logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gorloche  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2010 10:04:56(UTC)
Gorloche

Groups: Registered

We've begun writing demos for our new album, now that all the working parts of The Maw of Satan have been released. Right now, we have two demos completely finished, entitled Reason's Usurper and The Deceiver's Bathysphere. They're each a bit on the lengthy side right now, but we intend to trim them down. We deliberately are focusing on a more classic metal sound, with NWOBHM, speed metal, thrash, tech metal, early prog metal and post-metal being the building blocks, roughly in that order. This is a direct response to feeling like we were writing too many long songs that didn't have as much punch.

Reason's Usurper

The demo begins with a harmonized speed metal riff between me and Derek which gradually grows in complexity for about a minute or so. We then start changing our individual lines to make them more independent and interlocking. Baph and Harry enter with a thrash rhythm around a minute and a half into the song, which we jam on for about a minute. Vocals come in at this point, which me using a kind of harsh thrash tone line Coroner or Kreator. Between verses, we switch into more highly-technical riffs like early Fates Warning before returning to the thrash groove. After four verses, we break into the bridge, which is in a far more progressive thrash feel, like Voivod meets Watchtower, save for the final line, which is more direct. After the final line of the bridge, "Haunted by reason's usurper", we break into instrumental territory. Baph switches to a more direct fast double-bass pattern without getting into blast territory while Harry plays his best Testament impression on bass. Derek solos first, followed by me. His is much more raw and faster but tosses in some rather difficult technical exercises, like a Judas Priest-inspired shred pattern based on the E string leading into a sweep including false harmonics leading him to the high e string, where he ends the solo on a climbing spidery sounding bit between the e and B strings. My solo is more melodic and based a lot on legato phrasing (we balanced the solos with the Judas Priest/Iron Maiden guitar sides in mind) and uneven phrases with changing time-signatures; yes, the riff changes underneath me, too. After I am done with my solo, we go into a very progressive, technical instrumental section focusing on rhythm and heaviness instead of shredding, like a much faster Isis, peppered with more classic speed and NWOBHM-style riffs. This leads back into a refrain of the bridge, leading out into a final climbing harmonized guitar bit before finishing.

Write up of The Deceiver's Bathysphere coming soon. Also, these titles are still works in progress, as evidenced by how they are demos and not finished tunes.

- Daniel
Offline old.gregg  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2010 10:13:26(UTC)
old.gregg

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
JC: Wow, guys. I'm not a metal fan, but I've always looked up to your work. Your talent's pretty obvious, so I look forward to hearing more.

OOC: Good song description (:
-
Offline Synxhard  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2010 10:22:58(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Are you fucking kidding me!?!? The new stuff is mind blowing guys, especially the guitar work. Its cool you're taking a new direction with all the added classic metal influences, nice to change it up every once in a while. I've always looked up to you 2 (Derek and Daniel) as some of my biggest influences, and this is just fantastic. Can't wait for 'The Deceiver's Bathysphere'.

-Jimmy
Black Gold Reign

OOC: Real nice song description, I really like all the detail put into the guitar solos, great stuff.
Offline Gorloche  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2010 13:29:21(UTC)
Gorloche

Here's a brief description of what to expect from The Deceiver's Bathysphere, a very different take on what compositional complexity can mean. In a related note, we'll be releasing these two demos as the B-side to an upcoming EP. The lead track will be one of our older tracks from a previous album (haven't picked which yet) as these aren't quite up to snuff to qualify for the leads. This becomes apparent when you factor in that, in the description for the previous song, no reference was made to the Lamb. He is still in the band, we just haven't figured out a way to squeeze him into that track, which will undoubtedly mean some reorganization of the composition of it. However, we are excited about them and feel that they give strong insight into the direction our new album will be headed in, so it makes sense to put this in the hands of people as early as possible in order to build buzz, especially since we aren't sure how long the album-writing process is going to take (I'm certain all my fellow musicians know how that is).

