logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline snap_itshannah  
#41 Posted : 24 June 2013 02:21:20(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Groups: Registered
You have been a member since:: 01/10/2012(UTC)
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6355 time(s) in 2888 post(s)
REVIEW: Weekend's "Out of My Mind" & Escape Artists Never Die's "You're in My Nightmares"
AKA
I GUESS THIS IS WHAT MUSIC HAS COME TO.
UserPostedImage & UserPostedImage

There are a few things I learned as I was listening to these songs, preparing for this review, bourbon in one hand, and a pen directly aimed at my speakers if they ever dared to play these songs again in the other: 1.) If you put a group of moderately attractive men (if you can call the members of Weekend men) together, people will automatically love them, no matter what they do. 2.) Counterbalancing shitty music is easy when all you have as fans are a bunch of hormonally challenged teenage girls. And 3.) there isn't enough alcohol in the world to drown out the sound of grown men whining. Once again, the music industry has let me down, and I need to judge it.

Let's start with Weekend's song -- song used in the loosest sense of the word here. I will give it to them that they tried. Tried and failed, but tried. The song is different than other Weekend songs, but in sound only. Rather than Weekend's normal pop-dance-shit music that they normally put out, this song has much more of an R&B feeling tow it. Not enough to make it good, but still different. I'm not complaining, but I'm not sure why Weekend felt like they needed to change their sound, because they're all obviously getting enough tail as it is with the sound they already had. Were they trying to show that they're versatile? Maybe they were trying to reach out to a bigger audience? Were they are very confused for a few moments in their life when they recorded the song? Whatever it was, let me try to clear some things up for you, Weekend: You didn't prove anything to us. Rather than come off as versatile, you just showed us that you can make both pop and R&B sound like shit. You still have the same shallow lyrics, and the same shallow singers that you did before. You also did not reach a bigger audience. The same dumbasses are listening to you now as they did then, and a lot of them are confused as to why this shit sounds different than your old shit. And finally, if you did make this song out of pure confusion, my advice is to lay off the drugs and dick for a while. That's all. Wasn't one of these guys a coke head for a while, and they let him keep his kid? I swear, this band is like the George W. Bush of bands. They fuck up over and over again, take highly addicted drugs, say the stupidest shit on earth, but they get to keep custody over their kids/country. By the way, parents, these are the boys that your young daughters have posters of on their walls. These are the types of boys they think they should marry. Good luck with that.

On the other side of this garbage heap, we have Escape Artists Never Die. You might remember them as part of the three bands of puppy dogs that begged and rolled over for Scott RH's approval, and then did nothing for a couple months after they got it. Well, they finally released their first single, and fuck I wished they would have stayed quiet just a little bit longer. While Weekend's fans are mostly the pre-teens that are trying to fit in with the crowd and don't have minds of their own, we can definitely conclude that Escape Artists Never Die's fans are mostly those kids who grew up and are not trying to be "different" and "deep." You're not being different and deep, though, kids. Escape Artists Never Die's lyrics are just shallow and contrived as Weekend's, but I guess if you add somebody screaming them in a voice that could easily be compared to an overweight dying whale, then you're being deep and meaningful. My problem with Escape Artists Never Die is not the music or the lyrics or anything like that. I realize that I'm just one man, and, in the greater scheme of things, my opinion doesn't matter at all. No matter what I say about this band, they will still have fans. And who knows, maybe they deserve these fans, and I just don't see it. No, none of that is really my problem here. My problem with EAND is that they're trying to act like their sound is something new and different than everything else. Boys, it's not. I'm sorry. And any punk with a well-exercised thoracic diaphragm could do exactly what you're doing right now. There. I said my piece. I'm done.

I don't like either of these bands. If that wasn't obvious from the first paragraph, then you're a dumbass. But my opinion isn't going to stop them from making music, and it definitely isn't going to stop other people from buying it, so no matter what score I give them, it won't make any difference. So I guess I'll leave this review with some advice for both of them: You're not the hot shit that you think you are. You saying the same bullshit everybody else is saying, but more people are listening to you, and that's the only difference. To steal a line: "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world." Got it, boys?

OOC: Ugh, writing mean reviews are hard when I did genuinely love both of the songs. Both of you did a really nice job, as always, so please don't take anything I write personally. It's all purely in character.

Edited by user 24 June 2013 02:58:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 24/06/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 24/06/2013(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 24/06/2013(UTC), Walton on 24/06/2013(UTC), erich hess on 24/06/2013(UTC)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#42 Posted : 24 June 2013 03:27:54(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

Christopher: I'm actually pretty scared now because we're releasing our debut single very soon and I have a feeling this site is on to us!

