logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DistortedAudio  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2015 05:47:36(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
UserPostedImage

By: Baxter Prince
If there is one thing malleable in the first song of post-punk band, noose, it’s a sense of anger and mystery. The personnel besides fringe-indie guitarist Lou Bassett is very understated, and the song itself can be found in the depths of soundcloud. If it hadn’t have been emailed by a fan, one could say that this review wouldn’t even exist, but I am the better for it in honesty.

The song acts as a shouting, forward post-punk manifesto whose rousing chorus of “No Idols” repeated again and again serves as a chant and a promise. If the lyricist behind the song wasn’t as nuanced, then it would’ve ended with the song’s protagonist’s hands around the throat of a named popstar (Isabel? Lotus? the subject of the song’s iyre isn’t quite spelled out)

When the song’s close to 7 minute run-time comes to an end, one thing is for sure. The band’s send-up to other noisy hardcore punk bands (if they turned it up a few more notches they could serve as a Minor Threat cover band) goes hand-in-hand with the usage of its’ lighter influences like the singer’s thin improvisation ala Talking Heads. I’m trying to say this song is fucking good.

[8.5]
UserPostedImage

Edited by user 31 October 2015 05:33:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
thanks 5 users thanked DistortedAudio for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 30/10/2015(UTC), erich hess on 30/10/2015(UTC), kandii on 30/10/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 30/10/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 30/10/2015(UTC)
Offline DistortedAudio  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2015 10:07:49(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

UserPostedImage

By: Floyd Holm
It’s 2015 and Lou Bassett is currently a part of the Nightof1000Riffs tour where he opens quite early in the lineup for worldwide superstar James Urie. Yet on a rare two day break in touring, Lou doesn’t take the time off to rest, he heads to an LA studio in a friend’s bedroom to record with two other musicians. This is the breeding ground for the new avant-garde punk band, noose.

“noose as an idea is meant to be somewhat controversial. The name is in reference to lynchings.” said Bassett who has done a strange mix of work up to this point, has can be seen when one scans his set-list. “When we as a band were approaching subject matter, we decided to hit on things that aren’t usually approached from within the industry. Things like obsession towards celebrity culture and racism.”

The other two members of the band have also had at the very least, minor success as musicians. Though the soundcloud link doesn’t introduce them (or Bassett), Lou was sure to clue us in on the rest of the band. The guitarist is none other than former hardcore punk rocker from the underground, Jimmy Church. On the drums is former noise/dream-pop vocalist Laura Paige, who was one-half of the defunct band Book of Love.

“The guitar-work is much, much different from the punk that I specifically have a background with.” said Church. “That’s what I found attractive about a project like this. It’s not only different from the rock music that has hit the mainstream currently, it’s punk that has taken its’ influences from much more underground bands and has a type of direction that I particularly haven’t really gotten a chance to play until now.”

As a band the three formed after being introduced via a mutual friend. Currently, Lou plays bass and does vocals while Church plays guitar and Laura plays the drums. The trio obviously seek to have a very loose confrontational sound that doesn’t seem overproduced, nor under produced.

The song does what it wants to right. It’s loud, meant for moshing and above all else, not scared to say anything. The picture being painted is one of the obsessive nature of celebrity culture. “Hands folded, squeezing ever so tightly” signs Bassett in the song’s opening and the rest gives a sense of prayer at the altar of the elite within music. If such a thought is true then the rest is a welcome tearing down of such constructs.

UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
thanks 4 users thanked DistortedAudio for this useful post.
kandii on 30/10/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 31/10/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 31/10/2015(UTC), erich hess on 31/10/2015(UTC)
Offline DistortedAudio  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2015 05:53:19(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

title: that feeling is carnal
band: noose
genre(s): post-punk, hardcore punk
length: 6:49
label: holy-mountain recordings

Personnel:
Lou Bassett - Bass Guitar, Vocals
James Black - Guitar
Laura Paige - Drums
Emma Shields - Mixing & Mastering

Content:
“It’s a criticism, not an attack, that’s the first thing I want to get out of the way. The song is a sort of narrative structure that criticizes celebrity culture as it is today. I don’t like it, and I don’t like how it breeds a bunch of music that is very similar, not challenging. That’s probably the worst part of it, the fact that it doesn’t challenge the status-quo or really feel the need to challenge, like there’s not a threat for it.

I wrote the song initially around 2014 when another artist came out, Valentina Hart, and it was more of the fan response against her that I was trying to attribe. I respect Hart as an artist, but the sayings around her fanbase I just didn’t like. So in the song, there’s the start where the non-gender specific (I change between female and male pronouns throughout the song for both the popstar and the protagonist) is basically part of the entire audience out there. And slowly that person turns against what they know and it ends with the death of that belief.”

- Louis Bassett

Composition:

The song opens with a droning bassline that doesn’t alter much throughout, other than speeding up towards the chorus and slowing down through the rest of the verses.

The guitar chords are sharp and one might note that they sound out of key but the fuzz and distortion are an effect utilized on purpose by Church.

The drumming is almost tribal in its’ simplicity but that effect is sought after.

The singing is commanding, of the same droning ilk as the bassline. Almost as if Lou is drunk as he sings. Another interesting point on the singing is the fact that it’s on such a lower pitch than the rest of the instrument, so in a way, it’s almost just another instrument.

