logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

420 Pages«<352353354355356>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline forkboy  
#7061 Posted : 22 May 2012 07:19:44(UTC)
forkboy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Oh & I'm making fresh pesto tomorrow which is always fun. Love the smell of basil in the food processor.
Offline Mckenzie-  
#7062 Posted : 22 May 2012 07:42:12(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
As forkboy and other have said, life is what you make it. Happiness isn't going to come to you, you have got to search for it. And with the risk of sounding cliched, you do really only live once, so why fuck around doing something that is not going to benefit you or doing something that your not going to remember. We all have our dreams. I am the biggest person for unrealistic dreams.. it's just me. I always have these idealistic dreams which are often said to be unachievable (now, i dont mean walking across mars or swimming the atlantic), but everyone tells me to do these you need money. I don't want my life to revolve around money.

Anyway on a lighter note, my band has booked their comeback show for July 13th. It's a long time away, but that's taking into account my exams and holidays. It will be our first show in 2 years. We used to play covers of pop-punk songs but now, over the course of those 2 years we have matured and found a new sound. We'll be playing indie-folk music. Im super stoked for this because unless we have an incredible summer of playing music, it will be the last 3 months the band are together as members will be moving on to University. Im really stoked for this summer. Promised myself to have the most fun and have no regrets come September 1st when all my friends and me go our separate ways; to either Uni, Job or whatever. Crazy to think that some friendships that have been built over 8 years+ will be over come September.
retired x
Offline forkboy  
#7063 Posted : 22 May 2012 08:20:28(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post
Anyway, to get less serious for a mo. Today's been a lovely day. Fired off some job apps in the morning, spent the afternoon out in the sun, wandering about & then sitting down on a bench by the beach reading A Feast For Crows for a good hour which was lovely, sun coming down on my back. Oh I love that, it's just so comfortable, a nice warm back. And then this evening, I contemplated going back out but instead have spent (some may quite sensibly say wasted) the night reading about the World of Darkness RPG games. You know, the tabletop, roll dice ones from White Wolf.

I've always been really into the idea of playing something like this, or D&D but have never known a group of people with a similar interest. I mean Gildy had the Vampire: The Masquerade core book when we were teenagers & I remember an afternoon spent at our grans creating character sheets, but never with any realistic expectation to play it. Which is a shame. But I have no idea where you are meant to meet people who do this sort of thing. This annoys me. So I've been reading a couple of forums discussion, the stuff sounds potential interesting, & there's the possibility of IRC games. And in this more modern era, Skype. So I'm pondering pondering pondering. I'd like some sort of creative outlet, even if it is the goofiest shit ever.

One thing I'll say is this. Boy do these people have a lot of abbreviations & shit that means absolutely nothing to a newcomer. All this terminology is just a bit intimidating.
Offline Gildermershina  
#7064 Posted : 22 May 2012 08:50:40(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Anyway, to get less serious for a mo. Today's been a lovely day. Fired off some job apps in the morning, spent the afternoon out in the sun, wandering about & then sitting down on a bench by the beach reading A Feast For Crows for a good hour which was lovely, sun coming down on my back. Oh I love that, it's just so comfortable, a nice warm back. And then this evening, I contemplated going back out but instead have spent (some may quite sensibly say wasted) the night reading about the World of Darkness RPG games. You know, the tabletop, roll dice ones from White Wolf.

I've always been really into the idea of playing something like this, or D&D but have never known a group of people with a similar interest. I mean Gildy had the Vampire: The Masquerade core book when we were teenagers & I remember an afternoon spent at our grans creating character sheets, but never with any realistic expectation to play it. Which is a shame. But I have no idea where you are meant to meet people who do this sort of thing. This annoys me. So I've been reading a couple of forums discussion, the stuff sounds potential interesting, & there's the possibility of IRC games. And in this more modern era, Skype. So I'm pondering pondering pondering. I'd like some sort of creative outlet, even if it is the goofiest shit ever.

One thing I'll say is this. Boy do these people have a lot of abbreviations & shit that means absolutely nothing to a newcomer. All this terminology is just a bit intimidating.

Enthusiasts of anything have crazy abbreviations that seem like absolute nonsense to me. But then, most people think dice always have six sides.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#7065 Posted : 22 May 2012 22:49:20(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Anxious Was only saying I didn't like revising.

