logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2013 12:40:44(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage

SIDE A
Album : Epiphany
Track : Failed Escape
Artist :
( Rum & ) Coke
Genre : PBR&B
Label : Tric-Jam Records
Written by : Airemese Smith , Nina Tarantino
Produced by : NinaT
Length : 3:38
Released : December 10th, 2013

Failed Escape off the back gives off a dark feeling with just the intro of the beat . That's pretty much because the meaning of the song is dark but is overlooked by the way Coke sings it . Her voice stays almost one tone , with very light and cut throat riffs . Nobody has ever heard Coke sing like this , as this is the first time in the album she starts to sing in this ' alternate voice ' . The whole song gives off a laid back feel when Coke continues with these vocals , and the beat nearly stays the same throughout the whole song . You would think that would get boring , but if you actually sit and pay attention , the deep lyrics would really take some time to give thought about , making references to Alice In Wonderland , which is a movie full of mind twisters for kids and adults , and making references to The Wizard of Oz , also a movie full of mind twisters for kids and adults . Throughout the song she continues to figuratively call herself a mannequin , trying to deny her feelings of confusion , guilt and stress . The song overall is about her daydreaming about ... her daydreams . Contemplating , if you will . What you would notice in the song is that the references she makes to the 2 famous movies , are movies about 2 little girls in a daydream or the french term Rum & Coke have been using a lot lately , reverie , which means to pleasantly daydream or be caught up in one's idol thoughts . It's kind of strange that she referenced the two movies in a song about trapping yourself when fame gets the best of your life . What does Alice and Dorothy have to do with anybody famous ? What's so bad about fame that the person Coke writes about feels they have to consider themselves an emotionless item , a mannequin ? And most of all , why is this girl just sitting in a cage she could easily escape from ? Those questions and other questions you have about the lyrics circle your brain as they get accompanied by the dark beat and beautiful voice , making this song a masterpiece .

[Verse 1]
Fame is a cage , without a key
Without a lock , escape if you please
Or you could just ... sail away ...
A reverie , a reverie
Did you hear the white rabbit call my name ?
It's calling my name

[Pre-Hook]
... Or is it just me ?
I cannot tell
Sometimes I loose myself
It really doesn't make much sense
It's just a failed ....
Escape

[Hook]
Cause I can't face the Hell
I wasn't made for this
No human is
But I was a human
Now I'm a mannequin

Trapped in this cage,
Feeling ... lonely with no hopes of escape
But that's not the case ... Nay .
Sitting in this cage,
Feeling ... absolutely nothing .
Dissocia...
-ted

[Verse 2:]
Familiar zone , forgetting my wrongs
My conscious is ' clear ' , but my shoes have gone
Somewhere over ... the rainbow
Yellow Brick Road , Yellow Brick Road
To follow it was what I was told
So I do as I'm told
... But I still don't know

[Bridge]
I think I've been here , once before , I'm ..
Sure I've been down this road , oh...
I guess that's kinda strange
Kinda-kinda strange
I-I guess that's strange

[Hook]
Sometimes I loose myself ...
I wasn't made for this
No human is
But I was a human
Now I'm a mannequin

Trapped in this cage,
Sitting in this cage,
Feeling ... nothing cause I'm not a human
Dissocia...

[Pre-Hook]
... Yep it's just me .
Sometimes I loose myself
It's just a failed ....
Escape

SIDE B
Album : Epiphany
Track : Epiphany
Artist : Rum & Coke
Genre : PBR&B
Label : Tric-Jam Records
Written by : Airemese Smith , Nina Tarantino
Produced by : NinaT and inZane
Length : 2:34
Released : December 10th, 2013

The song starts off with an intro of 4 men talking . The 4 are well known public speakers from Canada . The intro starts with the first man asking what happens when things get bad . Do you have a back up plan ? The next man sounds way more intense than the first . He is explaining what it is like and what you do when you try and hide away from an epiphany . When you try to hide away from a problem , instead of just facing it . Explaining that we tend to blame it on the next person , trying to make it seem like its not really your problem , it's theirs . The third speaker says firmly but softly , trouble doesn't come from nowhere . Giving off the feeling that this problem has been staring you in the face this whole time ... where have you been ? And the last one almost in a scolding way says " Your weakness is a perfect match ! " , finishing off the whole speech . After that last comment the whole intro comes together . It summarizes to : You have no way out and trying to hide from it won't help . It has been there this whole time , molding into your mindset making it even harder for you to face it and fight through it . While you hear them you can hear Coke vocalizing in the background and as soon as the intro is done Rum softly says | Wake up | which adds on saying stop hiding and just face it . That's just when Coke starts to sing the first verse . She begins to narrate a story of someone who has had a troubled life and still managed to live through it and be happy , but lately it has been getting out of hand and on top of that everybody has their own problems and doesn't care and help each other out like they used to , which in times like these is when we are supposed to help each other out and stick together . So it has been like this for a while and she finally is seeing that things were always bad , which she already knew , just she didn't know exactly how bad . Coke melodiously sings this in a calm but strong tone . Though she is singing very simplistic it shows off the work ethic of her voice very well . Especially when she moves on to the second verse , switching from high to low throughout it . Coke goes on to somewhat ' comment ' on the story she just told , saying how she doesn't get it and continues . Once the second verse ends , Coke's voice begins to sing in a high ' falsetto ' . This new ' falsetto ' , that she is just now beginning to use in ' Epiphany ' is in a high pitch , but to the point where it almost sounds child like . When the bridge is over , Rum & Coke's voice breaks into harmony again and Rum comes in saying/singing in a soft voice , Fear not | I got you always | She continues the rest of the song in the same voice about 4 times and Coke finishes off singing the last part in a very high pitch . The music then fades off until you can't hear it anymore .[/i]

Rum
Coke
Both
Intro ( Men )

[Intro]
What happens when life breaks down? When there's systemic contradiction?
It's projecting , self-justifying , excusing , accusing , denying , well I don't have a problem
There's nothing wrong with me ...
So if it's not me , it must be you , or it must be them, or it must be him
Trouble doesn't come from nowhere
Your weakness is a perfect match !

Wake up ...

[Verse 1]
Tryna live your life , but this is getting hard .
Everybody's troubled and it's tearing us apart .
The struggle is real and now it's staring you in the face .
A whole bunch of people call it an epiphany ...

( An epiphany , an epiphany )
A whole bunch of people call it an epiphany ...
( An epiphany , an epiphany )
Ooh ...

[Verse 2]
But I don't understand how you could be so baffled ,
Just another typical bitch in denial .
You know this ain't where we're supposed to be ,
But you're being normal , so you must be free ...

( Must be free , must be free )
Do you even know what that means ?
( What that means , what that means )
No ...

[Bridge]
But just in case you died , at least you followed all the rules ...
Working 9 to 5 ,
Got married on the side ,
Did everything they wanted you to .
They say you only see , exactly what you choose ...
That's why you're seeing
The optical illusions
That you blindly concurred to ...

Ooh ...

[Hook]
But fear not ... I got you , always .
Fear not ... I'm your soul and I'll never fade ...
Fear not ...

You just have to face your epiphany .

UserPostedImage

Directed by : Airemese Smith
Shot by : Yasmine Kiambang
Starring : Allison Cooper

UserPostedImage

Allison Cooper is on the floor . Her eyes are open but she's not moving or making a sound . Is she dead ? Is she passed out ? Nothing surrounds her but 4 walls as she lies there on the cold and dusty hardwood floor . Slowly the camera zooms in on her as Rum's voice over begins to play .

" It's no longer you vs. the world
No longer you vs. them
Or my word vs. theirs
It's you vs. your flesh
'Cause even though your soul may know the way
You'll always have that one thing that links you to this world telling you otherwise
You may have thought that you were just in this world and not of it
But all of that is about to change ...
If it hasn't already .
"

It's almost like a black screen comes crashing down on the video after Rum says that last line and right away the music to 'Failed Escape' starts . Once Coke finally begins to sing , the video continues . Allison is now prancing around and gracefully dancing to the beat of the song . She eventually breaks out into laughter , indicating that she might be drunk , and then trips over something and ends up on a chair . She then slowly slides out of the chair and ends up laying down on the floor with her eyes half open , like she's sleepy or simply daydreaming .

UserPostedImage

Fame is a cage , without a key
Without a lock , escape if you please
Or you could just ... sail away ...

After those 4 lines the music stops and the video cuts to a clip of one of the older animations of Alice In Wonderland . This is also shown in gray scale as the clip shows Alice daydreaming on the ground , just like Allison was just doing in the previous scene . While Alice lays , Allison's voice recites the song 'In A World Of My Own' which is featured in Alice In Wonderland . She doesn't sing it though , just lightly speaks it as wind blows .

UserPostedImage

" Cats and rabbits
Would reside in fancy little houses
And be dressed in shoes
And hats and trousers
In a world of my own

All the flowers
Would have very
Extra-special powers
They would sit
And talk to me for hours
When I'm lonely
In a world of my own

There'd be new birds
Lots of nice and friendly
How-de-do do birds
Everyone would have
A dozen blue birds
Within that world of my own

I could listen to a babbling brook
And hear a song that I could understand
I keep wishing it could be that way
Because my world would be a wonderland "

Once the scene is over with , 'Failed Escape' starts back and continues to play the first verse . Allison is again seen prancing and dancing gracefully but this time in the middle of flowers and grass which is surrounded by trees . She begins to twirl as she carelessly dances and doesn't even notice the hole which is only a few feet away . That's when the line |Or is it just me ?| plays and the black screen once again comes crashing down on the video . Just as the pre-hook comes on the video goes to another clip of Alice In Wonderland and shows Alice falling down the hole and the music plays over her screams .

UserPostedImage

A reverie , a reverie
Did you hear the white rabbit call my name ?
It's calling my name

... Or is it just me ?

UserPostedImage

I cannot tell
Sometimes I loose myself
It's just a failed ....
Escape

I wasn't made for this
No human is
But I was a human
Now I'm a mannequin

Allison takes a glance at the strange -- but somehow familiar -- land she's in behind the bars of her bird cage . She looks fascinated but at the same time worried and confused but it's clear that this is not where she belongs . She stands there in the cage , looking around frantically hoping someone will find her and free her until she ultimately notices that she's in this land all by herself .

UserPostedImage

Trapped in this cage,
Sitting in this cage,
Feeling ... absolutely nothing .
Dissocia...
-ted

Just when the first part of the song ends , Alice -- who is sitting down -- begins to speak . She has a worried expression on her face as she talks to someone who is with her -- a person or thing we cannot see .

UserPostedImage

"I give myself good advice , but I very seldom follow it ."

Waking up from god knows what , Allison rises from off a white couch absentminded . You can tell by the way she looks around that her conscious is definitely clear and she has absolutely no idea whats going on .

UserPostedImage

Familiar zone , forgetting my wrongs
My conscious is ' clear ' , but my shoes have gone
Somewhere over ... the rainbow

A strange cat who seems to have all of Alice's attention shows her a gateway to another world with a sly grin on his face right before disappearing , somehow knowing that Alice would be intrigued by it . Though still Alice takes a moment to think it over .

UserPostedImage

Yellow Brick Road , Yellow Brick Road
To follow it was what I was told
So I do as I'm told
... But I still don't know

Once again , looking like she is as clueless as can be , Allison is shown talking to someone who seems to filling her in on everything and telling her what to do next . According to the video , nothing of what this person is telling her is true and something inside of Allison knows this so for a minute she is hesitant to do what the person says . But then she takes a look over at the mannequins behind her and realizes her "place" .

UserPostedImage

I think I've been here , once before , I'm ..
Sure I've been down this road , oh...
I guess that's kinda strange
Kinda-kinda strange
I-I guess that's strange

Now with the impression that Allison finally knows her place , her and the once familiar land are now strangers to each other . This is shown when Alice carefully steps into a new land and the definition of the Latin phrase 'terra incognita' appears on the screen .

