logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 15 September 2020 23:44:07(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19291 time(s) in 7677 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Ellie-Grace Summers
Title: MANTRA
Genre(s): Country, Pop
Length: 46:29
Writers: EG. Summers, C. Hudson, B. Holmes
Producers: Ellie-Grace Summers, Preeti, LosOscuros, Daniel Tashian, Roseline Meadows
Format(s): CD, Digital Download, Streaming, Vinyl
Label: Studio 60 Records
Singles Released: Call On Me (Peak: #1), Monday's Love (Peak: #4), Figure It Out (Peak: #2)

MANTRA is the third studio album, fourth overall, by American singer-songwriter Ellie-Grace Summers. It is due for release in September 2020, through Summers' long-time label, Studio 60 Records. Work began on the project as early as 2016 though the record was plagued with delays on account of the "uncertain" future of Studio 60 Records at the time which saw an array of artists unable to officially release music due to distribution issues. Though primarily a country record like her previous efforts, MANTRA incorporates elements of other genres such as Disco, Pop and Rock. Summers has described the sonics of the album as having a "Country Girl heart with a Big City Girl flare". The album was executive-produced by Ellie-Grace with additional work from LosOscuros, Preeti, Daniel Tashian and Roseline Meadows.

Originally planned for a 2017 release; Ellie-Grace set out to create an "extremely personal and intimate" record which would see many quotes and phrases used by her and her family members intertwined throughout the album. The title of "MANTRA" was chosen early on in the project, a nod to the mantras and "words of wisdom" Summers' mother would impart over the years. The album also has a recurring theme of luck, gambling and charms, inspired by her now late grandfather who, in Ellie-Grace's words "[sic] would come up with little quips and phrases to downplay his gambling addiction. They were annoyingly endearing and he'd always get a free pass".

Ellie-Grace Summers wrote:
"I have always been open and honest within my music. I can't write about things that I either haven't experienced or been impacted by. My first two records were still both very personal but the ones digs even deeper. It's not just me telling my stories, I'm sharing more of my personality and stuff about my family here. It's all done very subtly, however. On the surface, the songs could be about anyone and anything. I always want my listeners to be able to relate and have the songs be just that little bit vague enough so that whoever is listening can imprint their own lives on it. The intimacy of "MANTRA" is in the little details. Certain lines are straight out of my mother or father's mouths. Phrases, quips, inside jokes that are passed around in the Summers' household that wouldn't register with anyone else because they don't know the backstory. Things like horse riding, card games, movie references - to most people, it all just sounds like metaphor and wordplay but I know that those closest to me will feel certain parts of the record so deeply because they get it. They've lived this with me."

An abundance of over 250 songs were written over the last four years for possible inclusion for the project, with over 100 actually being recorded and on standby for the final incarnation. While not initially setting out to make a concept record which follows a story line, in 2019 Ellie-Grace decided to refine the plethora of songs in her vault to creative a loose narrative for the album which sees her break away from a toxic relationship, embark on some self discovery and then find a new love.

"MANTRA was never intended to have a cohesive plot. It was certainly going to have a strong theme but not a step by step chapter of events. With over 100 songs recorded, I had touched on so many different emotions, perspectives and scenarios that it was easy for me to pick and choose a story out of it all. As these songs individually told such personal and strong stories, I thought, why not just create one big one? So from last year, most of the creative process was just perfecting the songs that suited the bill on tweaking what needed to be. It was always difficult creating possible track lists for this record. With so many songs I loved and also growing sick of playing back the same ones, tracks were constantly switched out for each other. I could never nail it, though. When I decided to make a loose story out if it, however, they just slotted in themselves and playing it through just finally made sense. For once, the MANTRA sequence felt right."

The album's lead single "Call On Me", a duet with Billy, was released in May 2019 and received critical and commercial success upon impact. The song earned Ellie-Grace her second #1 single and was met with strong praise in regards to its uptempo, disco-country crossover production as well as the chemistry between Summers and Holmes. It wouldn't be until 10 months later that the second single would be released. "Monday's Love" was sent to radio in March 2020 and also received unanimous praise for its lyrical content and "fresh", "creative" production but fared slightly less well than the previous single, peaking at #4 in the spring. "Figure It Out" was released on September 14th 2020 as the third single, a day before the pre-order for MANTRA went live.

