logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline TheCDs  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2010 10:20:28(UTC)
TheCDs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So I finally finished it and I am quite happy with it. I feel like it, for the most part, was a much better game than its predecessor. There are a few things here or there that I was sad to see changed, but overall I am really pleased with it. I am also really excited for Mass Effect 3, more so because I managed to keep myself and my team alive during the suicide mission. What do you all think of it?

Edited by user 04 February 2010 07:39:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Gildermershina  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2010 12:40:19(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Yeah, I finished it myself this evening. Started a second playthrough because I lost three guys (due to not realising that the IFF mission was the opening of the ending). I'm too much of a natural paragon to go renegade, especially since this save will be the one I take into Mass Effect 3. The DLC so far has been pretty cool, but I'm really looking forward to the Hammerhead (hover tank). Not sure if I'd buy any DLC, unless it was something really awesome, but the free stuff, sure, I'll take it.

There were a lot of things that bugged me about Mass Effect 1, and mostly those things have gone. No more inventory, ridiculous armour and weapon swapping, no more bouncing around in that stupid Mako across barren planets, and best of all, more aliens in my team. Holding out for a Hanar in ME3. At least have one on the ship. Stick him in the medical bay and have it be something of an annoyance to Chakwas, much like EDI to Joker.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Regan  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2010 15:12:24(UTC)
Regan

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Been wanting to play it. Might buy it if I ever get the money.
thecerebral_collection:
quarantine | thewaitingroom | bunker18
Offline Aj  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2010 02:50:47(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
Yeah, I finished it myself this evening. Started a second playthrough because I lost three guys (due to not realising that the IFF mission was the opening of the ending). I'm too much of a natural paragon to go renegade, especially since this save will be the one I take into Mass Effect 3. The DLC so far has been pretty cool, but I'm really looking forward to the Hammerhead (hover tank). Not sure if I'd buy any DLC, unless it was something really awesome, but the free stuff, sure, I'll take it.

There were a lot of things that bugged me about Mass Effect 1, and mostly those things have gone. No more inventory, ridiculous armour and weapon swapping, no more bouncing around in that stupid Mako across barren planets, and best of all, more aliens in my team. Holding out for a Hanar in ME3. At least have one on the ship. Stick him in the medical bay and have it be something of an annoyance to Chakwas, much like EDI to Joker.

I haven't got it, do you still get to explore barren planets though ? I love doing that :(
Offline Gildermershina  
#5 Posted : 04 February 2010 05:20:02(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Aj wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

I haven't got it, do you still get to explore barren planets though ? I love doing that :(

No you don't get to do that. To get resources and side missions, you scan planets from orbit, sending probes down to scout them out.

That said, the free Hammerhead DLC is a hover-tank supposed to be used for vehicular missions, so at least some of that will be back. Doubt it'll be you scrambling up ridiculous terrain and popping out for three seconds to pick some metal though, so if you're into that, too bad. More likely to be the old Mako combat missions, probably a Thresher Maw or two.
Offline Aj  
#6 Posted : 04 February 2010 07:39:09(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
Aj wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

No you don't get to do that. To get resources and side missions, you scan planets from orbit, sending probes down to scout them out.

That said, the free Hammerhead DLC is a hover-tank supposed to be used for vehicular missions, so at least some of that will be back. Doubt it'll be you scrambling up ridiculous terrain and popping out for three seconds to pick some metal though, so if you're into that, too bad. More likely to be the old Mako combat missions, probably a Thresher Maw or two.

Daang, oh well I've seen a few screens of it and the fighting looks a lot better because last time it was a major let down, which kind of meant it was only fun if you used the engineer or vanguard or whatever it was called, because the shooting was pretty shite.
Offline Gildermershina  
#7 Posted : 04 February 2010 10:44:09(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Well the shooting is better, and the biotics and tech stuff is all better too. In the first one I had tech stuff, never used it because it was so damned fiddly. Now the pause menu is actually useful and you can actually properly command your sidekicks (though their AI is not perfect, they do tend to run way too far back for cover leaving you to get mauled by husks). Also, a lot more weapons, and they're all useful to some degree.
Offline TheCDs  
#8 Posted : 04 February 2010 14:57:52(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I never found the combat of the original game to be terrible. It wasn't great, especially next to what I consider to be a fantastic cover based shooter in Gears of War (story and visuals aside the gameplay and mechanics were great). There were some moments where things were frustrating (I personally hated the health system in the first one) and like Gildy said the tech and biotics could both be a little suspect at times but overall I wasn't turned off from the game for it. I am actually happy BioWare went ahead and eliminated the inventory system from the first game. I have heard a lot of people complain that the lack of inventory strips the game of RPG elements but for me it makes sense. This is a shooter at its core with a very gripping cinematic story wrapped around that core.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals