logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2015 04:29:36(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Single: Play With Me
Artist: Mi•Mi
Label: Five Pesky Kids
Release Date: June 1st, 2015
Genre: R&B, Crunk
Written by: Airemese Smith, Mi Kyung Lee, Mae Na Geum
Produced by: FancyN
Length: 3:40

Play With Me is a song recorded by Korean-pop group Mi•Mi for the live album, He Say She Say. It was written by Airemese Smith, Mi Kyung Lee, Mae Na Geum, and produced by FancyN. A crunk&B song, Play With Me contains a prominent pan flute breakdown, a thick bassline and "club-friendly" beat. A song that marks a new era for the girls, playing out a scenario where they run into an ex and shows him just how well they've been doing without him, it's a track that's so bold that it almost teases the man, both to provoke him and to turn him on. Completely different form anything Mi•Mi has ever put out before, the lyrical content contain themes of a more mature girl power and self empowerment, some of which the critics think do the exact opposite. Overall, the song received positive reviews, it's lyrics catching a few side-eyes. Serving as the lead single for He Say She Say, it impacted urban contemporary radio and was released as a digital download in the United States on June 1st, 2015.

Play With Me was the third song written for their upcoming album. After being composed in October of 2014, it was soon enough chosen as the lead single due to it's empowering lyrics about moving on, finding yourself and not focusing on a man that has deliberately put you through hell, obviously declaring a new era for the girls. Compared to the likes of Ciara, the song was noted for it's Crunk&B vibes that made it perfect for the clubs. The song's title was first revealed in the announcement of the He Say She Say track listing on March 26th, 2015. On that same day, a 17 second teaser was released for play With Me along with teasers for the rest of the album. Play With Me was one of the most talked about teases, alongside Chairs and More Than Love. Never being announced as a single, the song was dropped in complete surprise in the middle of the album's stream on May 30th, 2015, garnering 3,000,000 listens since then from just one night.

When it came to Play With Me music critics liked the song in general but when taking the lyrics literally, a few female music critics seemed to find a problem. In a mixed review Aimee Cliff of Fact said the track was "a great bouncy club banger" from the singers but questioned whether the lyrics were self empowerment or self degrading. Alex Macpherson of The Quietus questioned the same thing, pointing out that while it had strong lyrics like "Missing you would never make me weak" and "You taught me well but this time I'll think for me", the song goes on to repeat "Since you went ghost, I've been dead and gone" several times without specifying if that's exactly a good thing except for according to this critic "when talking about dancing provocatively and taking off their clothes." In a negative review, Slant Magazine's Sal Cinquemani completely bashed the song after saying it sounded "utterly generic", complaining that "This is just another 'you left me so now I've decided to become a slut' song, one of which the world doesn't need topping the charts. I'm so tired of females being portrayed like this! Whatever happened to breaking up with someone and continuing with life afterwards? Why are we always the one's going through the crazy phase, the stripper phase, the I'm gonna cut my hair phase? Why can't we wholesomely move on and be just fine about it?" Many critics have stuck up for the song on Mi•Mi's behalf, Exclaim! writer Jabbari Weeke saying, "People are only being this analytic because it's Mi•Mi singing it and not Rihanna," something of which many agree with, including Mi•Mi. Weeke goes on to applaud the track, saying it provided a "truly nasty, finger-snapping demand for the respect from not only the said ex in the song but everyone listening and witnessing Mi•Mi evolving into something even greater than before,". Bradley Stern of MuuMuse commended its "powerhouse" chorus, and flute instrumentation, pointing out "Remember in late 2013 when Mi•Mi debuted with their saxophone filled Not Waiting Amy Longer and all of a sudden 2014 became the year of horn chorus'? The pan flute in the bridge of Play With Me says hi." Writing for Complex, Garvey named it Mi•Mi's best song yet, declaring "how can you go wrong with ratchet pan flutes?".

Though no one vocally takes the true lead in this song, Miki has been note as the star of Play With Me even managing to make it onto the cover art. While all the girls take turns snarling, belting and cooing the lyrics, Miki brings the sass to the table, instigating and cosigning in the background with sharp vocals and snappy comments. It's clear that Miki is the only one of the group who truly fits this song but since the parts are divided and distributed almost perfectly, it doesn't hold the song back. Mae Na gets the least amount of parts in this song but he comes in right where it counts, her soft high vocals chiming in just when the song is asking for them. Misu the lead singer of the group brings the first verse in just right with her fragile approach and does the same when her powerful belting brings in the 2nd part of the chorus. Dae also has her share of showing off in her line on the chorus but she tones it down when taking over the bridge, gaining composure to clarify and verify that Mi•Mi are nothing to be played with.

Mi Su
Miki
Dae
Mae
All

Don't play with me
If you're gonna get mad when I learn my ABCs, b-c
When it's looking real bad and you just can't count on me, 2-3
You taught me well but this time I'll think for me, for me
It was looking real bad...

Hide and seek
Missing you would never make me weak
No one to look for so I found me
(Right, right)
And since you went ghost, I've been dead and gone, dead and gone, oh
Peekaboo
Coming back around when the focus ain't on you
You deserve an explanation? Hell, I do too!
Since you went ghost, I've been dead and gone,
dead and gone, oh

Don't play with me
When it's looking real bad and you just can't count on me, 2-3
When it's looking real bad, baby...

Come play with me!
Don't get mad when you don't like what you see, you see!
Dumb and naive if you still don't believe baby, baby!

Pattycake
Found myself but ain't nothing changed
Found my song and now you'll watch me shake
Since you went ghost,
I've been dead and gone,dead and gone, dead and gone, oh
Take it down, drop it low, watch me bring it back up slow
Did I make you frown? Bump your crown? You don't have to make a sound
(hey!)
Is it hot in here? Don't you fear, I'll just take off all my clothes
Dead and gone, dead and gone, dead and gone

Uh!

Come play with me!
Don't get mad when you don't like what you see, you see! Boy please!
Dumb and naive if you still don't believe baby, baby!

Don't strain your eyes
You're seeing right
I was all yours,
hey
But that was a long time ago, the blame is yours

You needed space (space?)
Said you needed time (mhmm)
To find your peace
And so I found mine, hold your piece, oh

Don't play with me
(Mi•Mi)
When it's looking real bad and you just can't count on me, 2-3 (Mi•Mi)

Come play with me!
Don't get mad when you don't like what you see, you see! (you see...)
Dumb and naive if you still don't believe baby, baby! (oh oh)
I bet it's looking real bad, baby, heheh

Edited by user 01 June 2015 05:31:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 11 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 01/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 01/06/2015(UTC), BrownSugar on 01/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 01/06/2015(UTC), erich hess on 01/06/2015(UTC), chaotic_princess on 01/06/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 02/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 02/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 02/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 03/06/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 16/06/2015(UTC)
User is suspended until 19/07/2638 13:30:53(UTC) chaotic_princess  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2015 08:50:42(UTC)
chaotic_princess

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 52 post(s)

Zinner: The beat to this song is so addictive! The lyrics made me laugh but in a good way!

OOC: The lyrics are witty haha :)
thanks 1 user thanked chaotic_princess for this useful post.
kandii on 01/06/2015(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 01 June 2015 13:01:39(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erich: come for the vocals,stay for the pan flute.a fucking pan flute! Not since the days of being a small fry and watching cagney and lacy,have I heard a pan flute. They had a great commercial for zamfir,master of the pan flute...I think he's been hired by Mimi.cause that's some was kicking pan flute.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
kandii on 01/06/2015(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2015 05:12:53(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Honor: A lot of people have deemed Synco as the leader of the new girl group era but I feel like you girls are easily underrated. You guys haven't had a bad song from your discography. You guys are K-Pop but you've just about mastered Pop in general mixed with R&B. I adore you girls and super excited for this album to finally get in my hands!

The lyrics are clever, the production is very consistent with your other releases, just all around a wonderful song.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
kandii on 02/06/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2015 00:27:50(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Valentina: I went ghost after hearing this summer smash my Korean queens because you slayed my soul to hell and back BRAVO. I'm totally feelin all the girl groups around right now and it's great you can all coexist because each one brings a lil sumin different and shows just how many talented ladies are around rn, it's rad. I'm feelin it!! Do you, girls! =)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
kandii on 03/06/2015(UTC)
Offline mebeme101  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2015 09:49:03(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Naomi: Let me bow down to my queens right now because you all just killed it on this track like nobody else could great job here ladies love this track soo much

Layla: YESSSSSSSS MI•MI? MORE LIKE SLAY ME OMG AND YOU DID HOW YOU GIRLS MANAGE TO STAY SO CONSISTENT AND FLAWLESS I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND ILY ALL SO MUCH!
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
kandii on 03/06/2015(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#7 Posted : 06 June 2015 04:59:08(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Katie: I'm gonna risk the ire of everyone with a pen right here and say I disagree with the critics on your song. I don't think it has to be a bad thing to say you miss someone. I am a feminist, of course I am, but I do think we often get caught up in trying to prove that we are able to do everything on our own. That's important, but sometimes it's OK to admit you miss someone and feel vulnerable without them. Who hasn't ever felt that way after all? I like that notion, and I love the song as a whole. You're so bouncy and catchy and your lyrics always engross me. I think with you guys and SYNCO, female pop groups are in a good place :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
kandii on 06/06/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#8 Posted : 07 June 2015 21:04:57(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19294 time(s) in 7679 post(s)
Billy: And it's another great result for Team Pesky! I knew that I'd love the song anyway just by hearing the title...I am a very playful person. I think that this is the song that will give you the REAL recognition you deserve and that's not to say your past work was not impressive but with lyrics like this and a pan flute(!?) who can resist? Excellent job, ladies.
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
kandii on 11/06/2015(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#9 Posted : 15 June 2015 02:47:23(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chaotic_princess Go to Quoted Post
Zinner: The beat to this song is so addictive! The lyrics made me laugh but in a good way!

