logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 06 August 2020 07:59:28(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19291 time(s) in 7677 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Billy
Title: Gemini
Genre(s): R&B
Length: 3:01
Writers: B.Holmes
Producer: Billy
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: Tarantula

Gemini is a song by British singer-songwriter Bilal Khan-Holmes, known mononymously as Billy, released as the second single from his upcoming debut studio album, "Tarantula". The song was released on August 5, 2020, with no prior warning to its official premiere. The track was originally announced alongside its artwork in May 2020 but no release date was given at the time. Holmes decided to delay its release to refine elements of the production while also recording new material for the album. "Gemini" follows on from his debut single, "Attention", which topped the charts and became one of the biggest-selling songs of the year. The single departs from the electro-pop of its predecessor, opting for a more subdued sound, rooting itself in R&B. "Gemini" is the first song released by Billy to be entirely written, produced and sung by himself.

Writing & Production

Lyrically, the song sees Billy reassuring his lover that despite his wild side and how others portray him, there is a softer, more "human" side and that nobody can offer quite like what Billy has. He uses his star sign of Gemini, as a way of describing the duality of his personality - showcasing that there is much more to him than what is written in the media. He also uses it to symbolise the highs and lows of love and life as well as an innuendo for being "versatile" in bed - his two sides being both "top" and "bottom".

Sonically, "Gemini" is a "slow jam" R&B track with very delicate and subtle electronic flavours underlying the smooth, throwback beats. Holmes cites "Janet Jackson deep cuts" as the inspiration behind the track, utilising soft vocals, subdued production, sensual lyrics and an overall very 1990's R&B soundscape. The only element similar to its uptempo predecessor, "Attention", is Billy's voice. While known for his belting vocals within Weekend, as a solo act, Billy has thus far shown much calmer, refined and deeply textured vocal deliveries. Holmes uses his lower register for the majority of the track, something which he has very rarely tapped into before. All backing vocals on "Gemini" are also that of Holmes, thus harmonising with himself and showing great creativity and versatility with his voice.

Background & Release

The track was written in late 2019 during the roll-out of Weekend's third studio album, "Welcome to the Real World". Holmes had been planning on releasing a solo album for quite some time but had always put his plans off in order to focus on the band. After the February release of "Attention", "Gemini" was announced in May but no official release date was given and Holmes never discussed the track for several months. On August 5, 2020, after his exclusive ELLE Magazine interview was announced, Billy released "Gemini" with no warning.

Billy wrote:
"Gemini just had to be the second single. I know it's not as commercial as "Attention" or anything I've been on, really. UK radio really don't fuck with R&B unless it's a horrid, bastardised version of it. I'm fully prepared for this to be my first ever release to miss the top 10 entirely but it's fine, I love the song and I believe it's still the right decision. It was the perfect choice in my opinion because it showcased the vibes of the album, alongside "Attention". They're both bookends - the catchy, big beat stuff and the slower, more old school vibes. They give the listeners tasters of the strongest flavours while also not being too much of shock. Both songs have a common thread - me. They're both about my persona but "Attention" was a cocky, caricature version, while "Gemini" is much softer - talking about real love, what I'm truly like."

"Artists like Janet, Aaliyah and Brandy are huge influences for me. I grew up on that stuff. I was lucky to live through such a raw, innovative and iconic time for the R&B genre. To me, that's the type of music that speaks to my soul. Before I made the decision to create this album, before even joining Weekend, I always said to myself that if I were to EVER create music, those are the artists I would aspire and pay homage to. There's something so beautiful and simple yet deeply emotive and intricate about a lot of R&B tracks from back in the day. For "Gemini", I wanted to play into that - simple in theory but stacked in execution. It started with a very basic loop on a piano, setting out the base for the melody. Each time I revisited the song, I'd add something new over that foundation, whether it was a light synth following the chords, a bass-booted version layered over it and turned down in the mix, whatever. Same with the vocals; different scales within the harmony, placing them over certain parts, isolating specific lines. So much work went into it but because every aspect of it is so chilled, it doesn't sound as if it's covered in bells and whistles. It's simple in its play through, which is just what I wanted."

Critical Reception

"Gemini" received positive reviews upon release, with many critics praising Billy's vocals and decision to lean into the R&B genre. Muffy Levine from NME gave the track a glowing review. "It's currently 2 for 2 as Billy delivers "Gemini", the sleek second cut from his upcoming album," he opined before continuing with; "Billy is using his greatest instrument - his voice. He sounds like hot, sweet caramel, just drizzling all kinds of sugar over the sensual track while simultaneously warming the listeners up with his rich, lower register which is a much welcomed surprise." Paul Stein, writing for Exclaim!, also highlighted Holmes' vocal delivery, saying; "Billy has often been regarded as one of the best vocalists in Weekend but "Gemini" solidifies the fact that it's not just his belting and R&B inspired tones against the rock/pop edge of the others that make him stand out. Billy has a throat designed by angels. His layered self-harmonising, rarely-showcases gravelly lower register and his impeccable emotive ways make for one big sonic hug." Clash editor John Murphy lauded the song, calling it "outstanding". He then went on to praise the decision to service the track as a single, writing; "Billy is doing everything right with his solo gig thus far. "Attention" was the perfect breakout moment; appealing to the radio, the pop heads, those looking for a new megastar and the lyrical content also appeased those on the internet who fawn over Billy's wild personality. "Gemini", however, tends to the needs of those who yearned for years to hear Billy on a straight up R&B joint. His voice has always lent itself well to the genre and he's made no bones about who his biggest inspirations are, even if it is the controversial Jackson family. Believe it or not, Billy is incredibly self aware and seems to have all bases covered."

"GEMINI"

I don't go looking for trouble
That trouble comes looking for me
Didn't mean to burst any bubbles
But it's hard to keep it squeaky clean
I can bring it on the double
Pretty sure you know what I mean

Not picture perfect, not a refined edit
Too good to cut it, it's the full-blown explicit
Not conventional but I don't care what others do
'Cause nobody's gonna love you like I wanna love you

Back and forth, flip it, got so many sides
Yeah, you ever fucked around with a Gemini?
Too many problems and I can be the antidote
So versatile but some can't swallow it whole
Take the rough with the smooth
Take the gold with the blues
Take you to the warm paradise deep inside
More beneath the surface when you love a Gemini
This love hits different
This love hits different

They say that "chaos" is my middle name
So infamous, I bet you already know
Yeah, I can tear it up like a hurricane
Know that this heart isn't made of stone
Love should be more pleasure than pain
Freaky if you want it, tender if you don't

Not picture perfect, not a refined edit
Too good to cut it, it's the full-blown explicit
Not conventional but I don't care what others do
'Cause nobody's gonna love you like I wanna love you

This love hits different
This love hits different

Not everyone gets it
Not everyone can handle it
Not everyone can digest it
Not everyone understands it
Not everyone deserves it
Man, you fucking deserve this

This love hits different
This love hits different

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 14 August 2020 04:07:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 11 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 06/08/2020(UTC), erich hess on 06/08/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 06/08/2020(UTC), snap_itshannah on 06/08/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 06/08/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 06/08/2020(UTC), FiveT on 09/08/2020(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 14/08/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 15/08/2020(UTC), Atonic Records on 15/08/2020(UTC), Welat65 on 19/08/2020(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2020 08:19:11(UTC)
2001clay

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3575 time(s) in 1281 post(s)
Sally Parkwood: Wow i love this song mate. For those UK Radio who said they don't play R&B then they need to take a listen to Gemini carefully cause this tell a story cause i'm really fan of R&B & i enjoy listen to R&B

OCC: Great Job cause to be honest i'm a huge fan of brandy & thank goodness you use that sound & i enjoy B7 Album

Edited by user 06 August 2020 08:20:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 06/08/2020(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#3 Posted : 06 August 2020 11:16:08(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: Oh...my god. This is IT! The rollout, the twitter post, the artwork, the lyrics, the description. I am shooketh. Honestly one of my favorite single roleplays from you because it honestly came at the perfect time and your RP quality never fails to amaze me. The “ Not picture perfect, not a refined edit, Too good to cut it, it's the full-blown explicit” is SO Billy. I love how each of the Weekend boys have their own distinct sound but still blend so well together when they are together. Always laying the groundwork sis! :P

Great RP as usual and I cannot wait for Billy’s album!!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
Offline RadioVine  
#4 Posted : 06 August 2020 11:52:46(UTC)
RadioVine

Was thanked: 1064 time(s) in 342 post(s)
RadioVine: Oh Billy Boy, how much I just fucking adore that song! See I like that you are a very read Between the lines ole queen but darlin this is perfect for my overstretched stockings I’m going to wear when I’m ready for that special lunic.
UserPostedImage

PRE SAVE NOW!

thanks 1 user thanked RadioVine for this useful post.
Offline erich hess  
#5 Posted : 06 August 2020 11:57:50(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18003 time(s) in 10469 post(s)
Mariko: Billy is saying he'll run over your dog,throw a brick through your window and leave a mint on your pillow, because lol Gemini.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 2 users thanked erich hess for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 06/08/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 07/08/2020(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#6 Posted : 07 August 2020 23:23:06(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
OOC: You'll have to forgive me because I can't remember if Serenity and Billy are on good terms or not lmao.

Serenity: Okay so as a HUGE believer in astrology and loyal follower of horoscopes, I'm always ready to share my input on anything related to it. So, you are really the textbook definition of a Gemini, which I love because we are completely compatible with my personality, which is why I can so relate to this song because I am almost exactly the same way but a little more critical of myself. But anyway, this song is really good and a really spot on representation of you, I think from what I know.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 08/08/2020(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#7 Posted : 07 August 2020 23:51:16(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6113 time(s) in 2662 post(s)
Chris: And people wonder why I stan Billy. This song is great and came out with merch too. I personally got a shirt where he was sitting on the couch freeballing it but hey family-friendly content is neat too. Now I need to go tease my boyfriend and get him hot and bothered while singing this song.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 08/08/2020(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#8 Posted : 15 August 2020 15:48:46(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8682 time(s) in 2724 post(s)
Madison: Nah, this is fucking it. This is the one. I think you know how to play the game as good as any when it comes to build-up and promo and all that other stuff, but especially when you've got this level of work waiting to be unleashed, well I can't imagine how hyped you must be feeling. This track is the god damn anthem, lyrically it's perfection and musically it's just smooth as fuck. You've already built the hype and anticipation for this next album to such high levels, but we all know it's gonna live up to it, 100%. Just absolutely killed it in one single release!

OOC: Everything about this is perfection, lyrically the track alone is on a different level, artwork is so insanely professional and you just know that the work you've put into the album for this is gonna be on the same level. Perfect as always! :)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 16/08/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#9 Posted : 28 August 2020 03:56:52(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Sally Parkwood: Wow i love this song mate. For those UK Radio who said they don't play R&B then they need to take a listen to Gemini carefully cause this tell a story cause i'm really fan of R&B & i enjoy listen to R&B

OCC: Great Job cause to be honest i'm a huge fan of brandy & thank goodness you use that sound & i enjoy B7 Album

Billy: Thanks Sally. Really happy this song has been a success, especially back home in the UK. Very proud to be pushing real R&B onto the radio stations there.

OOC: Thank you! And yeah, I'm a huge fan too. Her discography has definitely influenced me/Billy

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Oh...my god. This is IT! The rollout, the twitter post, the artwork, the lyrics, the description. I am shooketh. Honestly one of my favorite single roleplays from you because it honestly came at the perfect time and your RP quality never fails to amaze me. The “ Not picture perfect, not a refined edit, Too good to cut it, it's the full-blown explicit” is SO Billy. I love how each of the Weekend boys have their own distinct sound but still blend so well together when they are together. Always laying the groundwork sis! :P

Great RP as usual and I cannot wait for Billy’s album!!

