logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2022 07:09:25(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19119 time(s) in 7590 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Weekend
Title: Fired Up
Genre(s): Pop, Rock-Pop, Electropop, Dance
Length: 38:42
Writers: Various
Producers: Various
Format(s): CD, Vinyl, Cassette, Digital Download, Streaming
Label: Five Pesky Kids, Angel Music (Original Release)
Singles Released: Everything About You (#2), Smile About It (#1), Fired Up (#5)

Fired Up is the debut studio album from British-Irish boy band Weekend, initially released on March 27th, 2012 via Angel Music Records. After acquiring the rights, Five Pesky Kids are releasing a remastered 10th anniversary edition. The album was recorded over a short period of five months between November 2011 and February 2012, in the UK and Sweden, working with a variety of writers and producers. Unlike the albums that followed, the majority of the tracks already existed before the band's involvement, resulting in fewer writing credits amongst the members. The album's lyrical content regards youth, first love, relationships, heartbreak, partying and empowerment.

After being formed through rounds of auditions held by former G2L member Lyrica Ocha and management company FireStar Talent in October 2011, Weekend were signed by label owner and rapper Mykaylah Landers to a £1 million Angel Music Records recording contract. With Ocha and Landers' involvement in the group as well as the hefty sum of money, Weekend began garnering media attention before recording even began. Hailed as a "great pop experiment", expectations were high and deadlines were short. Recording for "Fired Up" began in November 2011, as the group moved between London and Stockholm to work with multiple producers and writers. With interest being high, many creatives entered "bidding wars" to be able to work with the band. The fast-paced recording process was described as "intensive", with the group recording a multitude of tracks in order to find the "perfect" songs for their anticipated debut. Many of the songs already existed as either full or chorus-only demos before being presented to the band. "Smile About It", "The Weekend" and "Almost Persuaded" were the only three tracks written entirely from scratch by the members of the band. Dustyn Blue recorded and re-cut all guitar segments heard throughout the album.

Critical reception of the album was initially mixed to positive upon release, with further acclaim generating in retrospect over the last decade. Many contemporary music critics praised the record's "fun", "youthful" and "energetic" pop-oriented melodies and production which deviated from the "glossier", "high end" and "artsy" material which was popular in the charts at the time. Retrospective reviews have also highlighted and applauded Weekend's decision to make all of their records gender neutral, allowing further appeal and inclusivity towards all gender and sexual identities. The album's tracks feature a mainstream metronomic pop sound, delving into other pockets of the genre such as rock and dance-pop, combining a mixture of both authentic and synthesised instrumentation. While the members' vocals are presented individually on the album, this record heavily featured Oscar Ward as lead vocalist, with Dustyn Blue as secondary lead. Members Billy Khan and Riley Hamilton alternated as the tertiary singers while Scott Wellington received the least vocal airtime.

"Fired Up" was an international success, debuting at #1 on the Chart Heat Albums list with 370k units sold. The record has since been certified 5x Platinum, became the third best-selling album of 2012, best-selling by a group, and began a trend of consecutive #1 albums for the band. With "Fired Up" debuting atop the Albums Chart, they subsequently became the first all-vocal male group to reach #1 on that chart with acts such as ELMNT, Public Warning, Midnight20 and Orion following suit in later years. Three singles were released from the album. The record's lead single, "Everything About You", released in January 2012, debuted and peaked at #2 on Chart Heat Singles and catapulted the group to global stardom. Second single, "Smile About It", became the group's first #1 hit. Third and final single, the title track, "Fired Up", performed more modestly, peaking at #5. The former two singles are listed among the best-selling singles of all-time.

A 10-YEAR CELEBRATION MESSAGE FROM WEEKEND

UserPostedImage

Quote:
"Wow, 10 years? Where did the time go?! When we set out to create this album we had no idea what was in store for us. We wanted the album and the Weekend project to be a success and a whole load of fun but nothing could have prepared us for what would actually happen. Safe to say we achieved our mission and then some! We always knew we had something special. The five of us together? Absolute lightning in a bottle. There's something special in the air when we all get in a room together even 10 years on. We're so grateful that energy radiated and resonated with what is undoubtedly the best global family out there. There are fans and supporters and then there's our Weekenders. Nobody compares to you lot! You took this record and ran with it. It spread like wildfire across the globe because of this glorious fandom. We were just five young lads having a blast in a recording booth. You were the ones who really catapulted it out of the stratosphere. We remember the online trends, how you'd bombard TV and radio stations across the world with requests, the petitions to get us to perform in your countries, the mass buyouts of our records at your local music stores and the undying love since day 1. We never quite understood the formula that made everything just click right off the bat. We still scratch our heads to this day but there's no point trying to dissect the synergy we've been blessed with. We're the luckiest guys in the world."

"Remastering this album and the music videos has been a tear-filled trip down memory lane. It both seems like yesterday and a million years ago at the same time. We vividly remember the hype and excitement we felt when we first burst onto the scene yet in the same breath, we barely recognise those young boys. We were BABIES! Teenage boys thrown into a house in London together, leaving our families, schools, studies and jobs behind, given a huge recording contract and just told to make music and be pop stars. It could have been a recipe for disaster and, let's face it, we had a few close scrapes back in the day. You remember the headlines and we lived them out. Crazy times filled with jarring culture shocks and glorious life-changing experiences. We were plucked from our homes and haven't known "normality" for 10 years now. Would we change it for the world? Never!"

"Thank you for taking us and this album to your hearts. We can hardly put into words how much your support over the last 10 years means to us. Here's to another 10 and beyond!"

- Billy, Dustyn, Riley, Scott & Oscar
💜💙💚🧡❤️️

TRACKLIST

UserPostedImage

Everything About You
(S.Hollywood, J.Stellfox, H.Thompson)

Smile About It
(D.Blue, R.Hamilton, B.Khan, O.Ward, S.Wellington)

Fired Up
(W.Nugent, C.Peters)

Crash
(D.Blue, S.Hollywood, S.Wellington)

Tell Me What You Want
(D.Blue, B.Khan, L.Mathers, O.Parker)

On Replay
(J.Stellfox)

Gone
(K.Daniels, B.Jackson, V.Knight)

Moon is Blue
(F.Millar, O.Parker)

The Weekend

Ain't the Same
(K.Daniels, E.Poole)

Almost Persuaded

Edited by user 28 March 2022 07:29:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 11 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 28/03/2022(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 28/03/2022(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 28/03/2022(UTC), erich hess on 28/03/2022(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 28/03/2022(UTC), PANIC! on 28/03/2022(UTC), Welat65 on 30/03/2022(UTC), C4AJoh on 16/04/2022(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 23/04/2022(UTC), freestylechamp on 17/10/2022(UTC), kandii on 18/06/2023(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2022 04:09:53(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Everything About You
Genre(s): Pop, Rock-Pop
Length: 3:32
Writers: S.Hollywood, J.Stellfox, H.Thompson
Producer: Julien Stellfox
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: Fired Up

Everything About You is a song by British-Irish boy band Weekend. It served as their debut single and lead release from their freshman album, Fired Up. Written by Sara Hollywood, Harold Thompson and producer Julien Stellfox, the song was released by Angel Music Records on January 12th, 2012. It is a rock-pop song which features a prominent guitar riff, "powerful" chanting vocals and a memorable "you-ooh-ooh" hook. "Everything About You" is one of only two official singles not to feature writing credits from any member of the band. Despite the song being written for Weekend in the early stages of their development, the group were still somewhat involved in the creative process. Dustyn Blue plays guitar on the final mix of the song and the original lyrics were changed to include gender neutral pronouns on account of Blue and Khan's sexuality. Gender inclusive lyricism would be a strong theme to follow all future Weekend releases. Lyrically, the song sees the boys fall head over heels for a romantic interest who appears to have a presence and allure so powerful that it makes them weak at the knees and instantly infatuated.

Upon release, "Everything About You" received a mixed reaction with a more positive reception coming years down the line in retrospective reviews. Some critics dismissed the song and band as "disposable chart pop fodder" and as a "cash grab" for their creator Lyrica Ocha and label Angel Music Records. Many fellow musicians also reacted negatively to the single and the group, not warming to their "manufactured" beginnings and "brash" energy. Despite a somewhat hostile launch, "Everything About You" was an immediate hit upon release. The now iconic music video which featured the group taking a road trip through California and throwing a beach party received heavy rotation on Music Box and has generated over 1 billion views on YouTube. The single peaked at #2 on Chart Heat and has since gone on to become one of the best-selling songs of all-time according to Chart Heat data. In retrospect, many critics have recalled the single as "a breath of fresh air" and praised the track and Weekend for being "fun", "full of energy" and "pure pop" during a time when popular releases were taking a "darker" and "high art" approach.

WEEKEND'S REFLECTION

Dustyn: "Ah, "Everything About You", the track that started it all!"

Scott: "Oscar's favourite song, am I right?"

Oscar: "Don't even go there."

Scott: "I love how much you can't stand this song, haha!"

Oscar: "To be honest, I've grown more accustomed to it over the years. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think it's the best song in the world. I don't listen to it by choice but when I hear it, I no longer want to vomit blood. The process of remastering these tracks has either numbed me or opened my mind a little. I think all artists cringe at their earliest work but I can appreciate it for what it was. We wouldn't be here right now if it wasn't for this song."

Dustyn: "I've always enjoyed the song! Yeah, it's just fluffy pop but not everything has to be ground-breaking. Sometimes you just want to bop along. Honestly think that with the guitars, it still fits in with a lot of our more recent work. We can easily amp this one up and rock it a little harder on stage today. I absolutely love the energy of the song. My boy Shay adores it too!"

Riley: "This song changed our lives. I remember recording it and thinking that it was a great pop song but I had no idea what it would go on to become! I associate this song with such great times. That sweet spot in the band where we were new to it, having so much fun and experiencing so many firsts while also still having anonymity. All the excitement of making music, shooting a video and stuff like that but all before we blew up. It was all so carefree and I think you can hear that on the track and witness it in the music video. Our genuine excitement just shines right through!"

Scott: "That video! That was such a blast. Swear I still have sand in places though."

Dustyn: "Filming that video was the first time I had ever left the continent! I think it was also the first time in America for a lot of us as well. It was such a special moment and it really didn't feel like work. It was just us running about a beach, having the time of our lives and singing a great pop song. At first, I didn't understand why it blew up the way it did but now I realise that it really captured what we're about as a group. "Everything About You" is us in are purest form. Fun, friendship and frolics. Life soon got to us after this, haha!"

Billy: "I didn't get any solo lines on this one so I'm refusing to speak about it."

All
Dustyn
Billy
Oscar
Riley
Scott

"EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU"

I swore that I could move any mountain
No ocean too deep, no storm I couldn't face
Always in control of these surroundings
No hill too steep, no jump I couldn't take
But that was way back when
Yeah, it was a different story then

Just one look has got me feeling things
All it took to wrap me up in chains
Can't shake it, think I'm going insane
Should call for help but I don't want to

Caught up in the blinding headlights
Oh my, I never saw this coming
These thoughts just spiral at night
Swear you should've came with a warning
Can't put my finger on what it is you do
It's everything, everything about you-ooh-ooh

Crept right on in like a thief in the night
I wanna speak up but I just step right back
Try to cool off while you're burned in my mind
But I'm walking on air, drifting way off track
Off kilter, going 'round the bend
Yeah, still trying to play pretend

Just one look has got me feeling things
All it took to wrap me up in chains
Can't shake it, think I'm going insane
Should call for help but I don't want to

You-ooh-ooh
You-ooh-ooh-ooh

Just doing that thing you do
You-ooh-ooh
You-ooh-ooh

Swear you should've came with a warning...

You-ooh-ooh
You-ooh-ooh-ooh

You-ooh-ooh
You-ooh-ooh

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 7 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 17/10/2022(UTC), PANIC! on 17/10/2022(UTC), erich hess on 17/10/2022(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 17/10/2022(UTC), Welat65 on 17/10/2022(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 18/10/2022(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/10/2022(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2023 08:08:59(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Smile About It
Genre(s): Pop, Electropop, Dance-pop
Length: 3:24
Writers: D.Blue, R.Hamilton, B.Khan, O.Ward, S.Wellington
Producer: MakeAScene
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: Fired Up

Smile About It is a song by British-Irish boy band Weekend. It served as their second single from their freshman album, Fired Up. Written by Dustyn Blue, Riley Hamilton, Billy Khan, Oscar Ward and Scott Wellington, the song was released by Angel Music Records on March 13th, 2012. Production was handled by British duo MakeAScene. It is an upbeat pop and electropop song which has a bombastic and anthemic sound to it. "Electro-tinged", the track also contains prominent siren sound effects throughout its duration. Although likened to its predecessor for its "loud", "catchy" and "boisterous" nature, "Smile About It" differs in the fact that its production is studio generated unlike the live instrumentation of their debut release. The song features lead vocals from Dustyn Blue and Oscar Ward while all five members sing the chorus in unison. "Smile About It" is a noteworthy release in Weekend's discography as it was the first song ever written by the band and is the result of a "fight" with their team at the time over creative control. Lyrically, the song is a tongue-in-cheek take on dealing with the aftermath of a breakup.

Upon release, "Smile About It" received generally positive reviews with many publications appearing less hostile and more receptive to the band in comparison to when they released their debut. Many critics commended the group's first attempt at writing and others praised their ability to switch from rock-pop to dance while some perceived it as "hit chasing". Kallum Devine of AllMusic branded the song as "instantly infectious" before proclaiming that "Weekend have arrived". The song gained instant attention and traction across radio and television networks, aided by another viral music video. The clip was noted for its vibrancy and the "iconic" coloured suits worn by the band. It kickstarted the long association of Weekend with a specific individual colour; Oscar (Red), Dustyn (Blue), Billy (Purple), Riley (Green) and Scott (Orange). The single debuted at #1 on Chart Heat, becoming the first of multiple chart-topping records for the band. After claiming the top spot, backlash from other artists ignited once more with many dubbing them "industry plants" and "disingenuous". "Smile About It" has since gone on to become one of the best-selling songs of all-time according to Chart Heat data. It was Weekend's biggest selling single until 2019's "Be A Man".

WEEKEND'S REFLECTION

Riley: "This was the first song we ever wrote together, lads!"

Scott: "My how we've grown."

Dustyn: "We must've thought we were real grown back then. The lyrics are so icy and pessimistic. Sarcastic little buggers. I had literally just turned 16 when we wrote this. What life experience had I had? Who hurt us?!"

Riley: "I still think it holds up to be fair. It's such a punchy song and that's what we set out to do. This one was all about proving people wrong."

Dustyn: "Yeah, I remember we battled with the label to allow us to write..."

Billy: "A few chairs were thrown."

Dustyn: "A few chairs were thrown, yes. When they caved in and allowed us to write something, I remember thinking; "OK, we have to knock this out of the park. We need to prove that we can write a great pop song on our own." I think we did that!"

Oscar: "We owe a lot to this track. I vividly remember the rush we felt during the release and that feeling of satisfaction. Not only had we been able to prove people wrong and shown that we could write, the label sheepishly came to us and told us that they wanted it to be the second single. Oh, we were so smug!"

Riley: "And it went to number one!"

Oscar: "Yeah, our first number one! For me, one of the highlights of our career. Felt on top of the world and untouchable at the moment."

Billy: "MakeAScene really did their thing on the production as well. I knew we had a great song with the vocal melody alone but when they hit play on that big, bubbly electro track?! Pairing that with the cold, sarcastic as fuck lyrics was genius. And that intro?! Holy fuck."

Riley: "God, yeah. That instrumental could strip paint. That and the video with us in those hideous but iconic coloured suits."

Scott: "Not those fucking suits! I still have nightmares. Some of yours weren't that bad. I was walking around all day in a bright orange suit looking like a bottle of Fanta!"

Dustyn: "I loved those suits! They were so camp! I've still got mine in storage."

Oscar: "I looked like a used tampon in mine!"

Riley: As garish as it all might have been, it all came together and just screamed the ballsy image and sound of Weekend. Those opening lines about tea and toast as well..."

Scott: "How British Invasion of us!"

Dustyn: "Yes and you make the Irishman sing them!"

Oscar: "To be fair, I'm sure you did actually write those lines, Dust."

Dustyn: "Oops!"

Billy: "When I think of "Smile About It", I definitely associate it with our true arrival."

Dustyn: "Weekend have arrived, baby!!"

All
Dustyn
Billy
Oscar
Riley
Scott

"SMILE ABOUT IT"

Toast is burnt and the tea's turning cold
Only static churning on the radio
Concrete jungles block out the rainbow
Oh isn't it the saddest story ever told?
Third breakdown I've had today
Headphones on to numb the pain
Ticket for the late night train
Hope to meet common sense when I'm halfway

Cliches of dancing 'til I die
"After dark comes the morning light"
Oh, whatever you say, hey!
I'm sure that I'll be a-okay!
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
God, does it go on much longer?

So I'm gonna scream (ay!)
Yeah, I'm gonna shout (oh!)
Like I've got something to smile about
Come on, let's preach it to the choir
Leave these fractured hearts inspired
No, you can't put out my fire
And yeah, see I'm a real good liar

Another chat with an expert on relations
Textbook quotes with no heart in the equation
Threatened to reroute all my invitations
Guess it's time to build a new foundation
But they play our song in every bar
Salt in the wound before I even scar
Cursing your name in the back of this car
One day I'll work this out on my guitar

Turning through a broken sleep
Tired of counting dirty little sheep
But "tomorrow's a new day", hey!
"There's a light at the end of the tunnel"
Get me out before the whole thing crumbles

Cliches of dancing 'til I die
"After dark comes the morning light"
Oh, whatever you say, hey!
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
God, does it go on much longer?

Can Be Compared To:

UserPostedImage

thanks 3 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
PANIC! on 14/01/2023(UTC), C4AJoh on 14/01/2023(UTC), erich hess on 15/01/2023(UTC)