logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Head South Records  
#1 Posted : 05 September 2024 15:26:50(UTC)
Head South Records

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 75 post(s)
g

** Head South Celebrates Its 1st Anniversary with a Series of Unmissable Events in Brighton**

Brighton’s very own alternative music label, **Head South**, is marking its first anniversary with an eclectic lineup of events that showcase the city's creative energy and its thriving alternative music scene. From intimate live performances in secret locations to beachside DJ sets, Head South is taking over Brighton and Sussex this September and October. Whether you’re a vinyl addict, a fan of raw indie talent, or just looking for something different, there’s something for everyone in this unique celebration.

Expect performances by local artists, a one-of-a-kind pop-up CD and music poster flea market, a stop from the Voodoo Dolls tour, and much more. Don’t miss out the Q&A interview with label co-founders Eric Thompson and Cerys Nyland, who will reflect on the label’s journey so far and share exciting plans for the future.

Don't miss these events and follow them on this page. Get ready to dive into Brighton’s alternative sound in a way you’ve never experienced before!

Edited by user 05 September 2024 19:56:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Our Roster :
Cerys Nyland | Jack Dunn | Oona Clarke | Sigrún | Jugendstil | Voodoo Dolls | Mother of Tigers | Scream Team | Safiya Afolayan| Eireann Flannery | Harlow Reed | Hana Rahman
thanks 2 users thanked Head South Records for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 06/09/2024(UTC), C4AJoh on 06/09/2024(UTC)
#2 Posted : 05 September 2024 15:33:00(UTC)
Head South Records

j

Join us for an exclusive Q&A session with Head South co-founders Eric Thompson and Cerys Nyland. They’ll be discussing the label’s first year and what’s next for Brighton’s alternative music scene. Don’t miss it—click here to watch live!

Our Roster :
Cerys Nyland | Jack Dunn | Oona Clarke | Sigrún | Jugendstil | Voodoo Dolls | Mother of Tigers | Scream Team | Safiya Afolayan| Eireann Flannery | Harlow Reed | Hana Rahman
thanks 1 user thanked Head South Records for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 06/09/2024(UTC)
#3 Posted : 11 September 2024 05:19:05(UTC)
Head South Records

**Voodoo Dolls Celebrate Head South’s First Anniversary in the Most Unexpected Way**

On a windswept monday evening, about 200 fans gathered at the Shoreham Recycling Centre—yes, you read that right—to witness one of the most unconventional gigs of the year. The mysterious tweet from Head South's official account had sparked excitement and confusion in equal measure. "Shoreham Recycling Centre, monday 6pm" was all the invitation the label’s loyal following needed. After all, this wasn’t just any show—it was a celebration of the first anniversary of Head South, the indie label that had propelled post-punk icons Voodoo Dolls into the spotlight with their debut album, "Back Mutations".

Led by the duo of Jack Lai (vocals and drums) and Haru Shibata (vocals and guitar), Voodoo Dolls have made a name for themselves, playing guerilla gigs in supermarket car parks, it seemed only fitting that they would mark the occasion with a performance set against the backdrop of discarded furniture, broken appliances, and literal heaps of trash.

As fans entered the recycling centre, they were greeted by eerie voodoo dolls hanging from the gates, a grim but quirky welcome that set the tone for the night.

Inside, the setup was as raw as their music. Among piles of discarded material stood a lone drum kit and microphone, surrounded by a sea of waste. The message couldn’t have been clearer—this was a full-throated rejection of consumerism and waste culture. When Jack and Haru finally appeared, the crowd erupted. The band had arrived in their element.

Haru, guitar in hand, stepped up to the microphone with the kind of casual energy that has become her signature. “We are Voodoo Dolls, and this is a birthday party! 1, 2, 3, 4!” she shouted, launching straight into their opening number, a cover of "Garbage Truck" from "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World". The choice was brilliantly on-brand, the lyrics echoing the night’s trash-laden setting. Jack’s gritty vocals paired with Haru’s jangly guitar made for a raw, spirited performance that had the audience chanting along.

What followed was a typically Voodoo Dolls affair—gritty, chaotic, and bursting with energy. At one point, Jack gestured to the heaps of rubbish around them, deadpanning, "Welcome to Haru’s bedroom." The crowd exploded with laughter, while Haru, enigmatic , remained silent, offering only a sly smirk.

The atmosphere shifted when Haru stepped forward again. “This one’s called "Pay!” " she said in her soft-spoken voice. What followed was an intense rendition of their debut single, a blistering critique of human commodification. In the context of the recycling centre, it hit harder than ever, with the surrounding garbage acting as a brutal metaphor for modern life.

UserPostedImage

Then came the highlight of the night—a performance of "Bullet Train", a track from "Back Mutations" that will soon be released as the band’s next single. The track, driven by Haru’s furious guitar work and the duo’s explosive chemistry, lit the room on fire. Fans thrashed in a pogo pit as the band ripped through the song, delivering its nihilistic lyrics with ferocity.

The lyrics:

Feeling like a bullet train
Racing straight ahead
I Lost my brain
Nothing in my Head

As far as I can go
I'm no hero,
As far as I can go
I'm no saint,
Just a loser with a ticket on a bullet train

Feeling like a bullet train
Racing straight ahead
I Lost my brain
Nothing in my Head

As far as I can go
I can't see
As far as I can go
I can't breathe
I'm Just a loser with a ticket
On a bullet train
On a bullet train
Bullet train
Bullet train

No destination, just a track,
Feels like I'm never coming back.
Feels like I'm never coming back.
Feels like I'm never coming back

Haru’s hypnotic delivery and the raw intensity of the music left the audience breathless.

UserPostedImage

Of course, no Voodoo Dolls set would be complete without their viral hit, *Assassin Man*. As the familiar opening chords rang out, the crowd went wild, singing along not only to the lyrics but to the dialogue from the band’s now-infamous manga-style music video. Fans even chanted, “Use your Anti-Pop Paw attack now, motherf***er!” in perfect unison, referencing the video’s cult Pokemon-style showdown between Haru’s Punkpup and Jack. The sense of community was palpable; for a few brief moments, the crowd and the band were one.

Raw, rebellious, and real, they stayed true to their roots, using their unusually stage to make a statement while keeping their fans close. Head South couldn’t have asked for a better way to kick off their anniversary celebrations.

Edited by user 01 October 2024 15:07:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Our Roster :
thanks 2 users thanked Head South Records for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 11/09/2024(UTC), erich hess on 11/09/2024(UTC)
#4 Posted : 02 October 2024 05:24:34(UTC)
Head South Records

**Hana Rahman Heats Up Brighton Beach with Eclectic DJ Set Despite Gloomy Skies**

The skies over Brighton Beach may have been grey and unforgiving, but Hana Rahman, the rising artist from Head South, was there to bring the fire. With roots in Birmingham and Indonesian heritage, Rahman has made her debuts in the music industry in 2024. Her single “I Wanna Die in Birmingham” dropped earlier this year, introducing us to her unique, cross-cultural style. But it’s her years as a DJ that truly showcase her eclectic taste and skill in bringing diverse sounds together.

Head South celebrated its first anniversary in true alternative style this past weekend, inviting one of their freshest signees, Hana Rahman, to take over the decks on Brighton Beach. Rahman, a Birmingham native with Indonesian roots, has made her debut with her first single, "I Wanna Die in Birmingham," dropped earlier this year. Her DJ skills, honed since her teenage years, took center stage at the label’s birthday bash, and she didn’t disappoint.

As the crowd gathered under a grey grey sky, the vibe was more autumn windbreakers than bikinis, but Rahman’s genre-hopping set proved warm enough to chase the chill from the air. Starting with the underground classic "My Love For You" by ESG, Rahman signalled from the jump that her selections were going to be anything but predictable.

What followed was a whirlwind of cross-cultural, boundary-pushing tracks that spanned continents and genres. Rahman expertly mashed up vintage Asian funk, jamaican, ska, african, and tropical beats, keeping the crowd on its toes and delivering a wonderful performance.

Her set flowed seamlessly from track to track, mixing iconic anthems like Sister Nancy’s "Bam Bam" and M.I.A.’s "Boyz" with deeper cuts like [color=blue]"Jing Jing" by Okinawan legend Shoukichi Kina[/color] and the irresistible grooves of "Cairo Cairo" by Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra. Each song felt like a little revelation, a cool breeze of sound that kept the crowd swaying, dancing, and intrigued throughout.

UserPostedImage

There were moments of pure brilliance, like when Rahman dropped Saigon Soul Revival’s "Nào Ta Cùng Hát" and followed it up with [color=blue]Altin Gün’s psych-funk take on "Doktor Civanim[/color]." From the bouncing rhythms of Reyna Tropical’s "Lo Siento" to the sun-soaked nostalgia of Kali Uchis’ "Nuestro Planeta," the set was an all-encompassing cultural trip, never once losing its pulse.

At the heart of it all, though, was Rahman’s ability to connect with the crowd. While Brighton Beach itself wasn’t exactly a packed festival ground—many attendees opted to lounge on the sand with beers in hand, chatting with friends—the energy surrounding her small stage was electric. The intimacy of the setting, combined with Rahman’s deft hand on the decks, created a sense of community, as if everyone was in on the secret that something special was happening, while the bouncing beats of Cornershop’s “Topknot and the haunting “Come on Home” by the Lijadu Sisters had the crowd moving in unison.

At the end of the performance, Rahman wrapped up her set on a perfect high note, the laid-back anthem "Uptown Top Ranking" by Althea & Donna, leaving the crowd both satisfied and hungry for more. And as the sun began to dip behind the clouds and the crowd settled into the final moments of Hana Rahman’s set, she closed with an instrumental by the Paradise Bangkok Molam International Band. The hypnotic rhythms and bright melodies of the track sent a huge wave of positive energy through the beach.

Despite the relentless wind, Hana Rahman’s performance proved why she’s one of the most exciting new names to come out of Head South. Her talent for blending genres, unearthing rare gems, and keeping listeners on their toes makes her a DJ to watch – and if her set on Brighton Beach is any indication, she’s only just getting started.

Edited by user 02 October 2024 21:59:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Our Roster :
thanks 1 user thanked Head South Records for this useful post.
erich hess on 03/10/2024(UTC)