- T R A C K L I S T -

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 02 November 2020 13:27:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 9 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 16/09/2020(UTC), erich hess on 16/09/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 16/09/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 16/09/2020(UTC), FiveT on 16/09/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 17/09/2020(UTC), Welat65 on 19/09/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 23/09/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 27/05/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2020 00:37:55(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: MANTRA (Intro)
Genre(s): Spoken Word
Length: 1:01
Writers: EG. Summers
Producer: EG. Summers
From The Album: MANTRA

MANTRA is a spoken word piece recorded by American singer-songwriter, Ellie-Grace Summers. It serves as the opening track and intro to Summers' third studio album of the same name. The one-minute, one-second monologue was recorded by Summers back in 2017 and was always pencilled to be the opening track on the record. "MANTRA" sets the tone and embodies the journey of the album which reflects on the personal themes of family sayings and the story arc of confidence, knowing your worth and deserving better. This introduction shows Ellie-Grace explore the power of words, encouraging her listeners to put positive thoughts into the universe and listening off affirmations and mantras to create love and happiness, before leading into the next track "Monday's Love".

MANTRA

We often forget the power that words have.
Sometimes it's unintentional, other times we purposely dismiss them -
Whether out of sheer ignorance or self-preservation.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me".
We all know that isn't true.
Words cut deep.
But words can also open up minds.
Words can shift perceptions.
Words can shape beliefs.
Words drive our behavior.
Words have power.
Words shape our world.
We are our words.
We shouldn't have to hang around and wait for someone else to speak up -
To reassure us, to validate us, to uplift us.
We have an abundance of these tools we can use to lift our minds and energy.
Words have power - choose them wisely.

"I love myself, no matter what."
"I am an infinite being, capable of extraordinary things."
"I am thankful."
"I accept abundant love, happiness, and positive energy into my life."
"I am not a drop in the ocean. I am the entire ocean in one drop."
"I am."
"I'm not just Monday's Love..."

Edited by user 16 September 2020 00:47:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

thanks 10 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 16/09/2020(UTC), erich hess on 16/09/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 16/09/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 16/09/2020(UTC), FiveT on 16/09/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 17/09/2020(UTC), Welat65 on 19/09/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 23/09/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 11/10/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 27/05/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#3 Posted : 16 September 2020 00:50:26(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Artist(s): Ellie-Grace Summers
Title: Monday's Love
Genre(s): Country, Pop, Disco
Length: 3:33
Writer: E.G Summers
Producer: Daniel Tashian, Ellie-Grace Summers
Label: Studio 60

Monday's Love is a song by American singer-songwriter Ellie-Grace Summers. The song was released worldwide on March 2nd 2020 and serves as the second single from Summers' long-awaited third studio album, MANTRA. It also serves as the second song on the track list. The single release followed 10 months on from the release of "Call On Me" which featured Billy on account of many financial issues at Summers' record label, Studio 60. Production of the song was handled by Daniel Tashian and Summers. It was also written entirely by Ellie-Grace. The song sees Ellie-Grace progress from her typical country music roots, incorporating elements of disco and dance music into the single. "Monday's Love" has been noted for its retro disco styling and its fusion with classic country music. The song details a relationship which is very one sided. Summers knows her partner is either seeing other women or is simply not as invested in the relationship as she is but, rather than let it go, her need to feel wanted keeps her there.

The song was written in 2017 with a more acoustic and ballad like structure originally. With Ellie-Grace and many artists on the Studio 60 roster not being able to officially release music due to financial trouble at the label, the track remained unreleased for almost three full years. Over that time, Summers re-recorded "Monday's Love" several times over, growing to love the song as a personal favourite and wanting to bring it to its full potential. "Monday's Love" went on to become a disco song which incorporates elements of country instrumentation and layered vocals. Summers felt that the song had two sides to it; "the rush and naivety" and "the underlying sadness". The official version would go on to represent the former while Summers plans on also releasing a "rawer" acoustic version in the future which captures the heartbreak.

