logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2021 07:31:30(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19291 time(s) in 7677 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist(s): Andrea, Payton
Title: How 'Bout Dat?
Genre(s): Hip House, Hip Hop
Length: 4:10
Writer: A.Mason, P.Rodriguez
Producer: Orion Washington
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: Southern Belle

How 'Bout Dat? is a song recorded by American singer and rapper Andrea, featuring guest vocals from her boyfriend and Puerto Rican rapper Payton. The song was released on January 8, 2021, marking Andrea's first release in the 2020's. It serves as the new lead single from Andrea's long-awaited, often-delayed second studio album, "Southern Belle". Previous singles; "Force", "Something For The Fire" and "BOOTS" were all critically and commercially successful, all peaking at #1 on Chart Heat Singles. The album, however, never came to fruition. The record is now pencilled in for an early 2021 release. "How 'Bout Dat?" was written by both Andrea and Payton while production was handled by Orion Washington. The track is categorised as "Hip House", a fusion of Hip Hop and House music. A Mason and Rodriguez collaboration has been hotly anticipated since the couple went public with their relationship. The song was initially conceptualised back in 2017 but was often put on the back burner and reworked, eventually being completed in 2020. Many view "How 'Bout Dat?" as a diss track written about Mason's ex-husband, Billy Khan-Holmes. Despite collaborating with the Weekend star, being signed to his label and publicly displaying a united front, many of the lyrics can apply to Khan.

The release of "How 'Bout Dat?" follows almost two years on from "BOOTS", Mason's fourth chart-topping single and third from the "Southern Belle" era. Her second studio album has been plagued by delays and been in production since late 2014. Although constantly scrapping and reworking a lot of the material, Andrea's perfectionism is not the only reason behind the series of delays. Mason has always put mothering duties first, tending to the needs of her son, Daniel, who was diagnosed with ADHD in 2017. While never speaking publicly on the issue, it is vastly speculated that focusing on her son and family life is the reasoning behind the latest delay in the project. The album has had several release dates from each year since 2015 - 2019 with Andrea no longer mentioning the project at all in 2020, leading fans to believe it had been shelved entirely. On January 7, 2021, Culture Uncut posted an article on Anniken Dahl-Smith's plans to release several delayed Dahlhouse projects this year. Mason commented in a seemingly joking manner that she would release her album if rapper and friend Rum released hers this year. Despite appearing as a gag, Andrea later took to Twitter to announce the title, artwork and release date for "How 'Bout Dat?".

The lyrical content of "How 'Bout Dat?" stirred up debates and controversy immediately upon release with many listeners believing that the song lambasted ex-husband, Billy. Mason and Khan were involved in a heavily publicised rocky relationship. The young couple married in 2012 and welcomed the birth of their son Daniel. Fiery arguments between the two often took place publicly and they inevitably divorced a year later. Since then, the singers have supposedly made amends, with Andrea remaining at Khan's label. Payton Rodriguez, Andrea's current boyfriend, has also expressed that he is on good terms with Billy and the pair often interact with one another on social media sites. Despite this, "How 'Bout Dat?", seemingly takes jabs at Billy's behaviour during his relationship with Mason. Lines like "Queen to a new king, bet you're seething at both of us" heavily suggest that she is comparing her time with Khan to Rodriguez. Despite not dropping any names, in her second verse, Andrea delivers the line; "Don't overload on ma sugar, though death would be sweet". This line has attracted most attention as not only is Billy Khan a known Type 1 diabetic, it appears as though she is wishing death upon him. Payton's guest verse, however, seems to take aim at a broader audience and sees him hype up his own skills and achievements.

ROLLING STONE REVIEW

Quote:
Andrea has always been a bit of a question mark. Just when you think you have her figured out, she throws another curveball. She has been a tragic figure and queen of comedy. She debuted as a cutesy, sweet Southern Gal and transformed in twerking, skin-flashing sex siren. Her small but mighty discography includes some of the saddest, most introspective ballads revolving around life's rawest subjects as well as the biggest baby-making bangers. Here she is again, shaking the table and seemingly taking shots at her ex-lover, one of today's biggest stars, with her new boyfriend in tow. It's another headscratcher of a move but ultimately yet another brilliant one.

"How 'Bout Dat?" marries what Andrea serves up best; biting lyricism and the slickest beats. Rap-sung, hip hop tracks filled with bravado are a dime a dozen but very few hit the nail on the head and feel as justified as HBD. While putting someone as powerful and loved as Billy on blast may not seem like the smartest move, it is one certainly deserving of an applause. Regardless of where you stand on the situation, there is no denying that Andrea has guts for going gung ho in finally addressing it after all these years. Khan and Mason's infamous explosive relationship sort of fizzled out and was pretty much swept under the rug. It may finally give the star and many of her fans closure or possibly open up old wounds but what's most important is that Andrea now finally feels liberated enough to say it all with her chest. Her confidence can be heard in her slick flow, riding the house-infused beats with such ease that it seems as if she doing it with no hands and her eyes closed. She's comfortable and knows how to navigate.