Lyrics:

Key:

[...] = A guitar break. The bass-line stays the same but here the off-kilter guitar playing really tones up, and the pedal work can truly be noticed. The distortion is meant to represent quick breaks in the song. Each lasts around 25 - 40 seconds.

CAPS FOR LYRICS = The switch from the droning, languished sing-talking that Lou is doing to a focus on shouting.

(sp) = Sped up drumming. → (/sp) = End of sped up drumming.

* = Sharp guitar chord and quick guitar breakdown.

Hands folded, squeezing
Ever so tightly, ever so tight - ly
Eyes closed, blood drawn
Lips pursed, head tilted
In prayer, I beseech thee
Slay me, slay me, slay me

Eyes snap open, head nodding
This can’t continue, this won’t ((continue))
Breathless and he knows the words
Speeding and she knows the words
By heart.
Eyes rolled back and they. know. the. words.

[...]

Money exchanged and respects paid.
His clothing now holy, by all rights
By every fucking right.
Embroidered in her name and lost her essence
He does this for her, he does this for them
He needs this.

(sp) In his home, looking through the mirror
He hears the low hum, he sees the cracks
Half-earnest grin and the honest part falters
Quickly, quicker, quickest gone.
And the voice fills the void.
And the voice shouts back:

No idols, no idols, no idols
Burn ‘em all down, burn ‘em all down
NO IDOLS, NO IDOLS, NO IDOLS
BURN’ EM ALL DOWN, BURN ‘EM ALL DOWN
TEAR ‘EM ALL DOWN, TEAR ‘EM ALL DOWN (/sp)

[...]

He gathers himself slowly
Picks up the pieces and his hands
Wrap amongst themselves yet again
But the prayers aren’t honest
And the wishes aren’t answered
And the irony reigns again.

(sp) HE RIPS OFF THE SHIRT
HE BREAKS THE CDS
HE BURNS THE TICKETS
HE SHATTERS THE LIES
HE SEES THE IDOLS
HE TURNS RIGHT AROUND (/sp)
he turns right around and in a moment of monumental weakness
he weeps
for a few moments
he weeps
and lives, and lives for the first time in a long time

(sp) No idols, no idols, no idols
Burn ‘em all down, burn ‘em all down
BURN’ EM ALL DOWN, BURN ‘EM ALL DOWN
TEAR ‘EM ALL DOWN, TEAR ‘EM ALL DOWN(/sp)

[...]

She’s got the knife in her backpocket
A ticket was saved.
She’s on the highway and the temple’s in her headlights.
The door opens, the car is parked.
The church doors open and she’s greeted by the incubus himself.
The followers bow and raise their hands in celebration
An orgy of excess, an airing of pleasures.

(sp) She moves with the crowd, a wave of fanatic apathy
At the front now and climbing the stage
The god spots her with a smile
Open arms welcoming her home
And then she’s in striking distance
And she does, and she does, and she does, and she does

SHE STABS INTO WHAT SHE USED TO KNOW
SHE SLASHES THROUGH HER OLD LIFE
BLOOD TURNS TO REASON
LOVE TURNED TO HATE (/sp)

and the worshippers watch in horror
on their knees, all in tears
and she lifts the microphone to her lips
and she whispers.
and she taunts.
and she enamores.
“no more idols, no more idols, no more idols.”
and she drops
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
thanks 7 users thanked DistortedAudio for this useful post.
erich hess on 31/10/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 31/10/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 31/10/2015(UTC), kandii on 01/11/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 03/11/2015(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 03/11/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 04/11/2015(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2015 12:56:21(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erich: I feel a slow and awkward clap is in order. I'm not that arty, so I don't want to sound stupid. Is it good? Is it bad? I dunno. I find it like interpretive dance. Its best to remain silent and take it in.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
DistortedAudio on 31/10/2015(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#5 Posted : 02 November 2015 14:24:37(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
OOC: So I guess I'm just gonna be the one to say it. This is the best description/lyrics I've read all year on this forum. Literally. I would actually love this forum way more if we wrote in this style and I would take the songs we write more seriously if they were like this.
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
DistortedAudio on 02/11/2015(UTC)
Offline DistortedAudio  
#6 Posted : 03 November 2015 02:31:01(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

OOC: Thanks kandii that means a ton. I'd been experimenting with this format and taking some stuff from older works like GK's Katie Coyle stuff for a minute. With the lyrics, I found it easier than ever to write, so I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much!

@Erich; Thanks for commenting man!

@Anyone else who read: Even if you didn't comment or thank (and especially if you did thank), thanks for reading. Hadn't released a song in a minute, and at that, it has been even longer since I released a song that I was pleased with. I also enjoyed writing the media rollout so if you have opinions on it or anything like that, don't be afraid to comment!
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
thanks 5 users thanked DistortedAudio for this useful post.
erich hess on 03/11/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 03/11/2015(UTC), kandii on 03/11/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 03/11/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 04/11/2015(UTC)
Offline Squeege  
#7 Posted : 04 November 2015 14:46:40(UTC)
Squeege

Man

Was thanked: 282 time(s) in 189 post(s)
Johnny: I got no words. That's some damn fine music there.
UserPostedImage]

Owner of: Nobody's Darlings

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Ezra "Zeke" James

The Train Jumpers

Hennessy Daniels
thanks 1 user thanked Squeege for this useful post.
DistortedAudio on 04/11/2015(UTC)