logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2021 09:00:31(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19112 time(s) in 7584 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Weekend
Title: Pucker
Genre(s): Disco-Pop
Length: 3:20
Writers: D.Blue-Conners, R.Hamilton, B.Khan, O.Ward, S.Wellington
Producer: Preeti
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: TBC

Pucker is a song by British-Irish boy band, Weekend. It was released on July 30th, 2021 as the lead single from their forthcoming fourth studio album following two weeks of promotional teasing. The song was written by all five members of the band with Dustyn Blue-Conners and Riley Hamilton first conceiving the idea before the remaining three others joined the writing session. Production was handled by Preeti, a fellow producer signed to Weekend's Five Pesky Kids record label. The single was formally announced on July 21st, 2021 after several days of the band slowly revealing the cover art via their official Twitter account. During the short period between its reveal and release, Oscar Ward married long-term girlfriend Eilidh whilst Billy Khan was added to the judging panel of the rebooted Star Factory franchise. Many fans have already dubbed this period as the "Weekend renaissance".

An upbeat disco-pop song, "Pucker" also contains elements of bubblegum pop and funk, taking influence from 1970's music trends - which has been a recurring theme on Weekend's past few releases. Unlike on their previous two albums; "About Time" and "Welcome to the Real World", there is less focus on live instrumentation, instead focusing on a more polished pop production akin to many tracks on their 2012 debut record, "Fired Up". Oscar Ward took to Twitter the day before the song's release and jokingly described it as "dickhead disco". This is believed to be due to the nature of the lyrical content. The song centres around someone who is dating and, while having a great time, doesn't wish to become exclusive or move into more serious territory possibly out of fear, immaturity or a combination of both. The "Pucker" hook revolves around shutting someone up with a kiss before they confess their love or ask a serious question regarding the relationship.

Dustyn Blue-Conners wrote:
"When it came to choosing the new Weekend single, I'd say "Pucker" was pretty much the biggest contender since we finished it. It's lively, it's punchy, it's so much fun and it really bridges the gap well from the retro-influenced stuff of our past and into the more upbeat, electropop styling of our new material. The lyrics aren't the kindest but at the end of the day, it's a fluffy pop song. Plus, these things happen. There are people who genuinely fear commitment. Doesn't make them a bad person even though some of their actions might make them seem rather cold. A lot of the songs on our last album were very socially conscious and inspirational. "Pucker" sort of flips the script. It's almost like "Evil Weekend" singing, haha! We made a decision to be more freeing with the writing for this new album. We've always given it 110% when it comes to writing but always had our boundaries. Ten years on, we thought it was safe to move the goal posts again. If we want to cuss on a track, we will. If we want to write about a controversial subject, we will. If we want to ditch the guitars and go full-on synth, we will. We did! A decade on and during these hard times, we just want to have fun and extend that feeling to our audience through these new songs."

Upon release, "Pucker" was met with mostly positive reviews from fans and critics alike. Reviewing for The New York Times, Emily Masterson opined that the song is "effervescent pop at its finest" and praised the track's "youthful, sprightly and undeniable energy" before rounding things off by dubbing it "the potential song of the summer". In his review for The Guardian, Thomas Dunbar reflected; "While their previous effort may have suggested the Formidable Five were heading in a more mature direction and showed glimmers of that dreaded "man band" territory, "Pucker" blows all worries and preconceived ideas out of the water with its cheeky lyrics, high-octane energy and hooks catchier than a cold". Dunbar then went on to call the release "another unexpected and welcome move in Weekend's long and fruitful career". Gabriel Carmichael of Idolator informally branded the song as "pop music on crack". Annabel Jenkins of Pitchfork reflected on the band's history and previous output whilst reviewing the new single, stating; "Weekend have been the heartthrobs. The bad boys. The cookie-cutter poster boys. The industry joke. The industry giants. From angsty teen rock-pop numbers, to cooing ballads aimed at a massively insecure demographic, to stadium rock filled with political and social messages, Weekend have done it all. Now, ten years on, they just want to have fun and that's exactly what "Pucker" is. Unapologetic sugary pop fun!" Hilary Perkins of Vulture called the song "balls-to-the-wall pop chaos, complete with funky brass sections and a goose-bump inducing key change". Martine Nicholls of Elle also highlighted the key change on the last chorus, opining that it "takes the song from a 10/10 up, out and into the stratosphere" before calling Riley Hamilton and his falsetto register "the star of the show".

VOCAL ANALYSIS

Riley is arguably the most prominent vocalist on "Pucker". He opens the song with a brief preview of the forthcoming hook before properly kicking off, singing the entirety of the first verse. His head voice and falsetto register are extremely prominent throughout, setting the tone and being the main driving force behind the high-octane disco energy. Against the production, many view his performance as "Bee-Gees" influenced. During the second chorus, Riley has another brief solo segment. While all five members sing the chorus in unison, Riley takes the very notable highest part of the harmony. He alongside Billy are arguably the most recognisable voices within the chorus. Riley is also the main element within the dramatic key change in the last chorus, pushing his tone even higher after delivering the final line of the bridge.

Oscar is the second member to have solo airtime within the track. He sings the first pre-chorus, taking over from Riley. Oscar was purposely chosen to follow his band mate in this section to drive the song into another territory. His voice is much deeper, huskier and rockier than Hamilton's and his delivery is filled with far more attitude as opposed to Riley's softer, delicate take. Oscar sings in the chorus but isn't at the forefront. Instead, he and Dustyn take the lower register harmonies. Oscar returns once again later in the song to deliver the second line of the bridge.

Billy is first heard within the very first chorus of "Pucker". While he and Riley take the most notable harmonies, Billy also sings two solo lines within the main hook. He does this in the first and third chorus, switching out with Riley for the second. Billy then returns for the second pre-chorus, following on from Dustyn who has a huskier, deeper tone which again showcases a wonderful contrast between the vocalists within the band. He is often noted for his melisma and vibrato which he certainly makes use of on this segment. Billy returns yet again in the bride, taking the second-to-last line of the segment.

Dustyn takes on the entirety of the second verse, after the first chorus is over. This time around, it is a member with a lower, more gravelly voice taking on a verse as opposed to someone with a lighter tone. Dustyn's vocal performances are often filled with his signature Irish twang and vibrato both of which are delivered with aplomb on "Pucker". Arguably the most powerful vocalist, Dustyn still shows great control and doesn't overdo any of his vocal flourishes and embellishments. His vocal quips set the tone for Khan, who soon follows and is also known for his singing tricks and techniques. Dustyn then returns to kick off the bridge, taking the first of five shared lines.

Scott doesn't have any truly prominent sections. However, this is by choice as the singer openly suffers with performance anxiety and willingly prefers to have less solo segments. Scott sings a line in the bridge on his own. Also, despite being performed in unison, the post-chorus "Pu-pucker up, uh-uh-oh" section is where Scott can also be heard rather easily. His chanting appears to be turned up slightly higher in the vocal mix.

PUCKER

All
Billy
Dustyn
Oscar
Riley
Scott

Pucker up and give me a kiss
Don't give those words a chance to slip

I like to be kept on my toes
Eager to drift when the wind blows
Can't play with something that's set in stone
It's a good thing we got right here
Your right hand resting on my thigh
On another aimless night time ride
Ringless fingers perfectly intertwine
It's a good thing we have right here

Why's everybody in such a rush to define?
You know I've always been the type to defy
I'm satisfied with these little tastes
'Cause the less I get, the more I crave

Baby, please, hold your tongue
Before that sentence is strung
I don't like these grown-up conversations
Whatever happened to good-old fornication?

Never been good in these situations
Often ends in shameful abdication

Pu-pucker up, uh-uh-oh
Ah-uh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
Pu-pucker up, uh-uh-oh
Ah-uh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

Rooftop chugging a frosty can of beer
Head on my shoulder, I like it here
But over the edge there's a brand new fear
It's a good thing we got right now
We look so happy in the mirror's frame
And if we enjoy our time isn't it all the same?
There's no need to go and share a last name
It's a good thing we got right now

I'm wrapped up in how this melody flows
Not in a rush to experience that crescendo
Searched the depths and there's still no answers
Coming up for air to relieve the pressure

Pu-pucker up, uh-uh-oh
Ah-uh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
Pu-pucker up, uh-uh-oh
Ah-uh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

Sip more cheap wine when I don't know what to say
Puckering my lips up so nothing scary can escape
Oddly feels comfortable when I don't know my place
Open roads, this world is our playground
Don't go and try to pin it down

Pu-pucker up, uh-uh-oh
Ah-uh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
Pu-pucker up, uh-uh-oh
Ah-uh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 8 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
PANIC! on 31/07/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 31/07/2021(UTC), erich hess on 31/07/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 31/07/2021(UTC), Welat65 on 31/07/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 06/08/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 07/08/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 09/08/2021(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2021 10:05:42(UTC)
2001clay

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3540 time(s) in 1266 post(s)
Fatima Amari: I am so happy that you guys just release this brand new music & i gotta say that i love this song already

Stardom Boys: We love your song & we're hope to see what happen next for you guys

OCC: Great job
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 31/07/2021(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2021 10:43:32(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17909 time(s) in 10405 post(s)
Gretchen: you know what? Erica was going to say "I love you" first. But I totally kissed her in the middle of it.

Erica: then I grabbed your wrists and made you listen to me...and returned to be favor when you tried to say it back.

Gretchen: is it hot in here? I think it's it's hot in here.

Mariko: I'd do some filthy dancing to this song.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 31/07/2021(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2021 19:06:34(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
Ezra: Now this is what I call an actual cultural reset! We love a boy group that is never aging and constantly keeping up with the new trends and being superior in them as well. Legends, that's really what I am trying to say. This is definitly a song I will be listening to while driving around the city, trying to forget all my worries. You guys did what you have to do with this one and I can't wait for this album!
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 01/08/2021(UTC)
Offline RadioVine  
#5 Posted : 03 August 2021 02:49:46(UTC)
RadioVine

Was thanked: 1056 time(s) in 339 post(s)
Radio: This will be such a perfect song if I actually had someone to kiss.. I remember when you guys first came on the scene and you had a chemistry between each other that was eccentric. I love the fact you haven’t lost that touch that we all fell in love with. You’ve gotten so much better at your craft. Such a hit my loves.

OOC: One of my favorite groups! So glad you are returning them! What a comeback!
UserPostedImage

PRE SAVE NOW!

thanks 1 user thanked RadioVine for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 03/08/2021(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#6 Posted : 06 August 2021 00:43:26(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Chris: I love the Weekend, mostly notably Billy, but I love the group too. I wouldn't mind puckering up with some of those guys but really only one was going to get something other than a pucker.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 06/08/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#7 Posted : 07 August 2021 01:03:34(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Ryan: You bastards have done it again! You've earned the ability to step away for a bit then catapult yourselves right back to the forefront of this industry. It's not even about your past merits but the fact that you're coming back with these insanely infectious, hyper catchy songs that will no doubt catch on like wildfire. Riley killed it. My man Oscar killed it. Dustyn killed it. Even Scott came in real smooth and understated to do his thing. It's just a fun song to listen to and dance along with in the privacy of your home. Love it! Also... I'm still sorry about my 2012 commentary on ya'll. That was not my best year/decade.

OOC: This is so great! I love the concept behind the song so much! The vocal analysis bit really showcases what each member brought to the song, so it makes it super easy to visualize the progression of it. Can't wait to see what you have planned for this new era of Weekend!
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 07/08/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#8 Posted : 25 August 2021 23:51:20(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Fatima Amari: I am so happy that you guys just release this brand new music & i gotta say that i love this song already

Stardom Boys: We love your song & we're hope to see what happen next for you guys

OCC: Great job

Dustyn: Thank you, Fatima! Thank you, boys!! Really appreciate the support and can't wait to share more new music! :)

OOC: Thank you! :)

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Gretchen: you know what? Erica was going to say "I love you" first. But I totally kissed her in the middle of it.

Erica: then I grabbed your wrists and made you listen to me...and returned to be favor when you tried to say it back.

Gretchen: is it hot in here? I think it's it's hot in here.

Mariko: I'd do some filthy dancing to this song.

Billy: Yes, ladies. I want this song to continue to unleash filth for years to come. These lyrics are actually quite tame though. We should do an 18+ version.

Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
Ezra: Now this is what I call an actual cultural reset! We love a boy group that is never aging and constantly keeping up with the new trends and being superior in them as well. Legends, that's really what I am trying to say. This is definitly a song I will be listening to while driving around the city, trying to forget all my worries. You guys did what you have to do with this one and I can't wait for this album!

Riley: A cultural reset? Wow! We'll take that! We just wanted to have a lot of fun with this album to celebrate 10 years in the industry and you've been a strong supporter for many so we thank you! Hope the album will bring you as much joy as 'Pucker' has!

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 26/08/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#9 Posted : 26 August 2021 00:03:52(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RadioVine Go to Quoted Post
Radio: This will be such a perfect song if I actually had someone to kiss.. I remember when you guys first came on the scene and you had a chemistry between each other that was eccentric. I love the fact you haven’t lost that touch that we all fell in love with. You’ve gotten so much better at your craft. Such a hit my loves.

OOC: One of my favorite groups! So glad you are returning them! What a comeback!

Scott: I'm sure you'll find someone to kiss in no time, Radio! Thank you so much. We're definitely older and wiser...in a creative sense. On the daily we're still chaotic but I wouldn't have it any other way! A lot of time has gone by but we still live and breathe 'Weekend' and I'm glad so many fellow artists like yourself have continued to embrace us. Thank you!

OOC: My favourite group too haha! Thank you so much!! <3

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Chris: I love the Weekend, mostly notably Billy, but I love the group too. I wouldn't mind puckering up with some of those guys but really only one was going to get something other than a pucker.

Billy: I support free speech and this statement. You have every right to say those words and I fully agree. We should arrange something ;)

Originally Posted by: PANIC! Go to Quoted Post
Ryan: You bastards have done it again! You've earned the ability to step away for a bit then catapult yourselves right back to the forefront of this industry. It's not even about your past merits but the fact that you're coming back with these insanely infectious, hyper catchy songs that will no doubt catch on like wildfire. Riley killed it. My man Oscar killed it. Dustyn killed it. Even Scott came in real smooth and understated to do his thing. It's just a fun song to listen to and dance along with in the privacy of your home. Love it! Also... I'm still sorry about my 2012 commentary on ya'll. That was not my best year/decade.

OOC: This is so great! I love the concept behind the song so much! The vocal analysis bit really showcases what each member brought to the song, so it makes it super easy to visualize the progression of it. Can't wait to see what you have planned for this new era of Weekend!

Oscar: The irony of our 2012 work influencing this new song that you love is not lost on me! haha! We wanted a more freeing, upbeat sound like our debut but polish it and bring it in 2021. Combine the youthful energy of back then and merge it with the refined skills and talents we have today. After being dictated to during that first album era, we made a conscious effort to push away from that style and do more 'serious' songs for a while. 10 years on, it's now time to embrace what put us on the map and doing it with gusto and on our own terms. Glad that it's bringing joy to people who weren't as receptive to 2012 Weekend. You and I both share that. Even I wasn't totally enamoured with us back then.

OOC: Thank you! Weekend are an act that I know inside and out. Even back when they debuted, I had very specific ideas of what each member brings as a vocalist and performer on top of all their other characteristics. Definitely going to be doing more vocal analysis segments for future Weekend releases. Easy to write and it bumps up the word count so I look all smart and fancy haha!

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
PANIC! on 26/08/2021(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#10 Posted : 05 September 2021 07:56:06(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
BitchWat: I FUCKING WENT CRAZY WHEN I FIRST SAW THIS WAS COMING OUT. Like....who doesn't love Weekend? We love the boys individually but when you all come together? It's a cultural reset every time. I love that every time you guys come together its a moment and this is a really fucking catchy song. I liked the overall build up to the track which had me like "they better fucking deliver", and obviously you did. I'm living for this comeback (even though ya'll never went anywhere) and can't wait for the album!!!!

OOC: Awesome work as usual :P
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 05/09/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#11 Posted : 12 September 2021 22:19:10(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
BitchWat: I FUCKING WENT CRAZY WHEN I FIRST SAW THIS WAS COMING OUT. Like....who doesn't love Weekend? We love the boys individually but when you all come together? It's a cultural reset every time. I love that every time you guys come together its a moment and this is a really fucking catchy song. I liked the overall build up to the track which had me like "they better fucking deliver", and obviously you did. I'm living for this comeback (even though ya'll never went anywhere) and can't wait for the album!!!!

OOC: Awesome work as usual :P

Billy: That's what we look to achieve with every release; making people go crazy and creating a cultural rest. Job done, I say. Seriously though, glad 'Pucker' is getting such responses like this. For this new album, we didn't want to do anything too heavy or serious. It's just fun, catchy pop and I think it's clear it's what the world needs now in 2021. Think the entire album will make you pass out ;)

OOC: Thank youuuu! :)
UserPostedImage