logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline TheCDs  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2010 10:41:04(UTC)
TheCDs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I honestly don't understand the point of this thing. I am sure the Apple faithful will eat it up (on a side note, I am not an Apple hater. I own an iPod Touch and iPod Nano), but what use could it have for the average consumer. Some of the things I have heard that is intended for

Gaming
The iPod Touch/iPhone doesn't work well for most games, especially more traditional styled games. The lack of a physical input device is a killer. I don't like obstructing my view of the screen to press buttons, and the lack of a physical raised button makes it hard to find them at all. I am not supposed to have to locate the button everytime I want to use it. Even Nintendo included traditional physical inputs on the DS and that was built all around the touch screen. The other thing is the size, you are basically holding something as big as a piece of paper in your hand. People were having problems with the original XBox controller because it was so huge (before the S redesign) so I can't imagine the iPad is any more comfortable to hold.

Music
They already have the iPod Touch/iPhone and this thing is just to big to carry around to be a primary music player.

Internet Browsing
Again the much more portable iPod Touch/iPhone can already browse the web. Also for less than the minimum $499 price tag (that is without your 3G access) you can get a netbook that can run more software, such as office apps, or use USB peripherals, such as a DVD drive.

Video Player
This is about the only one I can see making a little sense. It has a nice large screen, although it isn't a true widescreen ratio. It also has the iTunes store built in so you can buy the video (as well as the free software that lets you rip your own DVDs which will more than likely be updated to work with the iPad resolution). However, $499 minimum for a portable DVD player is steep, and that isn't counting the money spent if you buy the video from iTunes.

All in all, I just don't understand who they are marketing this to. My only guess is that it is made to compete in the newly emerging netbook market, but with a price difference of around $100 (Best Buy's website lists 14 netbooks for less than $300) I can't see it working out. I know Apple markets its PC's and laptops at much higher prices than Windows based machines but the Apple computer line has some software that is viewed as being much better than its Windows counterparts (specifically design and multimedia editing software), the iPad has none of that.

Will it succeed? I don't know, but it is hard to doubt Apple right now. Their loyal fanbase will buy these and their hip reputation will probably make this the new cool thing to takes notes on in a college class. Even then, I still don't see a large enough market to make this a profitable venture for them.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline PANIC!  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2010 11:07:11(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
It will be successful. But right upon release people are going to criticize everything it doesn't have. No Multitasking and No Flash are the two things that keep me from loving this product. I love everything Apple but I don't see this as a good alternative to a netbook. When you think about you could probably buy a good netbook and an iPod for what the iPad cost. Both of which are more portable than the iPad.

The video player would be a reason I would have bought it, until I found it that it had no flash. So, you would have to watch everything from either YouTube or bought material from iTunes. I for one, most of the time, don't watch TV much and I catch up on my shows online through Hulu and other services like that.

What I dislike with not only the iPad but most Apple products is that they are in complete lockdown from anything that isn't Apple-approved. That and the fact that even if it is contract-free, the 3G only works with AT&T paying 30 dollars a month.

Apple don't have any product that fails, unless you count the Apple TV which if they someday add a monthly subscription service it would be more than just a iTunes streaming content.
UserPostedImage
Offline Gildermershina  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2010 11:29:19(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
The point of this thing is, whatever digital thing exists that people haven't yet fully come to embrace, Apple will come along with one unifying model under one simple unified marketing structure, and instantaneously destroy their competitors, not necessarily with quality, but with ubiquity.

The iPod is not the best mp3 player. The iPhone is not the best smartphone, or all-in-one portably digital placenta. iTunes is not the best music store or media player software. But they have the most consistent marketing, the most brand penetration, and therefore have the most support, and in the great too-advanced-a-concept-for-Ayn Rand-to-understand the vicious commercial circle completes its first revolution. The more it is perceived as the unified industry standard, the more appealing it seems to customers and developers. The more appealing it seems, the more it sells. The more it sells, the less competitors sell, the more the device is perceived as the unified industry standard. And round and around we go.

And then it proliferates and snowballs. The iPod guaranteed success for the iPhone, the iPhone for the iPad.

Put simply though, it's a device that if it were made by Sony, or Nokia, or LG nobody would give a shit. Because it's made by Apple, people think "wow, it must be something I need in my life." Thus it will artificially create a new and wholly unnecessary paradigm for an ever more technology-dependant consumer culture. Much like the digital readers that people are still pushing though, when you really think about it, all it's doing is reconstituting and repackaging existing technologies and concepts into a diluted and ersatz facsimile. On the surface it seems so new and exciting, but on reflection they're selling you a low-power netbook with a touch screen interface in an overpriced premium Apple shell, thus proving that by sticking an i in front of something, Apple will succeed in selling you something you already had, and didn't even need in the first place.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Mt. Epic  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2010 13:10:31(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
The ipad really is kinda pointless. It's really just a large ipod, which isn't very smart cuz the ipod was designed to be a portable apple device. Besides, isn't the apple tablet enough for a large scale ipod-like computer?
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2010 04:03:23(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Can't wait til the I-microwave comes out!
Offline bikz  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2010 04:19:17(UTC)
bikz

Woman

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 78 post(s)
No, I'm looking forward to the iToothbrush. Use the back of the brush to play your music as you brush your teeth, while Apple secretly shoves more iDrugs down your gob between the bristles, so that you'll buy the next overpriced and overrated piece of iCack that Apple put out! OOH YAY!
UserPostedImage
There is only one Rockstar Game - and it's your home! <-- still true (:
joshy, neon bras and full frontal neck nuzzling | blacked out by sean smith's neck | startled by joshy's furry presence
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2010 04:35:41(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
bikz wrote:
No, I'm looking forward to the iToothbrush. Use the back of the brush to play your music as you brush your teeth, while Apple secretly shoves more iDrugs down your gob between the bristles, so that you'll buy the next overpriced and overrated piece of iCack that Apple put out! OOH YAY!

They are actually selling real I-apple fruits.
Offline bikz  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2010 05:19:11(UTC)
bikz

Woman

It's all iBollocks to me, can't tell one iProduct from another - not bought anything Mac yet and I'm sure I won't. Bring back the good auld days when the only reason you'd buy anything Apple made is because you didn't like Microsoft and were picking what was, at the time, the lesser evil.
UserPostedImage
joshy, neon bras and full frontal neck nuzzling | blacked out by sean smith's neck | startled by joshy's furry presence
Offline forkboy  
#9 Posted : 29 January 2010 05:59:07(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Of course, the iPod Classic is actually a pretty good piece of hardware.
Offline TheCDs  
#10 Posted : 29 January 2010 08:12:10(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
forkboy wrote:
Of course, the iPod Classic is actually a pretty good piece of hardware.

I actually don't mind my iPod Touch either. All the features of a smartphone (minus 3G, which I don't need since I go to a campus with free wi-fi everywhere) plus a ton of decent timewaster games.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline old.gregg  
#11 Posted : 29 January 2010 08:49:01(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I adore my iPhone, useful for everything (:

I wouldn't buy an iPad though, I just don't see it working well enough to replace a netbook or something. I can see people buying it because they 'need' the next Apple product, but ahh well, that's how they make their money.
-
Offline Mt. Epic  
#12 Posted : 29 January 2010 08:53:10(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Looks like the iTampon got some competition with the iPad.
UserPostedImage

Offline bikz  
#13 Posted : 29 January 2010 09:03:49(UTC)
bikz

Woman

Mt. Epic wrote:

DAMN YOU! I was about to make that joke. (Actually, I was going to quote some fawmer dude who made that joke, but meh.) Does anyone else find the name "iPad" kind of creepy for that reason!? It does sound like some sort of collaboration between Apple and Always. Ugh.
UserPostedImage
Offline Mt. Epic  
#14 Posted : 29 January 2010 10:40:51(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

bikz wrote:
Mt. Epic wrote:

DAMN YOU! I was about to make that joke. (Actually, I was going to quote some fawmer dude who made that joke, but meh.) Does anyone else find the name "iPad" kind of creepy for that reason!? It does sound like some sort of collaboration between Apple and Always. Ugh.

lol, sorry.

I still, to this day, don't know why they decided to name it 'ipod'. Is it cuz it was supposed to look like a pod, even though all of them never did? Or, I might be wrong with my description of a pod, which I thought was supposed to be a container of things, most commonly of a somewhat spherical shape.
UserPostedImage

Offline bikz  
#15 Posted : 29 January 2010 14:55:23(UTC)
bikz

Woman

Mt. Epic wrote:
I still, to this day, don't know why they decided to name it 'ipod'. Is it cuz it was supposed to look like a pod, even though all of them never did? Or, I might be wrong with my description of a pod, which I thought was supposed to be a container of things, most commonly of a somewhat spherical shape.

The iPhone is the most misleading. How is it like a phone? ;)
UserPostedImage