MONDAY'S LOVE

Just a girl who wants to be madly in love
Does anyone think that it's a crime?
Always the same games, I've had about enough
False starts and foul play all the time
Bouquets and chocolate boxes just to keep me sweet
Hollow words and cliche lines I know he doesn't mean
If I was smart, I'd concede and give it up
But I like to pretend that something is mine

So I give him what he wants
He can have my days and nights
Roam corners of my mind to haunt
He can take and waste my time
And I play it all off so nonchalant
But I hope he'll stay in my arms tonight

And off he goes in his old pick-up truck
It's Tuesday morning and I'm just Monday's love
Will another girl soon be screaming his name?
Will he treat her in the very same way?
Treat him like he's mine but I know it's up for debate
Sure he has many more hearts to go break
I wait and hope that when push comes to shove
He wants a little more of Monday's love

Said that I want to meet his friends
Feels like I'm always waiting on "later"
Love my company but he's never called me "girlfriend"
Swear this grown-up stuff looked better on paper
But it's that look in his eyes that keeps me here
Sound of his voice makes me smile from ear to ear
I just go around like a kid playing pretend
Another airy damsel waiting on her heart breaker

So I give him what he needs
Knowing I won't get much in return
Got my heart in between his teeth
Should be a cause for concern
But I'm used to letting it bleed
Yeah, I'm preparing to get burnt

Never got his hands out of the cookie jar
Got a real sweet tooth but is it going too far?
He might never want to settle down
But can I keep being played around?
Life's full of flavors and he wants a taste
He's my favorite one but I ache from the chase
Does he think of me when he's all alone?
Or is Friday's love entertaining him at home?

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 7 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 16/09/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 16/09/2020(UTC), FiveT on 16/09/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 17/09/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 23/09/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 11/10/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 27/05/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#4 Posted : 22 September 2020 11:46:07(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Giddy
Length: 3:16
Writer: E.G Summers, C. Hudson
Producer: Ellie-Grace Summers

Giddy is a song by American singer-songwriter Ellie-Grace Summers for her third studio album, MANTRA. It appears as the third track on the long-awaited record. "Giddy" was written by Ellie-Grace and Christopher Hudson in 2017, during one of their many sessions together. Production of the song was also handled entirely by Summers herself. "Giddy" is a mid-tempo country and pop crossover track, featuring uncredited soft backing harmonies from co-writer Christopher Hudson as well as a prominent banjo arrangement that pushes the country music elements to the forefront alongside Summers' thick Southern accent. The song was written as a follow-up to the story of "Monday's Love", which is placed before "Giddy" in the album's track listing. Lyrically, "Giddy", is a rather tongue-in-cheek, anecdotal break-up song. Summers has finally gained the confidence to leave her adulterous, egotistical partner in order to focus on herself and knowing that she deserves better. Fellow musician Erich Hess is referenced in the bridge of the track.

Hudson and Summers has multiple studio sessions over the span of 2017 and 2018. After successfully creating "Monday's Love", which would later go on to become a top 5 single for the singer, Ellie-Grace wanted to "continue the story" from that song and give the girl "a happy ending". She and Hudson then set out to create this follow-up in their next studio meeting, months before Ellie had decided herself that the entire album would tell a story. "Giddy" originally had more upbeat, country-disco leaning production akin to its sister song "Monday's Love", however, Summers wanted a clear differentiation from the two and also feared that due to some of the innuendo filled lyrics within "Giddy", a livelier production could make the song come across as plain comical. Summers then decided to produce the song herself, giving it a far more subdued soundscape in order to have the listener pay more attention to the biting lyricism and exasperation in her voice.

GIDDY

Trusted my heart like only the fools do
Waited it out, hoping you'd play a new tune
The same old record echoed through the room
Buck it up now, boy, buck it up now
Backwoods Casanova in your beat up jeans
Blowing your own smoke, lost in pipe dreams
Yellowing it all and I'm trying to get clean
Buck it up now, boy, buck it up now

All bravado like you're some sharpshooter
I'd love to know who even started that rumor
Though I must admit you can sure fire from the hip
In just one blink, you go off that quick

Curse you and the horse you rode in on
I'm not afraid to draw pistols at dawn
It's all cool with me, you can stick to your ploy
Go and get on out here, go on and ride 'em, cowboy
Giddy up, giddy up!
Giddy up, giddy up!