Ethan Mclean: Don't be scared. Critics will always be critics, I genuinely thought both of these songs were great and look....

Bryan Litrell: I think the reviewer was pretty darn harsh if you ask me!

Justin: Bryan you think everything is harsh!

AJ: I'm just going to stay quiet for this one..

OOC: Really nice job! Honestly, these reviews are top notch work. Love the blogger personality you put into them :)
Offline genocidal king  
#43 Posted : 24 June 2013 03:53:16(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Zac: He thinks I'm hot. I'm hard.

Gio: I think we all are. Apparently it's a bad thing though.

Zac: Apparently. Remind me to go round and slap my mother for making me so beautiful. And thanks for the review Mr Holter. If you ever fancy reviewing the actual music, give me a shout and I'll send you a CD, it can't be easy reviewing just a picture of us :)

Gio: Jealousy is the mother of all hatred, bro.
UserPostedImage
Offline snap_itshannah  
#44 Posted : 24 June 2013 03:57:08(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:

Christopher: I'm actually pretty scared now because we're releasing our debut single very soon and I have a feeling this site is on to us!

Ethan Mclean: Don't be scared. Critics will always be critics, I genuinely thought both of these songs were great and look....

Bryan Litrell: I think the reviewer was pretty darn harsh if you ask me!

Justin: Bryan you think everything is harsh!

AJ: I'm just going to stay quiet for this one..

OOC: Really nice job! Honestly, these reviews are top notch work. Love the blogger personality you put into them :)

OOC: Thank you so much. :)

Alec: You five are singers...? Fuck, all this time I thought you were a group of male models or something like that. Ugh.
Offline snap_itshannah  
#45 Posted : 24 June 2013 04:00:16(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Zac: He thinks I'm hot. I'm hard.

Gio: I think we all are. Apparently it's a bad thing though.

Zac: Apparently. Remind me to go round and slap my mother for making me so beautiful. And thanks for the review Mr Holter. If you ever fancy reviewing the actual music, give me a shout and I'll send you a CD, it can't be easy reviewing just a picture of us :)

Gio: Jealousy is the mother of all hatred, bro.

Alec: Hm, it seems like you're just as shallow as your music -- which I did talk about, if you would actually read the review --made you out to be. Carry on. Karma will catch up to you, and eventually your fans will see it, too.
Offline genocidal king  
#46 Posted : 24 June 2013 04:07:17(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Zac: Professional writer....doesn't understand sarcasm. Fair enough. The point I was making, sir, is that you are reviewing music and you wrote less than a sentence about our music, instead focusing on our image and making unsubstantiated stabs in the dark at what our fan base might be like. You'll become a bitter old man with that attitude.
UserPostedImage
Offline snap_itshannah  
#47 Posted : 24 June 2013 04:14:20(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Zac: Professional writer....doesn't understand sarcasm. Fair enough. The point I was making, sir, is that you are reviewing music and you wrote less than a sentence about our music, instead focusing on our image and making unsubstantiated stabs in the dark at what our fan base might be like. You'll become a bitter old man with that attitude.

Alec: I assure you that I caught your sarcasm, sir. You're very witty. Anybody who told you that people will only judge you by what sounds you're making in the music industry was not looking out for your best interest, because it's a lot more than that. Not ready for other people to share their opinions about who you are? Then you should probably get the fuck out. :)
Offline genocidal king  
#48 Posted : 24 June 2013 04:18:43(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Zac: Oh you're free to spout your opinions wheresoever you should wish my friend. I'm just saying if you want people to take you seriously as a MUSIC reviewer, you might want to, ya know, review music. I'm well aware that people will make comments about how I look or carry myself, thts cool. As you say, it won't stop our fans from buying our music.
UserPostedImage
Offline erich hess  
#49 Posted : 24 June 2013 09:16:21(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17997 time(s) in 10464 post(s)
erica: i...i cant believe he doesnt like weekend. it's like i read the words...and they dont make sense together.

nina:like "erica is very busty". *laughs*

erica:shut up! this is serious.

nina:um,love? arent you like...i dunno, 40? far too old to be into weekend.

erica:i am NOT 40!

nina:still way to old to be checking out the weekend boys,now alec on the other hand..

erica:ew. he is all beardy and penis equipped.

nina:um.....you do know weekend is all men?

erica:well yeah,but they are femmy enough to be excused.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline snap_itshannah  
#50 Posted : 16 June 2014 07:43:15(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

REVIEW: Hayden's "Shit Happens"
AKA
HI, I'M BACK, I GUESS
UserPostedImage

Alright, it's been a long time since I've been around, but I'm back and with some major pent up feelings regarding all the new releases, so this should be fun. I decided to start back with Hayden Merjos' newest album "Shit Happens." No, I'm not going to do the little asterisk for the "i," because assuming that I'm protecting young eyes or the people that would be offended by the word SHIT by using the asterisk is naivety at it's highest regard. Nobody is walking by this album cover and thinking, "Well, I don't know what that word is, but it's not a curse word, so I think I'll buy this." The Dead Kennedys had no problem putting "Fuck" on the cover of Too Drunk to Fuck. They let other people take care of the obscenity because they, honestly, didn't give a shit. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way comparing Hayden to the Dead Kennedys in terms of music. I just found it pretty ironic that Hayden has this whole "I don't give a fuck" attitude, and then censors his own album cover.

I'll be honest, I have a problem with this guy's attitude to begin with. He's an asshole that's been riding on his family's fame for a long time now. Like, "Ohhh! You threw a chair during an awards show! How punk rock! How edgy!" And then right before the Chaos Awards, he tweets, "I can't not promise I won't throw a chair," which, if he were paying attention to the double negative, means that he's promising he won't throw a chair. What a genius writer and lyricist. But, don't worry guys, he definitely threw a chair that night. Towards somebody. For disagreeing with the announcement that Hayden and Katie Merjos won Best Couple. These things were witnessed, and apparently nobody wants to talk about - maybe for fear of having a chair thrown at them. Rum - of Rum & Coke - was the woman that was hit by the chair, and she literally laid on the ground for about five minutes, and nobody helped her. Of course, I was there and didn't help her either, but Best Group was about to be announced, and I had bet with Carmen Grant that Weekend would win even though they've released, like, two songs for this entire year, while other groups like Rum & Coke - who wouldn't have been able to accept their award anyway, since one half of the group was laying on the floor - have put in a shit ton of work so far and didn't win anything in terms of musical recognition. These girls have released so much that I'm starting to get extremely tired of them. So much that I can't turn on my radio without hearing one of their songs within ten minutes. So much that I wonder if they ever do anything else with their time.

Hm, that was a tangent I didn't mean to go on. I guess I really do have a lot of pent up feelings towards these artists. MAN, IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK.

Anyway, I guess I should get to reviewing the damn album, huh? Shit Happens wasn't a bad album. In fact, I'll even use the word "good" for it. I try not to let my personal feelings get in the way of how I feel about a artist's music, and here's proof that I've been working very hard on just that. From just a "judging a book by it's cover" first look at the album, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued. The cover art was great, and a real step away from the normal cover art of a solo artist, which is normally either a high-gloss, airbrushed photo of the artist with their head turned to the side so you can only see half of their face, or a high-gloss, airbrushed photo of the artist staring intently at the camera with come-hither eyes. Also, the album had some great track titles, which I feel like most artists have been lacking on lately. I realize that it's easy to just name a song after a word that you say a lot in the chorus, but Hayden - for the most part - stepped outside of that and gave a few of his tracks interesting titles like "Guiltiest Man," "She Just Looked Better to Me, But You're Alright," and - of course - "LSD," which I was wary about until I read that Hayden has confessed to never actually trying LSD, and purely wrote the song on hearsay. Which still made me a bit wary, but honestly, the song could be worse. It's no Lucy in the Sky, but it's also not shit, so there you go.

I'm just going to go ahead and jump right into my favorites and least favorites of the album, because honestly - there's a lot of good songs, and then there's a lot of mediocre songs that I thought about skipping over immediately. That's not saying that they're bad, that's just saying that they were boring. The album unfortunately started off with the worst songs on the entire album, called "Dancing Shoes." It high-energy, but not in a fun way. It's high-energy in an annoying way. I was pretty done with it before it even reached the halfway mark. This "high school pep rally" rock is not Hayden's strong suit at all, and made me feel like all the maturity that he had shown through his singles like "Piece of Mind," "Take Your Place," and "How to Get On By" just went down the drain.

