logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2016 04:49:48(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Single: Team
Artist: Daena
Label: Independent
Release Date: April 16th, 2016
Genre: R&B, soul, funk
Written by: Airemese Smith, Yasmine Kiambang, Mi Sun Kim
Produced by: DrewWB, FancyN
Length: 3:39

Team is a song from the Korean singer Daena who was formerly known as Dae Na of Mi•Mi. The song was written by Airemese Smith, Yasmine Kiambang, Mi Sun Kim and Drew Westbrook, the latter also having a hand in the production with FancyN. Team is an R&B love song that incorporates elements of soul, and 1970s-style funk music. Its lyrics describe a relationship that could be described as a work in progress as both partners come together and set their sights on winning the game of love. Following it's release, the single was lauded by critics who praised the lyrics as the second best thing about the song, the stunning vocals placing as first, her powerful gospel-like delivery reminding them of Aretha Franklin and Patti LaBelle.

In January of 2016, SM Entertainment announced that Dae Na Geum was no longer apart of the Korean-Pop girl group Mi•Mi, having completely terminated her contract with the label. Only days later Mi•Mi revealed that she was forced out of the group and began taking legal actions against the Korean recording label after claiming to have been mistreated for over a decade while under their care. It was confirmed that Mi•Mi was over a girl group, not wanting to make a comeback after losing one of it's 4 members but being aware that the label will see to the group never releasing again. While the other 3 members spend their time touring and going to court dates, Dae Na tours with them legally as an opening act and have been cut from all of their official appearances, along with having to file a completely separate lawsuit against SM Entertainment. It wasn't long before reports of all of the girls immediately beginning to prepare solo records after finishing up their third and final studio album flooded the tabloids, some calling it "the race to momentum". It's rare that we ever see more than one member of a group go solo and see success, but it's clear only one can come out on top. Seeing all 4 girls are extremely talented and capable, it seems the only way to get a good footing in the battle of the solo careers is to get the first solo debut. While we were all under the impression that the girls would wait until their label troubles were over and they had the chance to release their third album, Dae Na has changed her alias to Daena and released her debut single out of the blue without so much as the help of a label. It is now confirmed that for the last 6 months, she has been working hard on a debut album, already recording several songs that will appear on the record.

Most of the tracks that she has gotten her hands on were demos of her friends including from her former girl group. However, after she was deep in her plans of making this album, she wanted to make sure the lead single would be something that was created especially for her. She called up Airemese Smith, a long time collaborator of Mi•Mi and began work on Team. When they met up at the studio, Smith had brought along another fellow songwriter Yasmine Kiambang. After taking a few moments to get to know Daena and her singing techniques, together, they wrote the song in less than an hour. Daena was busy recording a few songs from her album.

After reading the lyrics Daena immediately fell in love with the song, knowing it was the perfect lead single. The first person she showed the song too was her former group member Mi Sun Kim, who adored it and edited the lyrics just a bit. After Misu's revisions, Daena recorded the song right away and the track was sent straight to FancyN who held onto it for a few weeks but then sent it to DrewWB. The way the song sounded made FancyN think of nothing but horns and a soulful choir. As a producer she was much more experienced in more crossover alternatives to R&B but she knew Team was pure R&B soul. She felt like DrewWB could do it justice as he specialized in experimenting with soul and funk. He built the instrumental off of horn riffs which were accompanied by other band instruments like drums and tambourines. He then had Daena layer her voice over and over to give the song a fuller, louder gospel sound. FancyN finalized the track, adding a few melodies on top and mastering the song.

Daena
choir

I'll never spend another night in silence
Wanted to connect with my baby, but I let us get lost in the feed
I swore I could hear the angels crying
We both know I'm stubborn baby, but this time I've gotta accept defeat
My hands are tied
I know that you lied
In the darkest of times
You know how I get
But if we were to fast forward it
And skip right to the end
We wont care who's scoring
Because there's bigger things than an argument to win

You'll hold me in your hands
I'll widen my stance
They may never understand
But we'll know where we stand
I'll redirect my fight
You'll learn to spend the night
We may never get it right
But we'll be side by side

You and me
The only guarantee
My only L-U-V
We make the greatest team

I'll never spend another night alone
I finally admit that you got me baby, just never let me go
When you look at me, I can hear the angels sing
We both know I'm stubborn baby, but this time I've gotta accept defeat
My hand is yours
My mind is sure
Let's take a walk on the shores
This is as good as it gets
If we skipped to the end
Right pass the fouls and interceptions
We'd see it doesn't matter who's scoring
There's bigger things to win

I'll widen my stance
I'll redirect my fight

Right there at the top
Standing tall as one
The heavens will riiiise!
After it all, we won
The greatest rewaaard
Is you by my side
I'll be here for life
It was always just you and I

You and me
The only guarantee
My only L-U-V

You and me
(the greatest..)
The only guarantee
My only L-U-V
(teeam!)

I'll widen my stance
I'll redirect my fight

I'll widen my stance
I'll redirect my fight

Edited by user 23 December 2020 16:26:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
erich hess on 17/04/2016(UTC), Atonic Records on 17/04/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 17/04/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 17/04/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 18/04/2016(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 17 April 2016 05:00:43(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erica: this sounds like grown folks baby making music.

Nina:ew. now im picturing my parents having sex. my dad looks like andy capp and my mum looks like miss lockhorn.

erica:does your dog look like snoopy?

nina:dont be absurd,love. he looks like marmaduke. im making a point not to like this. i liked mimi too much.no matter how much erica dances.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
kandii on 17/04/2016(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#3 Posted : 17 April 2016 06:11:38(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica: this sounds like grown folks baby making music.

Nina:ew. now im picturing my parents having sex. my dad looks like andy capp and my mum looks like miss lockhorn.

erica:does your dog look like snoopy?

nina:dont be absurd,love. he looks like marmaduke. im making a point not to like this. i liked mimi too much.no matter how much erica dances.

Daena: You heard Erica, Nina! This is grown folks music, you're not a real one if you don't like it. Make it easier on yourself and 'accept defeat'!...

*crickets*

Daena: my shameless self plug deserves at least a cackle.

thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
erich hess on 17/04/2016(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#4 Posted : 17 April 2016 06:19:13(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
erica:i dont like awkward silence,so i'll help you out. *cackles*
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
kandii on 17/04/2016(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#5 Posted : 20 April 2016 04:42:37(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
CosmaMendoza: This is honestly amazing. The lyrics, your voice, the production etc. I can't find any flaws, it's just beautiful!
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
kandii on 20/04/2016(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#6 Posted : 22 April 2016 07:25:41(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
CosmaMendoza: This is honestly amazing. The lyrics, your voice, the production etc. I can't find any flaws, it's just beautiful!

Daena: Thank you so much Cosma! We worked hard on this one and so it means a lot!