logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline troy211619  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2010 00:18:19(UTC)
troy211619

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Now for all of you who haven't heard of Reckoner need to get a listen of their debut album "Ïnvisible" right now. I'd have to say this is one of the best debuts of a band in the history of UK Music...considering it was recorded in only a week and was rushed into release two weeks later!!! At first you might think of it as just another rock album, but as I listened even more closely, I found something unique in the lyrics of the songs and the music overall so i think it's a pretty good album...

Oxygen is a slow pop like song consisting mainly of JC Anderson's piano and Troy Mascenon's acoustic guitar. The song as explained by the band is about all the simple things in life. Looking deeper into the song, I realized that the song is the point of view of this average person, who is afraid of the time when glaciers would melt and the world would be submerged in water, so he leaves behind all he ever had, his car, his home, and lives a simple life in the countryside.

One of my most favorite tracks in the album is their ever-so-famous Negative. The song begins with eerie guitar arpeggios by Carl Morrisson backed by JPC's groovy bassline and Tristan Fuller's light drumming progressing into a clash of the guitars with JC and Troy's heavily distorted guitars playing during the chorus and the bridge. The song is about Troy's depression as a child and his life under pressure. "The song is a feel-good song for me, I made it at those times when I felt really depressed and just needed something to hold on to, and that's what Negative is", Troy explains.

Another fave track of mine is Comatose.The song is the darkest song in the entire album but it also has got to be one of the best. The song progresses from synth guitar and pianos to distorted guitars and cymbal crushing drums.The song is about Troy's dream where he was stuck in a room and tried to get out but realized that he was paralyzed and couldn't move a muscle."It was a pretty scary experience for me, I hate those dreams where I feel so helpless, it makes me even weaker by the minute. Luckily I have stopped having those dream and I believe that was related to my depression state", Troy explains with a serious look on his face.

Scream is the band's only song to have been written during the recording process. It consists mainly of heavy guitars and is heavily influenced by Nirvana,Pearl Jam, and other grunge acts. "On day 4 of the recording sessions, we had finished recording 6 songs and we needed 4 more to record to complete the album. At day 6 we had completed 9 songs and needed one more song to finish it all off but we had no more songs to record so we hurriedly made a new song, after a joke to make something like Smells Like Teen Spirit, and that's how Scream came in and maybe that's what Scream is all about, being hurried and pressured into doing something, something that makes you scream."

Falling Away From You is a personal song about Troy. "The song ,mainly, is about the conflict of the mind, body, and soul. It's about losing your old self and turning into something you are not. It is the oldest song from the band and I believe I wrote it back when I was 11 after a fight with a good friend of mine who told me I was changing into something she didn't like, now we're still good friends and the arguement has been long forgotten", the song's emotional lyrics and melody is layered by clean guitars and its main attraction is the one high note Troy is able to maintain during the bridge of the song.

Nothing Touches Me is my favorite song off the album. The song isn't too complicated and not even too simple, its just the right formula, and reminds me of the 80s very much with Troy singing in a Bono-esque voice and JC's keyboard frenzy."The song, and I guess you all haven't realized, was about my irritability with salespeople in the malls. I usually don't go to malls since all the "scenekids" are there and they just piss me off but we have some times when we are really in need to do something even though you dislike it so much.Usually I go to the mall to buy some clothes, food or anything else I'd need, I always have this feeling of irritation when someone comes close to me and entertains me or sells something to me even though I never asked for anything. No offence to those people since they're just doing there job, but I just want to be alone",everybody begins to laugh.

Rain is a simple song following a simple chord progression and a simple melody, in other words Rain is a simple song. That is what ignorant people might say about Rain, but I personally believe that Rain is one of the most special tracks on the album. The background of the song(if you have the chance to turn the other instrument's volumes low) is a recording of actual rain. The song consists of guitars, guitars and even more guitars."If you haven't noticed, we actually used 4 guitars in this song, two for the rhythm, one for the lead, and one just to add extra distortion because its just so...Lovely",JC says in a half serious and half joking face.

Speaking of guitars, Strike is one of the most mind blowing songs ever made and this is considered Reckoner's fave track off the album."If you asked us what our favorite track off the album, we would all respond with Strike", says Troy. Strike begins with a bluesy riff by Carl bursting into a guitar rock opera in the ending."The song is about our hatred for our own school. Our school looked like a multisecured facility for juvenile delinquents, it was the worst experience I have had in my life, luckily we were able to survive all the years we've been in their and this song is about how f***** up that school was... Would you edit the f*** out or just let it be?", everybody bursted into laughter.

Broken is an acoustic solo song. It's about Troy's failed relationship with his past girlfriend and how he was broken by everything that had happened.

Last and not the least is fan favorite Bring Me Down. The song begins with a 5 second drum intro by Tristan leading into 'chaotic,psychadelic, guitar noises'."The song is about the same girl in Broken and this is more of heavy hatred for her instead of feeling sorry for myself. The song originally didn't have all those guitar noises, but JC decided to sneak it in while we all were in a break, and it was good since it added that extra feel of wanting to destroy something that had destroyed you, its PAYBACK TIME!"

OVERALL:
After that great interview and after listening to the album, I would give the album a rating of 4/5 stars. It was a great album overall, it still had some flaws but maybe it was because of the rushed recording process, maybe if they'd record an album in more amount of time and better quality they'd get into the top spot of the charts!
-Huey Luey(NME)
zicon wrote:
So what is Role Play all about, Imagination?