Whether or not the song actually IS about Khan and whether or not you even care about the situation, what everyone can take away from the track is the true underdog story. Andrea and Payton are two unique artists who have been continuously mocked and doubted over the years, only for them to go from strength to strength and even outlast many of their peers. Payton, who delivers some of his best bars here, is arguably the biggest rapper in the game now. He has every right to gloat and pat himself on the back for all of his achievements and to do so alongside his long-term girlfriend is the icing on the cake. Andrea and Payton have gone multiple years being hounded due to other people's ignorance and prejudices. Music snobs and keyboard warriors may have wanted them to go away but the couple have continued to work hard and stand triumphant after all this time. They deserve their flowers and on "How 'Bout Dat?" they are rightfully reminding you of that.

HOW 'BOUT DAT?

ANDREA
PAYTON

It's about to get good, time to enjoy the show
Better off the cuff, swing with my eyes closed
Let me drink about it, serve some Earl in this cup
Truth roulette, now it's time to spill my guts
Step up, you ready?
Do you think you're hard enough?

Scream it out, yeah here we go
Time to snatch back the reins and take control
Shoulda always known this chick was fluent with the vocals
I ain't another one of your cheerleaders at your field shows
Throwing all shapes, still couldn't give me an O
Went and upgraded, you always said I was a real hoe
Gone for a second just to emerge victorious
Dusting off the throne, the view up here's just glorious
Queen to a new king, bet you're seething at both of us
Lying through your teeth, all your smiles ain't deceiving
The haters and the crazies, they just can't be reasoned
They better run for cover 'cause here comes our season
Can't weather my storm, I'm back with a vengeance, see
These little motherfuckers all done tried to kill me
Belly of the beast devouring all your favorite bitches
Roles are reversed, guess it's cool you like switching

Step up, you ready?

Now tell me what ya think about that? Oh, how 'bout dat?
Tell me what ya think about that? Yeah, how 'bout dat?

First off you know what it is if you hear P speak
Make ma ho wobble like a bridge in an earthquake
Might see me out but I live in ma workplace
I give you da bizness so button ya shirt straight
Look at where I landed you wud think dat I planned it
I'm juss doin' me and ya'll cud neva understand it
Ma chick get hammered, Ima big dick bandit...
Money flowin' like a slit wrist wit no bandage

Blowin' purple clouds ninja we sky high!
And I'm only cuttin' La Familia pieces ah duh pie
Out of dis world tho, I'm so sci fi
And I don’t sit still me n' ma gurl, stay movin'
Drive by

Wuss competition? Pound fa pound dey get impounded
Like dey in a smart car, only dey get dumbfounded
Move weight, I can make a G appear like dat..
Call that your Insta-gram
Cuz I just go HAM like that!
I'm lean like kareem doin' hooks dat can go for pop
So cover me I’m goin' and buckin' when the hook drops

Step up, you ready?

Back for another round? You just don't quit!
Step into the ring, I can spare another minute
Hype talk's another mountain of scripted bullshit
Every word you spill always been counterfeit
I tried to fix you up but you wore out my toolkit
Screws too loose, it's all so very unstable
Y'all looking a little tired, come have a seat at the table
Mmmm, I'll be serving up some scolding tea
Don't overload on ma sugar, though death would be sweet
Let me lay it all out for you, let's have a feast
Imma be riding the crest of this oncoming wave
Catch me if you can but there ain't no life jackets to save
Titties a distraction while I open up your floodgates
Thirsty ass wanna suckle, you be needing to hydrate
Still wanting a piece, shame you can't get a duplicate
Pussy so good, nothing in this world could imitate
Hits are the only things I'm throwin' in your direction
Changed your name before, go speed dial witness protection
Said you created me, I'm not hitting back with a correction
Imma just break free, cut you up like c-section

Ay, let's cut to my favorite part, baby
The beat drops and I bring it all back, shake it
Quivering as I dip it and do it, crazy
Bet you didn't see this one coming!
Bet you didn't see this one coming!
The Southern Belle and Puerto Rican prince returning
How you really feel 'bout dat?

Step up, you ready?