The Deceiver's Bathysphere

This song is a bit closer to what we expect its final length to be, considering it is about 7.5 minutes long which isn't too far from the norm for us and this one doesn't have as many superfluous bits that we'll adjust later. It's roughly written in three sections. The first section is one of the few pieces we have with our drummer Baph taking lead vocals. It opens with a very Diamond Head-influenced riff, with Baph laying down a strong and heavy groove that the Lamb and Harry riff heavily over, like if Crowbar played a NWOBHM riff. Derek and I perform a harmonized riff inspired by Thin Lizzy and early Iron Maiden over the heavy riff, but we aren't mixed right on top. It's a little hard to describe the mix, since the demo is in stereo and not 5.1, which we record our albums in normally, but in an ideal full mix Derek and I would be on either side and back a bit in the mix, with the Lamb and Harry behind and to either side and Baph right in the middle in front. The graphical image that we're attempting with this one is based on something that Langdon (from Enoch) and Chris (from Herr Fische) like to do, which is position the sounds like a face, with the rhythm of the Lamb and Harry being the back of the head, Baph being the face and the melodies of Derek and me being the two eyes. It will make more sense when you can hear a final recording and mix of this song. Anyway, this evolves and goes on for just over three minutes before it breaks into the second section. The second section switches to Harry on vocals as we go into a very, very heavy thrashing bit. This doesn't mean that it is straight-ahead thrash; we put in lots of technical touches here, like a guitar canon performed by me, Derek and the Lamb that lasts for about eight very short measures, some radical changes in time signature and the like. So, to be fair, it's a bit like earlier Meshuggah, where the times would change and chop but the tempo was still up there. While there are variations in specific places for certain bars, the main riff follows a pattern of 5+6+3+3.5+7/8, or one measure of 5/4, one of 6/4, etc. The 3.5 should be interpreted as one measure of 7/16, but it is simpler to annotate it as 3.5/8 considering the other bars are in that quaver value as well. But that's all a bit technical (Ha!). It sounds like it would be a bit disorienting, and it is a bit, but it clicks well into a solid groove. One of those things where if you try to count out the time, you'll get baffled at first but if you just listen, it sounds cool, you know? And, to answer some claims, the pattern evolved from jamming, not math, so it came out because this is how music evolves in our heads, not because we fucked around to get it weird. Again, various extensions to each of those five bits (5, 6, 3, 3.5, and 7) occur at various places in the second section due to fitting certain lyrical phrases. And Harry was chosen for that vocal section because his thrashier vocals sound like he is screaming at the top of his fucking lungs. The third section drops the volume drastically, with Baph switching to timpani mallets on his toms, playing very subtle almost tribal parts. The Lamb switches over to synthesizers and a cold "glowing" kind of sound, if you can picture that. Derek, Harry and I all play under over it in freely improvised mellow parts, heavily focused on effects heavy, ambient string work to create a sort of sea of sound. Occasionally, I do a pinch harmonic with some echo to create a radar's ping, which I use more extensively near the end of the piece.

The three sections haven't been named and might still go unnamed on the final release, but each will go through a bit of trimming and the third section will become a bit more formalized. Not overly so, just some lightly composed parts so that when we improvise the finale live we have certain cues to track our progress and keep us all on the same page. Expect the demos to get an official release in about 4 weeks (OOC: gametime).

- Daniel
Offline herrfische777  
#5 Posted : 15 February 2010 00:50:12(UTC)
herrfische777

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
How do guys,

Again absolutely amazing work. I'm loving that you've finally embraced a bit of metal. We might do that some day if the others allow it!!

Kii Kii Lii
(2 sexy legs of Herr Fische)
UserPostedImage

HERR FISCHE

Featuring the following bunch of freaks:

Chris 'Herr Fische' Fisher: Vocals/Keyboards/Piano etc
Paul 'Foetus' Fisher: Multi Instrumentalist/Electric Wizard/Audio Abuse
Kii Kii Lii: Lead Guitar/Sitars/Background Vocals
Thomas 'TomTom' Thompson: Rythym Guitars/All other stringed instruments
Mr Unknown: Bass Guitar/ Double Bass/Background Vocals
Brenda Hatch: Drums/Drum Machines/Percussion

Band Status:

Building Bridges
Offline Laurelles1  
#6 Posted : 15 February 2010 00:53:40(UTC)
Laurelles1

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
Jason: As far as prog metal goes, you don't really get any bigger or better than Sudan. Your influence on us has been huge, can't wait for the new stuff.
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline The Nimrods  
#7 Posted : 15 February 2010 04:18:42(UTC)
The Nimrods

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
OOC:Um dude it was good but a bit TOO descriptive
Jimmy:I like it, I'm not a big fan of NWOBHM but I love those twin melodies
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline Paradox  
#8 Posted : 16 February 2010 09:20:45(UTC)
Paradox

Man

Holy fuck, thats simply awesome.
-Hector
OOC: That's possibly the most descriptive RP I've read
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Offline Gorloche  
#9 Posted : 16 February 2010 14:20:08(UTC)
Gorloche

(OOC: I'm aware that it is overly descriptive, but I was trying to stick to the core of Daniel's character which is, in my mind, very much the stickler type: a huge focus on the tiny, technical details of something rather than a broad overview. There was another somewhat pretentious and antagonistic reason, but it's kind of mean-spirited in hindsight, so there's no real reason to get into it.)

I'm glad that the reception is universally positive right now and has garnered a larger reaction than some of our more recent work. The album is, again, very much in the planning stages, but this is a good response. I'm very happy.

- Daniel