logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline genocidal king  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2012 00:23:09(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
His music is not my cup of tea, but this article speaks volumes for the man and how much respect he has for everyone else in the industry, especially the people who never get credit. Love it.

Folk/punk singer-songwriter Frank Turner has launched a scathing attack on Nicki Minaj on his website, after her ‘rude’ and ‘selfish’ behavious backstage at T in the Park ended with a Twitter fiasco as ravenous Nicki Minaj fans hit back at his claims.

Turner started his rant after apparently witnessing Nicki Minaj being ‘a dick’ to her own crew and everyone around at the backstage area of T in the Park, and immediately took to Twitter to express his disgust at her behaviour. But, messing with someone who has 13million Twitter followers on Twitter inevitably ends with a barrage of angry fans - who Turner described as ‘semi-literate’ - giving you abuse back. Now, he’s used his own website as a means to attack the star.
“So the last 12 hours have been interesting. I posted some thoughts on some shenanigans I witnessed backstage at T in the Park, and then got inundated with poorly-written bilge for a while on Twitter. I have no interest in rehashing the specifics of what happened, it’s not, in itself, a massive deal to me. I still don’t really know who Nicki (sic) Minaj is, and I don’t really care. I have no opinion on her music, for all I know she’s a genius. Good for her.

“The central point I wanted to make, and the thing that got me pissed off in the first place, is about respect. A lot of bands (and me) spend a lot of time talking about respect for the people who listen to your music, the people in front of the stage, the “fans” (I still hate that word) or whatever, and rightly so; personally, I feel that showing up late and not apologizing is a little weak. But the thing that got to me yesterday was more about respect for a different group of people: the crew.

“There are an awful lot of people who work on making shows and festivals happen who don’t get to stand in the middle of the stage and bask in anyone’s adulation. In fact, it’s the vast majority of people. This includes my crew (sound guy, guitar tech etc.), the stage hands, the promoter who books the show, and the hundreds of people who run the backstage organization, and more. These people all work their arses off, they’re there from first thing in the morning to last thing at night, and they don’t get paid as much as the musicians on the stage. Without them, nothing would get done, there would be no shows for anyone to enjoy. I couldn’t do what I do without my crew.”

He added finally: “Running a festival is a logistical nightmare; it takes a lot of people an awful lot of time to make sure everything runs even vaguely smoothly. If there’s one person in the midst of this who has a pretty easy, highly paid job (show up, mime, go home) who refuses to do this, and thereby fucks up the day of all the hard-working, sleep-deprived, exhausted, under-appreciated festival crew, well, that pisses me off. It means everyone has to do a ton more work just to make sure that the people at the festival and all the other bands don’t have their day ruined. For some reason, doing this when you’re holding a microphone makes you “artistic”, “difficult” or maybe a “Diva”. In any other walk of life it’s called being rude, selfish and inconsiderate.”
UserPostedImage
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2012 01:41:20(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17920 time(s) in 10413 post(s)
awesome.i have who idea who he is,but he sounds like a class act.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline Mckenzie-  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2012 01:57:08(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
His music is brilliant and what a great statement. He better prepare for an absolute crushing on twitter though. Some delusional fans won't allow someone else to voice their opinion on the matter.
retired x
Offline DistortedAudio  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2012 02:22:51(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Already got a bit of that crushing, but his quoting of Henry Rollins was well-warranted:

"They should be getting your salary, and you should be getting their's."
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Rincewind  
#5 Posted : 05 August 2012 20:52:58(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Frank turner is a god, absolutly fantastic person and singer... if you don't know anything by him i highly highly recomend listening to long live the Queen, a song he wrote aboute a good friend of his who died of cancer..

and he is spot on with his comments about minaj as well i reckon. For some reason it has become the in thing to be a dick to the people that make their jobs possible.
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Rincewind  
#6 Posted : 05 August 2012 20:58:03(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
forgot to mention he also performed at the olympic opening ceremony
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants