logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline GirlSpice  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2015 23:11:46(UTC)
GirlSpice

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Vanity, while one of the most recognised faces and voices on the planet, is still one of the biggest mysteries in pop music. For someone who’s created such a huge name for herself, how do we know so little about her? And what’s driven this mysteriously intoxicating pop star to twelve studio albums despite the hurdles along the way? In a rare sit down interview with the star, Vanity bares all about her struggles as one of the leading women in music, her move into acting as the Countess on American Horror Story, and her brand new record, Dominant.

Vanity, it’s a pleasure to have this opportunity. Just to begin, how are you?
What a darling, that’s the question I get asked the least. I’m very well, actually the best I’ve probably ever been. I’m in a really good place and you don’t know how great that feels to say. Things really can get better, no matter how dark the place you’re in.

And you of all people would know, because you’ve been through some very dark phases in your life.
Exactly, and you know, it’s changed me for the rest of my life. I wear those times like a wound on my heart, and I don’t say that to sound like a victim… I say that because I allow myself to feel it. If I don’t, I’ll go nuts. Actually, it may be too late for that. (laughs) But that wound is a memory, not a defeat. There are days where I really feel it, and days where I don’t give a fuck, that’s what makes me human, that’s okay. I just want people to know that if you’re going through a dark time in your life, you will get to the other side of it. Nothing lasts forever.

You’ve always been an advocate for the underdogs, haven’t you?
I have, because life is hard… I fight for people who have to fight every single day. Whether it’s for acceptance and equality or they’re fighting depression and hardship. I feel connected to them because I’ve been there. I was the outsider. I am an outsider. I always have been. Luckily, I’m in the position to use my voice for the greater good.

How does a huge name like yourself feel like an outsider?
I don’t have many famous friends, I have a handful. Well, actually… being on American Horror Story helped change that, because the cast is so wonderful. But I go to award shows and I keep myself to myself, I don’t run around kissing and hugging everyone, because not only am I a private person now, but I simply just don’t fit in that circle. That’s not a complaint, I’m happy to be me.

Do you think being a pop star weighs you down with limitations?
I think once upon a time, that may have been correct. Times are changing now and pop music is also changing, artists are experimenting more and the public seem to be more willing to embrace music that’s a little out of the ordinary. Personally, I don’t see myself as a pop star. At least not anymore. Whether you want to call me pop, alternative, experimental, electronic, that’s up to you. I think I defy genres. I always have. I have no limitations on me right now, it’s the reason I called the new record Dominant. It’s how I feel, and I’m truly embracing the control I’ve been able to take over my career.

Coming back to your mention of American Horror Story, it’s been both bizarre and great to see you on television every week. What attracted you to this role?
I’ve always been a huge fan of the show, the characters, the plots, the cinematography, it’s a real boundary pushing spectacle every week and I adore that. Acting has always been a desire of mine, so I approached Ryan Murphy and he was just as excited to have me part of the show, thankfully. He later presented me with the Countess and I fell in love, it was just meant to be. I love playing her.

How does a popular figure like yourself prepare for a role in an already well established hit TV series, given your lack of experience in that field?
It was difficult, perhaps the most challenging thing I’ve ever done, because I truly threw myself into the deep end. I felt such freedom, yet there was always that threat of drowning and being in too deep… I loved that genuine fear I had. I hadn’t felt that in a long while. It was slightly intimidating knowing that I was going to join a show that had long-serving actors and actresses that were truly world class, but they’ve all been so welcoming and helped me learn so much. It’s been a dream and I hope everyone’s enjoyed watching it so far. There’s still much more to come.

Now to your main passion, which is of course music. Your new single “Hallucinate” has just topped the charts for three weeks. Does that feeling ever get old?
It’s not something I pay too much attention to at this point in my career, it’s nice, but it’s not everything. Though it is wonderful to hear that people are responding well to your music… even when they don’t, say the media or the critics are being a lot more negative than usual, I still always stand by my music and love the decisions that I’ve made. What I really care about is my fans and how they’re responding to it, if they like it, then I’ve done my job.

This brand new record of yours will become your twelfth studio album, does that number sound bizarre to you?
It truly does, you know how they say time flies when you’re having fun? That’s really appropriate, because making each album and touring the world has been so much fun that I don’t really count ‘em up. One day I woke up and suddenly I hear I’m about to release my twelfth record and I’m like... what? When? How? (laughs)

Your last album Odyssey I feel was a lot more controversial and garnered more mixed reviews than say, The Sound of Living. What did you take away from that album before making this one?
Every album is a learning process, it’s what helps me to evolve… I still stand by the choices I made for Odyssey, it’s a very solid record to me. I knew the concept was tiring for some, they wanted more variety to the lyrics, more passion, more vulnerability, more raw emotion…. so this time it’s not a concept. Just a range of life experiences and pure feelings made into music.

Is it important for you to read what critics have to say about your releases?
It depends who it’s coming from, I respect some more than others. I do like to read what people are writing about my music though, I’m curious. I don't know if I adapt to what they suggest, I’m stubborn for my art and I often know what I want to achieve with it and what I don’t... but you never know.

You’ve put on some huge tours in support of your last few albums - can fans expect one this time round?
If there will be one, I don’t think it will be quite so big as the last few. Either way, I definitely want to find a way to perform some gigs with this music, it’d feel like a complete missed opportunity if I didn’t. I really feel the spirit of this record, it’s lively and boisterous, it deserves some shows dedicated to it.

On an ending note, with all of these albums under your belt, what’s next for Vanity?
American Horror Story has been such an eye-opener for me, it’s reignited some passion in an area of my heart that I think had burnt out some time ago. It’s now my aim to continue to challenge myself by being thrown into uncomfortable, challenging situations. That’s when I truly feel alive and engaged. That doesn’t mean no more music, it just means more Vanity... in ways that you’ve never seen her before. (smiles)

Vanity's new album Dominant is available December 11 via Kaleidoscope Records.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 10 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
Welat65 on 29/11/2015(UTC), erich hess on 30/11/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 30/11/2015(UTC), BrownSugar on 30/11/2015(UTC), Matticus on 30/11/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 30/11/2015(UTC), Atonic Records on 30/11/2015(UTC), kandii on 30/11/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 30/11/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 02/12/2015(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 30 November 2015 00:44:57(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erica: 12?!she's a busy girl. Like...wow.

Nina: I know ,love. We are on what? Our fourth or fifth?

Erica: maybe we are about quality ovrr quantity?

The pair sit silently for a few seconds then fall over laughing .

Nina: it's fun to be delusional.

Erica: totes.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 30/11/2015(UTC)
Offline Matticus  
#3 Posted : 30 November 2015 03:01:19(UTC)
Matticus

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1328 time(s) in 705 post(s)
Buzz: I'm in love.
Hype: You have no chance dude..
Buzz: I'm telling you, i'm in love... All i need is for her bodyguards to actually let me within a 10 mile radius of her...
Hype: Sorry.. What?
Buzz: Nothing..

OOC: As per usual, amazingly done. You're too bloody good at this ;)
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Other Acts Include: Parish (Michael Parish), Lucifer (James Francis), Cheating the System (Ethan Plyth, Tom Jolly, Ryan Wyler)
thanks 1 user thanked Matticus for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 30/11/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#4 Posted : 30 November 2015 03:55:23(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica: 12?!she's a busy girl. Like...wow.

Nina: I know ,love. We are on what? Our fourth or fifth?

Erica: maybe we are about quality ovrr quantity?

The pair sit silently for a few seconds then fall over laughing .

Nina: it's fun to be delusional.

Erica: totes.

Vanity: Not as delusional as me for sticking around for 12 albums. Nice try, girls. ;)

Originally Posted by: Matticus Go to Quoted Post
Buzz: I'm in love.
Hype: You have no chance dude..
Buzz: I'm telling you, i'm in love... All i need is for her bodyguards to actually let me within a 10 mile radius of her...
Hype: Sorry.. What?
Buzz: Nothing..

OOC: As per usual, amazingly done. You're too bloody good at this ;)

Vanity: You two are forever considered a friend of mine, after all... we have worked together already. Let's catch up soon, darlings. x

OOC: Naaah this was just something quick I wrote, thank you though. :D

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 2 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
erich hess on 30/11/2015(UTC), Matticus on 30/11/2015(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#5 Posted : 30 November 2015 04:29:58(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Eilidh: When I watch American Horror Stories sometimes I get scared and I hide behind my couch until all the scary vampires are gone. But i love it when Vanity goes on there because she is the best actor and she has all the best furniture in her room on there. I want the neon signs she has.

Katie: Still the archetypal superstar in my opinion. Your music is untouchable.

Ooc: Great interview :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 02/12/2015(UTC)
Offline Atonic Records  
#6 Posted : 30 November 2015 04:56:42(UTC)
Atonic Records

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2278 time(s) in 613 post(s)
chaelinCL: 👀 Your music, acting and now even interviews impress me...yass vanity yass!
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Atonic Records for this useful post.
Offline Welat65  
#7 Posted : 30 November 2015 06:04:26(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
AliyaRose: I love you so much Vanity! You're one of my biggest Idols, your personality is out of this world and your music is just genius. You are so different, which makes you so special, and I just love the way you show yourself to the world. You are being you, and that's what makes you so like-able. I just love you!
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#8 Posted : 01 December 2015 06:57:41(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Izzy: You're definitely the personification of a true artist and it's been amazing seeing you grow with each record. I think you're definitely one of the most well-spoken and articulated artists ever and it's refreshing to see someone so bold yet still a mystery. I love that about you and it makes me want to know more but still knowing my place as a fan. I only hope I can sustain such a long career as you have.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Offline mebeme101  
#9 Posted : 01 December 2015 08:29:38(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Layla: I loved this interview so much I loved reading every bit but the part that stuck out to me most probably because it's something I needed to hear today and something that a lot of people need to hear was "I just want people to know that if you’re going through a dark time in your life, you will get to the other side of it. Nothing lasts forever." I've also loved seeing you slay on AHS literally and figuratively and I've been loving everything you've been doing with your music and just everything it's all been incredible
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.