logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2015 05:20:23(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Track : Your Turn
Artist : Aikya Balan
Genre : Glitch Hop, Electronica
Label : Tric Jam, Studio 60 Records
Written by : Aikya Balan
Produced by : FancyN
Length : 4:21

Your Turn is a song by American recording artist Aikya Balan from her long-awaited debut studio album, You Don't Have To Change, Baby Pacify[/b] and as a single for Consequences: The Original Soundtrack. The song was released digitally on December 26th, 2015 as the album's final single before the release. It was also released on 12-inch vinyl the day before, along with all 5 of her other singles. Your Turn premiered on Zane Lowe's BBC Radio 1 show on December 28th, 2015. Upon its premiere, Aikya Balan referred to the track as "one of the best songs I think I've written."

In Your Turn, the music slows and calms, sounding almost like a lullaby, soothing the listener as Aikya Balan softly coos out words that taunts a confused "player" as they watch people battle it out on the gameboard of love. She takes on the role of that voice inside the player's head, trying to accustom him to the presence of these "barbarians" who've broke his heart and then turn around to break each other's. But this isn't just a song about love, or criticizing it. Like a cheetah carefully and slowly approaching its prey, Aikya sets up the track to reverse the audience’s expectations and completely change the theme of the song. “Everyone can't have a turn, but aren't I so lucky it's mine?,” she sings as the bass drops on Your Turn. Suddenly, the song becomes about being different in a society taught to hate their differences. She spends the next 3 minutes, convincing and encouraging this player that the only way to beat these "barbarians" at their own game is to just love yourself.

"Everyone is guilty/No one knows what they've done wrong/But if enough fingers point, the world plays along" She sings, stepping up the pace and breaking down exactly why hating yourself because you don't find within the guidelines of a society is stupid, mostly because those who criticize you can also see that they don't fit the criteria either. No one even knows why that criteria exists or why they should tend to it but since the people around them do it, they strive to fit in. "Only grow thoughts in your brain/You wouldn't mind putting in a vase/Is that what you really want on display?" Anniken Dahl-Smith pops up towards the end of the song and poses as one of the "barbarians" saying in her everyday posh British (although she's Norwegian) accent, trying to encourage the player to confine themselves to what they think others will appreciate. "But if it's your turn, show them all how to play" eggs on Aikya, telling the player that since it's their turn, they should set the example and just be themselves.

Aikya Balan
Anniken Dahl-Smith

Everyone's had their fun
Left themselves completely numb
'Cause all they do is give into wrong
It's normal
Everyone's played their part
Toyed with hearts
'Cause loving is hard--even just themselves
It's perfectly normal

Everyone's kicked you down
Shut you out, pushed you 'round
It's just initiation... this time
There are no lessons learned
You forget it all as you yearn
Everyone can't have a turn, but aren't I so lucky it's mine?

Love, lust, hate
You'll swear they're all the same
Love, lust, hate
No ordinary pain

Everyone is guilty
No one knows what they've done wrong
But if enough fingers point, the world plays along
Everyone's a sinner
The one's who convict just don't realize
You know too well it's a mistake to generalize

You're a different kind of gay
Feel the words of Marvin Gaye
Who could hold it all back this long?
And everyone hates you for it
'Cause they can never feel the same
But if it's your turn, show them all how to play

Love, lust, hate
You'll swear they're all the same
Love, lust, hate
No ordinary pain

Where's the love if you can't even find it for yourself?
What's the point if your expressions only gets shelved?
If these feelings felt deserve their own chastity belt
Tell me where we've gone all wrong

Only grow thoughts in your brain
You wouldn't mind putting in a vase
Is that what you really want on display?

We've been victims of a teaching that contradicts us
They've been victims of a way of thinking that prevents questioning
Are we in the wrong cause the world's young and ignorant?
I just want for you to love you

Only grow thoughts in your brain
You wouldn't mind putting in a vase
Fuck being ashamed
Staying true is the only way

Love, lust, hate
They swear it's all the same
But just maybe, they shouldn't be

Edited by user 01 January 2016 02:56:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 9 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 29/12/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 29/12/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 29/12/2015(UTC), erich hess on 29/12/2015(UTC), freestylechamp on 29/12/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 31/12/2015(UTC), DistortedAudio on 31/12/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 31/12/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 01/01/2016(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2015 13:12:50(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
OOC: The concept or story for this song is very unique and different. I really enjoyed the lyrics and how you told the story.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
kandii on 31/12/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2015 02:36:42(UTC)
GirlSpice

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Valentina: Your songs are so fuckin artsy and deep, teach me how to do it kween *cries* heheh. I lovelovelove this so much, I honestly think creating such a simple chorus that reaaaally works is harder than writing like... 10 lines of mumbojumbo, cause you're dancing between lyrics that either come across as dumb or lyrics that come across as simple, genius and to-the-point, luckily it's the latter. Living for you. <333
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
Offline Welat65  
#4 Posted : 31 December 2015 08:56:16(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
BarbieDoll: Amazing song, so good that I wish I would have written it. I love your style, it's different. Great Job!
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
Offline Famouss7x7  
#5 Posted : 31 December 2015 12:17:07(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: You always write such promising lyrics that each tell such a deep story. It's brilliant. That's why I love Aikya the most out of all of your characters. All your releases from her are so different from one another just as she is and you really do the FC justice. Great record here yet again :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
Offline mebeme101  
#6 Posted : 01 January 2016 02:48:22(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
ooc: I remember reading this a little while ago and falling in love with "No one knows what they've done wrong/But if enough fingers point, the world plays along" despite every lyric in this song being incredible that one stuck in my mind and honestly I can't say too many TRSG songs have that effect on me I mean a lot of the lyrics on TRSG are great even incredible but this song and that particular part in it just wow honestly Semeria great job on this these lyrics are insanely incredible and are definitely in my top favorites on this website now onto the whole song which is incredible like everything about this song is unique from the sound alike right down to the each unique lyric and the unique theme of the song honestly it's incredible great job here
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
kandii on 01/01/2016(UTC)