logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2023 05:39:04(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19148 time(s) in 7605 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Billy
Title: The Entertainer
Genre(s): Hip-Hop, R&B, Electropop
Length: 4:59
Writer(s): B.Khan
Producer(s): Deneil
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: BILAL

The Entertainer is a song by British singer-songwriter Bilal Khan-Holmes, known mononymously as Billy, released as the sixth single from his upcoming debut studio album, "BILAL". After being teased throughout the spring, the track was officially released on July 7th, 2023 through Five Pesky Kids Records. An early version of the track was written and recorded as far back as 2019 before being overhauled and reworked during studio sessions in early 2023. "The Entertainer" follows on from the dual single release of "Safe Passage" and "XXXHIBITION", both of which went on to become #1 singles in their own rights with the latter now standing as Khan's biggest selling single to date. The song has been dubbed by Billy as his "most personal to date". The hip-hop inspired track garnered media attention upon release due to the song's gritty nature and Khan's decision to rap on the verses, drawing comparisons to the work of younger brother Deneil, who coincidentally produced the song.

Writing & Production

Lyrically, "The Entertainer" is braggadocious and seemingly a response to the treatment he has received from others throughout his time in the music industry. He alludes to themes such as racism and classism, referring to several negative stereotypes associated with people from poverty-stricken areas and the South Asian community within London. "The Entertainer" sees Billy take charge of his own narrative; dismissing accusations, playing up to certain parts of his persona and relaying all of his achievements and ambitions in the face of adversity. The chorus repeatedly asks the listeners; "Are you entertained yet?
"
It could be said that Khan plays a caricature, placing himself in the role of an "entertainer", simply letting critics and audiences talk and spectate while he enjoys the theatrics, seemingly unaffected. He makes unapologetic nods towards his hyper sexuality; "I'm in the booth with my cock out/Regular jester while I'm polishing my crown", as well as his previous assault accusations; "You know my type, oh so prone to violence".

In past interviews, Billy has stated how he, alongside fellow Weekend band members, were mocked and ridiculed when they debuted back in 2012 only for people to retrospectively recognise the doors Khan opened. He has also claimed that many men in the 2010s began to mimic his look and that labels and contemporary bands "wanted their own Billy". He nods to this with the lines; "I'm the daddy here and I ain't looking to foster/I know you got plenty of room on that dusty roster/Go ahead and sign another Billy imposter". Another scenario which many believe Billy refers to with the line "Girl bosses yearning for my embryo" is the controversial 2012 fling between Khan and rapper Mykaylah Landers. Many branded the dalliance as "unprofessional" and have since retrospectively noted the power imbalance, due to Khan being 18 years of age at the time while Mykaylah was his boss, signing Weekend to Angel Music Records. Infamous naked pictures of Billy intended for Landers' viewing also leaked at the time.

Sonically, "The Entertainer" is a hip-hop and R&B song with elements of trip-hop and electropop woven throughout the track. It has been described as Billy's "darkest" sounding release yet. Opening with unnerving, siren-like synths, a "swaggering" hip-hop beat with booming drums soon kicks in as Billy begins to deliver his lines. The American inspired hip-hop sounds marrying with Billy's thick London accent provides a unique sonic experience. Production of the song builds throughout, growing more "intense" in sound with distorted vocal effects, sharp strings and glass-shattering sound effects all coming into play as the song reaches its crescendo, Khan going from a more subdued performance on earlier chorus, to belting out high notes and ad-libs through the latter parts. Khan's rapping has drawn praise in the past with his core fanbase knowing it as a "secret" skill of his, with the public experiencing it officially on the "Bad Boy Refix" of Suzie's "Bad Behavior" in 2021. His rap performance on "The Entertainer" has received acclaim, being compared favourably to Deneil, and noted for how confident and effortless it all comes across.

Background & Release

The track was originally written and demoed in 2019. Khan initially planned for the song to be released as his second official single, but instead opted for "Gemini". Keeping hold of the track for several years, Billy grew less enamoured with parts of the production and numerous lines. Still a fan of the overall song, Khan maintained plans to rework and officially release the song one day. It wouldn't be until February 2023 when Billy and younger brother Deneil would work on the track once again. According to Billy, "The Entertainer" went from being a "really good, 3 minute standard track" to an "episodic, gritty 5 minute epic" after receiving its overhaul. The singer claims that the song is "one of [his] most important to date" and that the initial release was postponed in order to get the track "completely and utterly 100% right". "The Entertainer" was released over a year after his double-A side effort "Safe Passage" / "XXXHIBITION". Khan has stated multiple times that he "moves at [his] own pace" and that he wants to give each single its own "moment" before the entire album drops. Khan also held off from an initial June 2023 release as that month "XXXHIBITION" charted at #1 on Chart Heat once again following a viral TikTok trend. "The Entertainer" finally received an official release on July 7th.

Billy wrote:
"I've been called many things in my time. Some complimentary, some not so much. There are people who get me, there are those who don't. I divide a lot of opinions. People struggle to box me in and it infuriates them. I know myself that I'm a bunch of things and a living, breathing exception to the "norm". When I set about to create an album opener, I wanted something that set the tone and really introduced myself, as well as the journey the listener was about to embark on. I struggled to narrow down a concept at first because I'm so many things to so many people. I then realised that, regardless of which side of the fence you sit on when it comes to your opinion of me, I'm still seen as an entertainer. The music, the stories, the posts. Whether it's out of love and support or hate-viewing to leave fucked up comments, I'm still providing engagement. I entertain your pleasures, pure and impure. I took that concept and started to think about all the ways I've had tongues wagging over the years. Sometimes it's intentional for the shits and giggles. Other times, I get essays written about me for merely existing."

"I'm not squeaky clean but I'm not the root of all evil, either. I'm a regular person whose life has been amplified. I'm not bred for this. I'm not media trained, wasn't born into wealth or some dynasty. Unlike a lot of robotic industry cash cows with nothing to say and no single original thought in their head, I'm actually human. It would really fucking piss me off how I used to treated just for who I am. A lot of elitist pricks and snobs in the industry and press turning their nose up at me because of where I was from, how I grew up, because I wasn't all prim and proper. Although it's from a personal perspective, I also want this track to mirror and connect with the average Joe as well. So what if you're a bit rough around the edges? So what if you like to shag around? So what if you're from a rundown housing estate? Embrace it. That's character. That's personality. I purposely embellish and magnify all my mischief on this track because it's ok to be a bit colourful. I think raw experience and human connection can often be lacking in music because a lot of artists try on false personas and aesthetics to market new "eras". This is a proper Billy song."

"Having said that, it did take some time to get the track sounding exactly how I wanted. If it was going to represent me and reflect where I came from and all my musical influences, it had to be just right and done with absolute precision. Neily and I went over it so many times. We'd get a "final" version done and then listening back, there'd be like 10 seconds in the second verse that just wasn't sitting right on my ears so we'd pull it apart again. Reworking a certain put would then offset the balance of a later section. It took a minute to reach that sweet spot but we got there. For me, "The Entertainer" is like a marriage between the steely streets of Hackney and the big American R&B stars of the 90s who inspired me to do better. I knew I had to rap on the track. I knew I had to get this lovely accent across and really mentally cement the listeners into picturing London at nightfall. I like to think it's a very visual track that takes you on a journey. The rapping is very homey, raw and grounded in a sense of fucked up reality while the big, dramatic beats feel like something big and life-changing is just around the corner."

"It's a big track and different to anything I've released before. Definitely the best representation of me as an artist and just as a person. I know the artistic choices and certain lines are going to have people talking but that's the point. Fuck with it or ridicule me. Do with it what you will. I'm just here to entertain."

Critical Reception

"The Entertainer" received generally positive reviews upon release, with many critics calling it Billy's best release to date. Writing for Clash, Philip McCormick stated that the song is "brimming with beats and bravado but ultimately autobiographical and thought-provoking at its core". Juliet Gordon of The Guardian dubbed it as "100% Billy personified". Gordon further lamented; "A seemingly untouchable and often comical figure, Billy never breaks character nor simply breaks in general. We'll never get a heart-breaking, woe is me piano ballad from Khan. Sharp beats and foul-mouthed one-liners, that is how Billy gets real and connects with his audience on a human level." Consequence's Amma Khorsandi claims that "The Entertainer" perfectly encapsulates the "angst" of Billy and believes that several lines of the song will "set social media alight". David Colbein of Pitchfork lauded the song, writing; "with its ice cold beats, biting lyricism, dramatic escalation in production alongside Billy's IDGAF swagger, "The Entertainer" is a 5 minute thrill ride that sets the adrenaline rushing and hands trembling over the replay button." Lucy Harrison of Dork praised the production, saying; "that beat is just as filthy as some of the statements Billy makes." Khans rapping skills have also been highlighted and praised. Nicholas Rivera of Gigwise compared him to a "slightly softer sounding" Deneil before stating that Khan's pen must have been "absolutely ablaze" as he wrote his "sickening bars". Keisha Wyatt from Rolling Stone also opined; "In this early foray into rap, Bilal sounds as if he's been doing this for a lifetime". Wyatt then concluded by stating that Khan can "deliver pars with the best of them".

