logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2015 08:13:12(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Groups: Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3999 time(s) in 1367 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Title: Far Too Many
Length: 3.34
Genre: Indietronica, New Wave
Label: Kaleidoscope Records
Written By: Evalyn Dixon
Produced By: Greg Kurstin, Jamie Stamp
Sounds Like: Sky Ferreira - Boys

"Far Too Many" is the new single by British Alternative singer Evalyn Dixon, the single is her fourth single overall, following from her two singles from her debut EP "Cruise Control" and a Christmas single, the song is the lead single from debut full length album. The song also marks her first official release with label Keleidoscope Records. The song was written by Evalyn Dixon herself, lyrically the song talks about going to a club and there being to many attractive men around and how she came with one guy but left with another. Production for the song was handled by Greg Kurstin and Jamie Stamp, marking the first time Evalyn has had the services of big time producers, the song will be released via Keleidoscope Records on the 18th of May.

The song starts with a new wave beat as Evalyn starts singing in a higher key with a rather soft tone to her voice she stays in this key for the entire first verse showcasing a great deal of control in the higher range of her voice, as she begins to sing the bridge the beat changes and slows down to a more indie sound, Evalyn then can be heard singing with again the soft high range tone in her voice again showing control in her vocals there is also backing vocals provided here by Evalyn's friend and producer Zoey Daniels, as the bridge ends the beat once again picks up again to a more new wave sound as Evalyn begins to sing the chorus this time she sings in a lower key and her voice becomes slightly husky instead of the soft tone that was used in previous verses, higher vocals are not as controlled in the lower range but the tone in her voice was still there after the chorus the beat changes slightly a more indie sound as Evalyn begins to sing the second verse of the song once again with the higher more soft tone to her voice and the control is maintained once again, after this verse again there is a bridge section with the beat once again changing to a more new wave sound however Evalyn this time sings the bridge still in a higher key but towards the end sings in a lower key again Zoey Daniels provides backing vocals, the beat changes once again to an new wave beat as Evalyn sings the final chours once again in the higher range of her vocals however this chours is slightly different due to the faft that evalyn seems to drop in and out between her high and low register, then is another bridge section again with Evalyn singing in the lower key but this bridge section however has no backing vocals by Zoey, the beat then changed again to a more indie beat as Evalyn sings the chorus once again with the higher key and again drops in and out of her high and low range after this Evalyn finishes singing, the beat plays out for ten more seconds before the song ends.

REVIEWS
"Far Too Many" received mixed to positive reviews from critics. In his review of "Far Too Many", Jon Caramanica of The New York Times called the song "counterintuitive and brilliant" and "one of the year's unlikely pop gems". In an otherwise middling review of 'Far Too Many', Embling of Tiny Mix Tapes described the song as "so perfect, so potent that for once, you don't fear overexposure", further stating that it "transcends the present moment, not in a 'post-internet' sense, but in the way that it will soundtrack, for many people, memories of 2015. Bradley Kipton gave the song a positive review, saying it's "insanely good". He said "The defiance written all over the track is positively delicious, as Evalyn yelps her way across soldiering drum beats, synths and one monster of a chorus". Kevipod of Direct Lyrics said; "Our new favourite Brimingham girl just released a killer song worthy of being on high rotation on Top 40 radios and in the Top 5 of the charts. Amazing new wave production? check!, more politically incorrect content? check!, fierce vocals? check!, and amazingly catchy chorus, hell yeah check! My good Lord. That chorus!"

Writing for MTV Buzzworthy, Nicole James complimented the track for its successful blending of "super early Madonna" and "21st-century synthpop", and drew similarities to the catalogs of performers Chromeo, La Roux, and Robyn. She concluded her commentary by describing the song as "fun and sexy". Bradley Stern from MuuMuse spoke favorably of "Far Too Many" in his review he directed his praise towards its "blippy, skittering electronica beats and a big fat slapping bass", while additionally noting its apparent inspiration by pop singer Britney Spears. A writer for Idolator expressed excitement that Dixon continued pursuing her musical endeavors after her earlier music gain exposure. They commended Dixon and Kurstin for developing a "hard-to-resist tune" that merged 1980s inspiration with the artistic individuality that Evalyn had become associated with, and thought that the track would help her establish prominence in mainstream culture. Writing for Rolling Stone, Colleen Nika was confident that "Far Too Many" introduced a "spiky" sound that could become popular in the evolving contemporary hit radio market. However, Max Miller stated that the the "dry" vocal performance made it difficult for Evalyn to meaningfully deliver the lyrics.

