logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2020 08:35:46(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19291 time(s) in 7677 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist(s): Deneil
Title: Whistlin'
Genre(s): Grime, Funk Carioca, Hip Hop
Length: 3:47
Writer: D.Khan
Producer: Deneil
Label: Independent
From The Album: E2

Whistlin' is a song by British-Pakistani rapper and producer, Deneil. The song was released worldwide on April 10th 2020 and serves as the new leading single from Deneil's forthcoming debut album, E2. "Whistlin'" is the first release from Deneil as a leading artist since 2016's "Take Aim", a #1 collaboration with his elder brother Billy. The release of E2 was postponed indefinitely following a slew of personal traumas and strenuous circumstances for the rapper. "Whistlin'" is a brand new 2020 recording for the album after Khan scrapped the majority of the original project. Still rooted in Grime, "Whistlin'" is an evolution of Deneil's sound, moving from a gritty tone to an upbeat pallet inspired by world music. The song has been dubbed by Khan himself as "hectic" and is inspired by genres such as baile-funk (a hip-hop style popular in Brazil), electronica, hip-hop and pop. "Whistlin'" also features a prominent airhorn and drum loop which is used throughout. The track was inspired by the multitude of hate comments Deneil received during his downtime in music, ranging from homophobic slurs to people doubting his skills and devotion to rap. Taking these on board, Deneil also realised that even in spite of the negative words thrown his way, nobody had touched his Grime throne and even during downtime, people still constantly checked on him.

Between the releases of "Take Aim" and "Whistlin'", Deneil endured a public breakup with recording artist Mandy Williams, came out as gay, entered a controversial relationship with fellow rapper Drew Westbrook and suffered a near-death experience after having his throat slit in a gang attack. Because of this, Deneil withdrew from the music scene to focus on recovering and putting his personal life back together after a whirlwind of chaos. Khan eventually returned to the studio secretly in late 2019, slowly working on new solo material. During the interim, he had worked quietly behind the scenes, producing for other artists and taking guest vocalist spots. Following his return, Khan decided to branch out with his music and dabble in multiple other genres. He looked to his roots and several different countries and their spins on hip-hop and rap music to create a more "international" sound. This is also the first song in which Deneil references his sexuality, something which he previously struggled with.

Deneil wrote:
"Although "Whistlin'" is really upbeat with the chorus and the horns and shit, it took a lot for me to record. It was the first track I had written for myself in ages. It was surreal being in the booth, fam. Proudly saying that Drew is my king, a few gay jokes and lines in there and then to produce it with sounds that aren't British or American...it was the song that was always in me. The track that I HAD to make. Being a mixed race queer guy, it was important to incorporate all these things and service them to mainstream. No, I'm not rapping about fit girls. No, I'm not using the trap beats that these White guys jack. This is a song that, as catchy as it is, probably won't resonate with your average Joe. It'll probably tank because it's "foreign" in sound and talks about queer shit. The masses don't like that but I don't give a shit, bruv. It's my life. It's my track and I think it's fucking sick."

"It was important to come back with a statement. Yeah, it's a personal one but if you gloss over some of the obvious lyrics, it's a song about keeping your head held high and knowing your worth. I hope that's something everyone can take from the track. I've overcome some shit in the last few years. You can too. You're fucking brilliant. Haters just age like milk, fam."

"At first I was a little on edge about going ahead with this track. A little bit of the fear of the unknown but mostly, how people would interpret it. The overall sound is jolly as fuck despite the harsher undertones in some of the lyrics. I didn't want people to think that coming out and all the negativity I endured was something I took lightly. Remember, this song was like three/four years in the making. Took a lot to get here. Also, I didn't want it to seem like I was rubbing Mandy's face in anything. I stayed as quiet as possible for a long time and she has too. Although, obviously, we aren't on the best of terms after all the shit I put her through but there has been a mutual respect there. She knows things have been tough for me and I know that she really picked the short straw in this. However, there comes a time where you just need to embrace and own things. I spent a few years feeling like shit over who I am but now is the time to move on, start a new chapter and just feel all fresh faced about everything. Keep on whistlin', fam."

