logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2021 08:29:30(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)

UserPostedImage
Track: Broken Compass
Artist: Allison Cooper
Genre: Acoustic, Indie Rock
Label: Just Record Records, Dahlhouse Entertainment
Written by: Allison Cooper
Produced by: YasmineK
Length: 3:56

Broken Compass is a song recorded by American actress and singer Allison Cooper. The song serves as the final single before the release of the singer's debut album, My Turn, seeking to impact radio on July 2nd, 2021. This single is also the second release under her contract with Just Record Records, with additional promotion from Dahlhouse Entertainment. Written by Allison Cooper and produced by Yasmine Kiambang, Broken Compass is an emotional song where Allison pours out her confused feelings and thoughts over a majestic instrumental accompanied by an acoustic guitar and a soft arrangement of string instruments like violins and etc.

The last single heard from Allison Cooper was the more upbeat track All Talk released on September 10th, 2017. At the time, Allison Cooper had attempted to move in a more positive direction with her music, the previous single featuring a different more confident Allison who belted her happiness from the rooftops. The song became a top 5 hit but was followed by a 4 and a half year silence. During the Dahlhouse Entertainment hiatus, Allison Cooper took her time making revisions to what was supposed to be an already finalized debut album. It wasn't until recently that Allison and her team have sincerely felt the album was ready for another release attempt. Now, Allison returns with a sound that is much more familiar to fans. With Broken Compass she slows the music down and once again revisits her haunting childhood.

The lyrics of Broken Compass speak on the relationship between Allison Cooper and her emotionally manipulative mother. She compares her mother's heart to a "broken compass" where her mother blindly lets her own troubling past guide her every move in the present, moves that frustrate, confuse and hurt her very own daughter, Allison. Navigating her mother's pyche has drained the life out of Allison's childhood and in the lyrics it's clear she's always torn between making space for her mother's feelings and making space for her own, as they always seem to be at odds with each other. She claims that when she tries to close her mouth and let her mom win, she always finds herself getting dragged into an argument and even when Allison tries to open her mouth to prevent a fight, the words are still taken wrong. It leads Allison to feel as if the only people her mom has faced in life are ones with bad intentions and therefore, she expects the same out of her own daughter. It's clear though that trying to care for and show sympathy towards her own mother feels like a losing battle when Allison's own feelings are trampled over and gaslighted. The emotion in her scratchy voice is enough to carry this song and it's meaning on it's own but the quiet guitar playing under her helps portray the timidness in her thoughts and actions when dealing with her explosive mother. The feeling of walking on eggshells is one that lingers heavily in the verses. "Do I bite my tongue or your hand?" Allison asks as she breaks out into the louder chorus, pleading for the mind games to just stop. It's worthy to note that this exchange might not intentionally be a mind game at all, just 2 lost girls fighting helplessly to be loved and understood.

Allison Cooper

Torturous
Long as I keep this fire inside
I'm backed up on pride, it’s made ashes of my kind
I close my mouth but choke, you're fucking childish
From broken heart to broken compass

Look Alice, I love riddles too
This time, let's find the truth

Do I bite my tongue or your hand?
Feed me fat with angst, where'd you find compassion?
The words will drain me, they're all I have
Before you leave me weary, leave me be

Torture
You’re the damaged one, why do I have to hurt?
You keep seeing red, I couldn't be clearer
Open my mouth and choke, your mind is childish
So broken you only expect malice

Alice, I love riddles too
But no one's trying to trick you

Edited by user 02 July 2021 08:37:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 8 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
2001clay on 02/07/2021(UTC), erich hess on 02/07/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 02/07/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 02/07/2021(UTC), Welat65 on 02/07/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 03/07/2021(UTC), Atonic Records on 07/07/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 16/07/2021(UTC)