logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Nimrods  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2010 05:48:09(UTC)
The Nimrods

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Progressive Metal band The Nimrods released their new album entitled "Sinister Visions" 6 weeks ago.The album has so far sold 1,247,673 copies.This album is a bit of a turn for The Nimrods with less progressiveness and more blatant technicality."You won't see lots of odd instrumentation or anything on this album" said frontman and guitarist Jimmy Him "we have clean parts all over,you know like clean instrumental outros and intros, and couple acoustic riffs, but nothing really odd besides dynamic changes and time signatures." The album is much heavier than the others "Because we were sick of feeling like we had to change to avoid criticism" said bassist Davey Matlock."We decided we were gonna have the same mentality when we released our first record, fuck it we're gonna do stuff like we want to.People saying like 'I think in a few albums you'll be full progressive' and shit like that, we don't need that, we aren't going to evolve into something other people want us to and we sure as hell aren't going to change our sound because some prick past his prime thinks we aren't progressive 'In a really mature way'.This was doing shit the way we wanted, unadulterated brutality." The majority of the album features heavily syncopated rhythm guitar with a solo break before choruses.The bass is prominent as usual though with a more driving force than a technical one.Matlock seems to have taken bass back to where it was supposed to be and enhanced it with accents and fills.Kit's drumming could be described as a mix of jazz and tribal music with the addition of blast beats and polyrhythms.The entire album as a whole would be described and Meshuggah/Decapitated/Death/Atheist with a bit of Suffocation thrown in though it is still completely original with no song actually sounding like the artists (OOC:When I say what it sounds like I'm trying to paint a picture I'm not saying it sounds like that.The album does not feature keyboards much except in some clean parts which helped make the sound more "brutal".This album also delves more into the aspect of groove with several breakdowns and groove parts in it,usually using polyrhythms which keeps the music more technically demanding."We were trying to make something that would take a while to learn how to play, something that isn't just something that you could pick up in five minutes." Says drummer Kit Saunders.The lead guitar on the album is a mix of neoclassical and jazz fusion making them stick out more, though the songs focus more on riffs and harmonies than long solos,however each one is definitely memorable.

Track Listing(part 1):

Sinister Vision (9:30)
This song is one hell of a title track.It opens with a jazzy bassline that is repeated a few times before an acoustic guitar comes in playing a single chord in a syncopated fashion then bursting into an electric heavy riff, this is repeated several times, each time a different heavy riff is played however the clean part remains the same.After this the song breaks into a barrage of heavy syncopated riffs with Jimmy Growling lower than ever.After an off-beat sounding groove is repeated a few times the song goes into its solo which begins as an array of technical sweeps and arpeggios and halfway through slows down into a lovely descending fusion riff.From there the song goes into a clean part where Jimmy sings a bit and then ends with a repeated riff with a simple lead on top of it, the song fadees out so it gradually gets quieter until there's a few seconds of silence.

Downward Spiral (7:32)
This one is nothing but evil riffs.From beginning to end it's intense technicality.Kit's blast beats sound full and intense, sometimes reaching into the 300's for bpm.Davey really fills in the empty space bass wise with lots of speedy runs and even some fretless bass work.This has Jimmy's best solo yet, full of emotion and a little technicality, it is truly beautiful,Jimmy's vocals are nothing but high pitched screams that Jimmy apparently did while cutting himself to make the vocals sound more tortured.Besides the solo the highlight of this song is the tribal breakdown in the middle which has intricate drumming from Kit with tons of double bass and tom work with an almost funky bassline from Davy and a few sustained notes from Jimmy.The end of the songs seems like 5 seconds of silence but Jimmy is actually whispering occult sayings in old Norse.

Vice (10:15)
This is probably the most angry song on the album and is about feeling forced to conform like being caught in a vice.The song is very reminiscent of black metal with atmospheric riffs and blast beat however it features a death metal breakdown,polyrhythm riffs, and death growling.It uses a lot of dissonance like the band Obscura with lots o pinch harmonic and notes that aren't a part of the key they're in.The song features a bass solo at the very beginning and at the end with plenty of techniques such as sweep picking and tapping.The solo on this song is more reminiscent of the 90s death metal solos with fast shredding passages and whammy bar dives.The song ends with a very syncopated outro in 16/12 time with a complicated pick style.The last lyrics of the song are said by Davey and are "We are enslaved,they will find you" giving the song a very scary aspect to it.

Edited by user 09 February 2010 05:49:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline Synxhard  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2010 10:52:10(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 16 post(s)
God dammit, you guys can't fucking right a shitty album if your lives depended on it. I mean, you guys are fucking dedicated enough to have Jimmy cut himself during vocal tracking (I hope you only had to do one or two takes on that one), and it really shows. As expected, I'm ecstatic this album's added groove orientation, considering pretty much anything I write is focused on having some groove to it. I gotta say, although the musicianship is phenomenal over all, Jimmy seriously stepped it up on the guitar work, and not just in the solo department. His most outstanding work, as far as my opinion goes, is all that riff-age on 'Downward Spiral', which is pretty much metal nirvana once you throw in Kit's blasting and the wicked bass runs. Keep it up.

-Jimmy
Black Gold Reign

He tends to rant when he's high, sorry bout that.

-Matt
Black Gold Reign

OOC: Really good job, nice amount of info to really imagine the songs, but not too much to the point where I wanna fuckin' shoot myself. Pretty evident you put some real effort into this.
Offline The Nimrods  
#3 Posted : 09 February 2010 11:01:59(UTC)
The Nimrods

Kit:Thanks man, we had so much shit left ove3r we had to let it out and here it is.
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline Gorloche  
#4 Posted : 09 February 2010 11:49:33(UTC)
Gorloche

Two things:

1) From the sounds of the songs I've heard, this sounds like your magnum opus. It has the heavy and the progressive in quantities and types that definitely give you your own sound. This is the first album you've released where it sounds completely like yourselves, and it is a thousand times better for that. Great job. This is a fantastic album.

2) I don't think Sudan is going to tour with you for your comment about me being a "prick past his prime". It's incredibly immature especially considering the fact that your reaction to my comments on BLEED wound up triggering you writing your best album. And, ironically enough, it is progressive in a mature way. And, if I had to describe this as anything, I'd say real progressive metal. Not Dream Theater carbon copy music, but something legitimately both progressive and heavy, like Riverside, Opeth, Arcturus, or Atheist.

- Daniel
Offline The Nimrods  
#5 Posted : 09 February 2010 11:51:55(UTC)
The Nimrods

Gorloche wrote:
Two things:

1) From the sounds of the songs I've heard, this sounds like your magnum opus. It has the heavy and the progressive in quantities and types that definitely give you your own sound. This is the first album you've released where it sounds completely like yourselves, and it is a thousand times better for that. Great job. This is a fantastic album.

2) I don't think Sudan is going to tour with you for your comment about me being a "prick past his prime". It's incredibly immature especially considering the fact that your reaction to my comments on BLEED wound up triggering you writing your best album. And, ironically enough, it is progressive in a mature way. And, if I had to describe this as anything, I'd say real progressive metal. Not Dream Theater carbon copy music, but something legitimately both progressive and heavy, like Riverside, Opeth, Arcturus, or Atheist.

- Daniel

Kit:What can I say, we're Nimrods, we'd love to tour with Suidan, but honestly we weren't thinking just venting, no hard feelings honestly, but if you still don't want us on tour that's fine, we're exhausted.

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline The Nimrods  
#6 Posted : 09 February 2010 11:53:41(UTC)
The Nimrods

OOC:Not trying to offend you by the way, just thought I'd make a little controversy, this is supposed to be like The Nimrods' backlash album at critics in general.

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline Regan  
#7 Posted : 09 February 2010 15:06:31(UTC)
Regan

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I've heard the songs on the tour and I am defintely loving the new album! Tour has been a blast and one of my favorites I've been on.
-Regan Futrell
thecerebral_collection:
quarantine | thewaitingroom | bunker18
Offline Gorloche  
#8 Posted : 10 February 2010 16:42:16(UTC)
Gorloche

(OOC: None taken! I understand the idea completely.)

Honestly, I shouldn't have reacted the way that I did. I was a bit peeved at your comment and just sort of jotted out a response, so I apologize for being childish, too. Honestly, we'd love to tour with you guys, especially with you having just released that album, which is just the best thing you guys have done. Our forums have been lighting up with lots of people talking about your album, too, so I know there's a crossover in terms of our audience. Good to see we both were being foolish.

- Daniel