logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 21 July 2017 03:26:27(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Single: Stay Away From The Water ft. Dominic Brown
Artist: Coke
Label: Studio60 Records, Dahlhouse Entertainment
Release Date: July 20th, 2017
Genre: R&B, Latin Rock
Written by: Airemese Smith
Produced by: FancyN
Length: 3:35

Stay Away From The Water is a song recorded by Canadian singer-songwriter Coke featuring guest vocals from R&B singer Dominic Brown. The song serves as the follow up single to her top 5 hit, Now You See Me. Seeking to impact radio on July 21st, 2017 by Studio60 Records with additional promotion by Dahlhouse Entertainment, it comes just days after Coke confirmed the completion of her sophomore album, GOLD. Written solely by Airemese Smith, the production is handled by FancyN. Stay Away From The Water is a mid-tempo Latin-inspired song, consisting of Latin percussion, acoustic guitar lines and riffs that are heavily sampled from the 1999 hit single "Maria Maria" by American Latin rock band Santana. Serving a much more urban R&B sound than she ever has in a solo song, she trades her alternative sound for a sultry Dominic Brown appearance, the catchy single featuring deep sexy voices from both singers as sing-rap their way through the sinister song. Lyrically, Coke and Dominic Brown persuades someone under the influence to join them on the beach shore, in hopes that they'll drown and kill them.

On April 30th, news broke of arrests made at a Japanese airport involving Coke and Aikya Balan. Their personal assistants were found guilty of attempting to smuggle drugs into the strict country, trying to sneak in 2 full bottles of Adderrall with Coke's prescribed Lithium medication for her bipolar disorder. Despite the fact that only then assistants were found guilty after airport security conducted a private investigation, the media blamed Coke and began spreading rumors of an alleged pill addiction, a theory courtesy of "anonymous sources". Coke didn't even take the time out to deny such ridiculous tabloid gossip, her team refusing to comment on the situation at all. Stay Away From the water draws inspiration from the groundless controversy, mocking all speculation that questions if Coke is a functioning drug addict without actually dismissing the conversation. Whilst writing the song, the singer definitely did her research, using popular songs about bad trips as reference for the song's lyrics. The two tracks that had the biggest impact on the song include the iconic song often thought of as an ode to LSD, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by The Beatles (which is referenced in the song) and also Jody Reynolds' all time classic, "Endless Sleep", the song that inspired Coke to personify herself as the sea, something she hadn't thought of on earlier demos of the song. Dominic Brown didn't become apart of the process until after the song was written, the two had plans to collaborate but they didn't come to fruition until Coke showed Dominic Brown the track.

Stay Away From The Water is a mid-tempo Latin-inspired song, that consists of Latin percussion and "slinky acoustic guitar lines. Written in the key of C minor, it has a tempo of 96-100 beats per minute in compound quadruple time. The song follows a chord progression of Cm–Fm–Cm, and Coke's and Dominic's vocals spanning from C4 to G5. Billboard editor Andrew Unterberger noted that the track has "a catchy groove" to it, deeming it a sure-fire hit. Okoth-Obbo described the lyrics as straddling the line between "suicidal and carnally amusing", the lyrics that advertise suicide as reckless fun accidentally giving the song a second meaning. He went on to praise both singers' controlled delivery, as well as implied that if it wasn't for the story behind it, the song could be taken in many different ways by listeners.

Coke
Dominic Brown
Both

Let's make it something worth resenting
That rabbit hole has gotta be your favorite clinic
That's my kinda prison, oh yes
It's your birthday but your mind's still pending
Get your licks in, the situation's real sticky
It gets tricky down by the bay
That pill can carry you away
But can it carry all of your deadweight?

Give me all you got
Or give it all you got not tuh
Give me all you got
All in, ain't talking poker
If you're not
Stay away from the wa-ta-ta-tuh

Let's make it something worth regretting
Ima end ya but it's better if you let me
Lightweight rolling heavy, aint the first
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and the matching fur
Today's the perfect day to splurge, get it how you living
Step a little closer, baby, how ya feeling?
My shore's a little cold but my hold is warmer
I'm not what you think, are you shy with transformers or are you Shia with Transformers?

Give me all you got
Give me all you got
If you're not

Stay away from me
Nothing's what it seems
The secret you can't keep
An astral projection of what you feel down deep
My waves crash
You get a little dizzy
Your world is spinning
Your world is spinning

Let's make it something worth repenting
Can't live a life without facing consequences
Karma's a bitch but girl, I'm relentless
High's right, stronger than the wind is
That's how you lose all direction, you should just take directions from me
Before you come down, come on down by the beach
Now you see me, the situation's real sticky
(real sticky)
It gets tricky down by the bay

Give me all you got
Or give it all you got to walk away
You wanna know my aim, I shouldn't even have to say

Connect the dots, no polka!

Give me all you got
Give me all you got
If you're not

All you got
Give me all you got

Or stay away from the fucking water!
thanks 9 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
erich hess on 21/07/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/07/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/07/2017(UTC), mebeme101 on 21/07/2017(UTC), Princess_Valentine2.0 on 21/07/2017(UTC), BrownSugar on 21/07/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 21/07/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 22/07/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 23/07/2017(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 21 July 2017 03:40:05(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18005 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erich: i fully think coke is a functioning drug addict. i mean rum gets me to guest on a song...but coke doesnt want me on this song? not only could i have guested,but given coke and dom some acid that would change their lives forever. honestly,i dont really know coke all that well,but i do dig this song. fantastic imagery . i think i will go and drop some acid right now in honor of this.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
kandii on 21/07/2017(UTC)
Offline mebeme101  
#3 Posted : 21 July 2017 09:48:09(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Carmen: Really feeling this song the production is lit the lyrics as usual are great I'm honestly ready for this album to drop gonna have this on repeat until then like nobody's business tho great job from both of you
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
kandii on 21/07/2017(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2017 05:24:00(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erich: i fully think coke is a functioning drug addict. i mean rum gets me to guest on a song...but coke doesnt want me on this song? not only could i have guested,but given coke and dom some acid that would change their lives forever. honestly,i dont really know coke all that well,but i do dig this song. fantastic imagery . i think i will go and drop some acid right now in honor of this.

Coke: ...2+2 = gonorrhea, Erich. But is this offer still good? I made a song with Dominic and acid but I've never been in the same room with either. It's a crime tbh :/

Online BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 01 August 2017 06:47:14(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19291 time(s) in 7677 post(s)
Bilal: "Get your licks in, the situation's real sticky" < I am already sold on the song. Album pre-ordered. Room kitted out in Coke posters. Seriously, who doesn't love a song about drowning and killing an unsuspecting victim under the influence? Definitely different from all the other songs out there. The fact that it bops and can be played on top 40 radio while the lyrics promote something so sinister is genius. Bilal is impressed ;)
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 2 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 01/08/2017(UTC), kandii on 01/08/2017(UTC)