Can't believe there aren't many Chelsea supporters on here. Champions of Europe and no one's said anything!!!

Hopefully we'll get Hazard or Hulk this summer and a decent right-back (I'm hoping for Kyle Walker).
Offline DistortedAudio  
#7066 Posted : 22 May 2012 23:04:31(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Just read the D&D stuff, and if anyone's game for making a session (the Pathfinder rules are free online) then I am totally game to play. I've wanted to try it for a while.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline genocidal king  
#7067 Posted : 22 May 2012 23:14:25(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Guaranteed Kyle Walker doesn't go to Chelsea. Champions of Europe you might be, but I think we'd all agree you are far from being even the top team in London far less Europe. In fact, I'd go as far as to say not even the best team in Chelsea (given that you play in Fulham ;) ). As a result, I could see Walker only leaving Spurs for City. Although, Daniel Levy is a beast when it comes to selling Spurs players to other Prem clubs, and given how he refused to sell Modric, I reckon Walker will still be there next season. I'd say it's more likely Hazard will be playing far further north than London next year also, be it on the red or blue side of Manchester.
UserPostedImage
Offline Mckenzie-  
#7068 Posted : 22 May 2012 23:33:21(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
Guaranteed Kyle Walker doesn't go to Chelsea. Champions of Europe you might be, but I think we'd all agree you are far from being even the top team in London far less Europe. In fact, I'd go as far as to say not even the best team in Chelsea (given that you play in Fulham ;) ). As a result, I could see Walker only leaving Spurs for City. Although, Daniel Levy is a beast when it comes to selling Spurs players to other Prem clubs, and given how he refused to sell Modric, I reckon Walker will still be there next season. I'd say it's more likely Hazard will be playing far further north than London next year also, be it on the red or blue side of Manchester.

Couldn't agree more. Kyle Walker is going nowhere this summer. Why would he leave Spurs now? He is a loyal player, missing out on Champions League football this year wouldn't want to make him leave. He'll be there, I can see him there for the foreseeable future.
Regarding Hazard I believe it will be one of the Manchester clubs. I've seen on Sky Sports that he favors a move to Old Trafford and why wouldn't he? United may be one of our rivals, but I would rather join them over City. At United he will be appreciated and be the key player to success at a club which has one of the most decorated backgrounds in football. Sure, at City he has the chance to make history, but would he really want to be down the pecking order? He is a Cristiano Ronaldo-esque player, and by that I mean he loves the attention on him. I can see it being United he signs for.

And on the note of the champions league final, Chelsea are the champions of Europe.. not the best team in Europe. They went out in the final to park the bus, infact their goal was from their first corner off the afternoon! They didn't deserve it, it was a truly boring match thanks to Chelsea's boring tactic. At the end of the day though they won.. but their fans cannot call their team the best in Europe.
retired x
Offline Aj  
#7069 Posted : 22 May 2012 23:59:41(UTC)
Aj

Man

Originally Posted by: Mckenzie- Go to Quoted Post

Couldn't agree more. Kyle Walker is going nowhere this summer. Why would he leave Spurs now? He is a loyal player, missing out on Champions League football this year wouldn't want to make him leave. He'll be there, I can see him there for the foreseeable future.
Regarding Hazard I believe it will be one of the Manchester clubs. I've seen on Sky Sports that he favors a move to Old Trafford and why wouldn't he? United may be one of our rivals, but I would rather join them over City. At United he will be appreciated and be the key player to success at a club which has one of the most decorated backgrounds in football. Sure, at City he has the chance to make history, but would he really want to be down the pecking order? He is a Cristiano Ronaldo-esque player, and by that I mean he loves the attention on him. I can see it being United he signs for.

And on the note of the champions league final, Chelsea are the champions of Europe.. not the best team in Europe. They went out in the final to park the bus, infact their goal was from their first corner off the afternoon! They didn't deserve it, it was a truly boring match thanks to Chelsea's boring tactic. At the end of the day though they won.. but their fans cannot call their team the best in Europe.

I don't think anyone's called them the best team in Europe. And I did say I 'hoped' for Kyle Walker....