UserPostedImage

Sometimes I loose myself ...
I wasn't made for this
No human is
But I was a human
Now I'm a mannequin

It appears whatever has been encouraging Allison to stay in a land she doesn't want to be in is taking good care of her seeing that every time she is seen she has on a different dress , each one more glamorous than the other . But that doesn't change the fact that she doesn't look happy in any of the shots . In the last one she finds a chair and looks at it for a moment before sitting in it . She looks down at her fingers , playing with them right before beginning to talk to herself . But just as she does , the video cuts to another clip of Alice who is also in a chair and begins to speak , indicating that since it was cut to at the very last moment , that what Alice said just might have been the same thing Allison was about to say .

UserPostedImage

Trapped in this cage,
Sitting in this cage,
Feeling ... nothing cause I'm not a human
Dissocia...

... Yep it's just me .
Sometimes I loose myself
It's just a failed ....
Escape

UserPostedImage

" I'm afraid I can't explain myself , sir , because you know , I'm not myself . "

UserPostedImage

thanks 5 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
erich hess on 11/12/2013(UTC), Walton on 11/12/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 11/12/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 11/12/2013(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 23/12/2013(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2013 13:11:24(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: Soooo good! I really love the quality of your RPs you can tell that you spend alot of time on them to make them come out great, and they never fail. And that video, off the chain girl.;) lmaao. Keep up the great work, you were such a good addition to these forums.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
kandii on 11/12/2013(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2013 13:14:54(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17997 time(s) in 10464 post(s)
ooc:shit. i need to outsource to you for all my music rp's.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2013 13:48:19(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: What a great video this was from start to finish. I especially liked the Alice in Wonderland incorporation and the beautiful concept. :)

ooc: This is really great. Nice job!
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2013 14:41:32(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Pixie: This video was absolutely stunning! One of the best videos I've seen in a long time, love the work and the art all of you women create. And people wonder why it's such a female dominated industry... ;)

OOC: Ditto on what everyone else said :) I also love the concept as well.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Offline Andre Gandra  
#6 Posted : 11 December 2013 21:42:44(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
mISTER_b: Visually disturbing yet beautiful! Allison you look so fancy in all those dresses in the last scene but also so sad sit in that chair and it totally made sense when Alice told that last phrase. It crazy how much a music video can add to a song's meaning, Amazing Job!

OOC: Really well done.
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 1 user thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
kandii on 12/12/2013(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#7 Posted : 23 December 2013 06:09:08(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Soooo good! I really love the quality of your RPs you can tell that you spend alot of time on them to make them come out great, and they never fail. And that video, off the chain girl.;) lmaao. Keep up the great work, you were such a good addition to these forums.

OOC : Wow , thank you so much lol . All this really means a lot :)

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
ooc:shit. i need to outsource to you for all my music rp's.

OOC : Lmao .

Originally Posted by: Princess_Valentine Go to Quoted Post
Kourtney: What a great video this was from start to finish. I especially liked the Alice in Wonderland incorporation and the beautiful concept. :)

ooc: This is really great. Nice job!

Airemese : Thank you, Kourtney . Worked really hard on directing this one .

OOC : Thank you :)

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Pixie: This video was absolutely stunning! One of the best videos I've seen in a long time, love the work and the art all of you women create. And people wonder why it's such a female dominated industry... ;)

OOC: Ditto on what everyone else said :) I also love the concept as well.

Allison : It was of course stunning and the best because I was in it . I know , I know .

Airemese : Yessss , just know from now on you will forever be getting quoted ;)

OOC : Thank you as well !

Originally Posted by: Andre Gandra Go to Quoted Post
mISTER_b: Visually disturbing yet beautiful! Allison you look so fancy in all those dresses in the last scene but also so sad sit in that chair and it totally made sense when Alice told that last phrase. It crazy how much a music video can add to a song's meaning, Amazing Job!

OOC: Really well done.

Allison : *Dramatically bows* Thank yooou , thank you very much .

Airemese : Thank you so much mISTER_b ! Really had to put a lot of thought into this one to understand it and I'm glad you caught on :P

OOC : Thanks !
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#8 Posted : 23 December 2013 06:16:56(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3996 time(s) in 1366 post(s)
OOC - how on earth did I miss this, great job I like the concept well done Semeria :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked AmyJayneXoX for this useful post.
kandii on 23/12/2013(UTC)