logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Raphaela  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2009 23:27:06(UTC)
Raphaela

Groups: Registered
Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
I'm sure that at some point of everyone's lives we say/think the phrase 'if I was rich...' or similar.
My question is, do you think life becomes more boring when you don't have to struggle for anything?
Suppose you're the son/daughter of a multimillionaire businessman. You never had to do much to get any books, records, trips, electronic stuff, video games, etc you wanted, 'daddy' would always give them to you.
You also don't have to study your ass off to get a good job, you'll inherit daddy's company when he dies and will always have a good job, despite how lazy you may be.
If you're caught with drugs or drunk driving, daddy can always get you out of jail without any complications.
Of course that it sounds good to have almost anything you want, but to me life loses its meaning, the struggle is the best part.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2009 23:36:21(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8589 time(s) in 2692 post(s)
I don't belong to a rich family but my family does have expensive things and we used to holiday twice a year, but it wasn't just that easy.
My parents both worked so hard so we could have these luxuries and when i was about 16 i got myself a job of sorts and paid half for me so it was easier for my family to afford this.
I'm currently working in a record store and i'm still saving towards moving to New York and i have been saving for a year or so.
Is it worth being rich?
Sure the luxuries are a great thing but i agree with you. I think if you have to struggle then you have a much more interesting life, it's not all handed out on a plate for you.
Offline Gildermershina  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2009 00:20:53(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Mixed blessing.

On the one hand, if one's life is simply a struggle to get by, what's the point. On the other hand, what's the point of sitting on your ass.

I figure, I'd like stable employment which gives me enough to survive, and that little bit extra so I can enjoy my time off. I don't want to work my ass off to be rich, I'd rather be happy than "successful" in traditional terms. I don't have the stomach for the backstabbing and the hard slog, and the always being on the market for a slightly better opportunity to jump ship... You know what I'd like to be? I'd like to be a guy running cables on a soundstage in Vancouver. Sigh.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2009 03:22:20(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Of course I'd love to be rich, nice house nice clothes, but I would never want it easy. If I was that rich I'd just keep them money for if I ever got into serious trouble and live life normally and just go on adventures and experiance life without the money, but always have it there if I needed. Sure it eliminates the risk but if you want to help the world and help people, of course money helps. It's just most of the time the people with the money aren't the ones that want to help people apart from themselves.

Sigh.
Offline forkboy  
#5 Posted : 24 November 2009 03:32:27(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I think plenty of people who have inherited vast sums of money have gone on to have become great philantropists. And really if you are rich then philanthropy is the only reason not to tax you back to merely comfortable.

I also think that most people are kidding themselves if they think they'd rather be "comfortable" while earning every penny than just falling into wealth because of birth. Think of all the good you could do.
Offline Mt. Epic  
#6 Posted : 24 November 2009 08:47:57(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I agree with gildermershima about what's the point of working and what's the point of sitting on my ass all day, but I'd prefer to sit on my ass thinking about it.
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline TheCDs  
#7 Posted : 24 November 2009 09:01:51(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think I would love to be rich. I enjoy learning and studying but the barrier is always cost. I would love the opportunity to be able to afford and get into the best schools in the world to learn from the most esteemed people in the fields. Instead of studying economics and journalism and getting out in 4 years because I need a job I might have stuck on my original path as a biochemistry major and then go into med school or get a PhD. or two. I there is the possibility that my personality would be completely different if I was rich, but if the person I am now became rich I would do so much that I cannot do in my current financial state.

My list of things I would do instead of sitting on my ass

-Get a few undergrad degrees and a couple PhD's
-Open a research/counseling center for people with depression or manic-depressive (bipolar) disorder. (It runs in my family, although I have yet to be formally diagnosed I occasionally show signs)
-Start an independent video game development studio and learn how to design and program games
-Actually design and commercially release a game
-Run for public office
-Become actively involved in various charities in capacities beyond just being another benefactor
-Create and write for my own magazine

Those are just a few things I would want to do once I don't have to worry about generating any income or providing for myself.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline sharinganerror  
#8 Posted : 24 November 2009 13:24:49(UTC)
sharinganerror

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Like gilder's post, I feel the same.
It was only until this year that we really had to struggle. My father has to deal with income taxes due to recent contract position which the faggots in HR couldn't be reminded to switch him to perm yet. Also he has to renew his AoG minister's license, which I can't fucking believe he has to pay for. Not to mention that the fucking "christian" school that I attended for a fucking month demanded an entire semester's pay in exhange for my drop-out, which they threatened with a lawsuit if we didn't pay up. Long story short, those assholes stated that they had "policies" when they had abso-fucking-lutely nothing legally binding, but.. being the christians we try to be, we decided to pay up and give a big fuck-you goodbye christmas present to those douchebag hypocrites. Cost me my damn christmas and birthday just to pay for, I hope they die and return to hell where they belong. So now I have to deal with the fact that I get shit for nothing while my stuck-up,spoiled brat sister gets everything she wants for christmas.

Edited by user 24 November 2009 13:26:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Captain Insano  
#9 Posted : 24 November 2009 22:10:33(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I wouldn't mind been rich, though that depends what level of wealth we are talking about. I'd certainly be happy with money to pay the bills, put some aside, invest it and occasionally spend it frivilously. Screw living on struggle street...sure having to struggle can build character through adversity but who seriously would rather struggle than be rich?
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline Shadowmire  
#10 Posted : 14 December 2009 04:18:23(UTC)
Shadowmire

I have no desire to 'struggle'. I only fear that I would lose my integrity through riches.
UserPostedImage
Offline Thorgrim  
#11 Posted : 14 December 2009 07:37:09(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

I honestly have no idea what it's like to not have any money. I grew up in a nice upper middle class family, and my mom and dad had worked their asses off to get where they are now (although my mom already came from a very well off family, that didn't quite go for my father). Although I've saved a lot of money by doing all sorts of menial jobs for the last four years, they even offered to pay for university books and all that crap.
Offline bvgf  
#12 Posted : 27 February 2010 21:46:01(UTC)
bvgf

Man

I'd rather be poor than be rich with no struggle.To be rich and struggle there is a life well EARNED.