Steff Yotka from Nylon wrote that listeners would "probably have a hard time staying seated while listening to it." Brad Stern, from MTV gave another positive review, calling the track a "certifiable smash" and named it as the number one out of five must-hear pop songs of the month. Justin Lipshutz from Billboard gave the song a mixed review, citing that the drop in the song seemed out of place and the title of the song was dubious. However, he praised Dixon's vocals and favorably compared the track to singer-songwriter Pixie. Jon Ali described the song as "thrilling" and, unlike Lipshutz, was favorable of the breakdow in the song. Adelle Planton of Vibe wrote that the song was "hard-hitting" and "intoxicating."Alex Kritselis from Bustle expressed that the song had "all the makings of a radio hit" and had the "potential to be as big" as hits of recent times. Nisha Diu of The Sunday Telegraph described "Far Too Many" as "a moody, energetic anthem underscored by insistent drums and a soulful vocal" Popjustice described the song as "brilliant", and Digital Spy entertainment reporter David Balls labelled the song as a "glorious slice of indie-electronica". In its review, Allmusic said the song "echoes the power pop of The Bangles and The Go-Go's". Not all reviews were positive; Artistdirect‍ '​s Nathan Atnikov labelled the song as "musically bland" and as "pedestrian dance music". Frazier McAlpine, on a BBC blog, described "Far Too Many" as "grumpily delivered", and called Dixon's voice "sulky" and "mardy-teen".

Lyrics

Boys, I kiss 'em
They come in sacks and dozen
Boys, I kill 'em
They come around like season
I don't believe 'em, I don't need any reason
Won't try fussin'
Sometimes they catch me leavin'

I saw one boy look towards me from afar
The one with dashing looks and manly vibes
The one with swagger that looked a dime
I think I'll add these boys to my archive

Far too many boys at this rave that catch my eye
It activates my A.D.H.D
I went with him
Sadly I'm going out with someone else
Far too many boys that I like, can't help that
No matter what i try
I went with him

And in my mind I'm saying
La la la la la la la la la la la la la la

Boys, better not hate me
'Cause I let that touch me
Girls, they shade me
'Cause they hate I get attention
It's not right, but how can you shade me?
No point even trying to persuade me

I saw one boy look towards me from afar
The one with dashing looks and manly vibes
The one with swagger that looked a dime
I think I'll add these boys to my archive

It activates my A.D.H.D
I went with him
No matter what i try
I went with him

Sadly I'm with going out with someone else

Now I turned my mindset to extinction
Gotta have what I please, did ya get that?
Better pay me or else I'm leaving tonight
Tonight

It activates my A.D.H.D
I went with him
No matter what i try
I went with him

SOUNDS LIKE:
UserPostedImage
thanks 12 users thanked AmyJayneXoX for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 18/05/2015(UTC), BrownSugar on 18/05/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 18/05/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 18/05/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 18/05/2015(UTC), C4AJoh on 18/05/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 24/05/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 24/05/2015(UTC), chaotic_princess on 28/05/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 31/05/2015(UTC), kandii on 01/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 02/06/2015(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#2 Posted : 24 May 2015 00:00:48(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
CosmaMendoza: This is actually really catchy! I really like this.
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 24/05/2015(UTC)
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#3 Posted : 25 May 2015 01:04:14(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3999 time(s) in 1367 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
CosmaMendoza: This is actually really catchy! I really like this.

Evalyn: Thank you so much Cosma, I am glad you find it catchy because that's ehat I was aiming for!
UserPostedImage
User is suspended until 19/07/2638 13:30:53(UTC) chaotic_princess  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2015 06:45:02(UTC)
chaotic_princess

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 52 post(s)

Zinner: You cannot go wrong when you play this song. It's so good, I'm loving the attitude!
thanks 1 user thanked chaotic_princess for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 28/05/2015(UTC)