With regards to Hazard, I did reckon he would go to United, but you never know he seems like a bit of an attention seeker like you said and I'm sure Roman will be happy to give him lot's of money. Besides United are in for loads of players this summer. I reckon Kagawa will go to them if Hazard doesn't, maybe even if he does regardless. Though everyone's saying how Hazard will be down the pecking order at City, but what about United? They already have Nani, Young and Valencia. Park Ji Sung is there in backup and he's been at United for years now. Add Hazard to that and they'll have four big name wingers, and already one back up? I dunno, just doesn't seem like Fergies style he might have a few stars in similar positions but tends to stick to younger smaller names to make up the rest of the numbers. I might make a thread for transfer gossip....
Offline forkboy  
#7070 Posted : 23 May 2012 00:47:58(UTC)
forkboy

Couldn't agree more. Kyle Walker is going nowhere this summer. Why would he leave Spurs now?

Money, the same reason 99.99% of all footballers do anything.

And I'm far from a fan of Chelsea, but the Champions of Europe are by default the best club side in Europe. They beat Barcelona, they beat the team who beat Madrid, so who else is in the conversation? City have done absolutely nothing of note in Europe yet, & lest we forget they barely managed to actually win their domestic league. On top of it all, defensive football is a perfectly legitimate tactic, people whining about it would be like 1880s England fans pissing & moaning because Scotland had the audacity to pass the ball! WHAT IS THIS SORCERY? Yeah, all out defensive tactics might not be pretty to watch but there's no points for style, & the same number of points for drawing 5-5 as 0-0, or for that matter winning 10-0 has the same points as a 1-0 win. Until such a point in time comes when FIFA decide to award extra points for a certain winning margin, such as happens in rugby.
thanks 1 user thanked forkboy for this useful post.
Aj on 23/05/2012(UTC)
Offline forkboy  
#7071 Posted : 23 May 2012 01:01:50(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post
Just read the D&D stuff, and if anyone's game for making a session (the Pathfinder rules are free online) then I am totally game to play. I've wanted to try it for a while.

I'd be willing to give it a go (obviously). I assume you'd need a minimum of 5 people, a Dungeon Master & 4 adventurers. Maybe 3 adventurers would work. OR PEOPLE CAMERON, PEOPLE. You're not a full blown OTT nerd just yet.

I was initially looking at the White Wolf games myself, but from what I've looked at lots of these games seem to have free Quick Rules & test adventures to test out so I'm open. Though from reading a few things I think 4th Edition D&D sounds reasonably straight forward for newcomers as opposed to Pathfinder which is based on the 3rd Edition rules? I don't really know though. Open to ideas assuming other people would be interested. Which doesn't seem totally proposterous considering how many of you roleplay in another medium.
Offline genocidal king  
#7072 Posted : 23 May 2012 01:04:38(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
I'm always up for trying new stuff, and this level of geekery has always appealed to me, even though I have never tried it.
UserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#7073 Posted : 23 May 2012 01:21:43(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: Gildermershina Go to Quoted Post

Enthusiasts of anything have crazy abbreviations that seem like absolute nonsense to me. But then, most people think dice always have six sides.

I'm trying to remember how many varieties of die I had back in the Warhammer days. So, D6, D4, D10, D20. Plus things like blast dice which were your regular 6 sided variety but with things like HIT on them instead of numbers. OH I NEARLY FORGOT D12!

I'm always up for trying new stuff, and this level of geekery has always appealed to me, even though I have never tried it.

Awesome. I'm still not totally certain of the best way to play online, but I'm looking into options. But needless to say, that'll be easier once we decide exactly which of the 10,000 games out there to go with Anxious

For the sake of simplicity, this is the D&D4 quick rules, if anyone wants a look. http://www.wizards.com/d...iles/QuickStartRules.pdf

Edited by user 23 May 2012 01:23:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Mckenzie-  
#7074 Posted : 23 May 2012 01:46:47(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Money, the same reason 99.99% of all footballers do anything.

