logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2017 04:04:20(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8683 time(s) in 2724 post(s)
UserPostedImage

'MAYBE THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT'
By Brian Hiatt
Photographs by Alex Morris

UserPostedImage

A rather humid early morning in downtown Los Angeles finds the trio of Adam Benjamin, Amy Meyer and Jason Greenberg sat in the parking lot of Village Studios. The place that has almost become an unorthodox home for them ever since they decided to begin working on their sixth studio album at the very beginning of this year. From the outside looking in, it appears that for the final few months of 2016 Riot! in the Boulevard have been a band in limbo. Their final public appearance together was in August 2016 and it's widely understood that the trio went their separate ways and decided to do their own thing in the months that followed with the assumption that there would be no new record for the band anytime soon. However, there were no stories of tensions from within or failures to deliver; in fact the trio consider their relationships with one another as strong as it has ever been and their recent return to the studio earlier this year has been a catalyst for re-invention and an absolute unprecedented joy, which the three of them are all too willing to point out is not usually the case when they're working together on a brand new record for their fans.
However, things feel a little different this time around as their positivity shines through and their spirits appear to be at an all time high, perhaps after five albums that they all willingly admit tore away small parts of their unbreakable bond with one another, they have finally figured out how to make the mundane fun and have come to understand that patience is the key to delivering the best they have to offer. Or perhaps they're just enjoying the Los Angeles life while they're here.

Sat in the parking lot, backs against the wall of the record studio and in a jovial mood, Amy Meyer jumps immediately to her feet as she realises that they have company today. She makes her way over towards myself and greets me with lots of enthusiasm. Over the years, I feel like I have built up some form of connection and rapport with this unique group of individuals who just happen to connect immensely whenever they're around each other. Amy thunderously comes hurling over towards me with both rhythm guitarist Adam Benjamin and bass guitarist Jason Greenberg following behind. “It's great for us to finally see another human!” she jokes, “It's been an interesting start to the summer.” she remarks with a small chuckle. Adam and Jason both greet me with handshakes and a nonchalant coolness that I've come to expect from the pair of them, Jason in particular. Adam heads over and collects a couple of things seemingly left in the parking lot by fans overnight and pushes open the entrance door to the location where they have opted to record their sixth studio album.

Heading inside the studio, it's clear that it's a little generic looking. Golden records framed on walls that were presumably recording within these walls and the occasional award or plaque hanging proudly. Amy, Adam and Jason lead me down the hallway and to the room at the furthest end of the studio, it's a larger scale room and seems a little more homely for the group. There's a few personal photographs of loved ones framed and sat proudly on an office desk in the corner and in the dead centre is a performance area, microphone stands and stools set up in place. The desk is littered with paper, some with lyrics scrawled on them and some are completely blank. There's around four or five A5 notebooks sat neatly on the large wooden desk and there's a large sized white board sat directly opposite the stools that occupy the center of the room. A glance upwards and you'll spot the balcony area which leads into the production booth where during recording sessions they'll be occupied by long-time friends Christian Fallon and Cara Zayn as they attempt to perfect the sounds that they hear ever-so-slightly.

In the corner of the room is a couple of medium sized leather sofa's and a large coffee table sat in-between them both and after a brief tour of the facility, is where we locate for our interview. As coffee's and fruit scones are set down on the table we begin the formalities of what is often the easiest assignments I've ever been asked to take part in. This is clearly not a group of young musicians with somebody constantly in their ears, telling them what to say and what not to say. This is a group of musicians who have experienced all kinds of highs and lows and have absolutely no fear in giving their truth.

So, guys. Album number six. How crazy is it to think that you've already reached this number. It's insane to have that level of productivity in this day and age.

Jason: You know, I feel like a very old man when you put it like that. I'm only twenty-four years old, I should not be feeling this way. But it does feel like we've been doing this for so long and we have. We were just kids when things took off for us. Amy and Adam were only sixteen years old. We literally finished exams in April and we were playing shows on the Warped Tour in July and supporting our debut album and touring throughout Europe. That was the craziest year without doubt and we've had a few crazy years since then.

Amy: I think with the way music has gone even since we started it has meant that you have to be constantly working. I know some artists and friends that I've made in this industry are recording songs for their upcoming album and at the same time they're recording songs for the next album after that one. It's insane that we're starting to work that far ahead. I mean, all my favourite bands that I grew up supporting never had that kind of productivity. It could be a three year gap or more before you heard any talk of a next album. That still happens with some people, but I think we're all encouraged to start thinking about the next one as soon as, if not even before the current one is released.
I think we're a little under an album per year ratio which I think is pretty good going but as the years have gone on, it's taken longer for us to finish writing and recording our records. I find it surreal sometimes when people point out that we've put out five studio albums already though.

Well then, let's talk a little about the new record. I know you haven't finished it up completely just yet but what can you tell us about it so far?

Adam: We're going all out with this one in terms of music and genres. We're aiming to do it all, soul, punk, reggae, EDM, country. You name a genre and we'll put it on the record. It's an experiment that will either condemn us to never recording an album again or it will be the record that crowns us the king of the entire world.

Amy: That is wildly untrue and misleading.

Adam: I guess we both have very different ears then.

Amy: It's in keeping with what we're about as a band. I've always described our music for the last two records as mature pop-punk. It's that common phrase of 'being too punk for the pop kids and being too pop for the punk kids'. It's somewhere in between and lyrically it is very much about where we are as a group of young adults now. The title of the album is 'Young Cardinals' which I think sort of ties in with that lyrical theme a little too. There's already three songs released from the album, “Asylum”, “Swinging for the Fences” and “Pop Culture x Hungry Vulture” and I think if you enjoyed those tracks then you'll be in for a treat with the album.

You guys recently posted a track listing on your website which indicated that there will be twenty-two songs on the album. That's definitely an ambitious move on your part. What was the reasoning behind this?

Jason: I think firstly, we felt that the material was there. We had written a lot of songs in anticipation for the record and that was all before we stepped foot into the recording studio. We've been in the studio since January and so of course we've continued to write whenever we've felt inspired to which has been super productive for us this time around. There was just a wealth of material to choose from and that's maybe why we've gone with such a big record.

Adam: The songs that we've chosen all felt very connected with each other and at this point in our careers I think we've had quite a lot to say about our own personal feelings, our relationships with one another, where we are as growing adults and the industry that we're apart of. Needless to say, it's not all happy. But the challenge was choosing which songs get left off the record and I think we've always struggled with that side of things which is why traditionally we've had lengthy albums.

You talked about how it's not all happy. Why is that?

Jason: We've been through a lot as a band and I think we've always written what we've felt.

Amy: I agree with that but I also think there have been times when we've held back or at least there have been times when I've held things back and felt like they shouldn't be written about and sort of buried them away. It's not been an easy ride. I know a lot of people tend to look at it from face value and they see the live shows and the fun we have during those shows and how much we love performing the songs that we've created but we've gone through a lot of tough times through the years, there's been a whole world of sadness that we've had to deal with and that we've dealt with pretty privately but also there's stuff that's broken us up inside and it's played out very much front and center and we've had to figure out how to deal with that side of things to.

Adam: It's not a career path to choose lightly if you like to have friends for a long time.

And why do you say that?

Amy: It happens much too often. The obvious is both Justin and Nathan leaving the band. We started the band as five of the closest friends you will ever see and the challenges along the way, the schedule, spending almost 24/7 with any people will do that to you no matter how close your bond is. I mean, for the first two years I basically lived on a small bus with four other guys. These are the best friends I ever had and there was nobody I'd have rather spent all that time with and that amount of time together killed some of that bond. But it's not just losing friends from the band but from home too. The first time we returned to our neighbourhood after our first major tour, a lot of those friends that we had became strangers. Consider that we were seventeen and eighteen as were our friends and as naively and stupidly as it sounds, when you're that age and you see other people living out that kind of unfathomable fantasy life, there's jealously and resentment.

Adam: It sucks, like I don't know about Amy and Jason but I'm just tired of losing good friendships.

I guess that is just a major part of this lifestyle. I'm sure it happens to many others. But let's get back to the music. For a while now there has always been talk that each record could be your last. Were are you at as a band right now?

Amy: I understand it.

Jason: I think only a few bands in history don't have a shelf-life and I don't think we're one of those bands. We're not an Iron Maiden or a Rolling Stones or anything like that. There's a period of us as a band and there'll be a time when we're not.

Amy: It's always made sense to me. For something to have longevity there needs to be a period of missing something and yearning for it. We've only ever took very small breaks before, three to six months at the most and I think the time has caught up to us. We love what we do and we love the legacy that we have created. We tend not to look too far ahead, but I don't know. I think “Young Cardinals” feels like a book end.

So you're saying this could be the final album?

Amy: We all kind of feel like this is maybe the last one together for a little while.

Jason: At this stage, around six albums in. We're feeling a little broken down. A long break is definitely needed.

Adam: I will forever be a cheerleader for this band. I'm a fan first. Do we need a break? Yes. Do I want us to take a break? Absolutely not. I will try my best to convince them not to have a break. I've done it before and it resulted in probably our best work yet.

Does the current state of rock music have an effect on this decision?

Jason: I don't think it does at all because I don't think we cater to a rock-specific audience any more and haven't for a good while now. We have guitars and drums in our music and I guess our blueprint is very much based on what inspired us which was rock music and pop-punk. But I think as we've grown we've become a more broader band. We're not a rock band, we're just a band. The genre is irrelevant.

Amy: As you grow older, your tastes change. It's a simple way of life. I can still be that angry emo kid I once was when I have to be and you'll see that on the new album I'm sure. But as much as I would define us as a pop-punk band. It is true that we have grown into something more. But the rock genre is faltering, I cannot deny that and I sometimes think I will not get the same joy from an Eilidh record as I will from a Reported Failure record, as much as I admire and adore that girl and her music.

So have you given much thought about what is next?

Amy: Again, we don't look too far ahead. Of course we'll tour this album and then after that? Who knows.

Adam: I'm hoping to open a candy store in Los Angeles. I'm a man of the people.

Jason: I don't think you can ever know. I'm confident that any downtime I get will be spent away from the business for a while at least.

The brand new album "Young Cardinals" is expected to be released later this summer with a world tour likely to be confirmed soon. The latest single from that album "Pop Culture x Hungry Vulture" is available worldwide now.
thanks 5 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
JohnnyBBB on 15/05/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 15/05/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 15/05/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 16/05/2017(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 16/05/2017(UTC)