logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline HellRaider  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2010 07:56:04(UTC)
HellRaider

Groups: Registered
Man

They are one of metal's most innovative and progressive bands. Epic orchestra's, insane riffing and massive song lengths yet they never lose track of the "song". We're talking about Transferium Project. Metal Hammer talked to bassist/vocalist Pauli Schwartz about the upcoming album, line-up changes and the new live show

UserPostedImage

MH: Hello Pauli, and welcome back in Germany
PS: Yeah, it's nice to be back for a while.

MH: Let's get to business right away. We are getting closer and closer to the release of your new album Out Of Nothing. I have already heard the review copy and the first thing I noticed was the style difference. Tell me more about that.
PS: After the release of The Necro Codex III: Disasterpieces we realized we were at the top of our sound. If we carried on in that direction it would be the Moscow Philharmonic with Transferium Project instead of Transferium Project with the Moscow Philharmonic. We simply couldn't get any more symphonic. And since we don't want to release two albums without any improvements we decided to go all the way back to IV: Orion. Orion featured less orchestra's and more synths. If you combine the synth sound of Orion with a TNC album you get our new album. We gave Alfredo pretty much carte blanche and he came up with all those futuristic, haunting keyboards. It gives the songs a dark feel.

MH: You used mainly an artificial orchestra but the Moscow Philharmonic is still credited. How come?
PS: Three songs were recorded with a real orchestra. They were Dream Oblivion, Equation Of Damnation and Kristallnacht. It just felt right to use it on those tracks.

MH: Equation Of Damnation could fit right on TNCIII...
PS: Yeah, you caught me, it's indeed a leftover. Freddy wrote it near the end of the sessions. But we were kinda sick of recording since at that point we had already spend two months recording. So we recorded a quick demo version and left it at that. The demo is really different from the album version since all of us, especially Anders weren't giving it our all. But it turned out really good.

MH: It's the first album with your new guitarist Daniel, how is he?
PS: Amazing. He is an amazing guitarplayer and a nice guy. He's got like two personalities. Offstage he is this cool, laidback dude and onstage he's a monster. He totally blew us away with his demo. Immediately after a rehearsal we knew that he was our man. He is a TP fan, so he knows most of the songs. He even knows some songs we have forgotten *laughs*

MH: How different is it to not have Vladimir in the band anymore. Daniel is a different player then he was. And why did Vlad leave?
PS: Vlad left because he wasn't satisfied with playing in the band anymore. He wasn't having fun. We knew it was coming yet it came as a surprise. Thank god he left just before the writing process for OoN. He is a great guy and a fantastic guitar player. Bt he was willing to record a balalaika track for us. He plays on Ascension Of The Winged Watchers.
He also longed back to Russia. He lives in Moscow with his wife and I heard he's having a child, which is great for him. He now plays with his brother in a heavy metal band called Heaven's Blessing. It's really good stuff. I can hear his style and the stuff he used to do with us in their songs. Fun fact: he is the main songwriter for them. Vlad never wrote much for us because he was a big fan of traditional hardrock/heavy metal and that was audible in his licks. Maybe we'll invite him to the stage if we play in Moscow. Time will tell.

MH: You have always been known for your live shows. Can you tell us about how that developed?
PS: Pffff, let's see. We started using flamepots because our songs we're nothing special, just plain old thrash metal. So we used flames to make us stand out. Gradually we used more and more and now, we're developing a really special stage set-up for the upcoming festivals.
I'm not going to reveal too much details but you can expect flames to shootout off all side of the stage. Just in case, we have made a backdrop on fireproof materials so that it won't catch flame. And we're going to lock someone in flames >:-)
We have also prepared a special cover song to play before The Vodka Polonaise to make it even more special.

MH: Any chance you will record that performance?
PS: *silence..then he whispers* How you know?

MH: Intuition.
PS: It's not a rumour on the internet?

MH: It could be now.
PS: Scheisse. Hold on, let me call someone. *phones* Ok, I got green light.

MH: From who?
PS: The management and the band. We're gonna let you have the scoop. Yes, we're going to record a show for a live dvd. Can't let you know which show it will be though.

MH: Nice! Should be amazing. Last question: any news on a new single?
PS: Yes, that was decided last week. The next single will be At The Gates Of Despair. You done now?

MH: Yes I am, thanks for the interview.
PS: No problem, greeting to all reading this and I hope to see you on the road or maybe even on the dvd. Later!

UserPostedImage
Out Of Nothing will be released 02/20
Transferium Project: Symphonic progressive melodic death metal
Carnage: Brutal old-school death metal
Ancient Legend: Progressive power/shred metal