logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline old.gregg  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2009 00:57:24(UTC)
old.gregg

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
There's the question! Do you think that science is a religion? Debattte.

As for me, do I think science is a religion? No. I think this because science can be proven (as far as anything can actually be proven, at least) where as religion can't. With science you can test things thoroughly. Personally, I'm not a follower of any religion and follow science, I very rarely have thoughts that there might be something 'out there'. One of the biggest places for conflict with science is creationism vs. evolution, and here I'd side with evolution as a theory purely because to my ears it sounds far more plausible than creationism.
-
Offline Captain Insano  
#2 Posted : 14 September 2009 01:23:37(UTC)
Captain Insano

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Not to me...the big difference between science and religion is that science asks questions..religion does not.
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline Thorgrim  
#3 Posted : 14 September 2009 02:20:46(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

Yes.
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#4 Posted : 14 September 2009 02:25:00(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Religion can be proven to you if you believe. Many Christians feel the holy spirit and see visions that God gives them because they believe.
Offline ++__++  
#5 Posted : 14 September 2009 02:39:53(UTC)
++__++

So if there was a big raping spaghetti monster, you'd think it was real without any evidence because you "believe"?
#6 Posted : 14 September 2009 02:43:07(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

++__++ wrote:
So if there was a big raping spaghetti monster, you'd think it was real without any evidence because you "believe"?

No because I didn't see it.

But that's the thing, when it comes to Christianity you must believe in order to know what I am saying. I say this from experience, the thing is that I am 2 face to the lord and I am not setting a good example, but I am going to tell you what I experienced it is up to you to believe me or not. We are all individual souls.
Offline ++__++  
#7 Posted : 14 September 2009 02:43:47(UTC)
++__++

stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:

But that's the thing, when it comes to Christianity you must believe in order to know what I am saying. I say this from experience, the thing is that I am 2 face to the lord and I am not setting a good example, but I am going to tell you what I experienced it is up to you to believe me or not. We are all individual souls.

So you saw god?
#8 Posted : 14 September 2009 02:44:30(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:

So you saw god?

NO!

I felt the holy spirit.
Offline ++__++  
#9 Posted : 14 September 2009 02:45:13(UTC)
++__++

stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:

So you saw god?

NO!

I felt the holy spirit.

But how you do know it was the "holy spirit" as you say?
#10 Posted : 14 September 2009 02:46:41(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:

So you saw god?

NO!

I felt the holy spirit.

Because the feeling was unexplainable and I felt it in church as the pastor was praying on me and I accepting Jesus as my savior.
Offline forkboy  
#11 Posted : 14 September 2009 02:48:56(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Religion can be proven to you if you believe. Many Christians feel the holy spirit and see visions that God gives them because they believe.

No, no it cannot. Belief does not equal proof. Proof is actual empirical evidence. I believe that we have evolved from a common ancestor that we share with chimpanzees because of the evidence in the fossil record. I believe that the earth is 4.5 billion years because of ageing tests of the oldest rocks found on this planet. I see no similar evidence of the entire universe being created in 6 days, of us being created as a species by some sort of divine figure (or figures, polythiestic religions are really no different) or so on, so forth. You are free to believe what you want, but it cannot be proven.

And no, I don't think you can really compare science to religions. I really don't get where that arguement comes from. Science is more or less the anithesis of religion, it requires solid fact, tested repeatedly, as opposed to wishy washy faith where you accept something that cannot possibly be proven. I could grudgingly accept that the Big Bang Theory for the beginning of the universe requires a lot of belief because it is not a particularly intuitive concept for our brains to accept, though there is still at least circumstantial evidence. Besides, cosmology like that really does point out a big plus point of religion. It's open-mindedness, which religion does not have. While it may take a while for attitudes to change from one theory that was so common to another, it does eventually occur, religion however is wrapped in Dogma. Science is far more fluid, the conclusions change when the evidence changes.
#12 Posted : 14 September 2009 02:51:25(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Anyway, I felt the holy spirit and it was a good experience, I feel shameful sometimes because I am not setting a good example of being a Christian.
One thing I will never forget is the feeling.
Offline ++__++  
#13 Posted : 14 September 2009 02:52:04(UTC)
++__++

stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:

So you saw god?

NO!

I felt the holy spirit.

Because the feeling was unexplainable and I felt it in church as the pastor was praying on me and I accepting Jesus as my savior.