I'm a pretty big folk and folk rock fan, so there were several songs on the album that I did like. "Is There More?" and "Guiltiest Man" won back a lot of points that Hayden had originally lost with his horrible beginning. "Is There More?" was especially enjoyable and was high-energy in the good way. If I were in charge of the album, I would have put "Is There More?" first, and then completely destroyed any evidence that "Dancing Shoes" ever existed. "Guiltiest Man" is another top contender for my favorite song on the album. So far, I've felt that some of Hayden's best work has been his collaborations with other artists, and this uncredited one with Bianca Moretti is especially good. It's different from other songs on the album, but not so much that I feel like it's completely out of place. It's sounds like the type of song you would hear in a modern western film, and the maturity and the emotion of the song blew me away. This should be the type of music that Hayden pursues more of in the coming years of his career.

My favorite song on the album, however, would definitely have to be the third single that Hayden released, "Take Your Place," with Allison Cooper.

By the way, can we talk about Allison Cooper for a second?

First of all, when I first heard about her, I thought that people were talking about Alice Cooper and not Allison Cooper, so that was confusing. And then I looked her up and saw that she is just as freaky looking as Alice Cooper, so that was an honest mistake. Remember when celebrities seemed like perfect human beings that never had any problems, and we all wanted to be like them so we could get away from our normal struggles and lives? When did it start becoming cool for celebrities to be fucked up psychos? They used to hide their addictions and psychiatric problems from the world so they could continue to look like royalty compared to the norm. But now we have people like Allison Cooper, Radio Vine and others whose entire basis of their appeal is that they're crazy as fuck, and look like they're going to have a mental breakdown or stab somebody every ten minutes. I don't get the appeal. And yes, yes, I realize that they're just people too, and everybody has problems, but I can assure you that people with the same problems as them do not publicly display them in the ways that they do. There's a line between being overwhelmed with your issues, and just being histrionic, and I don't think I need to tell anybody which side of that line somebody like Allison Cooper finds herself. But she's a great singer, and much like how the people of the 60s ignored Judy Garland's rampant alcoholism, I suppose we'll ignore Allison Cooper's insanity for the sake of good music.

Back to the album...

"Take Your Place" is easily my favorite song on the entire album. It tells this tragic story of two people in love about to meet their end, which seemed so perfect for Allison Cooper. So perfect that when I heard Hayden had originally considered Jennifer Armstrong or Yasmine Kiambang for the collaboration, I couldn't understand why. Anyway, I'm glad that he ultimately decided on Allison for it, because both of their voices are perfect throughout the track. They have this sweet, almost delicate and breakable sound to their voice, while the brass section seems to be overwhelming them, adding to the feeling that the death that is inevitably coming for them is so much stronger than they'll ever be. That's my interpretation anyhow. And it's a pretty great one, if I say so myself.

I know I've been pretty nice to Hayden throughout this review - and maybe I've lost some of my mean spark over the few months that I was AWOL - but I mean it when I say that this isn't a bad album. Sure, some of the songs are boring and will probably be the songs you zone out to when you're listening to them in your car, but there are some real winner, too. I would honestly say that only one of the songs was a bad song, and I think I've made it pretty clear which one I thought that was.

Overall, I'd say it's a strong:

My advice to Hayden? Continue with the more mature sound that you've developed since your first album, and stick with it. Don't start to fall back on this Kidz Bop sound you suddenly threw at your listeners out of the blue. You're better than that, Hayden. I believe in you, kinda.

Edited by user 16 June 2014 07:44:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RoseJapanFan on 16/06/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 16/06/2014(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 16/06/2014(UTC), erich hess on 16/06/2014(UTC), kandii on 16/06/2014(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#51 Posted : 06 June 2015 13:21:42(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

REVIEW: SYNCO's "Our World"
AKA
MY YEARLY VISIT

If I just keep releasing these reviews once a year, I think I can maintain relevance, don't you? It's more than what Cristina Lake does!

UserPostedImage

So, this is SYNCO's newest album, "Our World," so that's still a thing that's happening. It's been two years since I last reviewed something from SYNCO, and that review, as you may remember (or not, who cares?) was not favorable at all. Looking back, I find that most of my complaints centered around the fact that only two of the five girls in the group were recognizable beings outside of the fact that they were part of SYNCO, and that their lyrics were childish and boring. If I'm honest, one of those two complaints is still true, but that means that progress is being made, and I'm a man that likes to see progress.

The girls have all grown up since two years ago, which means that me saying that the look damn hot on the cover of the album isn't creepy. In scanning through the song titles, I noticed a few featuring artist credits - all four by rappers (I downloaded the deluxe addition because I'm worth it), which I don't think was neccessary, but okay. At this point, I hadn't actually listened to the album yet, and I thought, "Yeah, that's quite a few features, but if they can make it work, then let's give them a chance." So I started up the first song.

