logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2024 02:01:40(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19134 time(s) in 7597 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: The Zone
Title: HYSTERIA
Genre(s): House Pop
Length: 3:39
Writer(s): C.Adams
Producer(s): Leland
Label: Big Diamond Records
From The Album: HYSTERIA

HYSTERIA is a song recorded by American vocal boy band The Zone. It serves as the second single from their upcoming, second studio album, also titled "HYSTERIA", which is due for release in the first quarter of 2024. The song was released on January 21st, 2024, ahead of the announcement of the track listing from its parent album. "HYSTERIA" follows the success of The Zone's comeback single, "Guess It's True", which went on to become the group's first chart-topper, debuting at the #1 position on the Chart Heat Singles in the summer of 2023. Production of the song was handled by Swedish DJ and producer "Leland". The track was written entirely by group member Chris Adams. Adams confessed to being "high as a kite" during the conception of the track, resulting in "odd" lyrical choices and structure and the overall "hyper-awareness" of the song. Upon presenting the song to the band, The Zone made a unanimous decision to push the track for single status as well as titling the new album in its honor, instantly falling in love with Adams' creation.

"HYSTERIA" is an upbeat House Pop song laden with elements of electropop and Funky House. The vocal composition consists of a juxtaposition of stylings, transitioning from "soft" and vocoder-tinged deliveries throughout the verses, to loud and anthemic "chants" in unison on the song's choruses. The mixed vocal executions and fast-paced beats lean into the song's offbeat lyricism. Production of the track was heavily inspired by late 1990s and early 2000s European Dance and House music. The song opens with repeated yet slightly muffled chanting from all four members of the band before formally launching into Blake Williams' verse. Williams, one of the group's leading writers and vocalists, features heavily on the song. He has two full verses as well as lines with the song's post-chorus. His naturally light and soft voice sets the tone for the track. Liam Allen features the least, taking on the song's two short pre-choruses. Jason Ochoa-Steele handles the third verse while Chris Adams rounds out the track, singing the final verse and outro. All four members chant the chorus in unison.

Lyrically, the song does not centre around one linear story. The track itself is said to be more of a "feeling" according Chris Adams, the sole writer of the song. Inspired by "clickbait", "bitesize info", "doom scrolling" and "fleeting trends", Adams decided to list off numerous worldly and societal matters that cause him great anxiety and/or intrigue. Wanting to replicate the feelings of the fight or flight response, the song frantically throws different and unrelated emotions, opinions and scenarios to the unsuspecting listeners all while being backed up by an escalating and infectious beat.

Critical reception of "HYSTERIA" has been mainly positive upon release thus far. Writing for Vulture, Jacob Terry dubbed the song as "the best and most intriguing thing The Zone has ever put their name too". He further added that the release of the song indicates "a promising and exciting new chapter for a group once counted out". Gabriel Tracey of The Guardian awarded the track 4 out of 5 stars and called the song "the bastard love child of a football chance and an Ibiza club anthem" before claiming it to be "an oddity but an earworm nonetheless". In a humorous review for Slant Magazine, Sally Hoffman wrote; Do the lyrics necessarily make much sense? No. Are we essentially listening to the ramblings of a guy stoned out his mind? Yes. Does that matter when it comes to great pop music? Absolutely not!. Emily Sutherland of Pitchfork branded "HYSTERIA" as a "panic attack of a song", "brilliantly batshit" and "a good dose of much-needed fun". Sutherland rounded out her review on a more mixed note, however, writing; "For as zany and experimental as it may be, The Zone still do themselves no favors in being marketed as a group for conspiracy theorists and a certain type of demographic."

Chris wrote:
"When I wrote this song, I was high as a kite. I was aware at the time that my thoughts might not be the most coherent or linear so I always planned to rework the notes I had made later down the line. When I looked back over what I had put down, however, it just sort of made more sense to be manic and all over the place. The song is essentially about how much of a mindfuck it is to navigate this world and all the emotions, expectations, responsibilities and requirements we have as flesh and blood. There's no rulebook and we didn't ask to be born. We're just here, having to deal with it. The track is really a stream of consciousness. I list off a bunch of contradictions I see going on. How we all tackle things differently. How we're the one species but there's so many different pockets striving for different things. How your dream is someone else's nightmare. How certain ideologies are praised, how some are torn down. It's hysterical in many ways. Being a human, living on this planet in 2024? It's a real fight. We seem to be in a constant state of fight or flight. Shit's chill for a week and then something drops that throws us through a loop. That's what I wanted to capture in this fucking nutty song!

