logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2017 08:55:01(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19292 time(s) in 7678 post(s)
ooc: This song was written by myself and user mebeme101.
It is his act at the forefront but as he's not around, I am posting this in order to keep the timeline we agreed on flowing.
Not taking over AJ in any way, shape or form.

UserPostedImage
Artist(s): AJ, Joshua Grimmie
Title: Really Somebody
Genre: Pop, R&B, Rap
Length: 4:10
Written By: A.Marshall, J.Grimmie, C.Hudson
Produced By: AJ
Label: FREEDOM / Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: N/A

"Really Somebody" is a song by American singer-songwriter and actor AJ and prominently features guest vocals from Joshua Grimmie. The song serves as a comeback for both vocalists on the track as AJ embarked on a lengthy break from the industry and Grimmie was involved in a legal battle with his former record label which prevented him from releasing any new material. The track, as of right now, is a standalone release as AJ has no immediate plans to release a new album or EP while Grimmie appears as only a guest vocalist and will therefore not feature on his upcoming debut album. Really Somebody is AJ's first release in three years and the track continues to showcase his ever evolving maturity as a performing. Marshall was originally brought to the public's attention as a child Disney star and released a pop album under Hollywood Records in the same vein as the joyful characters he once portrayed. In 2013, AJ made a return to music with a new "adult" image and brand new label.

FREEDOM and Joshua's label Five Pesky Kids decided to merge their acts together for this release as it was originally born out of a mistake. Famed singer-songwriter Christopher Hudson accidentally played Grimmie a beat which AJ created for himself. Hudson was in possession of the music as he agreed to work on some music with Marshall too. By the time the error was brought to his attention, Joshua and Christopher had already written a song and even recorded a rough vocal demo over the track. Rather than scrap it completely, the song was played for AJ and after enjoying the results, Pesky approached with the idea of an official collaboration between the two of them. Grimmie's original verses had been removed and replaced with new ones written and recorded by AJ while Joshua's chorus and bridge remained intact.

Lyrically, the song steps away from the mainstream norm and documents a rocky homosexual relationship rather than a typical straight one. It has been labelled as "brave" and both artists have received praise for releasing such a track as AJ is actually a heterosexual man while Joshua identifies as being pansexual and is a huge activist for the LGBTQ community. "Really Somebody" showcases two sides of a violent and unstable relationship with Marshall serving as the antagonist and Grimmie takes on the role of the victim. AJ showcases his rapping skills as he delivers lines about his volatile temper, how misunderstood he is and suggests his love for rough sexual intercourse. In response, Grimmie states that even though this behaviour wears him down and even wants out at times, the intensity of the relationship keeps him feeling alive and being the other half of his partner gives him a purpose. There is also suggested drug use as they refer to feeling "high" and in the first lines of the chorus Grimmie sings, "Lips tasting something different wrapped 'round your cigarette / And I don't know what it is but it's helping me to forget", most probably referring to marijuana. In a nutshell, the song incorporates themes of pain-is-pleasure type of love.

"Really Somebody" has received mixed to positive reactions in regards to the vocal performances. Much of the praise has come from the "emotionally charged" deliveries of both AJ and Joshua. Kat Being from Billboard commended Marshall for his "aggressive, brutish delivery" and Grimmie for sounding "as fragile, swooning and believable as ever". Christina Lee of Idolator praised the production and their vocals on the song describing it as a "bold, traumatic yet deliciously intriguing love story" and praised AJ for showing off a "totally new and unexpected" side to him while Joshua sounded like the "perfect mixture of hurt and alluring" over a "sleek" and "dreamy" hook. On the other hand, PopCrush's Brendley Stern was positive about the production and LGBTQ nature of the song but lambasted AJ's "flat and lukewarm so-called rap flow" and heavily criticised Joshua stating; "Grimmie whines and wails to the point where it literally makes you tense up and cringe at the uncomfortable strain in his voice". Nicholas Hautman of Us Weekly also had a negative response in regards to Joshua's vocals; "While 19-year-old Joshua Grimmie clearly possesses a knack for songwriting and has a truly unique voice which he showcased on his debut single, Prayer, I can't help but wince at his delivery on Really Somebody. Kudos for trying a softer singing style and stepping out of his comfort zone but it's clear that it definitely strains his chords and what was supposed to be a delicate, light and fragile performance ultimately comes across as sounding more like a sheep retching on cotton wool".

Joshua Says
Quote:
"I am so fucking proud of being on a track like this. Even from the get-go, before all the confusion with the backing track and way before I even knew who AJ was, I had a feeling that Really Somebody would become something special. Before going on to be about a same-sex relationship and a track with two different stories running through it, I co-penned it with Christopher Hudson with the initial idea of it revolving around a person who stays in a volatile relationship because they are dependent on the pain to keep them going. They have a warped sense of what love really is and think that being a punching bag is a legitimate purpose in life. Even in the early days of this song, it was about some pretty intense shit. I met AJ to discuss what we wanted to do with the song as we felt like both the work we had created was too good to scrap. Originally, I was going to hand over my lyrics and let a female vocalist jump on it with AJ while Christopher and I just collected royalties from it. I felt like it was the only option even though I really didn't want to let such a great song go. I was toying with the idea of keeping my vocals on it right from the start but I feared that AJ and the labels would be uncomfortable with that. I then gave myself a smack in the face and realised that fearing a same-sex relationship is so fucking stupid. I had no idea why I was nervous about it in the first place. I called AJ up the next morning and told him that I wanted to stay on the track and without hesitation, he agreed. I thought that was pretty fucking cool of him and definitely spoke volumes. Our labels also championed the idea. I feel like we need more songs like this on the radio...not so much about violent relationships obviously but ones that highlight the fact that it's not just straight couples who exist and identify with music. It's definitely going to ruffle a few feathers, especially taking into consideration the current mindset of a lot of people and when the video drops it's going to be taken to a whole other level."

"Really Somebody"

AJ
Joshua

Lips tasting something different wrapped 'round your cigarette
And I don't know what it is but it's helping me to forget
There's something burning and it's shooting through my veins
You kiss it better, wash away my tears in your acid rain
Oh it cuts so deep but I've never been thrown this high
Blasting loud in our madhouse party with two fingers up to the sky
When you turn me up and turn it on, I feel like I'm really somebody, like I am worthy
I'm the centre of your attention, drowning in the flashing lights
We're screaming over sirens, it's just another Saturday night
When you throw your sticks and stones, I feel like I'm really somebody
Like I'm fucking somebody

Wanna flashback? Think of all the good
I ain't that bad, just misunderstood
Get you up high, with that good love
Got that bad love, the kind of shit you dream of
Screamin' loud in my face but, don't you know I'm just as loud?
Screamin' back til my voice crack, standin' watchin' you walk out
But I'll see you back in a min, cause you're ignorant in the bliss
Got that good shit that you like, and the bad you can't resist
Your friends like

Why you even stayin' playin' all the games he's playin
Scars on your body covered up in a sweater

When you turn me up and turn it on, I feel like I'm really somebody, like I am worthy

Aye, I don't wanna change it, I'm deranged
Got that love hate, that good shit can't complain
You got me so high, like a plane
Maybe we're both insane, we love the pain
I'm lovin' the difference, bite instead of kissin'
Got the gun to your head, but you're pullin the trigger
You're my perfect little victim, when I'm only seein' red
Take a beatin' in the kitchen, and another in the bed
Your friends like

When you love and hate so hard, you're gonna go down in flames
We'll ignite together, these wild hearts are going to share a grave
Your dagger falls out, down with me onto the hazy bedroom floor
Bounce back like elastic, on my knees again just begging for more
In the arms of my savior, in the grasp of my biggest of fears
There's no point in calling out just to fall on your deaf ears
You only hear what you want to hear but it's OK 'cause...
When you throw your sticks and stones, I feel like I'm really somebody, like I'm fucking somebody