Aj wrote:
I don't dislike pop, I dislike bad music.

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline Laurelles1  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2010 00:38:18(UTC)
Laurelles1

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
Jason: Only 4? I gave it a listen and it was seriously the best album i've heard in ages. Nice work, guys.
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline bikz  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2010 01:26:33(UTC)
bikz

Woman

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 78 post(s)
OOC : Really, REALLY well-written! :D

The full album isn't just a set of amazing tunes, though that it is; this is a reflection on real life. I don't like to just hear music, I like to see it, to feel it, to know that it was written for a reason, and with Reckoner's "Negative" you can feel every bit of love, fear, hate and tears that went into the mixture. This may be the beginning of Reckoner's journey, but this is top class both emotionally and technically, good enough to be mistaken for a fourth or fifth album, rather than a debut.
As Bristosh used to say - five asterisks! (:
-raven.
UserPostedImage
There is only one Rockstar Game - and it's your home! <-- still true (:
joshy, neon bras and full frontal neck nuzzling | blacked out by sean smith's neck | startled by joshy's furry presence
Offline troy211619  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2010 01:33:49(UTC)
troy211619

Man

bikz wrote:
OOC : Really, REALLY well-written! :D

The full album isn't just a set of amazing tunes, though that it is; this is a reflection on real life. I don't like to just hear music, I like to see it, to feel it, to know that it was written for a reason, and with Reckoner's "Negative" you can feel every bit of love, fear, hate and tears that went into the mixture. This may be the beginning of Reckoner's journey, but this is top class both emotionally and technically, good enough to be mistaken for a fourth or fifth album, rather than a debut.
As Bristosh used to say - five asterisks! (:
-raven.

OOC:Thanks!
JPC:Its really overwhelming for a LEGEND like you, Mrs. Comatose, to give compliments about our debut album, it was really nice of you!

Edited by user 21 February 2010 01:40:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

zicon wrote:

Aj wrote:

Liam

UserPostedImage
User is suspended until 11/08/2288 11:47:34(UTC) Greenleaf  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2010 01:35:31(UTC)
Greenleaf

Green Leaf: 4 stars well deserved :) Will be getting this!

UserPostedImage

YES I am.......
Offline troy211619  
#6 Posted : 21 February 2010 01:35:55(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Laurelles1 wrote:
Jason: Only 4? I gave it a listen and it was seriously the best album i've heard in ages. Nice work, guys.

OOC:Thanks!
Troy:Woah! 4/5 stars! That's something to celebrate about, Reckoner would be at the DB right now! Anyone want to come?
zicon wrote:

Aj wrote:

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline Laurelles1  
#7 Posted : 21 February 2010 01:37:54(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
Jason: Definitely. The Mind guys'll be there in a sec.
OOC: Fucking homework at the mo >:(
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Regan  
#8 Posted : 21 February 2010 18:16:19(UTC)
Regan

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I had a chill from beginning to end when I listened to the album on the tour bus last night on the way to our next show. And I swear I was sober not drunk or on anything else on the fun magical tour bus with The Nimrods and Jakey.
-Regan Futrell
thecerebral_collection:
quarantine | thewaitingroom | bunker18
Offline troy211619  
#9 Posted : 21 February 2010 18:32:22(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Regan wrote:
I had a chill from beginning to end when I listened to the album on the tour bus last night on the way to our next show. And I swear I was sober not drunk or on anything else on the fun magical tour bus with The Nimrods and Jakey.
-Regan Futrell

Troy:Thanks! Quarantine has always been and always will be our biggest inspiration in the industry and its an honor to have your positive reaction on our album!
zicon wrote:

Aj wrote:

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline old.gregg  
#10 Posted : 21 February 2010 21:22:45(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Brilliant album, lads! One of the best releases this year, easy.

Look forward to having you on tour with me!

- Jakey Comatose

OOC: Really, really good album description - 5/5 :P
-
Offline troy211619  
#11 Posted : 21 February 2010 21:26:22(UTC)
troy211619

Man

old.gregg wrote:
Brilliant album, lads! One of the best releases this year, easy.

Look forward to having you on tour with me!

- Jakey Comatose

OOC: Really, really good album description - 5/5 :P

OOC: Thank you very much, its really flattering to receive those kinds of comments!
JPC: Thanks! We're looking forward on touring with you too, or maybe even have the chance on working with you someday!
zicon wrote:

Aj wrote:

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline ExitMusic  
#12 Posted : 21 February 2010 21:26:47(UTC)
ExitMusic

Man

Mike: "Better than 4/5, could of been 6/5 for me."
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Exit: Indie Rock, Alternative Rock, Punk...
Offline troy211619  
#13 Posted : 21 February 2010 21:32:06(UTC)
troy211619

Man

ExitMusic wrote:
Mike: "Better than 4/5, could of been 6/5 for me."

Troy: Thanks for the compliment, we're beginning to really like you guys!
zicon wrote:

Aj wrote:

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline infinite135  
#14 Posted : 23 February 2010 03:41:18(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Eric: As a new band just starting out, it's absolutely TERRIFIC to hear a debut album this impressive. I just want to say congratulations, guys; you've really given us a quality standard to work towards.
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King