I zealously glossed all over the truth
Fingers in my ears like some stubborn youth
Painted myself pretty for a man so uncouth
Buck it up now, girl, buck it up now
Guess I was just another way to kill time
Thought I could make this outlaw mine
But this was never his only rodeo ride
Buck it up now, girl, buck it up now

And I won't miss you or the smell of your liquor
Funnily enough, I don't know which ignites quicker
You can try your luck over in the next town
Now get on out of here 'cause the word is out

Giddy up, giddy up!
Giddy up, giddy up!

Giddy up, giddy up!
Giddy up, giddy up!

I mean, yeah, I like the tattoos on your arms...
And, sure, I was dazed by your lucky charms...
But I don't want to be a casualty of your mess
Another blonde little damsel stuck in distress
All to stroke an ego already in excess
But let's face it, you ain't no Erich Hess
Swallow that pride, it might put hair on your chest
'Cause you're gonna be lonely when that sun sets

Giddy up, giddy up!
Giddy up, giddy up!

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 8 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 22/09/2020(UTC), erich hess on 22/09/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 22/09/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 23/09/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 23/09/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 23/09/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 11/10/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 27/05/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 23 September 2020 02:46:07(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Figure It Out
Length: 3:01
Writer: E.G Summers, C. Hudson
Producer: Preeti, Ellie-Grace Summers

Figure It Out is a song by American singer-songwriter Ellie-Grace Summers. The song was released worldwide on September 14th 2020 and serves as the third single and fourth track from Summers' long-awaited third studio album, MANTRA. The single follows 6 months on from the release of "Monday's Love" which became another top 5 hit for Summers in the spring. Production of the song was handled by Preeti and Ellie-Grace. "Figure It Out" was written by Ellie-Grace alongside Christopher Hudson in a 2018 creative session. Like the previous releases from MANTRA, "Figure It Out" sees Ellie-Grace incorporate "pop" sounds and melodies into her work while remaining rooted in country. "Figure It Out" has been noted for its more "traditional" styling, drawing comparisons to her earlier work, dropping the disco crossover elements heard in her last two releases for rockier, more country leaning production and delivery. The song details the struggles of being a role model and person in the spotlight while also dealing with the aftermath of a bad break-up. Summers finds herself putting on a brave face and pretending to be the strong image everyone has of her in their head while simultaneously suffering an identity crisis behind closed doors.

The song was written in 2018 with acclaimed singer-songwriter Christopher Hudson in one of the many writing sessions for the often delayed MANTRA record. With Ellie-Grace and many artists on the Studio 60 roster not being able to officially release music due to financial trouble at the label, the track remained unreleased for two years. Over that time, Summers re-worked "Figure It Out" several times over while remaining adamant that the track would appear on the album in some form or another. A personal favourite of Summers', "Figure It Out" was one of few songs never to be switched out for one of the other 100+ recordings for the MANTRA record when creating multiple incarnations of the track listing.

FIGURE IT OUT

Last they heard, I was Miss American Dream
They don't know how I cry myself to sleep
Thoughts run wild as I turn in the sheets
Struggling to count all those dirty little sheep
Real International Women of Mystery
'Cause I'm just that clueless when it comes to me

Thought I was the one with the treasure trove
But he hit the jackpot and I was the gold
Enraptured and wrapped in the webs you wove
Now it's all fell apart, don't know where to go

Don't ask, don't tell
I'm busy painting on a smile
Oh sure, it's Hell
But I can't let them see me spiral
Yeah, I'm so tired of being overestimated
This tower of strength just can't take it
But someway, somehow, I guess I'll go and figure it out
Guess I'll go and figure it out
God, help me figure it out

Flash of pearly teeth to hide the agony
You linger deep, touching nerves like a cavity
Trying to play it straight but I'm defying gravity
Head full of stars, my mind's reached capacity
Should suck it up and post about "the new me"
But I look in the mirror and wonder "who the hell is she?!"

