logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Famouss7x7  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2016 10:19:57(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artists: Cristina Lake (feat. Jay-C)
Title: "Heartstrings"
Release Date: August 20th, 2016
Genre: Guitar Pop, Alternative R&B
Songwriters: Cristina Lake, Jamel Carter
Producers: K-Gee, Jamel Carter
From The Album: TBA (2017)

With the summer still scorching but definitely on it's way out, artists are most definitely getting ready to set releases for the fourth quarter of 2016, one of the most exciting moments throughout the year for artist releases. With a summer that featured many new releases, one artist that (unsurprisingly) has been relatively quiet in this time being has been Cristina Lake. Just last year, the famed actress and songwriter released the highly successful album "Toxic Woman" that featured singles Blinded By The Weakness, One Day, Long Distance Lies, Addicted To Broken Hearts and finally Toxic Woman (title track). The album saw Cristina Lake swim through her music niche but show a new, edgier side to who she is while introducing excitable new music. The album dropped last summer and set the industry alight by it's surprise release. The record which features edgy anthems and ballads gave Cristina her second consecutive number one album following Cristina's second album "Chasing The Renegades" which was mostly a haunting yet depressing body of work dedicated to her lost loved one, Jack Frost.

However, since then, Cristina Lake has experienced new found glory and confidence and it seems that although there will most certainly be a void for Lake with his loss, she seems to have gotten over the dark days and has vitalized herself into superstardom and it took quite some time and some hardships. Looking back at her start with her debut album NOLA, Cristina Lake has maintained a high profile in the industry till this very day. After the release of Toxic Woman in the summer of 2016, Cristina was already working on new material just months after wrapping up the filming of a new movie that is currently To Be announced. Still, Lake didn't intend on releasing an album right away and took the free range approach of recording new music. Over the past 8 months Cristina Lake has been freely writing material and recording it as she goes, not sticking to a recording schedule but finding more time to execute new ideas and get right into the studio when those ideas were running hot. As 2016 surged in, there was no official announcement of new Cristina Lake material but during this time, Lake has been formulating the core sound of new material, with the mission to deliver an album that broadens the musical spectrum of Cristina Lake as an artist and musician. When she was approached by paparazzi in May 2016, Cristina Lake was asked how her new music was going to sound and Lake responded "Definitely more melodic!" before getting into her vehicle. Still there was no official announcement until August 20th!

"Heartstrings" is a the newest single released by musician and actress Cristina Lake. The single is the first release from Cristina Lake's upcoming fourth studio album, which has yet to be given a release date or title. Heartstrings also features Jay-C in his very first collaboration since being incarcerated in 2010. Heartstrings is also produced by British producer K-Gee with production values also coming from Jamel Carter (Jay-C). This new single release sees Cristina Lake drifting into new territory soundwise and clearly shows Cristina's desire to experiment with different music types, as Heartstrings sounds more R&B than anything and is contrasting to her usual ballad heavy indie releases. Still, Heartstrings features the aura, and charisma that Lake offers on her work, making this a tasteful venture into new sound, while still maintaining the trademark Cristina Lake sound all the while. It may also come to as a surprise that Cristina Lake has a rap feature on her record, the first time Cristina Lake has ever done so. The only ever rap release Cristina Lake has been apart of was 2010's "Hes Gonna Cry"; a single release of fellow rapper/singer Chloe that Cristina Lake featured on. "Heartstrings" itself is an addictive throwback sounding R&B/alternative concoction that is both sassy and soulful as it is haunting and proclaiming. Cristina Lake sings about a protagonist who seems to play with her "heartstrings" with their shady ways and in many ways the catalyst feels like she's a toy. On the song, Cristina sings about having talent in playing instruments, but the other being only seems good to be playing with her "heartstrings", in which Cristina refers to her heart being an instrument that is played. The clever lyrics are all the more enhanced by the catchy undertone of the guitar chords that lay over a 90's infused backing beat with Cristina delivering us soulful harmonies.

Heartstrings has a vintage feel but in no way sounds out of this place in this day in age and as you listen to the record you can't help but feel as if you are taken back to the hay day's of the 90's pop music. Cristina Lake, K-Gee and Jay-C make sure this song is done correctly so it does not sound outdated in 2016 and in fact, the team delivers a mature yet youthful sounding groove that can catch you right off guard. The harmonies throughout the record make the single sound infectious as Cristina's haunting vocals parade calmy, yet soulfully over the beats. Jay-C on the other hand makes his first rap appearance since his promotional record "Faint" and his first collaboration in over five years playing the protagonist on the song. Over the guitar, and drum driven opening. Jay-C wastes no time making his presence known for the first time in a while, even going as far as to calling out the name of rapper "Payton" with a comedic punchline. This dig can even be looked at as a reply to Payton's controversial record "At the top" which called out many rappers. Jay-C opens up the record with his brooklyn-accented flow, making us feel back at home with one of raps first big rap stars, giving the song an even more nostalgic dynamic. Cristina Lake then makes way, using her charismatic vocals to tell a story before the first bridge where she hauntingly says "And they are weakened even more..By your toxic tune ...And your need for an encore" before the song brings into a catchy, yet laid back chorus. Jay-C delivers another verse, this time during the bridge where he elaborates as the protagonist, giving his side of this "relationship turned dark" where he ends of his line with the perfect finish. Following that, Cristina sings the chorus and bridge again, as this new single rides out to the finish.