OOC: The lyrics are witty haha :)

Misu: They lyrics made me laugh too lol.

Miki: ..No you didn't. You had no idea what they were about until we gave you a lengthy watered down description.

Misu: They don't know that!

OOC: Thank you! :)

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erich: come for the vocals,stay for the pan flute.a fucking pan flute! Not since the days of being a small fry and watching cagney and lacy,have I heard a pan flute. They had a great commercial for zamfir,master of the pan flute...I think he's been hired by Mimi.cause that's some was kicking pan flute.

Miki: "Come for the vocals, stay for the pan flutes" ugh yas this is officially our new slogan.

Mae Na: This song was totally inspired by Gheorghe Zamfir himself!

Dae Na: Most definitely!

Misu: ...Who is Gheorghe Zamfir?

Mae Na: Shh! Just pretend like us youngins fit into these throwback conversations!!

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Honor: A lot of people have deemed Synco as the leader of the new girl group era but I feel like you girls are easily underrated. You guys haven't had a bad song from your discography. You guys are K-Pop but you've just about mastered Pop in general mixed with R&B. I adore you girls and super excited for this album to finally get in my hands!

The lyrics are clever, the production is very consistent with your other releases, just all around a wonderful song.

Misu: Aw yay! Thank you so much! We try so hard to keep up with all music styles and not be so...confined.

Dae Na: WOAH WOAH IS MISU USING VOCABULARY WORDS. OMFGDNFUSDFKJ SOMEBODY TAPE THIS, TAKE A PIC, THIS IS ABOUT EQUAL TO SPOTTING A UFO OR BETTER,BIG FOOT.

Mae Na: We will never amount to the perfection that is Syn...

Miki: *Smacks her with a newspaper* What this clueless fangirl is trying to say is that we stan for and adore and respect Synco but of course we are trying to plot our world domination at the same time.

Mae Na: *pouts* Yea that.

Originally Posted by: GirlSpice Go to Quoted Post
Valentina: I went ghost after hearing this summer smash my Korean queens because you slayed my soul to hell and back BRAVO. I'm totally feelin all the girl groups around right now and it's great you can all coexist because each one brings a lil sumin different and shows just how many talented ladies are around rn, it's rad. I'm feelin it!! Do you, girls! =)

Mae Na: *~* what is even happening right now

Dae Na: *elbows Mae Na* Yes it's the year of girl groups!

Misu: But it's like it's the season of Mi•Mi!

Miki: You guys we went through this. We literally wrote like 5 songs about this.

Dae Na: *fans self* We're just trying to keep in our inner fangirls right now

Miki: *half squeals* I know me too LOL

Originally Posted by: mebeme101 Go to Quoted Post
Naomi: Let me bow down to my queens right now because you all just killed it on this track like nobody else could great job here ladies love this track soo much

Layla: YESSSSSSSS MI•MI? MORE LIKE SLAY ME OMG AND YOU DID HOW YOU GIRLS MANAGE TO STAY SO CONSISTENT AND FLAWLESS I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND ILY ALL SO MUCH!

Mae Na: OH MY GOD QUEENS YALL DON'T HAVE TO BREAK THAT CAP BUTTON OVER PEASANTS LIKE US, WE'RE NOT EVEN WORTH YOUR KEYBOARD STRAIN

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
Katie: I'm gonna risk the ire of everyone with a pen right here and say I disagree with the critics on your song. I don't think it has to be a bad thing to say you miss someone. I am a feminist, of course I am, but I do think we often get caught up in trying to prove that we are able to do everything on our own. That's important, but sometimes it's OK to admit you miss someone and feel vulnerable without them. Who hasn't ever felt that way after all? I like that notion, and I love the song as a whole. You're so bouncy and catchy and your lyrics always engross me. I think with you guys and SYNCO, female pop groups are in a good place :)

Miki: oh my god exactly! People take the things in our song way too literal, I don't know why they're so hard on us. And one of the things that make us females so strong is that we have that vulnerable side and we're able to cry it out and admit that it hurts us so that we can move on to new chapter in our life. I'm so glad that someone came in and said this, you truly set the record straight for us, thank you so much.

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Billy: And it's another great result for Team Pesky! I knew that I'd love the song anyway just by hearing the title...I am a very playful person. I think that this is the song that will give you the REAL recognition you deserve and that's not to say your past work was not impressive but with lyrics like this and a pan flute(!?) who can resist? Excellent job, ladies.

Misu: Yay! Team Pesky for the win!

Miki: Yas we are reaching for that number one this time Pray May the force be with us

Mae Na: TOO MUCH SUPPORT...FROM THE PEOPLE I STAN...

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 15 June 2015 02:49:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified