logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mt. Epic  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2013 13:30:51(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Just as the title goes.

So many athletes nowadays are taking PEDs (performance-enhancing drugs). It sounds like every day another childhood hero of this generation has their name tainted as being a juicer. But there are plenty of other players who haven't been found guilty of taking drugs that appear to have likely taken them, or be currently taking them.

So because the use of drugs is increasing, should we be more critical towards who have taken them, or should we just let it slide because their competition is doing it too so it's a way to stay on-par?
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
thanks 1 user thanked Mt. Epic for this useful post.
vodami92 on 22/05/2019(UTC)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#2 Posted : 06 June 2013 13:56:08(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

Some people take steroids for health reasons, but are more thank likely taking prescription by a doctor or they are asthmatics.

I use to be one of those people that would say no to the idea of someone taking/doing things such as weed, plastic surgery, injections, ect. But I now feel like people should do whatever the hell they want with their bodies as long as they are happy in the long run. Me, personally have never taken steroids. I'm very picky with what goes inside my body (insert gay joke here).

I'm not gonna lie, I thought I about trying it one time, after I became I little obsessed with the idea of body building at LA fitness. It's part of the reason, I don't even take my work outs to the gym anymore.

If you do things organically, the chances are you'll be working even more towards your well being and health. I just couldn't trust a magic pill or a needle going inside my body and cheating my way out to getting the body I want. Plus, the health side effects are pretty risky. That doesn't mean I'm against people doing it.

thanks 2 users thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 06/06/2013(UTC), vodami92 on 22/05/2019(UTC)
Offline Rincewind  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2013 19:30:40(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
All depends on your deffinition of Steroids. A steroid in the strictest sense is simply some form of a naturally occuring substance like testosterone, which people allready have in their bodies.... Which a lot of very very famous people use or have used in the past. This kind of steroid abuse causes 3 deaths a year in the USA... when compared with other things like driving, drinking, smoking, parecetamol etc etc its no where near as harmfull... And some people need these kind of drugs to stay alive... Its been proven to help people with AIDS, muscular disopraphy etc...

also other types of performance enhancing drugs which do things like increase the red blood cell count in your blood can also be achieved by legal means ie high altitude training or preasurised sleep chambers...

in other words, i don't think they are as dangerous or bad as people seam to want to make out. I do think they should be kept out of sports but accept this will never happen. So instead i would like to see a drug legal league for all sports, where the atheletes can take whatever the hell they want, at least then it is a level playing field and the atheletes who don't want to have their own drug free leagues still...
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
thanks 1 user thanked Rincewind for this useful post.
Offline xNightsidex  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2013 15:54:55(UTC)
xNightsidex

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Just noticed this topic... As of about a year ago, I'm actually on lifelong prescription as a steroid patient, because of a long string of health irregularities and a complex immuno-disorder that cropped up a little while after I moved down south and unfortunately progressed. My opinion is as Rince said really; everything can be dangerous in excessive dosage, or abuse per se, but without steroids, my condition would be totally deteriorating... I pretty much owe them my health.
thanks 1 user thanked xNightsidex for this useful post.
Offline Gildermershina  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2013 17:59:37(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I don't think people should take performance enhancing or recreational drugs. I don't care if they do, and I don't look down on them, I just personally don't think people ought to rely on chemicals. But I take this further and include caffeine. People will proudly say "oh man, I can't do anything in the morning without my coffee." Obviously that's fucking horseshit to begin with, but next time someone says that, I'm going to say "Yeah, I'm the same, I can't get out of bed without my heroin."

Not that that has anything to do with anything, but yeah steroids in competitive sports is bad, but if you want to take them because you aspire to be a musclebound asshole, go right ahead and do it. In those cases it's the vanity I find more disgusting.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Gildermershina for this useful post.
Offline Rincewind  
#6 Posted : 17 June 2013 21:10:18(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

But the effects you get from steroids in a lot of cases you can also achieve using other legal means ie high altitude training etc... If one is illegal because it gives an unfair edge to a competitor, shouldn't all other means of achieving that result also be illegal?

Also as long as national sporting bodies encourage / turn a blind eye to their athletes using performance enhancing techniques, nothin will ever change... Does anyone actually believe the line... I didn't mean to take it it must have been I my cold medicine!! Carl Lewis being a prime example of this.. Which in a way is ironic because he only won gold because Ben Johnson was done for steroid abuse..

Edited by user 17 June 2013 21:12:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

and im just like:
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#7 Posted : 17 June 2013 22:29:52(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gildermershina Go to Quoted Post
I don't think people should take performance enhancing or recreational drugs. I don't care if they do, and I don't look down on them, I just personally don't think people ought to rely on chemicals. But I take this further and include caffeine. People will proudly say "oh man, I can't do anything in the morning without my coffee." Obviously that's fucking horseshit to begin with, but next time someone says that, I'm going to say "Yeah, I'm the same, I can't get out of bed without my heroin."

Not that that has anything to do with anything, but yeah steroids in competitive sports is bad, but if you want to take them because you aspire to be a musclebound asshole, go right ahead and do it. In those cases it's the vanity I find more disgusting.

I could very much relate to this. I use to be one of those people who would say "oh man, I can't do anything in the morning without my coffee" and when I actually stopped drinking it, it didn't really make a difference. I do believe that it can be addictive, but I guess you're right that it is more socially acceptable to say that about coffee when it indeed acts/is like a drug.

I personally don't care what other people do with their bodies when it comes to steroids. But concerning the health risks it has, I would only take steroids if they are mandated by a doctor.
thanks 1 user thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
Offline Rincewind  
#8 Posted : 18 June 2013 01:45:00(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Actual steroids have no l
and im just like:
Offline Rincewind  
#9 Posted : 18 June 2013 01:45:45(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Actual steroids have no long term irreversible effects in men as they are all hormones naturally found in men..
and im just like:
Offline Gildermershina  
#10 Posted : 18 June 2013 05:51:23(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post
Actual steroids have no long term irreversible effects in men as they are all hormones naturally found in men..

Yeah, except when they're used in high doses where they can result in liver damage and high blood pressure...

Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post
But the effects you get from steroids in a lot of cases you can also achieve using other legal means ie high altitude training etc... If one is illegal because it gives an unfair edge to a competitor, shouldn't all other means of achieving that result also be illegal?

That's ridiculous. Taking steroids is easy and artificial. High altitude training is not. The entire point is that competitors should use natural training methods that involve diet and exercise, and not pump themselves up with a drug as a shortcut. Not everyone has access to the same training, the same resources etc, but that's why competition works. You can still win if you train harder and have a natural athletic advantage. Personally I have zero interest in competitive sports of any kind, but the idea that drugs play just as big a role as actual physical work, the entire reason for the sport to exist in the first place, it just suggests to me that the whole endeavour is irrevocably dumb.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Gildermershina for this useful post.