logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

420 Pages«<341342343344345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Taylr  
#6841 Posted : 28 November 2011 11:10:35(UTC)
Taylr

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 73 post(s)
"Santa has about 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 967.7 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with a good child, Santa has around 1/1000 of a second to park the sleigh, hop out, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left for him, get back up the chimney, jump into the sleigh and get on to the next house. Assuming that each of these 108 million stops is evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false, but will accept for the purposes of our calculations), we are now talking about 0.78 miles per household; a total trip of 75.5 million miles, not counting bathroom stops or breaks. This means Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second--3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man-made vehicle, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second, and a conventional reindeer can run (at best) 15 miles per hour.The payload of the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium sized Lego set (two pounds), the sleigh is carrying over 500 thousand tons, not counting Santa himself. On land, a conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that the "flying" reindeer could pull ten times the normal amount, the job can't be done with eight or even nine of them-Santa would need 360,000 of them. This increases the payload, not counting the weight of the sleigh, another 54,000 tons, or roughly seven times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth (the ship, not the monarch).600,000 tons travelling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance-this would heat up the reindeer in the same fashion as a spacecraft re-entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer would absorb 14.3 quintillion joules of energy per second each. In short, they would burst into flames almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them and creating deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team would be vaporised within 4.26 thousandths of a second, or right about the time Santa reached the fifth house on his trip.Not that it matters, however, since Santa, as a result of accelerating from a dead stop to 650 m.p.s. in .001 seconds, would be subjected to acceleration forces of 17,500 g's. A 250 pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of the sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force, instantly crushing his bones and organs and reducing him to a quivering blob of pink goo.

Merry Christmas"

God I love sickipedia.

Edited by user 28 November 2011 11:11:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Taylr for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 28/11/2011(UTC), bikz on 28/11/2011(UTC)
Offline bikz  
#6842 Posted : 28 November 2011 21:55:51(UTC)
bikz

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Taylr Go to Quoted Post
"Santa has about 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 967.7 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with a good child, Santa has around 1/1000 of a second to park the sleigh, hop out, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left for him, get back up the chimney, jump into the sleigh and get on to the next house. Assuming that each of these 108 million stops is evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false, but will accept for the purposes of our calculations), we are now talking about 0.78 miles per household; a total trip of 75.5 million miles, not counting bathroom stops or breaks. This means Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second--3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man-made vehicle, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second, and a conventional reindeer can run (at best) 15 miles per hour.The payload of the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium sized Lego set (two pounds), the sleigh is carrying over 500 thousand tons, not counting Santa himself. On land, a conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that the "flying" reindeer could pull ten times the normal amount, the job can't be done with eight or even nine of them-Santa would need 360,000 of them. This increases the payload, not counting the weight of the sleigh, another 54,000 tons, or roughly seven times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth (the ship, not the monarch).600,000 tons travelling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance-this would heat up the reindeer in the same fashion as a spacecraft re-entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer would absorb 14.3 quintillion joules of energy per second each. In short, they would burst into flames almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them and creating deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team would be vaporised within 4.26 thousandths of a second, or right about the time Santa reached the fifth house on his trip.Not that it matters, however, since Santa, as a result of accelerating from a dead stop to 650 m.p.s. in .001 seconds, would be subjected to acceleration forces of 17,500 g's. A 250 pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of the sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force, instantly crushing his bones and organs and reducing him to a quivering blob of pink goo.

Merry Christmas"

God I love sickipedia.

All the kids are bad, and are given presents by their parents to compensate for this, while Santa sits on his backside doing arse all. It's the only solution.
UserPostedImage
There is only one Rockstar Game - and it's your home! <-- still true (:
joshy, neon bras and full frontal neck nuzzling | blacked out by sean smith's neck | startled by joshy's furry presence
Offline Raphaela  
#6843 Posted : 29 November 2011 01:05:17(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Perhaps Santa only visits 2 houses every year or something like that. Kids are evil. Only about two or three are perhaps 'good'. Santa has high standarts.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline Gildermershina  
#6844 Posted : 29 November 2011 04:14:00(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Caroline is in Paris. I wish I was in Paris. With Caroline. I want to go back to the Bibliothéque Nationale de France. With Caroline. Oh well.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Rincewind  
#6845 Posted : 29 November 2011 05:35:40(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
so whats Caroline like then?
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Gildermershina  
#6846 Posted : 29 November 2011 05:47:48(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

She's a super-nice Kiwi at work, who is probably the nicest person I have ever met in the whole damn world, and she's basically out to see the world as much as she can while she's young, something I wanted to do, but of course, I always let things get in the way of that. Meeting her has been pretty inspirational, but obviously I'm too much of a coward to do anything about it.