"THE ENTERTAINER"

"If I'm offbeat blame my white side!"

It's time to take this all back to basics
Unplug the fluorescents, man, fuck the matrix
Take a breather from these mysterious places
Uppercut some of these mad quizzical faces
Dictated daily in the name of Christianity
Crucify and kill me with philosophies
Mere existence burns down all their ideologies
Wait 'til they learn that I'm the fucking prophecy
I feed the 5000 when I hop on the timeline
Gimme crumbs, still make sure you all dine
Pour me water and I'll turn it to fine wine
Parting of the waves? Yeah, I'm a proverbial landmine
Only break bread 'cause I rather enjoy a luncheon
Must be off my head, en route to Tower of London
It's alright, mate, I grew up in these dungeons
And I kinda get off on pain and punishin'
Testing thresholds, you know, it's kind of a hobby
No safe word but I still trust nobody
Ain't meeting no fucking suit in a lobby
Kinky boy but don't need screwed in a hurry
I'm the daddy here and I ain't looking to foster
I know you got plenty of room on that dusty roster
Go ahead and sign another Billy imposter
But as long as I'm around none shall ever prosper
See, I'm thee entertainer, whole world's my stage
And behind the scenes is the whole way I paved
Thanks to me, your entire life's been saved
Something to wag your tongue about besides the rain

Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
I could always pull out another showstopper
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Get your teeth around this fucking jaw-dropper
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained? Bet.

You'd think my spectacle would be a work of fiction
Seen the mean streets and got lost in the system
Kids I shared snacks with have died of addiction
I picked up a pen, refused to become a victim
Hopped on the mic and I'm gonna spray now
Bleeding through with the ink, 'bout to get loud
But on a lighter note, I'm in the booth with my cock out
Regular jester while I'm polishing my crown
Bilal Khan MBE, my good sir
It's still fuck the Royals, I'm just a great actor
Smiling in the faces of all the clowns and wankers
Deserve another medal for subduing this anger
Channelling it all to spark some creativity
Used to turning pain to some productivity
Giving a little something back to my community
Hoping this big mouth leaves some kind of legacy
And if it's not for you, you can just move on
If it goes over your head, doesn't mean it's wrong
I know it's scary hearing a brown man spitting a rude song
Even worse when your daughters start singing along
Whoa there, Karen, I'm not wanting your chit-chat
Have a fucking break, here, gnaw on this Kit-Kat
Clutch your pearl necklace and you're lucky to have that
'Cause he only cums on your chest, terrified of that twat
So sorry, should I cue the violins?
You know my type, oh so prone to violence
Everywhere I go, I'm tailed by an ambulance
Surprised you could even hear me over the sirens

Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?

Out here can get real crazy
I've seen shadows move so shady
Death threats from overblown CEOs
Girl bosses yearning for my embryo
Gratification may be a sickness
It's compensation for what I've witnessed
I'll roll with the punches, take the hits
Learned to survive with my bag of tricks
'Cause I know some people like to say I'm trouble
But guess who was on the phone, offering me double...

Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?

Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained yet?
Are you entertained?

Fucking bet.

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 11 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 08/07/2023(UTC), Cerys Nyland on 08/07/2023(UTC), erich hess on 08/07/2023(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 08/07/2023(UTC), C4AJoh on 08/07/2023(UTC), freestylechamp on 08/07/2023(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 09/07/2023(UTC), PANIC! on 11/07/2023(UTC), kandii on 18/07/2023(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 19/07/2023(UTC), Stephyfierce35 on 20/07/2023(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#2 Posted : 08 July 2023 06:01:55(UTC)
2001clay

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3547 time(s) in 1270 post(s)
Camille Preston: alright Billy nice to see you with that comeback smash hit already

Midnight20: we love your comeback single

Edited by user 08 July 2023 06:09:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 08/07/2023(UTC)
Online freestylechamp  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2023 23:52:07(UTC)
freestylechamp

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Chris: you really need to have an ego to be billy. I'm surprised there isn't a dating sim where you try to impress him,

Jake: weren't you like given a threesome with him and Chicago and you chicken out?

