logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Famouss7x7  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2016 16:45:34(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
VESSELS (2016 ALBUM)
UserPostedImage

TRACI -"UTOPIA" [NEW SINGLE]

It's a new year which means there will be new talent correct? 2015 proved to be a year that experienced its ups and downs but was still a very eventful year. A year that introduced many new talents, some lovely comebacks and of course the controversy. But we have passed 2015 and with 2016 officially started, we are sure the musicians of today have got plenty of tricks (and music) up their sleeve. One specific artist that we got to know some time ago was Traci. Originally born Traci Grace Elizabeth O'Connor, the New Zealand born musician hasn't had the easiest rode in making it to her big break in music. Care for a trail of the tape? The now 19 year old singer/songwriter grew up in the fast moving streets of Auckland to a poetic mother and a dead beat father who Traci has yet to reconnect with. Growing up in poverty with a mother who provided all that she could with low income didn't make for an easy upbringing for O'Connor either. Traci didn't have all the perks and possessions that many of the other kids in Traci's exhilarating city had, making Traci an easy target of bullying at a very young age. Naturally quirky and odd, her unorthodoxed looks and style gave posh children that attended Traci's grade school plenty of ammo to make fun of someone who didn't fit the mold of other Auckland children.

Admittedly; the weight of being bullied in school and not having a father figure anywhere to be found only sounds like a recipe for disaster for any young girl correct? Luckily, there was one thing keeping Traci upright and rational during those times: Poetry. Her mothers wonderful poems speaking of real life situations only inspired a young Traci to do the same and this soon became a hobby. Traci began writing poetry at the age of 13 years old. Traci writing poetry served as a means to escape the real life of the struggles she faced as a young girl. She had chance to express her frustrations from her heart onto paper and it certainly got her through the rest of her school years. Through her years in grade school Traci also found herself in chorus, where she would often sing at school shows, despite suffering from extensive stage fright. With time, Traci found her herself turning poetry into song writing and soon found that her dream all along was to be a musician. Fast forward three more years and Traci landed her first record deal with major record label.

After being signed to a label Traci was quickly thrown into the fast lane and before you know it, her self penned "Castles" (which spoke about imagining a life in Castles and royalty) was released to the public on July 28th, 2013 with virtually no promotion which comes as no surprise. Traci refused to follow the initial plans the label had for her in terms of image and even musical direction. After Castles failed to light up the charts or make any impact which was a given; Traci was released from her record contract. Soon after, Castles was featured on a popular television show and soon after the record was being covered by many people around the world. With all the coverage, Castles slowly started to rise up the charts and became quite a sleeper hit. Sadly for Traci, due to her not owning any rights to the song she did not recoup any advances or royalties from the songs success. Discouraged from the realization of the darkness of fame, Traci returned home with no true eagerness to give a go at being signed to another record label.

It seemed as if Traci was done with the business all together until she was contacted by well known indie artist Cristina Lake at the end of 2014. Cristina grew a liking to Traci after hearing the record and her heart tugging story as she felt she easily relates. In 2014, Cristina contacted Traci and spoke to her about possibly working together to create new music and to guide Traci as a young protegee under Lake's independent label, Daytime Listening. Traci at first declined Cristina's offering but in 2015, after her 19th birthday, she was ready to give another go at the big time and got back in contact with Cristina Lake to form a partnership. In the second quarter of 2015, Traci secretly entered the studio and began work on her debut album. During this time, she happened to be recording at the same studio as popular production duo The Wolverines and the Wolverines didn't waste anytime in asking her if she'd provide vocals for a track on their album. Surprisingly, Traci accepted and she recorded "Sores" which currently appearance on Breakout, a 2015 album by The Wolverines. With 2015 over, Traci finally feels she is ready to re-introduce herself to the public with a slightly new sound but the same outlook she had when she first debuted. It's about the music and she's ready to spread that message with an album in 2016.