And I'm far from a fan of Chelsea, but the Champions of Europe are by default the best club side in Europe. They beat Barcelona, they beat the team who beat Madrid, so who else is in the conversation? City have done absolutely nothing of note in Europe yet, & lest we forget they barely managed to actually win their domestic league. On top of it all, defensive football is a perfectly legitimate tactic, people whining about it would be like 1880s England fans pissing & moaning because Scotland had the audacity to pass the ball! WHAT IS THIS SORCERY? Yeah, all out defensive tactics might not be pretty to watch but there's no points for style, & the same number of points for drawing 5-5 as 0-0, or for that matter winning 10-0 has the same points as a 1-0 win. Until such a point in time comes when FIFA decide to award extra points for a certain winning margin, such as happens in rugby.

I disagree. The 6th best English football side this season cannot be considered the best team in Europe. Yes they're the champions, but not the best club. Greece wining Euro 2004 didn't make them the best European footballing country. Can one also determine that Wigan are a better side than United because they beat them in one game?

Whilst you are correct in what your saying about defensive football, it's just not attractive to watch. I love watching Barca, Real, Bayern, City, Napoli even Swansea for that matter because they play nice attractive football. Not that garbage I witnessed on Saturday night. Thankfully Everton have abandoned the park the bus tactic they used through to 90's.

Edited by user 23 May 2012 01:47:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

retired x
Offline forkboy  
#7075 Posted : 23 May 2012 02:01:04(UTC)
forkboy

I disagree. The 6th best English football side this season cannot be considered the best team in Europe. Yes they're the champions, but not the best club. Greece wining Euro 2004 didn't make them the best European footballing country. Can one also determine that Wigan are a better side than United because they beat them in one game?

Whilst you are correct in what your saying about defensive football, it's just not attractive to watch. I love watching Barca, Real, Bayern, City, Napoli even Swansea for that matter because they play nice attractive football. Not that garbage I witnessed on Saturday night. Thankfully Everton have abandoned the park the bus tactic they used through to 90's.

Chelsea did not win one game though, did they? They won out over the duration of an entire tournament. Now if you were designing an actual tournament to findout the best side in Europe from scratch I'd suggest you'd not use a cup format at all. It'd be a round robin, just like the domestic league. But that'll never happen for logistical reasons so hey, we've got the Champions League. And if Chelsea ain't the best side in Europe then who is?

End of the day, football is a competitive sport where the aim is to win first, a form of entertainment second. If your tiki taka team of masters can't break down the 11 men in their own half side & get hit on the break, well that's a flaw in your tactic that needs to be accounted for the next time you play a team who defend resolutely. Barcelona failed to achieve that.

But I grant you that my idea of fun football is askew from most peoples from growing up on Scottish lower leagues football. Even to this day I'd rather watch a rough & tumble game of Pollock vs Irvine Meadow, or Linlithgow Rose over the Classico. The last time I had an interest of a league that wasn't on these leagues was Italy. And I think Channel 4 stopped holding the rights to Serie A about 10 years ago.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#7076 Posted : 23 May 2012 02:02:37(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
How we'll play:

Chat client, Chatango, or Xat.

We should also use a different thread for this.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Rincewind  
#7077 Posted : 23 May 2012 02:11:24(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
im also always up for a bit of online geekery.. and have never D&D's although i used to have a gf who was obsessed with it and even went and did LARP back before it was cool and hot asians did it...

with regards to Chelsea, they won the final, well done to them, they took the only chance they had to score and scored, bayern had 16 corners and did nothing with any of them, they had the posession and managed to do nothing with it.. Congratulations to Chelsea for managing it, but no they are not the best team in Europe, if you've not won your home league, you are not th ebest team in your country let alone the continent...
I hope spurs manage to keep hold of walker, especially since he has just signed a new deal with them. Spurs did well to finish top four, and i hope they do as well next season.
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline forkboy  
#7078 Posted : 23 May 2012 02:22:53(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post
How we'll play:

Chat client, Chatango, or Xat.

We should also use a different thread for this.

I was thinking the same thing. I'll get on that right now.
Offline Aj  
#7079 Posted : 23 May 2012 08:16:58(UTC)
Aj

Man

Is it weird to pee in bottles/cups when I can't be arsed to go to the toilet? I clean them after....
Offline forkboy  
#7080 Posted : 23 May 2012 08:21:57(UTC)
forkboy

Yes. That is pretty damn lazy. Like so lazy that I've never even done it & I'm real fucking lazy