Chris: Shut up! I'm a one person man for real.

Tyler he remember Billy huge piece and thought better of it.

Chris: Chicago is like my limit, my hip be sore and it hard to walk. Still doing that Dating sim and putting all of this end there.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 09/07/2023(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2023 03:36:04(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Camille Preston: alright Billy nice to see you with that comeback smash hit already

Midnight20: we love your comeback single

Billy: Thank you all for the kind words. Appreciate it massively!

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Chris: you really need to have an ego to be billy. I'm surprised there isn't a dating sim where you try to impress him,

Jake: weren't you like given a threesome with him and Chicago and you chicken out?

Chris: Shut up! I'm a one person man for real.

Tyler he remember Billy huge piece and thought better of it.

Chris: Chicago is like my limit, my hip be sore and it hard to walk. Still doing that Dating sim and putting all of this end there.

Billy: I'm harder to impress than Shania Twain. And yes, where the fuck is that threesome? The Entertainer likes to be entertained sometimes!

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 19/07/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 19 July 2023 17:21:30(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8589 time(s) in 2692 post(s)
Kara: This fuckin' track! The best version of Billy is the one standing at the top of the mountain, beating his fuckin' chest. I think at this point there is no way that "BILAL" the album isn't the most anticipated album of all time and the fact that you've kept teasing us with it for so long is actually so true to yourself. There's not a thing in this world that can stop you in whatever you do and that is fuckin' wild, you could shift through genre's and remain at the top, you could go away for six years and come back at the top. You can do and say whatever the fuck you want. And the key to all of this, is that the stuff that you create is untouchable. Nobody can do what the fuck you do, as a songwriter, as a performer, as a personality as a creative mind. All we can do is bow down to the king!

OOC: Amazing work on this track, it's ridiculous how you never miss and just a testament to how talented you are in all aspects from the artwork to the description and detail to the lyrics. Outstanding as always and that "BILAL" album will be the pinnacle I'm sure. It will be unmatched, I'm certain!
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 19/07/2023(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#6 Posted : 31 July 2023 10:49:20(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Kara: This fuckin' track! The best version of Billy is the one standing at the top of the mountain, beating his fuckin' chest. I think at this point there is no way that "BILAL" the album isn't the most anticipated album of all time and the fact that you've kept teasing us with it for so long is actually so true to yourself. There's not a thing in this world that can stop you in whatever you do and that is fuckin' wild, you could shift through genre's and remain at the top, you could go away for six years and come back at the top. You can do and say whatever the fuck you want. And the key to all of this, is that the stuff that you create is untouchable. Nobody can do what the fuck you do, as a songwriter, as a performer, as a personality as a creative mind. All we can do is bow down to the king!

OOC: Amazing work on this track, it's ridiculous how you never miss and just a testament to how talented you are in all aspects from the artwork to the description and detail to the lyrics. Outstanding as always and that "BILAL" album will be the pinnacle I'm sure. It will be unmatched, I'm certain!

Billy: Thank you so much, Kara. I wanted this song to be the embodiment of no inhibitions and tell just one small part of a big story. I know I say some mad shit on here and it was a cathartic process but that's the point. Pure expression and entertainment without censorship, editing and boundaries. That's what I want to be and feel as an artist and, as you mentioned, shifting genres is part of that. I don't believe in goal posts in the studio. We should always create what we want to. If that inner voice is prodding you to try a rap then there's a reason for it. Thanks for the continuous love and support. I'm really hoping this fucking album hits the right spot when it finally drops haha!

OOC: Awww thank you so much!! Always appreciate the kind words especially when it comes to someone like Billy as he's one of my favourite characters. Always want to do right by him. The fact that this is a rap (which isn't my forte) also made me a bit anxious...hence the delay! Comments like this give me the courage to forge ahead with projects and truly boosts my confidence as a writer so I thank you endlessly! Much appreciated :)
UserPostedImage