UserPostedImage

Artist: Traci
Title: Utopia
Release Date: January 3rd, 2015 (Streaming), December 15th, 2015 (Airplay)
January 3rd, 2015 (Digital)
Length: 4:51
Genre: Indie Rock, Synth
Songwriters: Traci O'Connor, Linz Hearts, Ariel Rechtshaid
Producers: Ariel Rechtshaid, Traci O'Connor
Label: Daytime Listening, Independent
From The Album: Vessels (2016)

Track Overview

Utopia is a single by recording artist Traci O'Connor better known by her first name only, Traci. The record is the first single taken from her debut album entitled "Vessels" which will be experiencing a tentative release in 2016. "Utopia" is only the second official single released from Traci and marks her first release since 2013's Castles, which had moderate prominence on social media and charts. Despite Castles's sleeper success, Traci couldn't capitalize much off of the single due to copyright issues and other factors having to due with Traci's former label. After becoming a partner to independent label Daytime Listening, Traci began work on new music for an album. "Utopia" was recorded in September of 2015 with producer Ariel Rechtshaid after O'Connor and Rechtshaid sat in the studio for hours upon hours crafting the initial sound of the record as Traci wanted to live up to expectations from the last song. Utopia itself has an obvious sound reference from two of Traci's biggest influences in David Bowie and Nine Inch Nails, but somehow has a pop melody that refuses any form of candy coating. Traci's vocals are characteristically engaging, and pairs appropriately with the lyrics that challenges stereotypes. On top of that, the chorus is simple yet memorable, but the belting vocals as soon as the guitar driven chorus hits out like a classic anthem and is almost too easy to conceive.
This is one of those type of alternative songs that has every chance of being a mainstream hit, but isn’t shamelessly shooting for it. The song opens up with forceful drums and rebellious guitar riffs but through the ruckus, Traci's vocals drive right through heavy productions her echoey-unique voice finds way. Further more, the pop melody chorus is something to die for as synths, drums and the guitar riffs all behind Traci's proclaiming vocals will definitely be a festival hit as it is perfectly chant-able. Lyrically, Traci along with Linz Hearts, Ariel Rechtshaid penned a track that challenges stereotypes. From the opening lyric of /"From a big town full of fake friends"/. Traci is clearly speaking of Auckland, New Zealand where she grew up. Throughout the rest of the track, Traci gets at societal standards of driving sports cars, being small in size, being judged based on your looks, and fashion. The lyrically rebellious track mixes perfectly with the brash production as Traci makes it clear that she is not a fan of these standards and wants to be her. The sarcastically awesome record lasts for four minutes and twenty seconds before Traci belts out the final chorus and the song rides out.

Traci's Thoughts

Wrote this song after I was completely pissed with societal standards. It's just hell of annoying how society wants you to be. Everyone has to be Prim, Proper, Sweet, Clean or you easily won't be accepted by certain people and that's not always me. I get nervous, I'm a clutz, I'm not very pretty, nor am I always proper, I curse. It's pretty fucked up but that's the world we live in. I really wanted to create a track that gives people my outlook on those standard since I've been tormented for being "different" almost my entire life. I'm growing to be proud of who I am and how I am today but not for nothing it shouldn't be that way, we should be able to be who we are without being judged over it and I'm still pissed, I probably always will be! So yeah, I balled up my anger to write a rebellious, but slightly fun record that sarcastically bites back at many of the societal standards that we have to fight every day because the higher ups want it to be a Utopia, and it won't be. Sound wise, it's slightly different from my last record, I wanted to venture off into a new sound since I've been inspired by different types of sounds and music since 2013. I've grown and that will reflect better now that I've got the platform to actually show people what I love writing and singing about, thanks to Cristina Lake. She really inspired me to keep my dream alive and not give up. I think the world will get to know a lot about me this year.

From a big town full of fake friends
Where the last name don’t change and the games never ends
Where everybody drives a Mercedes Benz
And if you don’t you got no hope of fitting in
Where everyone’s like, I’m not insane
I judge you based on your pretty face
No more than a size two
What does this life mean to you

Trapped in a bubble, this ain’t the real world
Nobody truly cares how you feel girl
And if you frown, forced to turn it upside down
Cause this should be Utopia; Prim, Proper, Sweet, Clean
Whose gonna be the next Queen?
Thunder crashing, hope your reign won’t fall
Cause this should be
Utopia-a-a-a-a, Utopia-a-a-a-a
Uh-huh (x2)

Your name better be known in the flashing lights
Make sure you get the numbers
Of all the hot guys
Make sure not to eat half past ten
Cause tomorrow you might binge again
Gotta wear Alexander McQueen
If I don’t then people stare at me
You can’t walk into a thrift shop
When is this madness gonna stop?