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 7 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 09/01/2021(UTC), erich hess on 09/01/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 09/01/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 09/01/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 10/01/2021(UTC), kandii on 27/01/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 19/02/2021(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2021 07:44:46(UTC)
2001clay

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3575 time(s) in 1281 post(s)
Keshia Love: Oh Hell to the yeah this is my shit right here!!!! I Love it already you impress me girl

Milian: Andrea i really enjoying your song so much!

OCC: This has to be my favorite but tbh i'm really bad at writing rap lyric so LOL yeah.... but other than that i love it

Edited by user 09 January 2021 17:36:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 09/01/2021(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2021 11:16:43(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18003 time(s) in 10469 post(s)
Erich: aww, wouldn't you look at this. I have an ex I made a child with as well. I don't think she'll write or commission a a song about me. I must be doing something right.

Erica: oh! I thought billy, Payton, Andrea, and jerry were,you know... I guess not. go Andrea!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 09/01/2021(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2021 08:06:37(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: We ARE HERE! Yessssss! I’m so excited about this collaboration. This has been a long time coming. How long? It’s been a long freaking time since we started work on this and to see it come into fruition is so exciting. The description, lyrics and artwork are really so good here and this was a perfect release to bring Andrea back with. “Southern Belle” will slap. Thanks for having Andreas man make an appearance on this. This really enhance eachother!

Payton: who betta den us? imma wait...lml babiiigurl dis shizzz fiyahhhhhhhh🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 10/01/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2021 05:58:44(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19291 time(s) in 7677 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Keshia Love: Oh Hell to the yeah this is my shit right here!!!! I Love it already you impress me girl

Milian: Andrea i really enjoying your song so much!

OCC: This has to be my favorite but tbh i'm really bad at writing rap lyric so LOL yeah.... but other than that i love it

Andrea: thank you sexy girliessss! <3

OOC: Thank you so much! :)

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erich: aww, wouldn't you look at this. I have an ex I made a child with as well. I don't think she'll write or commission a a song about me. I must be doing something right.

Erica: oh! I thought billy, Payton, Andrea, and jerry were,you know... I guess not. go Andrea!

Andrea: sumtimes men just make u wanna say n do nasty shiiiit

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
OOC: We ARE HERE! Yessssss! I’m so excited about this collaboration. This has been a long time coming. How long? It’s been a long freaking time since we started work on this and to see it come into fruition is so exciting. The description, lyrics and artwork are really so good here and this was a perfect release to bring Andrea back with. “Southern Belle” will slap. Thanks for having Andreas man make an appearance on this. This really enhance eachother!

Payton: who betta den us? imma wait...lml babiiigurl dis shizzz fiyahhhhhhhh🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

OOC: Sorry for the late reply but thank you!! It has been literal years trying to piece this release together. I've lost track of the time but it's FINALLY out. Your words of encouragement make me real eager to get the album out. I PROMISE it will see the light of day in 2021 lol. Oh and it was an honour to have you write as Payton on the song. I just knew having him and their chemistry together on the track would really elevate it :)

Andrea: fuckin nobody bew!! u kno it!
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 2 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 27/01/2021(UTC), erich hess on 27/01/2021(UTC)
Offline RadioVine  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2021 08:13:24(UTC)
RadioVine

Was thanked: 1064 time(s) in 342 post(s)
Radio: See I’m not I’m not a hair person because I then almost loss my hair with this record! Blow my wing back darling! I love how fun this is but still so powerful to listen too. I never knew Payton had that flow like that baby, you can rap your face off! Such a dope chemistry from you both, this was made to happen! Go get em babies.

OOC: I’m always so jelly of your rap writing skills because I can’t write hip hop to save my life! 🥺
UserPostedImage

PRE SAVE NOW!

thanks 2 users thanked RadioVine for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 27/01/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 27/01/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2021 19:41:57(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Rum: Welp. You know I had to crawl out of the depths of HELL to say something about my girl's new single. I'm so proud that you're still doing your thing, mamas. And I see Payton still providing reliable peen for my girl, as he should. You guys make a fine ass couple and an even better duo, I love when yall get together on a track! Now let me go back under my rock before I start cussing you out about this album that's nowhere to be found.

Edited by user 27 January 2021 19:42:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 27/01/2021(UTC)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#8 Posted : 28 January 2021 03:15:24(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

OOC: The fact that I never heard the soundalike before is criminal I never knew Fergie worked with Nicki Minaj! Poor Ferg she doesn't get the exposure anymore!

on to a serious note - I was pleasantly surprised with the lyrical delivery here coming from your character Sean! The rhymes flowed really well and I was like OK I see you lol I definitely enjoyed the lyrics overall as well! Bars for days! lol

Payton's delivery is always high octane and funny! Perfect combination!
thanks 1 user thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 28/01/2021(UTC)