenant for the property. unique shower curtains This month the council informed her that her case had been referred to its legal services department in a bid to get her to leave the house.She has sought help to beat her agoraphobia and says she had made progress with a council support worker. shower curtains However, the worker was taken away from her after only halfadozen sessions due to a reshuffle in the council's adult social care team and she says the subsequent care she has received has not been as productive.She says she is now making steady progress independently and on a couple of occasions has been able to walk for a few metres on the pavement outside her house the first times she has voluntarily stepped outside for 21 years.The mum of one said: "Ideally I would like to live here because it's been my home for the past 22 years, but I also want to get outside, be independent and get better."I know that I will probably have to leave the house, but I want the council to show me some compassion."Son Ian, a 42yearold builder, said: "I think we know now that mum just isn't going to be able to stay here longterm."But she wants to get better and the pressure that the council is putting her under by trying to force her to move is not helping her get better it's like going two steps forward and three back."I've never been able to take my mum out for a roast dinner or anywhere for Mother's Day. Can you imagine what that feels like?"Agoraphobia is a serious condition but one that isn't very well understood no one likes being pressured but that's what the council is doing to mum."If it's a case of paying the council rent for mum to remain here I'll do it."A council spokesman said: "Demand for council housing stock, especially family homes, is extremely high, with around 14,000 applicants currently waiting for properties."We are sympathetic towards the tenant and she has been given priority to relocate to a suitable sized home to accommodate her and her dog. Throughout the case the council has provided support and advice to the tenant and her family."The council has a duty to make the best of the stock it has, so homes generally only pass from one family member to another once, which in this case has already happened. A family of up to six people could live in a three bed house."Sandra's ward councillor Don Thomas says he will be pressuring the council to rethink the decision to force Sandra out.He said: "When dealing with real people the council must recognise there will always be exceptions to the rule such as we have here they must never act without a heart, or have no compassion otherwise the council becomes a sort of robotic computerised assembly line where individual and real people are put in one end and come out the other end all the same, only to be forced into a rigid housing slot which may very well solve the council's problem but does not solve the individual's problem or the actual housing need."I will ask the council to rethink Mrs Shaw's housing needs with fairness and compassion and make an exception to the rule."At first I thought they should kick her out straight away but after reading the article I think that she should be given all the support she needs to battle the condition and be able to leave. Very sad really, imprisoning yourself this way. Best of,luck to her and I hope her son gets to take her out someday soon.At first I thought they should kick her out straight away but after reading the article I think that she should be given all the support she needs to battle the condition and be able to leave. Very sad really, imprisoning yourself this way. Best of,luck to her and I hope her son gets to take her out someday soon. <a href="http://www.newzealandeducated.com/contest/wp-xml.php">bose noise cancelling headphones</a> </br>