Liam wrote:
"I totally got it when Chris played us what he was working on. I'm no stranger to a conspiracy or questioning the ways of the universe! To a lot of ears, the song seemed really rough and all over the place but that's what sold it. It was perfectly mad the way it was. I think that as scattershot as it may be, it has a universal appeal because I feel like everyone's all over the place at the moment. Not only did the song represent and resonate where we are as a collective race, but it also shone through what we're like behind closed doors as a band. We get high, talk about real shit, have worries and fears, have contrasting opinions. It's a weird little pop song but it's real. More real than all these picture-perfect love songs we've written. It just encompassed a lot of things so well. I really championed this to be a single and the album title."

Jason wrote:
"Chris is a wonderful writer and continuously floors me to this day. I believe this is why we never got that initial second album out back in the day after he left. The spark from his pen was just gone! I think that this is his most wonderful creation to date. On the surface, it can sounds really silly and simple, but when you really look into what's written, the questions being asked, the scenarios being highlighted, there's a real depth and a kind of sadness there. We really do live in such crazy times and so many of us are just searching for peace and comfort."

Blake wrote:
"This song is the ramblings of a madman. I love it. After Chris played us his first version and said he envisioned a frantic production behind it, I suggested we take it to Leland to amplify it. He's a DJ I've known for many years. Him and I actually did a track years back that never got released. I've always found his productions to be so intense and intricate without it sounding like straight-up noise. His work has many layers and elements while still sounding polished and precise. Chris did a wonderful job with the words and I knew putting it against a bouncy, glitchy Swedish beat would crank it up to an 11. This is for sure the whackiest thing we've ever done as a group and I can't think of opening up our new album in any other way."

"HYSTERIA"

All
Blake
Chris
Jason
Liam

Here comes the...
Here comes the...
Here comes the...
Here comes the...

It's a dog without a bone, yearning for a bite
Diving at my ankles, desperate for a fight
It's tired conversations leaving me braindead
The struggle to hit the floor when safe in bed
Some heads roll while the other side rocks
Some walk away, some don't know how to stop

Admitting there's an elephant standing in the room
That gut-churning sense of some impending doom
Trying to appease those who live for pleasure
Putting to ease the ones that are under pressure
Stealing the spotlight before you can blink
Feeling exposed and just dying to shrink

Ooh, baby, baby, I'm getting hysterical
Ah, ooh, baby, baby, I bang my head on the wall

Hysteria! Here it comes again
Hysteria! And it's giving me the bends
Never threaten me with a good time
I'll keep dancing 'til the fever bites
Grab a doctor, go grab a nurse
Have this feeling it'll only get worse
Hysteria! It's come to re-offend
Hysteria! The fun just never ends

What goes around, comes around
And if it goes up, it comes down

(Goes around and around, yeah)

Never feeling more alive when the empty bottle spins
Calling us to war over the stupidest little things
Finding who you really are when it all falls dark
Knowing your limits when swimming with the sharks
Someone else's drama giving you a rush
Breaking out in cold sweats when they know too much

Ooh, baby, baby, I'm getting hysterical
Ah, ooh, baby, baby, I bang my head on the wall

Hysteria! Here it comes again
Hysteria! And it's giving me the bends
Never threaten me with a good time
I'll keep dancing 'til the fever bites
Grab a doctor, go grab a nurse
Have this feeling it'll only get worse
Hysteria! It's come to re-offend
Hysteria! The fun just never ends

Can't seem to satisfy our hunger
And we're never getting any younger
Innocent dreams being turned into money
Mad at the stings with a handful of honey
Turning a blind eye to the madman's delight
Not sure what to do now, what a wonderful life

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 5 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 22/01/2024(UTC), erich hess on 22/01/2024(UTC), Head South Records on 22/01/2024(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 22/01/2024(UTC), C4AJoh on 22/01/2024(UTC)