logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 23 June 2015 06:06:32(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Single: 12
Artist: Drew Westbrook ft. Misu
Label: Studio60, Five Pesky Kids
Release Date: June 22nd, 2015
Genre: Electronic, Hip Hop, R&B
Written by: Drew Westbrook, Airemese Smith
Produced by: FancyN
Length: 3:34

12 is a song recorded by American rapper Drew Westbrook, for his debut studio album Quarter Notes N Shit. Featuring guest vocals from Korean singer Mi Sun Kim, a member of the K-pop girl group Mi•Mi, the song was released as his second single on June 22nd, 2015 through Studio60 and Five Pesky Kids. The Electro-Hip Hop, R&B song was produced by the Cuban rapper and producer Nina Tarantino also known as FancyN and was written by Drew Westbrook and Airemese Smith. Lyrically, it incorporates themes of a distant relationship that is compared to the changes in the 4 seasons. Described as a scenario with a roller coaster of feelings, the production goes along with the roller coaster theme, rising and dropping at different tempos throughout the song. A song that seems to have Spring themed lyrics, it's twinkly explosive approach and catchy melody has caught the attention of critics and airwaves who have already dubbed it it to be a smash summer hit.

12 is the second collaboration between Drew and Misu, the first being the song What You Like,with the girl group Mi•Mi for their live album, He Say She Say.

Drew Westbrook who has to date, only released one official single titled "ONE", has been one of the businesses most anticipated acts since his presence on the verse of Sonyae's debut record in 2013. Known for his features on hit songs, it seems Drew has yet to release a track starring himself. That was until now of course. In collaboration with his close friend Misu, 12 serves as Drew's first promising record. With unbelievable vocals from the "front-man" of the girl group Mi•Mi and verses from Drew that keeps it short and sweet, 12 is deemed to take Drew to the spot he deserves in this business, that is of course if he stays consistent. Something that is guaranteed to be the first thing that comes to mind during your showers or maybe even while you cross the street, the hesitant yet bold track serves the perfect pop formula while being original and innovative at the same time.

When Drew's playful voice brings the the atmospheric track in, 12 starts off as being the typical "boy meets girl, girl turns out to be perfect, but boy doesn't know how to treat her" song, Misu coming in after his short verse, her breathy vocals taking over the song as she coons over the boy that makes her crazy. Sure, you can barely understand what she's saying, her English enunciation problems really showing in this song, but nevertheless it still sounds like candy to the ears. Drew begins to butt in to the conversation in the background, with his deep voice laughing off small comments. The beat begins to build up, becoming louder by the second as Misu and Drew go back and forth during the pre-chorus, giving a cute interaction between the two. They start off sound like the happiest couple, Drew follows each of her line with more and more flirting before Misu begins to dismiss promises about forever and demanding the romance she deserves now, asking for her share of roses and at the same time, memories from his bed. The starry track explodes as this happens, Misu's heavenly vocals spilling all over the place. At this point, the relationship seems to be based around innocent lust but becomes a little more as Drew comes back in with another quick verse and admits that he has more feelings than he let's himself show, something he can't understand but admires Misu for putting up with.

Misu follows up once again, breathless as the instrumental winds back up during the aftermath of the explosive chorus. Using sexual references as metaphors for the "seasons" they seem to be tumbling through, Misu points out how fast summer seems to pass them by as fall quickly approaches, Drew becoming even more distant and cold towards her. During the rising pre-chorus, instead of flirting with each other this time around, Misu and Drew begin to disagree as things look just a little gloomier for the two. Misu seems to be more into pretending and escaping to a time where things were better for the couple yet Drew believes in going through the flow of a relationship that he's put the work into, declaring that these are just the phases every relationship goes through, but of course Misu sweetens the deal. She blows off everything Drew says, seemingly not being able to understand why they can't just be happy together.

Once again the chorus comes in, and she demands he treats her like nothing has changed and she's still his queen. But after the song hits it's peak once again, while Misu is focused on now, Drew reveals with his slick verse that all he does may not seem like much in the present but it builds onto the future he eventually wants for the two of them. This of course clashes with his fear of commitment out of simply not wanting to lose a good thing but he makes it clear he's trying to make himself worthy for a girl he doesn't think he deserves. And right after this, the instrumental seems to bloom once again, Misu, now more aggressively demanding her dozen roses, belts her way through the end of the song, but just as quickly things escalate, the song comes to a quiet end, slowly dragging it's outro, almost as if begging for a repeat. And you know what? 12 more than deserves it.

