logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PANIC!  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2021 07:42:19(UTC)
PANIC!

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Single by Ryan Ross Hernandez and Ellie-Grace Summers
from the album Amongst the Madness
Title: Blind Faith
Released: September 24, 2021
Studio: Oro y Plata Studios (Livingston, Montana)
Genre: Indie folk, ballad, chamber pop
Length: 4:56
Label: Studio 60 Records
Songwriter(s): Ryan Ross Hernandez, Ellie-Grace Summers
Producer(s): Ryan Ross Hernandez, Ellie-Grace Summers

"Blind Faith" is a song by American singer-songwriters Ryan Ross Hernandez and Ellie-Grace Summers. It was released on September 24, 2021, as the third single taken from their joint album, Amongst the Madness, which is scheduled to be released later this fall, via Studio 60 Records. "Blind Faith" was written by Hernandez and Summers, who also produced the track together. It is the first song off their collaborative project that is released without any prior announcement or teaser.

Continuing the trend set with its preceding singles, "Blind Faith" marks another stylistic change in their collaboration following the bombastic rock number "Company Amongst the Madness" and the disco-pop sensibilities found in "All In". "Blind Faith" is a multi-layered ballad, starting off with a slow-burning, stripped-down piano arrangement, before building up to a cinematic affair with its swirling string arrangement, heightened harmonies, and minimalistic percussions. Led by Hernandez's husky baritone delivery and Summers' delicate vocals, they serve a back-and-forth throughout as they narrate a story of a deteriorating romantic relationship. The song has been defined as indie folk and chamber pop by critics, with elements of orchestral and gospel rounding out the heartfelt ballad.

Ellie-Grace Summers wrote:
"We all love a classic tale of head vs. heart, don't we? The causes and circumstances around the situation varies from person to person but I guarantee that everyone in some sort of relationship has arrived at an eye-opening, stark crossroads. Whether it's a romantic relationship, friendship, a family member or even career related, there's usually a fight or flight moment somewhere in our lifetime. These are decisions we don't want to make and wish would just go away. Weighing up your options, fearing the unknown, feeling loyalty to a person, feeling guilt, thinking about all the "what if" possibilities, wanting to turn your life around, not wanting to make the wrong decision. It's raw. It's stomach-churning. Our characters are right in the midst of it. That love, loyalty and adoration is there but it's being tested to an extreme. My character's sort of realising that she deserves more respect, that things can't go on like this, it's not healthy and that's something's got to give...but she's not brave enough to make a major move and there's also that naïve voice in the back of her mind that tells her it'll soon pass. More fool her."

"The soundscape of the track really does it justice. How we've pieced the song together is very delicate and tender in sound whilst still sounding cinematic. Each instrument has its moment and brings an underlying sense of urgency and drama without being too overwhelming. The strings, the piano, the electric guitar, they all tap into the sadness and tension but never outstay their welcome. The arrangements really amplify that feeling of containment, the apprehension felt in that fight or flight moment whilst also highlighting the delicateness of love and compassion. We took our time with it. It's a very intricate piece designed for a song that centres around the complexity of love."

Ryan Ross Hernandez wrote:
"When we came back to the states from the FCAs, we immediately went to Montana and set up camp there for about six weeks or so. The very first day we were there and getting things set up at my home studio, Ellie-Grace went straight to the piano and into her own little world. I know her uncanny genius enough that the moment I see her pick up a guitar or get behind the piano, I always make sure to hit record and have the tape running because it's going to be special. She composed and played the entire piano section you hear on the song within a day. Building out the rest of the song took more time because we were very tactful with the arrangement we wanted. We wanted a string section for that orchestral feel but aside from that and the piano, the instrumentals are very minimal. There's some electric guitar, there's some light synths, there's some drums in there. We wanted to create a vast soundscape without using too many brushes."

"In the world we created with this album and our characters, this one is particularly emotional. I shed some tears when we heard it back the first time because we were so invested in what we were writing about that you naturally build an attachment to these fictional people. That's why the record to me plays out like a movie. We jump to the midst of the film with "Blind Faith" at a time where things are not going well between this couple. They are at a crossroads where he's fighting his demons and she's struggling to keep him afloat. The blind faith here to me is the love they have for each other. Is there a point where an "I love you" is no longer enough?"

The song received positive critical reviews upon release. Many music publications considered "Blind Faith" to be the strongest song Hernandez and Summers have released together. Kimberly Austin of Rolling Stone praised the "storytelling" songwriting and "sparse" instrumentation that allow their voices to shine. Pitchfork's critic Erin Dawson commended the song as a "beautifully devastating ballad" that showcases the duo's ability to paint a "detailed story" for the listener to invest themselves in. Writing for Vanity Fair, Stephanie Foster commented that "Blind Faith" brings a sense of "realism", musing that aspects of the lyrics could have been inspired by Hernandez and Summers' past romantic relationship. Spin's Allison Wainwright described the chemistry between the two artists as "undeniably smoldering" and named them "the strongest visible partnership in music" with "Blind Faith" being a "high mark". USA Today's Grace Gyllenhaal compared it to Hernandez's "introspective" songwriting style in his solo career paired "delicately" with Summers' "poetic" approach.

The New York Times writer Stephen Lowry deemed the song a "benchmark" in both musician's respective discographies, praising the "emotionally-charged" delivery they bring to the table for "Blind Faith". PopMatters critic Amanda Hart described it as "earnest", specifically highlighting Summers' piano performance as "enchanting" and the ideal backdrop for the "tearjerking" lyricism. Billboard's Heather Sandberg said that "if "Company Amongst the Madness" was the lead-in to a sex-filled, post-quarantine anthem," and "All In" was made for "summer flings", then "Blind Faith" leads fans into "the cooler embrace of fall with its whiskey-drowned, script-like dialogue of a crumbling relationship." Jeffery Allen of NME called the song a "prime example" of why the pairing of Hernandez and Summers works so well, referring to "Blind Faith" as an "effortlessly remarkable single" with a "haunting" feel.

Blind Faith

Ryan
Ellie-Grace
Both

I'm a fucking mess these days
I've gone through bottles and can't find the answers
If you up and leave to your parents house
I won't hold it against you, darling
Your friends are probably right about me
I built you up so high and then I let you free fall
Is the version you want of me as real as water?
Is it an imploding mirage that never existed?

You don't have to say any words
I can already see it from that look in your eyes
How much I disappoint you
You were scared of what I could possibly do
You thought that I should call my therapist
Maybe she can give me some pills to feel less like myself
If I can't help myself or let you inside
What the hell is the point of it all?
Is our blind faith enough to keep us going?

Bouncing between tension and melancholy
Black and blue from the constant push and shove
It's a battle just holding my head up
Stinging eyes and an exasperated little heart
My folks would never let me back
And that's why I never run to their arms
Maybe I'm foolish thinking this will blow over
Skin is raw enduring this ferocious storm

I try hard, I really do
Possibly too hung up on what used to be
Clouded by nostalgia and white picket dreams
Starting to think that glimmer of hope is a mirage
Everyone talks about how I'm such a saint
But you're the one to test my patience
You can't seem to help yourself, won't let me in
What the hell is the point of it all?
Is our blind faith enough to keep us going?

Maybe we're masochists
We need to always be in pain to feel okay
Maybe we're quitters
Always giving up when things get tough
Maybe there's some blind faith in us both
That outweighs the troubles inside our heads
Maybe we can make it to the other side
I don't know what will be left by then
Maybe we can rebuild it

Always doing a little damage control
Another excuse down the line to my sister
A rain check on my best friends again
Is this really my life now?
If I'm smart then I'd pack up and get out
Maybe I'm just dumb in love?
Maybe I have an almighty savior complex?
Regardless, here I am tonight

Maybe we're masochists
Maybe we're quitters
Maybe we can rebuild it

Can you wait it out, honey?
Until I can return to loving you
I'm fighting demons each and every night
Even with you sleeping peacefully on my chest
When the tears flow out like a waterfall
I try to steady my posture so you don't wake
You're perfect and I'm shattered

The ice is wearing thinner
Only so much my system can take
I know that you're fighting your demons
But I'm also going rounds in the ring
A dark cloud forever looming over us
Wish we could just put a pin in it all
Rest up for a while, I'm shattered

Maybe we're masochists
(Can you wait it out, honey?)
(The ice is wearing thinner)
Maybe we're quitters
(I'm fighting demons each and every night)
(I know that you're fighting your demons)
Maybe we can rebuild it
(I'm shattered)

Maybe we're masochists
Maybe we're quitters
Maybe we can rebuild it
(I'm shattered)

---

Comparable To:

---

OOC: I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but a big thank you to my partner in this endeavor Sean/BrownSugar for the help in writing the song, as well as creating the artwork :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 11 users thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
2001clay on 25/09/2021(UTC), Mckenzie- on 25/09/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 25/09/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 25/09/2021(UTC), Welat65 on 25/09/2021(UTC), erich hess on 25/09/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 25/09/2021(UTC), kandii on 28/09/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 29/09/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 01/10/2021(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 11/12/2021(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2021 17:04:38(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
Alicia: I've been closely keeping tabs on you guys ever since you announced that you'll be collaborating on a long-term project together and I must say it's been an outstanding journey so far. Artistically it was always going to be of the highest standard because of their pair of you being at the helm, but it's gone above and beyond even my own high expectations for the pair of you. As a fan of both of your solo works, it's like the perfect marriage putting you both together on a project of this magnitude that not a whole lot could pull off. I was in full anticipation mode for the upcoming album but this latest single came out unexpectedly for me and has me hooked.

I'm loving the earthy vibe of the track, the indie-pop sound with elements of balladry are very much in with my current tastes and shows another side to your varying work together so far. But the lyrics and theme of the song is where it stands tallest for me, lyrically it's so beautiful and poetic and the story throughout the song is one that I'm always drawn to. A deep and strong love being tested to it's very limits, it's that idea that even the thing that appears strongest and the most unbreakable can still be vulnerable to the volatility of life. You've encapsulated the theme and story type that I'm mostly drawn towards in this one song. It's beautiful and it's remarkable as I would always expect from the pair of you both individually and collectively. Amazing work, my friends.
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
PANIC! on 26/09/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#3 Posted : 28 September 2021 14:34:39(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Mae: Everyday we get closer and closer to a Ryan Ross Hernandez & Ellie-Grace Summers album. You guys are such a perfect matchup and not just musically. A bond like yours is priceless.

OOC: Really beautiful work here you guys! Everything is so well written and poetic.
thanks 2 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 28/09/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 29/09/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#4 Posted : 09 October 2021 06:55:16(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Alicia: I've been closely keeping tabs on you guys ever since you announced that you'll be collaborating on a long-term project together and I must say it's been an outstanding journey so far. Artistically it was always going to be of the highest standard because of their pair of you being at the helm, but it's gone above and beyond even my own high expectations for the pair of you. As a fan of both of your solo works, it's like the perfect marriage putting you both together on a project of this magnitude that not a whole lot could pull off. I was in full anticipation mode for the upcoming album but this latest single came out unexpectedly for me and has me hooked.

I'm loving the earthy vibe of the track, the indie-pop sound with elements of balladry are very much in with my current tastes and shows another side to your varying work together so far. But the lyrics and theme of the song is where it stands tallest for me, lyrically it's so beautiful and poetic and the story throughout the song is one that I'm always drawn to. A deep and strong love being tested to it's very limits, it's that idea that even the thing that appears strongest and the most unbreakable can still be vulnerable to the volatility of life. You've encapsulated the theme and story type that I'm mostly drawn towards in this one song. It's beautiful and it's remarkable as I would always expect from the pair of you both individually and collectively. Amazing work, my friends.

Ryan: The high praise means a lot coming from you, friend! This project is very ambitious and from the get-go I think we knew it was going to be a bit maniac. That's why the album is called "Amongst the Madness" because our names are not expected to be placed next to each other, particularly not in this magnitude. Yet we're likely the perfect matches for each other to do something like this. We don't want this album to ever feel like it's Ryan Ross Hernandez featuring Ellie-Grace Summers or vice-versa. It's a partnership from start to finish and the goal with the singles thus far has been to showcase that. Ellie and I are both proud of "Blind Faith" because we wanted to capture the rawness of an interpersonal battle. Whether you get invested in the characters we are portraying within it conceptually or are able to put yourself in their experience, you're going to feel something. It's going to bring forth an emotion out of you which music is meant do. Thank you again for your kindness, Alicia. Let's all meet up for dinner soon! We have a lot of catching up to do!

Originally Posted by: kandii Go to Quoted Post
Mae: Everyday we get closer and closer to a Ryan Ross Hernandez & Ellie-Grace Summers album. You guys are such a perfect matchup and not just musically. A bond like yours is priceless.

OOC: Really beautiful work here you guys! Everything is so well written and poetic.

Ryan: You are right about that! We are getting very close to our album being out in the world and I am both thrilled and terrified about that prospect! Thank you very much. We do have something special and I think we do the project justice by pouring our entire beings into it. We didn't restrain ourselves in the pursuit of making the best songs we could.

OOC: Thank you so much! I couldn't have done it without Sean's fantastic input and lyrical contributions.
UserPostedImage
Online BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 09 October 2021 21:45:25(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
Alfie Summers: Half of this song is great. Well done Ellie! Shame about the old dude.

OOC: Always feel weird commenting on RRH & EGS threads. Don't want to seem like I'm blowing smoke up my own ass but we DID THAT! Really proud of everything we have worked on thus far, this song being one of my favourites in particular. Aside from a brief moment where I hit a writing slump due to personal circumstances, I'd say this project has been one of the most natural I've ever worked on. The words just flow and that's in part due to your stellar ideas. Can't wait to release the whole album!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
PANIC! on 12/10/2021(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#6 Posted : 10 October 2021 21:52:27(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
Ezra: You did what you had to do, as per usual! Honestly, I love pretty much every song you guys do together. I can't wait to get my hands on this album!
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
PANIC! on 12/10/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#7 Posted : 15 October 2021 07:16:55(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Alfie Summers: Half of this song is great. Well done Ellie! Shame about the old dude.

OOC: Always feel weird commenting on RRH & EGS threads. Don't want to seem like I'm blowing smoke up my own ass but we DID THAT! Really proud of everything we have worked on thus far, this song being one of my favourites in particular. Aside from a brief moment where I hit a writing slump due to personal circumstances, I'd say this project has been one of the most natural I've ever worked on. The words just flow and that's in part due to your stellar ideas. Can't wait to release the whole album!

Ryan: I am young at heart, you bastard! However, Ellie did knock it out of the park and I can accept her getting all the praise for this song/album/project/existence.

OOC: I sound like a broken record at this point but here goes it again; THANK YOU! This project would have never been a thing without you. I too can't wait to share the entire album!

Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
Ezra: You did what you had to do, as per usual! Honestly, I love pretty much every song you guys do together. I can't wait to get my hands on this album!

Ryan: Thank you so much! We truly drain ourselves creatively and physically in order to make the best possible songs we can when we're in the same room together. The album is well worth the wait, believe me!

UserPostedImage
Offline Famouss7x7  
#8 Posted : 24 October 2021 03:52:21(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
Nick Urie: Wow, I've been living under a rock man but I had to come out of hiding to tell you how much I love this song here. The stuff that you and Ellie are continuing to do really puts a staple on just how talented you both are as vocalists, writers and producers. I've been following the culmination of this project since it began and with each song you guys drop, it seems like you just keep topping the one before. With so many quality, rich, emotive tracks....I'm itching for the album. Please give us more, yeah?

OOC: Wonderful work from the both of you. Really enjoying the RRH/Ellie stuff!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 2 users thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 24/10/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 24/10/2021(UTC)
Offline TishaJackson!!!!  
#9 Posted : 12 November 2021 16:09:27(UTC)
TishaJackson!!!!

Was thanked: 1322 time(s) in 637 post(s)
Tisha: I LOVE LOVE LOVE

OOC: I'm ready for this album, this is a big deal.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked TishaJackson!!!! for this useful post.
PANIC! on 12/11/2021(UTC)