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 05 March 2017 18:58:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 9 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
JohnnyBBB on 24/02/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 24/02/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 24/02/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 24/02/2017(UTC), erich hess on 24/02/2017(UTC), freestylechamp on 25/02/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 27/02/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 27/02/2017(UTC), kandii on 02/03/2017(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#2 Posted : 26 February 2017 00:56:53(UTC)
Welat65

Groups: Registered
Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
CosmaMendoza: This is such a good song, definitly brave in times where the situation gets worse thanks to a certain somebody who's not even worth mentioning. The lyrics gave me honestly goosebumps, it's a work of art. You guys can be proud of your work, it's really good!
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 26/02/2017(UTC)
Offline JohnnyBBB  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2017 21:05:04(UTC)
JohnnyBBB

Man
Greece

Was thanked: 1727 time(s) in 443 post(s)
JohnnyCarter: Wow guys you did THAT! Great song song! Great collab! It means so much to me and it's the perfect time for songs like this one because we are living in difficult times and we need people and songs like this! I love how this collab sounds, great idea! Great job guys!
thanks 1 user thanked JohnnyBBB for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 27/02/2017(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#4 Posted : 02 March 2017 07:35:11(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Coke: This song is so beautifully written, composed and sung, I'm in love and I'm not sure how to tell my man. I follow Joshua Grimmie on Twitter religiously and I had no idea AJ would be coming back on the scene anytime soon, so I already knew I was going to get knocked off of my feet but wow.. It's literally perfect you guys, so good. Thank you for giving me a new anthem lol I've been neeeeeding one!
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 02/03/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 22 March 2017 06:15:59(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
CosmaMendoza: This is such a good song, definitly brave in times where the situation gets worse thanks to a certain somebody who's not even worth mentioning. The lyrics gave me honestly goosebumps, it's a work of art. You guys can be proud of your work, it's really good!

Joshua: Thank you very much, Cosma. I think that during times like these we need to be "ourselves" more than ever. Not saying that I'm in an abusive relationship and fucking love it like this song, however, I think the statement of two men being together stands strong. People are really on edge and uncomfortable about many situations but that doesn't mean we should be silent. This is when we push forward and open up conversations. Hopefully this song gets a lot of people talking about the issues raised :)

Originally Posted by: JohnnyBBB Go to Quoted Post
JohnnyCarter: Wow guys you did THAT! Great song song! Great collab! It means so much to me and it's the perfect time for songs like this one because we are living in difficult times and we need people and songs like this! I love how this collab sounds, great idea! Great job guys!

Joshua: JOHNNY!! ❤️ You were one of the first people to know about the track outside of those who worked on it and I really appreciate the support you've giving the song. Don't want to seem all mushy and like I'm blowing smoke up your ass but artists like you and Dustyn Blue really helped open the gates and allowed this song to come to fruition. With more people in the industry coming out and being themselves, it's making it much easier for songs like this to be more commercially acceptable and championed by important figures. Thanks for the words x
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
JohnnyBBB on 22/03/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#6 Posted : 22 March 2017 06:20:58(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: kandii Go to Quoted Post
Coke: This song is so beautifully written, composed and sung, I'm in love and I'm not sure how to tell my man. I follow Joshua Grimmie on Twitter religiously and I had no idea AJ would be coming back on the scene anytime soon, so I already knew I was going to get knocked off of my feet but wow.. It's literally perfect you guys, so good. Thank you for giving me a new anthem lol I've been neeeeeding one!

Joshua: Haha, well thank you for all of the love! I always find it weird talking positively in regards to the song and getting a buzz from it all as it's actually about domestic violence with a hint of drug abuse 😶 I am glad that the song struck a chord with you though. Aside from the lyrics, we wanted Really Somebody to hit the mark in every aspect and the production of the track really helps take it to the next level. We aimed to create something that will stick in people's minds and evoke a strong reaction upon first listen. I think we may have done that...yes? haha. Thanks for the support and I'm sure that AJ is very grateful too...wherever he is at.
UserPostedImage