I'm an okay guy, I mean, I try my best, but she's... In every possible way she's a better person than me, and by an order of magnitude. I know I shouldn't overblow my misplaced feelings like this, but again, that's me.
Offline Rincewind  
#6847 Posted : 29 November 2011 05:59:35(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
i think most people here know how that feels....
she sounds nice..
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Gildermershina  
#6848 Posted : 29 November 2011 06:35:33(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post
i think most people here know how that feels....
she sounds nice..

Painfully nice. It was one thing when she was over on the opposite side of the floor, it's another thing now that she's been promoted and is now my team leader. I made her a little origami kiwi once, and then I chickened out of giving it to her and left it on her desk like a creepy stalker while she was on break. Hah. I suck.
Offline xNightsidex  
#6849 Posted : 30 November 2011 11:24:15(UTC)
xNightsidex

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I haven't actually committed myself to do anything here or even make a post in a long time. To be honest, I'm at university studying two different and contrasting courses, a lot of my time is taken up by society meetings, and the various orchestral/choral/ambient ensembles I've immersed myself in, as well as a hectic social life between a boyfriend, university, home, and my housemates, work life for a night club and modelling, and working in general. So I've just rambled with no direct aim for a paragraph, but what I guess I'm saying is, I'm probably joining the ranks of my predecessors and probably tendering my resignation and commitment to this place.

I'd post a thread and saying I'm leaving, but I doubt anyone'll care cause I barely interacted with any of the newer members, and I'll probably still find the odd moment to lurk even so. But take care y'all, and have a banging holiday this month!
Offline DistortedAudio  
#6850 Posted : 01 December 2011 07:30:56(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Things are finally looking up. I got my first Journalism article and I am pretty happy with the article I was assigned. Time to break out the chair leg of truth.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#6851 Posted : 01 December 2011 10:25:51(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Man it's surprisingly hard to plan a good hill walk outside of Glasgow using public transport, Seems like everything is a good hour and a half away.
Offline Raphaela  
#6852 Posted : 05 December 2011 06:23:38(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Last night I made out with a woman twice (or more) my age.
Not sure if it's a good or a bad thing.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#6853 Posted : 05 December 2011 06:57:27(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

My body feels like a string :(
Offline Gildermershina  
#6854 Posted : 05 December 2011 07:57:13(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Tomorrow, I'm off on a walk with some folk from work, including a girl that I like quite a bit. So it should be a good day, if a little bit chilly.
Offline Mt. Epic  
#6855 Posted : 05 December 2011 09:23:48(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Taylr Go to Quoted Post

Merry Christmas"

God I love sickipedia.

I remember my math teacher tell us this last year, which then i remembered reading this online before.

Timeless classic, too bad children nowadays are dicks.
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline genocidal king  
#6856 Posted : 05 December 2011 23:01:53(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
I would like to express once again how I detest this shitty phone company. That's 9 days since the promised delivery date and my new phone still being ferried back and forward between Leeds delivery depot and my flat despite me telling them 5 times to bring it to my office. Idiots.
UserPostedImage
Offline asdf  
#6857 Posted : 05 December 2011 23:13:43(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Why not take it from your flat to your office, on your own...?
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline genocidal king  
#6858 Posted : 05 December 2011 23:21:12(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Because I am not yet in possession of it. It has been dispatched by the phone company, and the couriers keep trying to deliver it to my flat during the day, when I am at work. I try to get them to redirect to my office, but they just keep making failed deliveries at my home address, when I'm not home to sign for it.
UserPostedImage
Offline asdf  
#6859 Posted : 05 December 2011 23:24:27(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Ah, in America they would just leave it at your doorstep and hope no-one steals it for you. lol
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline erich hess  
#6860 Posted : 06 December 2011 03:23:44(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18010 time(s) in 10472 post(s)
I've had several things left on my doorstep and nobody ganked them,including an expensive new intercooler.

Yet on the flipside of things. Someone did steal my 40 dollar charcoal grill that was nearly rusted through on the bottom.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.