There were a lot of high points in this album, and a few lackluster points, but all in all, even the worst songs didn't make me want to rip my ears off. Most of the features seem to work pretty well together, with Rum's verse in "You Want This" being easily one of my favorite parts of the album. Foxxxy, who I honestly thought was dead for a little bit, jumped in on "With Me," making it a pretty decent song, and Dominic Brown, who is the king of features so there was really no surprise that he was going to be on this album as well, did an alright job on "So Done." So... well done, non-SYNCO people.

For the sake of trying to seem like a somewhat amiable person, I'll start with the tracks that I liked the most. There were definitely some big winners that deserve praise and recognition, and I've always believed in giving credit where credit is due. "Stay Awhile," which was a single that was released earlier in March, will always be one of my favorite SYNCO songs, and one of the few songs by a girl group that I don't feel ashamed to say that I bought. It's a fantastic concept for a song, and also isn't completely dominated by Layla Sanchez, which SYNCO seems to be guilty of doing a lot. Instead, each of the girls get a chance to show off their vocal abilities (which are so much improved compared to two years ago that it's amazing), and they don't try to shy away from showing off their flawless harmonies, so I really only have good things to say about that track. Another big winner (which you'll only get if you buy the deluxe addition, so I'd say go for it) is the last song on the album, "Them Ladies." It's the - and I don't use this word often - perfect ending to the album. The song absolutely does not take itself seriously at all, but still brings the entire experience to a close, making you want to listen to it again. They name drop just about every girl group to exist in the past couple of years within the song, but instead of belittling each group and trying to make the song into a pissing contest with the other singers (as some artists are so apt to do), they compliment each group individually? Yeah, it was a little surprising, but not bad at all. They had fun with the track, and in the end, isn't that what you're supposed to do? Have fun? Something like that.

Of course, I had to have a favorite track on the album, because everybody has to find a track that they love so much that they'll throw a fit over Twitter if that song isn't released as the next single immediately after. My particular favorite happens to be "Don't Even Wanna Know." It's the final song on the non-deluxe version of the album, and easily the best track on that version. Nicole, who I know nothing about except for that she's probably my favorite singer out of the group of five for this song alone, is the leader of the song, and achieves vocal perfection without sounding like she's even trying that hard, and for that, she gets a big ol' A+. There you go, Nicole. Spend it wisely, or whatever, I don't know. Songs that are simple, yet still beautiful, always get high marks in my book, and that's exactly what the girls achieved with "Don't Even Wanna Know."

But, of course, there had to be some failures - the two biggest of which being "What We Do" and "Don't Wait Up." In "What We Do," the girls definitely reverted back into their old selves, and it was very disappointing. With completely immature lyrics, and a beat that isn't catchy but actually just annoying, the girls seem to mechanically stumble through the song, giving the listeners absolutely nothing to hold on to, and leaving them just sitting there, waiting for the next track to play. It was so disappointing that it almost ruined the rest of the album for me, but it actually wasn't as bad as "Don't Wait Up." Despite Nicole being so heavily featured in "Don't Wait Up," that did not stop it from easily being the worst song on the album.

"Don't Wait Up" is the absolute definition of a filler song, and nobody is impressed. It's a very stereotypical high energy (but low quality) dance song about a break-up that nobody really cares about because you haven't given anybody any motivation to care about your ended relationship with your average lyrics, average beat, and average producing. In complete honesty, "What We Do" is probably, quality-wise, much worse than "Don't Wait Up," but at least in "What We Do," the girls don't really sound like they're trying that hard in the first place. In "Don't Wait Up," it sounds like they put in just enough effort so that they could defend themselves if anybody tried to accuse them of writing a filler song. And that just kind of pisses me off. As a consumer of your product, SYNCO, I'd rather you not half-ass your songs for the sake of trying to pass one off as a good one, because you're not really fooling anybody. We've already seen you at your worst, and we know what your worst sounds like, so trying to pass off a reproduction of your worst again really isn't doing you any favors.

But then I listened to "Don't Even Wanna Know" again, and everything went back to seeming right in the world.

So, overall, it's not a terrible album. Actually, it's not even close to being terrible. In the wonderful world is star ratings, I give it a:

UserPostedImage

I like where SYNCO is now much more than where they were two years ago. They've really surprised me this past year, and I'm not the type of guy that's easily surprised. Everybody talks about these girls, and now it's easy to see why.

And that's the story of how SYNCO redeemed themselves to me in only two years. Goodnight, everybody! See you next year!
mebeme101 on 06/06/2015(UTC), erich hess on 06/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 06/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 06/06/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 07/06/2015(UTC)