"Heartstrings" is the first offering to come from Cristina Lake's highly anticipated fourth studio album, which is set to be released in 2017 through her self owned record label, "Daytime Listening". Heartstrings is now available.

Quote:
Cristina Lake
Jay-C

LYRICS;

You see this line drawn in felt tip pen?
You can play another tune but it depends
Would it be a big number one hit?
Something we can play when we mingle?
Or it could end up in the bin like a Payton single
I don't know how much more I can take
Of you being a big fat fake
Jog on ma n*gga, see ya later
Have another go with another hater

You have played with peoples hearts before
I've have seen you do just that
You snap the strings right in half
Oh with your deadly hand
You must know how much it hurts me when you leave
But you just snap them again with your sharpened teeth

oh, you play it like a melody

My strings are nearly broken babe
And they are weakened even more
By your toxic tune
And your need for an encore

I can play the tambourine and the big base drum
I can play the tri-an-gle, but that ain't no fun
The only thing you know how to play is my heart
and you play it, play it like a melody
oh, play it like a melody
you play it, play it like a melody

I'm down on my knees, I'm gasping for breath
What more can you ask for? I have nothing left
Go and play with other hearts instead
Cause I have drawn the line to cut you off

My heartstrings are nearly broken babe
By your toxic tune

I can play the tri-an-gle, but it aint fun
you play it, play it like a melody

Listening to the beat of my melody
Takes me back to a place livin' in yesterday
From the I love yous to your broken heartstrings
Thinkin back to how we lived, would I change a thing?...

Now maybe it was you that did something wrong
Did you ever stop to think about that?
Nah, that's why I can put the words to this song
Taken for granted I'm not your doormat
Self confusion kept in my mind for too long
Anger began to build up in my heart
From the talks to the fights it was tearing us apart
While we pretend in everyone else's eyes
We had everyone believing our lies
Too many words exchanged and the damage was done
And you say been played like a melody?
Well you ain't the only one.

I can play the tri-an-gle, but it aint fun

Oh I can play the tambourine, I can play the tri-an-gle
The big bass drum and it's so much fun
The only thing you played were the strings in my heart
But its over now the melody is gone
There is a new one now and it ain't yours
You play my heart like a melody, yeah
melody

Oh I can play the tambourine, I can play the tri-an-gle
the big bass drum and its so much fun
The only thing you played were the strings in my heart
but its over now the melody is gone
There is a new one now and it ain't yours

My heartstrings are nearly broken babe
By your toxic tune

Sounds Like:

Edited by user 21 August 2016 10:58:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 6 users thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 21/08/2016(UTC), freestylechamp on 21/08/2016(UTC), erich hess on 21/08/2016(UTC), C4AJoh on 21/08/2016(UTC), BrownSugar on 21/08/2016(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/08/2016(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2016 20:19:45(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8683 time(s) in 2724 post(s)
Cara Zayn: It's so great to see you back once more, I can't wait to see what you come up with for the next little while. I'm always gonna prefer your earlier work, but I'm an advocate for change and I think you can become one of the biggest popstars in the industry. So why not change it up and see how far you can go with that! Good luck with everything, it's already looking and sounding like you've got a lot more to showcase.
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 22/08/2016(UTC)
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#3 Posted : 21 August 2016 20:48:31(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3999 time(s) in 1367 post(s)
Elyar: I am really liking this song its definitely got an old school feel and that's always a plus in my books, wonderful job Cristina
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked AmyJayneXoX for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 22/08/2016(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#4 Posted : 23 August 2016 00:22:41(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Cara Zayn: It's so great to see you back once more, I can't wait to see what you come up with for the next little while. I'm always gonna prefer your earlier work, but I'm an advocate for change and I think you can become one of the biggest popstars in the industry. So why not change it up and see how far you can go with that! Good luck with everything, it's already looking and sounding like you've got a lot more to showcase.

Cristina: I've always felt the need to continue to experiment with my music and find different outlets that I want to explore as a musician and an actress too. It's crazy how it's already about to be my fourth album and with this one, I really wanted to try something completely new and fresh for me as the first offering. I understand that you would prefer my earlier works but we can't always be stuck in the past, now can we ;) Thank you Cara, and the same to you. Best of luck.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

Offline Famouss7x7  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2016 00:28:03(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: AmyJayneXoX Go to Quoted Post
Elyar: I am really liking this song its definitely got an old school feel and that's always a plus in my books, wonderful job Cristina

Cristina: How kind, Elyar! :) yes I definitely wanted go take that approach with Heartstrings. I'm glad it's sound translated that feel for you. Thank you!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage