logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline gumba  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2010 01:02:31(UTC)
gumba

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Taken from Q magazine March '10

A Round With...Stephen Holland

Q finds himself sitting in a pub in suburban Melbourne. It is fairly typically Australian, a mostly middle-aged labourer clientele, most of whom don't seem to have showered after work and are therefore caked in dirt, stand at the bar and watch the Australians thrashing the West Indies in the cricket. Q is aware that interviewing Stephen Holland has the potential for controversy at the best of times, let alone itnerviewing him in a pub. Then Stephen Holland walks in wearing a navy wife-beater singlet, Ray Bans and a scarf (It's 36 degrees).

"You Q?" I nod, "Haha, hiya pal, pleashed to mee chu." Oh shit, he's already pissed.

It's Q's round, what are you having?

Jack Daniels and Coke

You sound like you've been hitting it already?

Nah mate, I just put that voice on as a joke. Well actually I had a few beers with lunch, and one or two by the pool this afternoon. I'm not pissed though.

You've been pretty critical of certain other stars recently. What's brought that on?

A lot of people think it's a publicity thing. Like, because we've been away for a while we're trying to make a splash by getting in the papers. Fuck that! We're fucking Pilot mate, we could bugger off for 20 years and people would still know us. We've burnt ourselves in the international fucking psyche. It's been building up for a while really, and generally I'll hold my tongue. But something puts me over the edge, fucking watch out. Jonny Johnson claimed his band to be the best in the last 25 years. Whoa-ho, hang on. They might be a touch better than Crazy Frog at a stretch. From there, well, there's a lot built up as I said, it just opened the floodgates man.

What other artists are in that Stephen Holland pool of hate?

Ha, no no. Don't try and make me run my mouth just so you can make a decent story out of this. I know what you're up to pal. And you're lucky I don't take offence to that, it just so happens I think 'pool of hate' is a fairly accurate description though, haha. Oh, fuck, I do wanna say that I've just been reading Ryan Ross Hernandez's interview in Rolling Stone. What the fuck's he on about? At first I loved what he was saying, but it's skin-fucking-deep man. If he doesn't want to be in the tabloids then don't date actresses, don't move to Hollywood, don't go to places that only celebrities go. (Pilot) all avoid the tabloids by living as normal a life as you can live making tens of millions of dollars a year. Then he's carrying on like he's the only one that's written a song that's meant something. Fuck off! Just coz you're the only fucking male artist that cries every night doesn't mean you're more of an artist. Also he's a Republican so he can fuck right off.

Shall we move on to the album?

Shall we move on to a second drink?

You've finished already?

(Presuming Q's getting the next round) Another JD and coke thanks.

(Returning with drinks) So what's your personal views on Pilot's upcoming album?

Well I wrote a lot of the songs so I like it a lot. Do I think it's going to be as well received as The Leed Balloon or Inside Newtopia? Well now every fucking album we do gets compared to those two. To be honest I don't think it's up to their standard. But we're evolving all the time and it's the most different we've sounded without just completely ripping off The Mars Volta. I like that we're pissed off too. Being mopey didn't work on our second album (Love Is For Fools) but I've got a funny feeling being pissed off will work on this one. I've got a feeling people are tiring of us being fun and...well, fucking strange.

Why do you think the songs are pissed off on this record?

Well I wrote a lot of them, ha. But the world's just decaying man, look around. In general we're (Pilot) pretty easy going guys. Not me so much, but the others. But things have got to a point where it's just like, 'what the fuck is going on?' This war's gust going on forever and no one even seems to notice it. My grandparents keep going on at me about what it was like growing up during a war. I'm like, 'so did I. It's just the most surreal war in history.'

Your new single, Sirens, seems to be pointing the finger at women...

It's not all women, though it seems like it's most. Yeah, it's about the way they use sex as a trap to get their way and how they can wrap good men around their little finger. Using the Sirens myth from Greek mythology as a metaphor for that obviously. There's a lot of that 'Pussy Trap' bit from Eddie Murphy's Raw in the philosophy of that song.

I notice you're carrying on with the Sally songs on this record. Who's Sally based on?

There's no one that Sally's actually based on, it was just an idea when we were writing our first record to write a song about a thirtysomething-year-old lady with kids who goes out drinking and dancing on the weekends (Sally Thirtysomething). The name Sally just fit with the song. Clint's got a cousin called Sally who thinks the song's about her. But she doesn't have any kids so her argument kind of falls down. We didn't think much of it at the time but the more we've grown the more we've felt it's an important song and now 'Sally' is a means of singing about the types of women who piss you off. So in Cash(ed Up) Cow she'd married a rich guy and is just spending all his money like there's no tomorrow. Now in Cigarettes For Sally the husband is just completely pussy-whipped and goes out to get her cigarettes with his money while she sits on her fat arse, all in the hope he can get a blowjob.

Finally, we've not heard any plans on a tour for this album. What's going on there?

We're gonna delay the tour for a while after teh album is released. With the last one we finally started to bring a stadium show to our stadium gigs. We wanna develop the stadium show for this tour, and that's stretching our brains because in general we're not creative artistically. Except with music, hopefully we're ok at that.

Edited by user 18 February 2010 01:06:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pilot are: Nick Edmondson (vocals, guitar), Clint Walkingshaw (guitar, vocals), Murrray Catalano (guitar, keys), Andrew Blackwell (bass), Stephen Holland (drums, vocals)

Pants Festival are: Andrew "Rooster" Dunnell (vocals), Kuhilan "Ku" Gounder (guitar), Stephen "Popa" Poepjes (guitar, vocals), Clinton "Gandy" Gandy (bass), Matt Hanson (drums, vocals)

Labrats are: Milton Mitchell (vocals, synths, guitar), Lara Branik (guitar), Liam Mitchell (synths, turntables), Preston Abelford (bass), Bonnie Snell (drums)
Offline PANIC!  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2010 11:08:09(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
"Nice job, Mister Holland. I actual respect Pilot's music very much, but I won't sit here and let you twist and turn my words up. In that interview I never once said that I didn't want to be in the tabloids, I dislike it, yes, I think anyone would hate having their private life invaded but I've learned to dealt with it. Not once have I sat down and gone, "Why me?", I knew it was gonna happen but I'm not gonna say, "Oh, yeah, I love having the front of my house filled with paparazzi's!". Yet, I live in the wildest of places a celebrity can live in yet but I don't get bitch drunk stupid, I don't use drugs, I don't fuck women I barely know. Hey, more than half of the artist/bands today do that and they don't even fucking live in Hollywood.

Also, in no way am I here thinking every song I write is a classic. But just like you are, I'm confident of my work, my songwriting ability. I take pride that what I write isn't sugar-coated like 98% of music on the radio today. So, yes, I use real-life experiences as a songwriting tool. I'm not the first to ever do that. I'm a fucking singer/songwriter.

Despite this, it doesn't change the fact that I have a great deal of respect for Pilot. But you know, we have more in common than you think. I mean "pool of hate," I've talked shit about almost every mainstream act active right now. I'm an asshole, I know that, but I admit it. I'm sorry that I am a little too deep for some people.
"

--.` Ryan Ross Hernandez.

Edited by user 18 February 2010 11:26:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline TheCDs  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2010 11:25:49(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tim Dunn: I love some Jack and Coke. Of course since I started making money I have moved on to Gentleman's Jack or Single Barrel. I just love whiskey.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline old.gregg  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2010 11:28:54(UTC)
old.gregg

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Touring with Pilot is the best experience I've had in music. Any band that are still putting out quality music after all that time are true legends. They've got their heads well around live shows too. If you haven't seen Pilot live, then do it.

All I'm saying is, we know who the real best band of the last 25 years is, don't we? (;

Jakey x
-
Offline gumba  
#5 Posted : 18 February 2010 13:19:31(UTC)
gumba

Responses. Ryan, yeah, probably should settle it at we're both talented musicians and we're both dickheads. I'd agree to that if you do. Tim, I love my Gentleman Jack, but in a pub like that you start ordering anything more upmarket than regular JD, you start getting spit in it. Jakey, cheers bro, we love you to.

- Stephen Holland
Pilot are: Nick Edmondson (vocals, guitar), Clint Walkingshaw (guitar, vocals), Murrray Catalano (guitar, keys), Andrew Blackwell (bass), Stephen Holland (drums, vocals)

Pants Festival are: Andrew "Rooster" Dunnell (vocals), Kuhilan "Ku" Gounder (guitar), Stephen "Popa" Poepjes (guitar, vocals), Clinton "Gandy" Gandy (bass), Matt Hanson (drums, vocals)

Labrats are: Milton Mitchell (vocals, synths, guitar), Lara Branik (guitar), Liam Mitchell (synths, turntables), Preston Abelford (bass), Bonnie Snell (drums)
Offline PANIC!  
#6 Posted : 18 February 2010 13:33:42(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
gumba wrote:
Responses. Ryan, yeah, probably should settle it at we're both talented musicians and we're both dickheads. I'd agree to that if you do.

- Stephen Holland

"Hey man, I got no problem with agreeing with that. I think I already got enough people hating the living shit outta me plus I'm a fan of Pilot so why would I wanna stir up shit with hell, even my bandmate in PANIC!, Ashley worked on a track with you guys on your last record. So, you guys are one of the few artist I actually respect, so why start unnecessary shit. We, well, I already got enough shit to deal with. Hope I get a copy of the new album, when it's released, or just send Ashley one and I'll steal it from her. Above all man, it is all about the music!"

--.` Ryan Ross Hernandez.

Edited by user 18 February 2010 13:34:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline gumba  
#7 Posted : 18 February 2010 21:42:24(UTC)
gumba

Love it man, love it. You will get a copy...Guess we'll give Ashley one too so no one has to steal anyone elses.

- Stephen Holland