logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline infinite135  
#1 Posted : 23 February 2010 03:31:59(UTC)
infinite135

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
"I know everyone here is hoping the greatest band on earth is going to play here tonight," INFINITE singer/guitarist Eric Quillington tells the crowd, "Unfortunately... you're going to have to keep waiting." While it may be true that this new band obviously isn't the greatest band on earth, they definetely were the greatest in the battle of the bands contest. From Eric Quillington's energetic stage persona to Matt Roberts overwhelmingly strong bass riffs to Greg Oldson's complicated drum fills, this alternative band is doing a terrific job of quickly making a new of itself. A few hours after they were announced the winner, I had the opportunity to sit down and have an interview with them.

Q: Obvious question, but; how does it feel to be the winners of the battle of the bands?
Matt Roberts: Absolutely horrible
Eric Quillington: *laughs* Oh, it... honestly, I don't know what to think. I mean, I was completely sure we were going to be the worst. There were people up there who'd been playing for years, and we've only been together for a couple of months. It just, it just completely blows my mind.
Greg Oldson: Eric, you're speaking too quickly for the poor guy to write down what you're saying.

Q: I think I got all that he said. Anyways, next question; how would you define your sound?
Matt: Well, you tell us. You heard it, didn't you?
Greg: I'd say that our sound is a mix between indie and electronic. We wanted to be-
Eric: We wanted to be kinda unique, you know? I mean, there are so many bands like slipknot and metallica who... like, play the same kind of arena rock guitar over and over again. We just decided to be a bit different then everyone else. And, i dunno, i guess different can be a good thing.

Q: Judging by the reception of the crowd-
Matt: The fifty people that actually were there...

Q: Well, yes, judging by the reception of the crowd, I'm sure different is a good thing. Are there any bands that influenced you into this new music you're making?
Matt: Yes.
*awkward pause*
Eric: Well, each of us have radically different tastes in music, and... I guess that created our unique sound, I'd say. I'm more influenced by alternative bands like Muse, Radiohead, and Depeche Mode. Greg's more into indie bands like Modest Mouse and Bloc Party. And, Matt's interested in..
Matt: Stuff
Eric: *completely unfazed by sarcasm* Yeah, stuff. So, i guess those different tastes are important in our music.
Greg: We haven't really written much, yet, in case you haven't noticed. Most of our stuff is-
Eric: Yeah, cover songs, but we try and add our own little unique twist on it, like an extra chorus, bass riff, drum fill, guitar solo, song in different key. Stuff like that. We have written a few songs, but... we're more or less to embarrassed of them to play them on stage. I'm sure we'll get better with time.

Q: Of course. So, how did this band form?
Greg: Well, I played piano, and i wanted to form an indie band with a few of my friends, so i got Matt, who plays amazing bass.
Matt: I said yes. Horray for me..
Greg: And so all i needed was a guitarist, drummer, and singer, and then my then girlfriend introduced me to Eric, and he just blew me away with his playing. He could play piano, guitar, and-
Eric: And I can sing... even though i've always been somewhat embarrassed of my voice. It's so soft and, i dunno, pretty... I've always wanted a more deep and manly voice. But, i should just be happy with what i have.
Greg: So, he was such a great pianoist, that I felt ashamed of my playing abilities. The only instrument he told me that he sucked at was drums. So-
Eric: Just to prove to himself that he was better than me, he picked up the drums.
Greg: And I've just fallen in love with it... it's alot more expressive than piano. Anyways, we played together in my garage for a year, and-
Eric: And we did a few shows, and now we won the battle of the bands. It's been such an amazing experience so far.

Q: Do you want to become famous, or would you be content with being part of the underground scene?
Matt: If I have to be interviewed like this on a daily basis if i'm famous, then the underground scene is sounding pretty pleasant.
Eric: Oh, I'm really not sure... i mean, i've always wanted to be involved in a musical career, so this might be the perfect chance.
Greg: I'd like to mean something as a band. I don't want this to be a band that gets famous just for girls. I'd like our music to be meaningful and significant. OH, wow, she's a babe. Everyone, if you could excuse me.
*Greg gets up from table, walks to the bar and sits next to girl*
Greg: Hey girl, i'm in a band.

Q: Right... well, do you two have any last words to say before I leave?
Eric: I'd like to thank everyone for the support they've given us so far... we wouldn't be here today without you.
Matt: *falling asleep* Suck-up.
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2010 07:54:44(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8625 time(s) in 2703 post(s)
"Pretty good interview guys, I'll be looking out for your live shows"
- Aaron Joe
Offline ExitMusic  
#3 Posted : 23 February 2010 08:04:10(UTC)
ExitMusic

Man

Mike: "Sounds like a promising band, I'll be keeping my eyes open for you lot."
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Exit: Indie Rock, Alternative Rock, Punk...
Offline infinite135  
#4 Posted : 23 February 2010 10:36:40(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Eric: Thanks for taking the time out to notice us, it means alot. We'll make sure not to disappoint you during our live shows.
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Matt Roberts - Bass

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King
Offline troy211619  
#5 Posted : 23 February 2010 18:19:01(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 38 post(s)
OOC:Muse? Radiohead? Depeche Mode? Just add Queen and we'd have the same musical taste!

This is great! More alternative acts are coming in this year! Welcome to the music industry and just have a good time!
-Troy Mascenon(Reckoner)

Edited by user 23 February 2010 19:02:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

zicon wrote:
So what is Role Play all about, Imagination?

Aj wrote:
I don't dislike pop, I dislike bad music.

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline infinite135  
#6 Posted : 24 February 2010 02:54:28(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Eric: I know, this is turning out to be a great year for music! We're just glad to be part of the alternative music scene, and we hope we can live up to all the great bands that came before us.
Greg: And we will definetely be having fun on the way.
Matt: Yeah, i'm practically giddy with excitment...

OOC: I love Queen, by the way. I just wanted to list the three bands that would be the biggest influence on Eric, i didn't want to list every single band that would have an effect on him I'm glad there's another person who still likes Depeche Mode! Most of the people around here like rap, which i've never been too excited for.

Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Matt Roberts - Bass

UserPostedImage

- Stephen King