logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Aj  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2009 09:11:16(UTC)
Aj

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
So I'm slightly worried this might have already been discussed, but oh well. So what are your opinions on Plastic Surgery ? Is is immoral to change what you are born with or is it okay seeing as it makes certain people 'happier'.

In my opinion I think you should just be happy with what you've got. Dying your hairs pretty much as far as I'd be happy with. I don't think it's right, if your ugly your ugly and the more you get worried about it the worse it will become for you.

Edited by user 06 December 2009 08:16:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Mt. Epic  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2009 09:23:44(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
why not change your appearance? you do it everyday with shampoo, toothbrushes, combs, tanning salons, etc. Plastic Surgery is on a bigger scale i understand, but still, it's the same concept. That's my argument against religious people. But if you are like me, where your religion isn't about reading a book which the writers were afraid to go into a full cave of gold just because they thought the big bad ghosts would come out with no evidence, and not to sound like complete pussies they call it "Satan's rage" so they can still bone that hot chick, who will still reject you because you taught her about a higher power to sound all valiant and righteous, and you will get all pissed off for tellin' that story, so you walk around killing random people, to which people call you "acursed" and you're like "fuck you beetch!" and then you get shot, but you're about to die, and that chick from before comes up and says "sorry", and you say "you just couldn't let me into your pants", and she's like you told me not to from before, and you're like "Shit!", then go ahead and tell Jimmy that he will have to park his own car.....wait, what am i talkin' about again?

Edited by user 05 December 2009 09:26:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline Gildermershina  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2009 09:36:42(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
You know what's worse than someone who looks ordinary and plain? People in their 30s with immovable faces.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2009 11:21:29(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Aj wrote:
So I'm slightly worried this might have already been discussed, but oh well. So what are your opinions on Plastic Surgery ? Is is immoral to change what you are born with or is it okay seeing as it makes certain people 'happier'.

In my opinion I think you should just be happy with what you've got. Dying your hairs pretty much as far as I'd be happy with. I don't think it's right, if your ugly your ugly and the more you get worried about it the worse it will become for you.

Yeah. But that's fair enough if you are anything from average and above in appearance. Or fuck, even if you are a total uggo, but self-confident. The problem is with people who have little confidence in their own self-worth, physically, mentally or otherwise. Now I think plastic surgery is stupid myself, but I can upto a point understand why people do it. I mean everyone (WARNING! GENERALISATION!) wants to stay looking fairly young forever. How many people want to become wrinkly, saggy old bags of shit? I certainly don't think it's immoral to go under the knife for aesthetic reasons. I'd not do it myself, but immoral? No. Murder is immoral. Rape is immoral. Capitalism is immoral? Feeling self-concious? Not so bad really, in the scheme of things.

Of course I also agree with Paul in that the people who get botox and can't move their facial muscles look ridiculous, but it's a personal choice and is ultimately not fuck all to do with you or me. Whatever makes you happy in your self, that's really what matters.
Offline old.gregg  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2009 11:22:11(UTC)
old.gregg

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Plastic surgery for reconstruction is a brilliant thing, it can really help with injuries and reduce their long term effect. However, cosmetic surgery is something that doesn't bother me too much, personally. If you want it done then get it done, it has to be pretty professional for people not to know that you've had something done and it's expensive. The problem starts when people get addicted to cosmetic surgery and totally distorts who they are. Thing is, if you're 'ugly' and you're just told to live with it you're not going to want to. If the options there and you're in the position to take it then go for it, it doesn't bother me particularly.
-
Offline forkboy  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2009 11:25:52(UTC)
forkboy

old.gregg wrote:
Plastic surgery for reconstruction is a brilliant thing, it can really help with injuries and reduce their long term effect. However, cosmetic surgery is something that doesn't bother me too much, personally. If you want it done then get it done, it has to be pretty professional for people not to know that you've had something done and it's expensive. The problem starts when people get addicted to cosmetic surgery and totally distorts who they are. Thing is, if you're 'ugly' and you're just told to live with it you're not going to want to. If the options there and you're in the position to take it then go for it, it doesn't bother me particularly.

Indeed. The world seems unjust, you are but the sum of your parents genes and that is hardly fair.

I surely can't be the only one who feels the question itself has verged into the absurd can I? I mean maybe I just have distinct views on morality, but the idea of trying to make you feel comfortable in your own skin whilst hurting nobody else hardly strikes me as all that immoral.
Offline Raphaela  
#7 Posted : 05 December 2009 11:34:20(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
I personally see no problem on it.
Sure that botox is horrid in great quantities (well, all plastic surgeries are horrid in great quantities), but I don't see an issue if you have a problem with the genes you got (big nose, etc).
I personally want to have plastic surgeries in the future, I almost had one this year, but money was the problem.
Luckily my cousin is doing med school to be a plastic surgeon! :P

Edited by user 05 December 2009 11:38:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline troymazing  
#8 Posted : 05 December 2009 11:56:42(UTC)
troymazing

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It doesn't really bother me. My mother is quite a fan (she's been worked on three times) and they all came out fine. But there are some people that go crazy over the surgery and end up looking wayyy worse.
GirlSpice wrote:
Oh well.. she sits outside then. LOL!

Offline Paradox  
#9 Posted : 06 December 2009 00:18:17(UTC)
Paradox

Man

it creates a mentality that the shell is all that matters, so yeah it has no morality
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Offline forkboy  
#10 Posted : 06 December 2009 00:31:24(UTC)
forkboy

Paradox wrote:
it creates a mentality that the shell is all that matters, so yeah it has no morality

That idea was around before cosmetic surgery and is much to do with western attitudes.
Offline Paradox  
#11 Posted : 06 December 2009 00:52:35(UTC)
Paradox

Man

forkboy wrote:
Paradox wrote:

That idea was around before cosmetic surgery and is much to do with western attitudes.

But this accentuates it
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Offline forkboy  
#12 Posted : 06 December 2009 01:03:05(UTC)
forkboy

I think it's more of an effect than a cause to be honest.
Offline Captain Insano  
#13 Posted : 06 December 2009 01:22:51(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Well if people want to spend thousands of dollars in their pursuit of their perceptions of perfection or even just to alter certain features like enlarging breast size (I will champion this cause!) or reduce the size of their noses and so on, then thats their thing...they can waste their money how they like. Its not hurting anybody else.
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline Thorgrim  
#14 Posted : 06 December 2009 04:39:19(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

I support breast enlargements. Dancing
Offline Aj  
#15 Posted : 06 December 2009 07:27:00(UTC)
Aj

Man

forkboy wrote:
old.gregg wrote:

Indeed. The world seems unjust, you are but the sum of your parents genes and that is hardly fair.

I surely can't be the only one who feels the question itself has verged into the absurd can I? I mean maybe I just have distinct views on morality, but the idea of trying to make you feel comfortable in your own skin whilst hurting nobody else hardly strikes me as all that immoral.

There are lots of religious people etc. that disagree with it, and also the morals of actually letting someone go after the pursuit of perfection has it's moral problems.
Offline TheCDs  
#16 Posted : 06 December 2009 07:41:27(UTC)
TheCDs

Aj wrote:
forkboy wrote:
old.gregg wrote:

There are lots of religious people etc. that disagree with it, and also the morals of actually letting someone go after the pursuit of perfection has it's moral problems.

I think this is more of an ethical question than a moral question. To me ethics is a question of what you should or should not do. That is it is not ethical for a reporter to take gifts from the subject of their story, but it isn't inherently wrong. Morality to me deals with the issue of right vs. wrong. It is immoral to harm another human being, etc. Also, morals are generally accepted across an entire culture or society where as ethics are a bit more debatable and narrow. Journalists have a set of ethics, doctors have a set of ethics, and so on.

Edited by user 06 December 2009 07:43:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Aj  
#17 Posted : 06 December 2009 07:44:07(UTC)
Aj

Man

TheCDs wrote:
Aj wrote:
forkboy wrote:
old.gregg wrote:

I think this is more of an ethical question than a moral question. To me ethics is a question of what you should or should not do. That is it is not ethical for a reporter to take gifts from the subject of their story, but it isn't inherently wrong. Morality to me deals with the issue of right vs. wrong. It is immoral to harm another human being, etc. Also, morals are generally accepted across an entire culture or society where as ethics are a bit more debatable and narrow. Journalists have a set of ethics, doctors have a set of ethics, and so on.

Well there kind of the same thing aren't they? It's just saying if it's right for you to do something or if it's wrong for you to do it?
Offline TheCDs  
#18 Posted : 06 December 2009 07:47:46(UTC)
TheCDs

Aj wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
Aj wrote:
forkboy wrote:
old.gregg wrote:

Well there kind of the same thing aren't they? It's just saying if it's right for you to do something or if it's wrong for you to do it?

They really aren't, at least in my mind. Is there anything wrong with not tipping your waiter/waitress? No, and society won't have your head for it, its not a moral choice. Should you tip your waiter/waitress if the service was good or excellent? Society's ethics dictate that you should. Again its not right and wrong, its should and should not. I can do something I should not do without doing something wrong.

Edited by user 06 December 2009 07:48:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Aj  
#19 Posted : 06 December 2009 08:16:04(UTC)
Aj

Man

TheCDs wrote:
Aj wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
Aj wrote:
forkboy wrote:
old.gregg wrote:

They really aren't, at least in my mind. Is there anything wrong with not tipping your waiter/waitress? No, and society won't have your head for it, its not a moral choice. Should you tip your waiter/waitress if the service was good or excellent? Society's ethics dictate that you should. Again its not right and wrong, its should and should not. I can do something I should not do without doing something wrong.

Ah, I see your point now. Sorry, I'll change the name of the thread.
Offline TheCDs  
#20 Posted : 06 December 2009 09:48:41(UTC)
TheCDs

I have no problem with people getting cosmetic surgeries. What bothers me is the people who push others to get such surgeries. For instance, wealthy parents (mothers usually) who push their daughter to have this or that done to fix their appearance, or the doctor who through suggestion "up-sells" you. You may have went in for a simple nose job but the doc noticed some lines under your eyes, he can probably get those out, for an extra cost of course.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is