Doesn't necessarily have to be the "holy spirit". You see, the modern day religions are all extremely primitive. They are full of flaws, because the religion was created by people who thought that dragons exist and that rabbits lay eggs from a dead man. These thoughts were created in order to explain things that people back then could not, since they had limited science. They (christians) speak with very enticing and intriguing words, but that is it. If you actually believe all they say is the supreme society and lifestyle, then I pity you Steph.
#14 Posted : 14 September 2009 03:02:20(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:

So you saw god?

NO!

I felt the holy spirit.

Doesn't necessarily have to be the "holy spirit". You see, the modern day religions are all extremely primitive. They are full of flaws, because the religion was created by people who thought that dragons exist and that rabbits lay eggs from a dead man. These thoughts were created in order to explain things that people back then could not, since they had limited science. They (christians) speak with very enticing and intriguing words, but that is it. If you actually believe all they say is the supreme society and lifestyle, then I pity you Steph.

It was the holy spirit. Because it says it on the bible.

The religion was not created by people who believed in Dragons and whatever you are talking about, if you are talking about Revelations, that is something completely different. No one is claiming my thoughts, what I felt was what I felt. My pastor speaks like any other human being (only with respect and all that good stuff), he doesn't see himself any different in the human side just because he is a pastor. He just speaks the word and what god speaks within him. There are many things you are ignorant about chirstinanity that you just won't understand unless you go to church. But you don't just go to church, you must put believe in it to understand it.
God will give you the knowledge to understand if you put believe in it, trust me.

If you pity me thats your problem because my job is to speak the truth as a Christian and if you don't believe that is your problem my friend. Like said before we all have individual souls.

Edited by user 14 September 2009 03:06:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ++__++  
#15 Posted : 14 September 2009 03:06:43(UTC)
++__++

stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:

So you saw god?

NO!

I felt the holy spirit.

The religion was not created by people who believed in Dragons and whatever you are talking about, if you are talking about Revelations, that is something completely different. No one is claiming my thoughts, what I felt was what I felt. My pastor speaks like any other human being (only with respect and all that good stuff), he doesn't see himself any different in the human side just because he is a pastor. He just speaks the word and what god speaks within him. There are many things you are ignorant about chirstinanity that you just won't understand unless you go to church. But you don't just go to church, you must put believe in it to understand it.
God will give you the knowledge to understand if you put believe in it, trust me.

If you pity me thats your problem because my job is to speak the truth as a Christian and if you don't believe that is your problem my friend. Like said before we all have individual souls.

First of all) I bleieve

That is why I'm saying your beliefs have no defending standpoints. As a Nihilist, I simply despise all other religions because they are all too folly and ridiculous. I'm sorry to offend anyone, but I have my opinions, just like any one of you.
#16 Posted : 14 September 2009 03:08:51(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:

So you saw god?

NO!

I felt the holy spirit.

First of all) I bleieve

That is why I'm saying your beliefs have no defending standpoints. As a Nihilist, I simply despise all other religions because they are all too folly and ridiculous. I'm sorry to offend anyone, but I have my opinions, just like any one of you.

You are not offending me, I know you have an opinion and I also have mine.
Offline ++__++  
#17 Posted : 14 September 2009 03:12:25(UTC)
++__++

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how christianity can actually be a religion used in all ages of humanity.
Offline Gildermershina  
#18 Posted : 14 September 2009 03:14:17(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
One major difference that religious anti-science people seem unable to grasp is that science is a process. Evolution, or any other "theory" is designed to be questioned and examined. Scientists don't care if a theory turns out to be wrong, because if it does new things are learnt in the process. Science itself has no agenda beyond the truth. Organised religion can make no such claim.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
#19 Posted : 14 September 2009 03:14:51(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

++__++ wrote:
I'm sorry, but I just don't see how christianity can actually be a religion used in all ages of humanity.

I see your point, maybe there needs to be a new bible written because some things on it seem a bit old old school.

As Christians we ourselves argue that but there is just one thing we all agree on , and that's the ten commandments (Which is the reason why I believe god loves gays).
Offline ++__++  
#20 Posted : 14 September 2009 03:18:33(UTC)
++__++

I believe our existance is pointless, and no matter what we do, that's the way it'll be. So live life however the fuck you want to, since there are no reasons not to.