As an after thought, there's a lot of Misu in this song for a single released by Drew. She obviously makes the most of the track, his short verses only seeming to sprinkle on top of the epic atmosphere the production has built and her vocals has maintained. One could very easily wave this off as yet another feature from Drew, not even managing to take the spotlight of his own song, but on one hand, this is a brilliant release. Something to catch airplay from both pop and urban radio, he makes one hell of a crossover track, a single to announce his promise of a full length album after a 2 year wait and only teasing himself with the help of a fresh young starlet who has the voice of a pop diva, the kind of voice any notable rapper could willingly be overshadowed by. Giving a feeling that the public once again needs more Drew in their life, he gets things just right with his promotional single, waving 12 in front of all his fans-to-be as he promises new music for everyone.

(OOC: Listen here, this soundalike is everything you need in your life. You hear me? EVERY. THING.)

Drew Westbrook
Misu

Look you a cherry bomb, and you my only one
I'm tryna hold on, but I'm tryna make a run for it
Yea I'm trying to ignore it, the way you make me feel
Thought that love was but a dream but I'm starting to think it's real

You know, you're really starting to make me hate the sun
Changing my stance on just how much fun it is "just having fun"
Signed up for all these lessons and still haven't learned none
They say you're not worth it and just maybe you don't deserve this
But ooh, the season's only begun
(Ain't that right?)
And if I'm 777 baby you could be the ONE (Tell em girl!)
It's so dumb getting used to a touch that's never here
But since I'm In My Youth, you should water twice as much

Look boy, it's raining everywhere
(Girl, it's raining everywhere)
What matters is I've got you here (Well baby can you keep me here?)
Trust me, you'll love how it's all wetter (Show me just how that makes it all better, haha!)
We could make good use of this Spring weather

Look, I've never brung up forever...
'Cause really I don't expect forever...
I just want my dozen from your flower bed!
You owe me a dozen from your flower bed!

Look I'm trying girl, you know I'm trying girl
Hate making you settle for pearls but I'm still tryna gain the whole world for you
Still can't admit how much I love you
Still can't believe how much I adore you, but it seems only from a distance
Don't understand how you stay so consistent in the face of all this distance..
Uh!

So hot, even though you put me through hell, I can't control myself
And just like that, you turn right over and give me that cold shoulder

Boy, ain't this year round somewhere?
(But this ain't just anywhere)
Why does it mater that we're stuck here? (I built this for us, you can't just feel stuck here)
I know it's getting cold but that doesn't mean we should (It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good)
Just wrap yourself around me, I'll make you feel like you never knew you could!

And look, I'm not saying nothing bout forever...
Because we're human, we don't know nothing bout forever...
But you owe me a dozen from your flower bed!
You owe me my dozen from your flower bed!

Look, I know you hate my seasons, girl I hate them too
But as much as I love your shades of lipstick, you love my shades of blue
And I know that shit ain't cool, the way I dust you off
But I only act hard because I'm scared of how your skin's so soft
And I'm scared of forever, so I make you think I don't want forever
And I'm scared of the morrow, losing you is my only sorrow
And I can't afford your heart, but I'm looking for something to borrow
I know I don't deserve your time, but I'm working on tomorrow...

You got me counting 1, 2 ,3... 4, 5, 12!
Damn right, I'm counting 1, 2, 3... 4, 5, 12!
You owe me a dozen from your flower bed!
You owe me my dozen from your flower bed!

Edited by user 07 July 2015 00:55:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 11 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 23/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 23/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 23/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 23/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 24/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 25/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 26/06/2015(UTC), Clampdown on 27/06/2015(UTC), C4AJoh on 27/06/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 28/06/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 28/06/2015(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#2 Posted : 25 June 2015 03:52:41(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
QueenAlexis: Considering how long we've been waiting for your official debut, I don't consider this strong enough for the buzz you've picked up. It's too soft, too light and doesn't have that strength that's needed for your essential "come out". This is not a bad record and Misu isn't bad on it either, but I want the next single to be stronger than this soppy pop rap. Bright side? The lyrics are really nice, but that's not enough to win Queen over.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
kandii on 25/06/2015(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 25 June 2015 03:56:50(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erica: ugh.another song advertising penis size?

Nina: 12?! Wow.if castor cut off 2, he'd be at drew's level.

Erica:....the Hell?! How do you fit....never mind.I'm guessing a snorkel is involved.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
Offline TishaJackson!!!!  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2015 18:50:20(UTC)
TishaJackson!!!!

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 638 post(s)
Tisha: Loving the new track zaddy!

OOC: Nothing short of greatness as usual, love the lyrics!
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked TishaJackson!!!! for this useful post.
Offline mebeme101  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2015 23:52:17(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Brandon: Loving this so much production done perfectly not in your face but still sounds so good and the lyrics plus Misu's vocals you both killed it great job :)

OOC: Great job as always Semereal :)
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#6 Posted : 26 June 2015 01:53:37(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3999 time(s) in 1367 post(s)
Elyar: Yes bro this is great, the beat is so good and Misu vocals are so sweet and cute.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked AmyJayneXoX for this useful post.
kandii on 26/06/2015(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#7 Posted : 26 June 2015 02:01:49(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
April Banks: What this proves is that you could literally dip Misu in anywhere and they would be as perfect and sweet as they are anywhere else. Hip hop track? No problem, bro, Misu got your back. Honestly, I love this. The two styles play off so perfectly against each other and each brings out the best in the other, which is exactly what you need. Good job from everyone involved, for real. 10 on 10.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
Offline JohnnyBBB  
#8 Posted : 26 June 2015 03:08:04(UTC)
JohnnyBBB

Man
Greece

Was thanked: 1727 time(s) in 443 post(s)
JohnnyCarter: Love the lyrics and the production!! Both of you are killing it!!
thanks 1 user thanked JohnnyBBB for this useful post.
Offline Andre Gandra  
#9 Posted : 26 June 2015 11:43:46(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
mISTER_b: I like the way the lyrics turned out as a conversation between the two of you, it's really natural and flowing, let's not forget to mention the vocal potential of Misu. Congratulations for both of you and no doubt we'll hear more about you Drew as you grow in this industry.
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 1 user thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
Offline kandii  
#10 Posted : 27 June 2015 08:56:47(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
QueenAlexis: Considering how long we've been waiting for your official debut, I don't consider this strong enough for the buzz you've picked up. It's too soft, too light and doesn't have that strength that's needed for your essential "come out". This is not a bad record and Misu isn't bad on it either, but I want the next single to be stronger than this soppy pop rap. Bright side? The lyrics are really nice, but that's not enough to win Queen over.

Drew: It's just a promo single. A lil something for pop radio, a lil something for urban, a lil something for rhythmic. It's not here to define my career, just something catchy to brighten a few days and get my name out there. There's a wave of music on the way so I'm not the least bit worried that I haven't won you over yet. I have a whole album to take care of that.

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica: ugh.another song advertising penis size?

Nina: 12?! Wow.if castor cut off 2, he'd be at drew's level.

Erica:....the Hell?! How do you fit....never mind.I'm guessing a snorkel is involved.

Drew: Girth vs width ladies. Girth versus width. UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: TishaJackson!!!! Go to Quoted Post
Tisha: Loving the new track zaddy!

OOC: Nothing short of greatness as usual, love the lyrics!

Drew: Aw thank you mami! I was gonna get you on this track but you actin like you don't believe in discounts Glare

OCC: Thanks babe!

Originally Posted by: mebeme101 Go to Quoted Post
Brandon: Loving this so much production done perfectly not in your face but still sounds so good and the lyrics plus Misu's vocals you both killed it great job :)

OOC: Great job as always Semereal :)

Drew: Well damn Misu, take over my track lol.

Misu: Aw yay! Thank you Brandon! You know I was brandon before? It was by accident though. I saw a cow brandon on purpose that one time. It was so traumitizing. wHERE IS PETER WHEN YOU NEED THEM?

Offline C4AJoh  
#11 Posted : 27 June 2015 17:14:13(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8683 time(s) in 2724 post(s)
Kara Romero: Nice track, it does what it's supposed to do. Puts a smile on the face and creates extra interest in you, while you build to your debut album. That final verse almost warmed my cold dead heart which is truly something, lyrically I'm loving this and I'm excited for more of your solo stuff, you're more than a feature artist and I know you got a lot to say with your own music, so bring it oooooon! I'm pretty sure that ur album will win over any doubters and I'm gonna be here waitin for it.
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
kandii on 28/06/2015(UTC)
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#12 Posted : 28 June 2015 04:26:15(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Lexi: I hereby deem this best song of the year. Boooom!

Ooc: Awww man I was so going to use that song lol. I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove that sound alike though. The "My, my, my" parts kill me every time. Love
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
kandii on 28/06/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#13 Posted : 28 June 2015 08:33:59(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Valentina: "Once again the chorus comes in, and she demands he treats her like nothing has changed and she's still his queen" yasss queen, get that boy whipped! Heheh. This is super super strong like... it's all I've been singing for the past few days. Yeah. Even Drew's parts. And lemme give you some hot tea rn I sound like a hot ass mess and I don't even care. This is my jam! =)

OOC: Your lyrics <3
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
kandii on 29/06/2015(UTC)