logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dohaihoangnam  
#1 Posted : 01 January 2016 16:10:46(UTC)
dohaihoangnam

Groups: Registered
Man
Viet Nam

Was thanked: 342 time(s) in 177 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Title: "Alive"
Artist: Reese Hollinsworth
From the album: Untitled (2016)
Released: January 1, 2016
Format: Digital download
Recorded: February-June 2015; Roc the Mic Studios (New York City, New York, United States)
Genre(s): Electropop
Length: 3:36
Record label: Kaleidoscope Records
Writer(s): Reese Hollinsworth, Airemese Smith
Producer(s): Greg Kurstin, Jesse Shatkin

Alive” is a song recorded by Vietnamese-American recording artist Reese Hollinsworth for his sophomore studio album. Co-written by Hollinsworth and Airemese Smith of Rum & Coke, and produced by Greg Kurstin along with Jesse Shatkin, the song was released without any prior announcement at precisely 12:01 a.m. on January 1, 2016 (Eastern Standard Time) on various digital and streaming outlets worldwide. On the same morning, “Alive” will make its airplay premiere on The Dahl Hour through Kaleidoscope Records. It is an electropop song, with elements of eletronica, R&B and reggae influences. Lyrically, the song most probably details the thought process of a transgender man who is willing to live with his true self during a night out. This is Hollinsworth’s first release in over four months, during which time the album was delayed due to “personal reasons”, which prompted Hollinsworth’s public silence since his performance of his number-one single “Stockholm” at the 2015 Fan Choice Awards.

Work on the song started as far back as February 2015, when Hollinsworth was actually writing for “another artist”, whose identity remains undisclosed. Within a day, the singer managed to come up with “half the song”, an April 2015 report stated, and was slated to hold a “producers’ meeting” to find a producer who understood the sound he was going for, told Greg Kurstin, who was eventually chosen to be the producer for the song, along with vocal producer Jesse Shatkin. The day after, Hollinsworth had finished writing the entire song and recorded a “first draft”, which was prepared to make it onto the album. However, in early March, Hollinsworth began having second thoughts on the song, and started making minor edits to the song’s lyrics, though the production remains markedly intact. The only extensive edit to the song was made by the hands of Airemese Smith of R&B duo Rum & Coke, who had previously collaborated with Hollinsworth on his chart-topping lead single “Stockholm”. The four reconvened for one last session to record the final version of the song, which reaches your ears today.

“Alive" was written by Hollinsworth and Smith and was produced by Kurstin and Shatkin. It was described as an electropop ballad featuring "soaring" synthesisers, "militant" drums, and hip hop beats with electronica, R&B, and reggae influences. The song features Hollinsworth's "jaw-dropping" vocal performance. The song is written in the key of B ♭ minor and it follows the chord progression of Bbm–Gb7–Ab–Fm. Lyrically, the song entails the thought process of a transgender man who is determined to live as a woman, someone who he claims he was born as. However, “comes along with it is a sense of insecurity,” The Guardian’s Andrew Ryerson noted in his review of the single, which points out the peculiarness of the second verse compared to the first, which “embodied a sense of confidence”.

Lights are out, clothes all shed
Can't feel nothing, not even myself
Gotta let it out, let it out
Turn off the person everybody sees
Turn into the heroine my story needs
If I can be anything, this is my anything

So I suck my stomach in, tuck the fears away
Paint on this brave face, show just how I feel
Grow into these heels, watch me fit this dress
I was born a woman

And I'm gonna be who I am for tonight, for the rest of my life
Gonna get out of this hideout shelter of mine, be who I am for tonight
Freed from reality, I've been dreaming this whole time and now I'm finally alive
I'm gonna be who I am for tonight, for the rest of my life

I tell myself time after time
Won't let myself keep living lies
But it's something about morning light
That seems to bring out the coward inside
Oh what if I'm turned away from home?
How far will these heels take me on their own?
I'll hold on, and even when I don't
I'll still be on the ropes, hanging all alone

Smiling big, as if I belong
Can't feel my face, this ain't what I want
Palms are shaking, palms are shaking

Deep breath in, deep breath out, now
Can't turn back now, gotta paint the town red

And I'm gonna be who I am for tonight, for the rest of my life
Gonna get out of this hideout shelter of mine, be who I am for tonight
Freed from reality, I've been dreaming this whole time and now I'm finally alive
I'm gonna be who I am for tonight, for the rest of my life

I tell myself time after time
Won't let myself keep living lies
But it's something about morning light
That seems to bring out the coward inside
Oh what if I'm turned away from home?
How far will these heels take me on their own?
I'll hold on, and even when I don't
I'll still be on the ropes, hanging all alone

Tell me where did I go wrong?
Why does it take so long?
One day they'll accept who I am in this life
One day I'll truly be alive...

Sounds Like:

Edited by user 01 January 2016 16:15:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
"Deep breath in, deep breath out, now"

UserPostedImage

// REESE HOLLINSWORTH //
thanks 8 users thanked dohaihoangnam for this useful post.
kandii on 01/01/2016(UTC), Atonic Records on 01/01/2016(UTC), mebeme101 on 01/01/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 01/01/2016(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 02/01/2016(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 03/01/2016(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 04/01/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 05/01/2016(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#2 Posted : 01 January 2016 16:27:52(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
OOC: Ugh this is why I love writing songs with you. you really know how to spill emotion into a track and reading your lyrics inspires me to do soooooo much better and not completely ruin your beautiful songs and flow of creativity. Gonna be so exciting to finally get this album on the road with you but in the meantime slaaaaaaay!!!!