OOC: Thank you so much! Yeah, Billy's record has been a long time coming. He's one of my favourites and is so well-established yet doesn't even have an album to his name yet lol. I know him inside and out so it's easy to write from his perspective and also use sounds that influenced him while growing up. Thank you for all the lovely compliments. So happy you enjoyed the release. Hope you like what's to come :)
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 28/08/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#10 Posted : 28 August 2020 04:04:06(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RadioVine Go to Quoted Post
RadioVine: Oh Billy Boy, how much I just fucking adore that song! See I like that you are a very read Between the lines ole queen but darlin this is perfect for my overstretched stockings I’m going to wear when I’m ready for that special lunic.

Billy: See, my music has mass appeal. Caters to the R&B lovers, those who love storytelling, people who want a song to fuck to and it's also relatable to those who are slightly unhinged.

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Mariko: Billy is saying he'll run over your dog,throw a brick through your window and leave a mint on your pillow, because lol Gemini.

Billy: In a nutshell. Although that mint may be laced with something nasty. I'm not one for nice gestures.

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
OOC: You'll have to forgive me because I can't remember if Serenity and Billy are on good terms or not lmao.

Serenity: Okay so as a HUGE believer in astrology and loyal follower of horoscopes, I'm always ready to share my input on anything related to it. So, you are really the textbook definition of a Gemini, which I love because we are completely compatible with my personality, which is why I can so relate to this song because I am almost exactly the same way but a little more critical of myself. But anyway, this song is really good and a really spot on representation of you, I think from what I know.

OOC: I don't blame you. I don't even know. Early 2010's Billy was built different. I think he had beef with everyone.

Billy: I don't know much about it other than what I read about my own. Narcissistic and self involved that way. Don't know all the science behind it but I know that I'm a textbook Gemini like you said. From the path of my life to my love life to my personality, there's always been a strong duality there. Just HAD to incorporate it into my music. This album is very personal. Me in a record. Really glad you enjoy this.
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 28/08/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#11 Posted : 28 August 2020 04:14:33(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Chris: And people wonder why I stan Billy. This song is great and came out with merch too. I personally got a shirt where he was sitting on the couch freeballing it but hey family-friendly content is neat too. Now I need to go tease my boyfriend and get him hot and bothered while singing this song.

Billy: If you get fucked by or fuck your boyfriend (because we're all about versatility in Gemini Land) to my song, I'll feel so proud and accomplished. Forget the #1. I want people to get freaky to my stuff more than anything.

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Madison: Nah, this is fucking it. This is the one. I think you know how to play the game as good as any when it comes to build-up and promo and all that other stuff, but especially when you've got this level of work waiting to be unleashed, well I can't imagine how hyped you must be feeling. This track is the god damn anthem, lyrically it's perfection and musically it's just smooth as fuck. You've already built the hype and anticipation for this next album to such high levels, but we all know it's gonna live up to it, 100%. Just absolutely killed it in one single release!

OOC: Everything about this is perfection, lyrically the track alone is on a different level, artwork is so insanely professional and you just know that the work you've put into the album for this is gonna be on the same level. Perfect as always! :)

Billy: Well, thank you! I've been in the game for almost a decade now - just watching and waiting. I know how to work this ;) haha. Thank you for all the lovely compliments. This album has been a long time coming. Even before Weekend or even realising that it was possible for me to pursue a music career, I always dreamed of releasing an album. I'd tell my stories and I'd turn to my idols for inspiration. That record I've been dreaming up since I was a kid has now come to fruition. It's bizarre as fuck. Even crazier seeing the response and knowing that people love it. Thank you for the support, Maddie. Means the world to me.

OOC: Thank you sooooo much! I put a lot of thought into my material but tenfold when it comes to the Weekend members. They're my babies. I love writing as them and now that Billy is doing solo music, I get to expand on him even further, almost 10 years after creating him. I'm so happy you like it and can't wait to share the album :)
UserPostedImage