Thought I was the one with the treasure trove
But he hit the jackpot and I was the gold
Enraptured and wrapped in the webs you wove
Now it's all fell apart, don't know where to go

Don't ask, don't tell
Oh sure, it's Hell

Am I on the right track?
Can I get there any faster?
Give me that instant grat
Tell me that magical mantra
Feel like my cards are stacked
Wrong move and comes down in disaster
One puzzle I just can't figure out

Don't ask, don't tell
Oh sure, it's Hell

Am I on the right track?
Can I get there any faster?
Give me that instant grat
Tell me that magical mantra

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 9 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
erich hess on 23/09/2020(UTC), 2001clay on 23/09/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 23/09/2020(UTC), freestylechamp on 23/09/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 23/09/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 11/10/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 27/05/2021(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 27/05/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 27/05/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#6 Posted : 27 May 2021 07:25:04(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Cold
Length: 3:59
Writers: EG.Summers
Producer: Ellie-Grace Summers

Cold is a song by American singer-songwriter Ellie-Grace Summers. The song was released worldwide on May 19th 2021 and serves as the fourth and final single from Summers' long-awaited third studio album, MANTRA. In keeping with the staggered release campaign of the album, "Cold" arrives eight months after previous single, "Figure It Out" - a #2 hit for Summers. The sporadic single releases and the constant delays of the album were finally explained by the revelation of Summers' upcoming joint album with Ryan Ross Hernandez, causing several disruptions to her solo album campaign. Due to commitments with Hernandez, Ellie-Grace revealed her plans to release "Cold" and its parent album "MANTRA" quietly in May 2021. The mid-tempo country pop song was written and produced entirely by Summers herself, with the singer branding it as an "easy write". "Cold" depicts Ellie-Grace recalling the day her lover left her without warning and how she's handling the fallout.

"This is definitely one of the most vulnerable tracks on the record and a personal favorite of mine. It wrote itself in under 30 minutes. I was feeling very Shania Twain that day, my ultimate queen. You can even hear the influence in my delivery and the production. Very inspired by her iconic 90's records. The whole process was so natural and fluid. I think the best songs really do come about that way; no scrutinising, no agenda, no pressure. The words and melody just formed off the cusp as I was going. Maybe that's reflective of a deep sadness within me? I'm not going to open that can of worms, however."

"A lot of the songs at the beginning of the album have quite a "kickass" vibe. A whole lot of "screw you" and "I don't need a man" chants going on but when we get to "Cold", a lot of that initial anger and fire has died down. The defensive walls have crumbled and I'm facing reality. Even though I do speak about the wrongdoings of this man, it's not even about pointing the finger and being mad. At the core of "Cold", it's basically me just sitting in the truth, letting it sink in, marinating in my feelings and kind of feeling a little bit sorry for myself. Throughout the song I'm questioning my own actions, asking if I deserve it and wondering if happiness truly is all down to luck. It's healthy to sit in sadness for a while. You have to feel things out as raw and heart-wrenching as they might be. You can only go so far pretending to be fine, acting cool about something before you just erupt or breakdown. Maybe a deadly combination of both."

"COLD"

Lump in my throat I keep on suppressing
Am I being taught some wicked lesson?
Something profound about God's vision?
Always coming out worse in His decisions
Falling victim to all the smoke and mirrors
Struggling downstream as others float upriver

Was it rocket science to figure out the signs?
Did I subconsciously play dumb and blind?
Starting to think that I brought it on myself
Can't sit at the table with everybody else

You were my man, my most treasured
Dressed to kill with a sense of adventure
Though we didn't need much to entertain us
Get by with just me and you, no outside players
Thought this would be the greatest love story ever told
Never imagined how this would all unfold
You held me tight, you held me close
Then one morning, you opened the door and left me cold

Could so easily break apart into little pieces
Challenge the guarantee printed on any adhesive
Maybe there's a formula or a proposed thesis;
As to why I can't keep things cohesive?
I kissed your lips and then I was kissing dust
Starting to develop a little problem with trust

Here come the opinions of the outside voices
Think I prefer sombre silence to their incessant noises
By your side no matter where the wind was blowing
Now alone in the icy world of the not-knowing

So many questions still up in the air
Yearning for the answer but still deathly scared
A call away but that's courage I just can't muster
The straw that breaks will be you blocking my number
Walking the thin line between love and hate
Desperate to slap and yet caress your face
A part of me wants all of this to get better
But then again, you went and left me bitter

You held me close, you left me cold

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 5 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
PANIC! on 27/05/2021(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 27/05/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 27/05/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 09/06/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 05/10/2021(UTC)