Edited by user 01 January 2016 16:28:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
dohaihoangnam on 02/01/2016(UTC)
Offline dohaihoangnam  
#3 Posted : 01 January 2016 16:34:02(UTC)
dohaihoangnam

Man
Viet Nam

Originally Posted by: kandii Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Ugh this is why I love writing songs with you. you really know how to spill emotion into a track and reading your lyrics inspires me to do soooooo much better and not completely ruin your beautiful songs and flow of creativity. Gonna be so exciting to finally get this album on the road with you but in the meantime slaaaaaaay!!!!

OOC: I think you've got it the other way around lol, but thanks so much for the kind words and for helping me on this Wub
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

// REESE HOLLINSWORTH //
thanks 1 user thanked dohaihoangnam for this useful post.
kandii on 01/01/2016(UTC)
Offline Atonic Records  
#4 Posted : 01 January 2016 18:37:08(UTC)
Atonic Records

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2278 time(s) in 613 post(s)
occ: low key want to co-write with you guys, love the lyrics and how they flow. Great job guys!
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked Atonic Records for this useful post.
kandii on 02/01/2016(UTC), dohaihoangnam on 02/01/2016(UTC)
Offline dohaihoangnam  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2016 22:40:06(UTC)
dohaihoangnam

Man
Viet Nam

Originally Posted by: Atonic Records Go to Quoted Post
occ: low key want to co-write with you guys, love the lyrics and how they flow. Great job guys!

OOC: Thanks for the praises, and you're welcome to write with us anytime :)
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

// REESE HOLLINSWORTH //
Offline mebeme101  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2016 04:41:02(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Layla: Wait I cannot stop crying honestly the vocal delivery, the production but most importantly THE LYRICS Reese you've definitely become one of the top acts in my books with Stockholm and now this this is just so incredible so emotional and it's something I think so many people need to hear you're honestly amazing Reese but I'm mad at you right now for making me break one of my New Year resolutions because I was supposed to cry less this year again great job cannot wait for the album

ooc: Great job on these lyrics both of you did an outstanding job here and on Stockholm I'm gonna need the two of you to start writing my lyrics :P
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
dohaihoangnam on 02/01/2016(UTC), kandii on 03/01/2016(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2016 05:04:26(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Tyler: Alright I'm can see why you have lasted for a while while this is a good song. I feel like the beat had sort of done before, like a lot. No disrespect you have a talented voice and it carry over to this well, but I would have like it better if the beat didn't remind me of songs I heard before. So I will give it 3 out of 5. personally I like the first song but this was good.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Welat65  
#8 Posted : 03 January 2016 09:03:13(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
Ezra: This is amazing. You get better and better, everytime you release something! I'm really excited for the album, and I can't wait to praise the hell out of you for it. I think It's going to be good year for you!
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
Offline Osprey037[Reported Failure]  
#9 Posted : 03 January 2016 13:12:32(UTC)
Osprey037[Reported Failure]

Was thanked: 1780 time(s) in 805 post(s)
OOC: Everyone has said it but its worth saying again, excellent job on this. The lyrics are pretty stellar I can tell a lot of thought was put in to them.

UserPostedImage
I might give Satan a swirly
Offline dohaihoangnam  
#10 Posted : 03 January 2016 13:54:54(UTC)
dohaihoangnam

Man
Viet Nam

Originally Posted by: mebeme101 Go to Quoted Post
Layla: Wait I cannot stop crying honestly the vocal delivery, the production but most importantly THE LYRICS Reese you've definitely become one of the top acts in my books with Stockholm and now this this is just so incredible so emotional and it's something I think so many people need to hear you're honestly amazing Reese but I'm mad at you right now for making me break one of my New Year resolutions because I was supposed to cry less this year again great job cannot wait for the album

ooc: Great job on these lyrics both of you did an outstanding job here and on Stockholm I'm gonna need the two of you to start writing my lyrics :P

Reese: I'm so sorry for breaking one of your New Year's resolutions ;) but I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it! :)

OOC: Thanks a lot :)

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Tyler: Alright I'm can see why you have lasted for a while while this is a good song. I feel like the beat had sort of done before, like a lot. No disrespect you have a talented voice and it carry over to this well, but I would have like it better if the beat didn't remind me of songs I heard before. So I will give it 3 out of 5. personally I like the first song but this was good.

Reese: Well, most songs do sound a lot like each other these days, don't they? Glad you liked it :)

Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
Ezra: This is amazing. You get better and better, everytime you release something! I'm really excited for the album, and I can't wait to praise the hell out of you for it. I think It's going to be good year for you!

Reese: Thanks :)

Osprey037[Reported Failure wrote:
;429063]OOC: Everyone has said it but its worth saying again, excellent job on this. The lyrics are pretty stellar I can tell a lot of thought was put in to them.

OOC: Thanks so much :)
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

// REESE HOLLINSWORTH //
thanks 2 users thanked dohaihoangnam for this useful post.
mebeme101 on 03/01/2016(UTC), freestylechamp on 03/01/2016(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#11 Posted : 11 January 2016 15:03:42(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
Billy: I feel like we are just getting to know you with this release as well as Stockholm. Correct me if I'm wrong but I also believe you are only just discovering yourself as an artist and solidifying where you want to go and who you want to be. Now, we're friends but you know me, I tell it like it is. In all honesty, I wasn't a huge fan of your releases pre-Stockholm. Not saying they were bad but I think that anyone could have recorded them and made a decent profit out of them. I feel like you're really pushing yourself this time around and I don't care how long I have to wait for an album or the follow up single, just keep working away and deliver high quality bops like this. You and Airemese make a great songwriting duo. You both seem to be in sync and know exactly how to execute and comprise all of the ideas you must bounce off each other.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
dohaihoangnam on 09/06/2016(UTC)