Critical reception of the song has been mainly positive with many contemporary critics the raw themes of homophobia and being mixed race within the industry as well as the evolution of Deneil's sound, highlighting the strong production and catchy chorus. Emma Shapiro from Spin appreciated the single's fusion of "grime fierceness, hip-hop bass, funk rhythm and punk-like brashness" before dubbing it as a "total oddball of a song". Andy Summers, writing for Yahoo! Music, praised the song and called Deneil's approach "scattergun" but said, "Although the song does sound like Deneil has taken all of his ideas and thrown them all into a blender at once, it works. It is a mammoth of a song that smacks you around the head and ticks all the boxes. Wonderful lyricism, insanely catchy hook, wild instrumental segments, an introduction into the summer soundscape of 2020 and, more importantly, sounding fresh and unique". Rolling Stone writer Karen Moore found "Whistlin'" to be "bizarre, playful, unclassifiable, sexy and brilliantly addictive". In his review for The Guardian, Derek Harper expressed that "On first listen, you may think that this is not Deneil's finest hour. With the blaring horns, repetitive chorus and unconventional structure, you'd be right in thinking that this is a hot mess. However, patience is needed as the song reveals its beauty with each listen."

Whistlin'

You can try to stereotype it
You can go on and gripe about it
You can tell them not to hype it
But Dora's gonna tell ya not to swipe it
'Cause I know you're yearning to rewrite it

[Instrumental Break]

They talkin ish and the wee wee from Paris to Japan
Ichi ni san shi, count my numbers like they stan
Try to knock me off but yet, here I still stand
Really knock me off, your pen was snatched from my hand
Used to let it faze me, now it couldn't be breezier
Got a handle on this ride, their trunks' bust up in the air
We like it like that, these kings aren't looking for an heir
They're playing catch-up, might put their backs out, catch a tear
Some behind bars and they still would never know one
Some swinging their bats and they'd never hit a home run
Backs against the wall am I really that fearsome?
Or you scared I'm coming for you and your alleged son?
Do you have bruises from the barge poles trynna keep you away?
I don't want what you're offering, can't deal with a bellyache
Ya God may hate me but at least in Hell, I got a special place
And even in my depths, that fire burns and I can only elevate

You can think you're justified
You can think you're ready for the fight
But first, check this new flavour in your ear
Yeah, I'm Mike Tyson up in here
You still ready for my bite?

Yeah, I got that
Pep in my step and I keep on whistlin'

[Instrumental Break]

It's always hide and seek like they're some amateur sleuth
It's always big talk but they never bring it to the booth
They stink it up and crumble, spit them out, rotten tooth
Claiming that they're God but never speak his honest truth
Speaking ill of my name but doing it with my cadence
I'm waiting on something new, starting to lose my patience
The playing fields are starting to look a little spacious
You all just on lock down, playing safe in your basements?
Really boil your blood for a guy who's seen so many snubs
South Asia representing, I could never wrap it up
I know my place, know it's safe, don't mind cleaning up
You're still playing it safe, still on a practice run
Wade through bottles but won't catch my lightning
Scroll through my feed, terrified of liking
Asking to be schooled, here's a free lesson in rhyming
Oh and thanks for streaming, hope you found it enlightening

You can think you're justified
You can think you're ready for the fight
But first, check this new flavour in your ear
Yeah, I'm Mike Tyson up in here
You still ready for my bite?

[Instrumental Break]

Yeah, I got that

I work hard in silence
Whistle while I work
I work hard in silence
Whistle while I work
I work hard in silence
Whistle while I work

Yeah, I got that

Yeah, I got that

[Instrumental Break]

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 8 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
erich hess on 11/04/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 11/04/2020(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 11/04/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 11/04/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 15/04/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 28/04/2020(UTC), 2001clay on 29/04/2020(UTC), FiveT on 29/04/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2020 17:06:19(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8682 time(s) in 2724 post(s)
Kara: Yo, I'm vibing to this Deneil, I've been a fan for a little while now and it's great to hear some new stuff from you. That second verse in particular is one of the strongest lyrical content that I've heard for some time. Great work!
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 14/04/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#3 Posted : 28 April 2020 01:43:53(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19291 time(s) in 7677 post(s)
Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Kara: Yo, I'm vibing to this Deneil, I've been a fan for a little while now and it's great to hear some new stuff from you. That second verse in particular is one of the strongest lyrical content that I've heard for some time. Great work!

Deneil: Karaaaaaa! Cheers, fam! Glad you like my words. Had a lot pent up inside of me for long enuffff. Settin it all free in the booth. More smashes to come ;)
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2020 04:04:06(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

Daniel: This is my type of music! Love it love it love it!

OOC: Love the song choice! MIA is one of my faves <3
thanks 1 user thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 29/04/2020(UTC)