Cause this should be
Uh-huh (x2)

I can’t see
Everythings is black and white
No grey in between
Can’t border line
Prim, Proper, Sweet, Clean
You wanna be your mothers dream
Married at 18 anyways
This life can’t remain the same

Cause this should be
Uh-huh (x2)

Sounds like

Edited by user 04 January 2016 16:46:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 10 users thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 04/01/2016(UTC), erich hess on 04/01/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 04/01/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 05/01/2016(UTC), GirlSpice on 05/01/2016(UTC), mebeme101 on 05/01/2016(UTC), DistortedAudio on 05/01/2016(UTC), PANIC! on 05/01/2016(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 06/01/2016(UTC), kandii on 07/01/2016(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2016 03:14:05(UTC)
GirlSpice

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Valentina: For someone so young, you seem to have a great grasp on the way the world works... which is kinda sad and messed up in a way am I right or am I right?? The lyrics are so brutally honest, but done so in a rly beautifully way that shocks me you're only 19, cuz girl... at that age the only thing I could write was my name. Barely. Great song tho, and I'm sure this'll be a big success for you. <3
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 05/01/2016(UTC)
Offline mebeme101  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2016 05:26:54(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Alec: I remember you debuting a few years ago and it was an incredible single you debuted with I always wondered why you never followed up on that but hearing things about label problems and what not I completely understand anyway I really loved Castles and I really love this song you're an incredible writer I think you've proved that already and I think that your return has already sparked some buzz so I can't wait to see where you go from here and what you do next because this track is incredible
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
Offline freestylechamp  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2016 05:34:10(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6113 time(s) in 2662 post(s)
Tyler: Hold up, really! this is like chant worthy. you really did a great job on the lyrics that takes an idea of a old concept and put a new reboot feel to it, so it feels familiar but not cliche and played out. The production team get a thumbs up and this was well put together. If this doesn't go number 1 on charts it's not because of lack of talent, but rather the hype machines and big name pushed the song down. 5/5 to start out the year.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
Offline erich hess  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2016 06:11:29(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erica: she probably didn't fit in with the rest of new Zealand since it's actually middle earth . not looking like a hobbit,troll,goblin,orc,elf,ent,wizard,or Viking man....well,it'd be easy to stand out amidst all those freaks.

Nina: you're a hobbit,Erica.

Erica: yeah? Well my feet are covered in your mom's kitty hair.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
Offline Famouss7x7  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2016 11:01:40(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: GirlSpice Go to Quoted Post
Valentina: For someone so young, you seem to have a great grasp on the way the world works... which is kinda sad and messed up in a way am I right or am I right?? The lyrics are so brutally honest, but done so in a rly beautifully way that shocks me you're only 19, cuz girl... at that age the only thing I could write was my name. Barely. Great song tho, and I'm sure this'll be a big success for you. <3

Traci: You know, it took me a long time to actually scrap it. I've just recently gotten a grasp on how the world works and it's totally fucked up the way things are, but it's the life we live. Having someone like yourself notice me is so flattering, I'm blushing right now! It took a while for this song to actually come into play. Almost 3 years since people last heard from me and on my return being noticed by Valetina, very much appreciated and your sweet words are delightful!

Originally Posted by: mebeme101 Go to Quoted Post
Alec: I remember you debuting a few years ago and it was an incredible single you debuted with I always wondered why you never followed up on that but hearing things about label problems and what not I completely understand anyway I really loved Castles and I really love this song you're an incredible writer I think you've proved that already and I think that your return has already sparked some buzz so I can't wait to see where you go from here and what you do next because this track is incredible

Traci: Yes I definitely had a terrible ordeal and it really taught me about contracts, money and how carefully maneuver through the industry and never sign things before carefully reading it through. But now that, that's over we're looking to the future. Thank you Alec, the biggest worry I had was living up to expectations from the last record I did and I'm incredibly happy that it's going over so well with people. In on a little secret? I've been listening to your music and totally getting inspired, I love your tunes!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
mebeme101 on 05/01/2016(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2016 11:12:08(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica: she probably didn't fit in with the rest of new Zealand since it's actually middle earth . not looking like a hobbit,troll,goblin,orc,elf,ent,wizard,or Viking man....well,it'd be easy to stand out amidst all those freaks.

Nina: you're a hobbit,Erica.

Erica: yeah? Well my feet are covered in your mom's kitty hair.

Traci: Actually, contrary to popular belief many people from New Zealand (especially from Aukland) are extremely superficial. Man people tend to believe New Zealand is loaded with creatures or something but we're just like any other country really. Don't be fooled,there are certain places in in NZ that I wouldn't recommend for anyone.

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Tyler: Hold up, really! this is like chant worthy. you really did a great job on the lyrics that takes an idea of a old concept and put a new reboot feel to it, so it feels familiar but not cliche and played out. The production team get a thumbs up and this was well put together. If this doesn't go number 1 on charts it's not because of lack of talent, but rather the hype machines and big name pushed the song down. 5/5 to start out the year.

Traci: Thank you for this superb review! Truthfully, I really don't care about charts. Yeah having a hit or two would probably be really cool but it's not something I'm striving for. I just like making music.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
erich hess on 05/01/2016(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#8 Posted : 06 January 2016 05:16:01(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
CosmaMendoza: I can't believe that you are only 2 years older than me. I feel like a little kid next to you. You seem like a great human being who's really humble. I love your beautiful voice and this song really showcases your voice in a amazing way. I can't wait for more and I'm excited for you. You'll get alot success, I can feel it.
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
Offline Famouss7x7  
#9 Posted : 06 January 2016 11:00:16(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
CosmaMendoza: I can't believe that you are only 2 years older than me. I feel like a little kid next to you. You seem like a great human being who's really humble. I love your beautiful voice and this song really showcases your voice in a amazing way. I can't wait for more and I'm excited for you. You'll get alot success, I can feel it.

Traci: I wouldn't call myself a "great" human being because we all have flaws. I just take my experiences in stride and have each experience shape me to be a better person, you know? Thank you for even giving this record the time of day and to extend it to such kind words. It's very much so appreciated and I am flattered Cosma!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline Osprey037[Reported Failure]  
#10 Posted : 06 January 2016 17:11:33(UTC)
Osprey037[Reported Failure]

Was thanked: 1780 time(s) in 805 post(s)
Matt: I love when new artist's are fierce and write their songs about serious issues and real life experiences instead of some generic love song or party song that they think can get hits. You definitely kept it real and a little sassy which makes it even better. Seems like you have a bright future in this business. Give em hell.
UserPostedImage
I might give Satan a swirly
thanks 1 user thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 06/01/2016(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#11 Posted : 07 January 2016 04:49:59(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Osprey037[Reported Failure wrote:
;429244]Matt: I love when new artist's are fierce and write their songs about serious issues and real life experiences instead of some generic love song or party song that they think can get hits. You definitely kept it real and a little sassy which makes it even better. Seems like you have a bright future in this business. Give em hell.

Traci: Unfortunately many of today's hit songs are exactly what you've stated. Then there's people like you and I and a handful of others who are in it for the actual music, writing and enlightenment of our listeners and if it becomes a hit then that's fucking cool aye? I've definitely got a knack for being sassy at times but I can't help it that I am opinionated, ha. Anyway, this is huge that Matt Collins is even complimenting me, wow. Thank you!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline BrownSugar  
#12 Posted : 11 January 2016 15:21:30(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19293 time(s) in 7678 post(s)
Riley: Glad that you are back. I remember your debut from a few years back. Sad to hear what happened between you and the label. This can be a very cold, nasty business. I have to say though that I think being an independent artist will do you the world of good. Listening to Utopia, digesting your lyrics and hearing you explain the meaning behind it, I can tell that you have a lot to say as well as a very strong vision and personality. Never let anyone alter that. Societal standards are just one thing I can't wrap my head around and millions feel pressured or that they aren't good enough because of this vicious circle. You know that as soon as someone changes to meet the standards of this "Utopia", they'll be hounded for not staying true to themselves. It seems like nobody can win. The only way we can is to be happy with who we really are and it's refreshing to see someone just come out and say it. I'm supporting the track and can't wait for feature releases :)
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 11/01/2016(UTC)
Offline lenastar  
#13 Posted : 12 January 2016 06:44:42(UTC)
lenastar

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Mae York: This song is so beautiful. Literally so unique in every way. <3 I hope this inspires our generation and the next to be themselves, and to not try to be something they're not... Or try too hard to fit in.. Love this though Traci <3